• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Nintendo aiming for Zelda BotW release on June 16 (EUR), Switch release first

Status
Not open for further replies.
And they should be angry at Nintendo for screwing them over.

And it's still a shitty thing to do. There's no way that the Wii U version takes an extra week of work to complete.

Honestly.. If you have a Wii U and you're seriously complaining about the Wii U version coming out a week later than the Switch.. It's really fucking trivial as fuck.
It's purely for business. They want to maximize amount of switch consoles sold--because the switch WILL sell gangbusters and people will buy the Switch for Zeldait will sell more than the Wii U version The Wii U on the other hand is on life support and can't really move units.

It's not like this will dampen your experience on the wii u. It's still coming out.

Remember this happened to TP.

Man, fuck that. Some shitty ass business practices on display here if the rumor is true. I bought the wiiu for Zelda mainly so this feels like a slap in the face.

TP on gamecube got shoehorned and had the wii version come out at least a month before..

Madame M

Banned
I get that it's shitty and all but if you are that consequent about this with every other video game company, what games are left to play?

Nah Nintendo shits on their fans on the reg, I have no qualms about buying Nintendo games used from now on. It may be a blip in their system but these supposedly genius business decisions have unintended negative consequences for Nintendo.

Boycott.

I honestly don't get it. it's 1 week... one...

what's not to understand?

Nah Nintendo shits on their fans on the reg, I have no qualms about buying Nintendo games used from now on. It may be a blip in their system but these supposedly genius business decisions have unintended negative consequences for Nintendo.

Boycott.

It's a freaking week man. Yeah, it was originally developed on the wii u first, but its being put on the back burner and having the Switch come out--because they won't want the Wii U version to cannibalize with the Switch sells,it will help maximize sell Switch consoles.

The game isn't going anywhere. You'll still play it and it will have the same features. Just wait for a week.

If you are a Nintendo fan and you support the Switch, then you will understand that it only helps Nintendo and fans in the long run.

You could just as easily make the argument that TP on Wii was shoehorned with meh motion controls and flipping of the entire game for right handed link.

Never played the wii version. But the Wii version was intended to be the version to get and sell the Wii. The reason I got the GC version was to play left handed link.

If you hated the controls, that was a matter of preference. Skyward Sword on the Wii was amazing imo. The controls felt really immersive, and I hope BotW supports it.

Anyways, its apples to oranges. I'm not necessarily even talking about features/game play differences. I'm talking about how the original was shafted for the enhanced port to sell a new console.

Boycott.

We are eight months away, is it really a tragedy if it is eight months and a week? A week. 7 days.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Just think of the Switch version as releasing in another region. EU gets Pokemon a week later and I don't see any large boycott movements.

There is a double standard when it comes to Nintendo, I don't think anyone could deny that. People really care about Zelda, Mario and so on. So much so that they bought a Wii U just because they knew there would be a Zelda on that thing. Now, buying hardware before the software you want got released is irrational, but that's what happens if you really care about a hobby.

I think people are right to be angry about this, to a certain extent. Not having an exclusive Wii U Zelda in itself is Nintendo breaking one if its promises but at least there are a bunch of HD remasters to kinda make up for it. People just need to understand once and for all that Nintendo is a company just like any other company out there.

What does that have to do with anything.

The thing is Nintendo never specifically promised that WiiU would have an "exclusive" Zelda. They said they were making a Zelda for WiiU, it got delayed, things changed, its now multiplat with Switch. But their promise of it coming to WiiU is still happening. The thought that every Nintendo system has to have an exclusive Zelda is just some rational people have because every system before has had atleast one, but it doesnt mean that thats the standard operating procedure.

Madame M

Banned
It's a freaking week man. Yeah, it was originally developed on the wii u first, but its being put on the back burner and having the Switch come out--because they won't want the Wii U version to cannibalize with the Switch sells,it will help maximize sell Switch consoles.

The game isn't going anywhere. You'll still play it and it will have the same features. Just wait for a week.

If you are a Nintendo fan and you support the Switch, then you will understand that it only helps Nintendo and fans in the long run.

Well it looks like in the future I will be waiting about a week after Nintendo games/systems are/should have been released because I'll only be buying used. I am a fan of Nintendo products, but their tired ass business decisions must be punished.

Also the idea that wii u version will cannibalize switch hardware sales in the long run is absurd, particularly since Wii U sold so few consoles, which partly happened because they dragged their feet for so long on this new Zelda iteration

The rationalization in your post sounds like someone suffering from battered wife syndrome. Yes Nintendo may I please have another? You know best!

A few years after BotW releases people are gonna pop out of the woodwork in LTTP/RTTP threads for the game and claim that the Switch version is vastly inferior and borderline unplayable and that the Wii U version is the only way to play the game.

All because of this. I've seen it happen before.
ufdup.png

Hermii

Never played the wii version. But the Wii version was intended to be the version to get and sell the Wii. The reason I got the GC version was to play left handed link.

If you hated the controls, that was a matter of preference. Skyward Sword on the Wii was amazing imo. The controls felt really immersive, and I hope BotW supports it.

Anyways, its apples to oranges. I'm not necessarily even talking about features/game play differences. I'm talking about how the original was shafted for the enhanced port to sell a new console.

I didnt hate the controls, but they werent particularly good either, and flipping the game is the laziest way they could possibly implement right handed link. I also loved Skyward Sword.

I agree with you in terms of the games release.

Remember this happened to TP.

TP on gamecube got shoehorned and had the wii version come out at least a month before..

This is why I always assumed that it would happen again here and am not surprised. Was madder at it then since I had a preorder in on TP on GC for years.

Anyway the game not coming out at launch itself gives me a reason to wait to buy the Switch instead of going nuts for it right away with how hyped I am for BotW so I'm okay with that part.

Only way it's an actual double standard imo is if you can point out the people specifically fine with it in that thread who are now suddenly upset in this one.

Well for one theres Chobel. Who instead of getting up in arms about it called it XBone's "system seller" aka
With this news, it's pretty safe to assume that Titanfall is xbone's system seller.

Then in this thread:
Holy shit! We have a fucking defense force for this. Wii U version will be released a week later after Switch version, which means both version are more than ready to release simultaneously at that time but Nintendo is choosing to intentionally fuck over Wii U owners in order to sell a bunch of Switch hardware.

Unless you work or you are an investor in Nintendo, then how the fuck do you defend that?

Edit: heres another, this time from Nampad:

Titanfall thread:
I can wait. Guess Microsoft is pretty happy about this.

People saying this won't change the consumers buying decision should consider that Titanfall was marketed as a Xbox One title all the time and the delay will only further this perception. Casuals aren't really informed.

It won't make a big dent in the sales but it helps pushing the XB1 no matter what.

This Thread:
Nintendo knows their fanbase will swallow anything from them so they have no issue fucking them over and over again.

Edit 2: From Mac the Knife:
Titanfall Thread:
Titanfall will likely be my last Xbox game, so I can wait. Port better be tight, though.

This Thread:
If that Wii U info is true, no company hates their fans more than Nintendo.

The Giant

Banned
LMAO, Skyward Sword was rated M in australia? What does GTA get then, XXX?

Australians need to check their shoes and toilet for nopes every day but a game like Skyward Sword is too much for people under 18? Rockatansky is disappointed.

M rated games in Australia are what Teen rated games are in America.

MA 15+/R18+ rated games in Australia are what M rated games are in America.

Madame M

Banned
Just think of the Switch version as releasing in another region. EU gets Pokemon a week later and I don't see any large boycott movements.

At least localization time/region lock is a valid excuse. Another difference is that simultaneous worldwide release is a modern luxury, albeit necessitated by the world of piracy. Releasing the different platform versions on different dates in the same region has nothing to do with either of these phenomena. I would half way understand the Wii U version releasing earlier because they've been working on it for that system since it was announced, but flipping it the other way is in the words of the late Antonin Scalia "pure applesauce."

Hey Nintendo fans, you know that game we've been hyping up for the Wii U for four years? We're going to release it on another system too! And lucky you because if you buy that system you get to play it a week earlier! We give you this.... opportunity.... because we love you.

The sad thing about this topic is that many of those complaining don't even like Nintendo and have no plans to buy the game anyway!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
At least localization time/region lock is a valid excuse. Another difference is that simultaneous worldwide release is a modern luxury, albeit necessitated by the world of piracy. Releasing the different platform versions on different dates in the same region has nothing to do with either of these phenomena. I would half way understand the Wii U version releasing earlier because they've been working on it for that system since it was announced, but flipping it the other way is in the words of the late Antonin Scalia "pure applesauce."

Hey Nintendo fans, you know that game we've been hyping up for the Wii U for four years? We're going to release it on another system too! And lucky you because if you buy that system you get to play it a week earlier! We give you this.... opportunity.... because we love you.

Since they announced that it will come also to NX it was clear that this will happen. Especially when you had the TP precedent. The writing was on the wall. I actually expected to be worse, like at least a month. But of course it's your right to be upset. Won't change anything though.

The sad thing about this topic is that many of those complaining don't even like Nintendo and have no plans to buy the game anyway!

It's preposterous that you seem to think you know every single poster in this thread and all of their previous purchase history.

The people complaining about this are most likely the ones that like Nintendo the most. They're the ones that actually fucking bought a Wii U.

The_Lump

Banned
Anyone complaining about a weeks difference clearly doesn't remember the days of months+ delays between PAL/NTSC releases etc. A week is nothing.

It's preposterous that you seem to think you know every single poster in this thread and all of their previous purchase history.

The people complaining about this are most likely the ones that like Nintendo the most. They're the ones that actually fucking bought a Wii U.

Had my Wii U since day one along with every other console.

Zelda simply isn't finished. Obviously.

Just as they did with Twilight Princess they're making by far the best decision financially for the company.

It would have been a financial disaster releasing this on Wii U alone.

Madame M

Banned
Had my Wii U since day one along with every other console.

Zelda simply isn't finished. Obviously.

Just as they did with Twilight Princess they're making by far the best decision financially for the company.

It would have been a financial disaster releasing this on Wii U alone.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the fact that it's being released on the Switch

takriel

It would have been questionable if the Wii U userbase was much higher. But in this case, it's totally fine. They want their new console to sell, because their old one didn't. For that, they are willing to delay the game version for the old console a week, so that they hope to attract more gamers to their new console.

It's a smart business move.

LordKano

I hope everyone (well, the two guys who are doing this anyway) who boycott Nintendo because of this also boycott Sony for cancelling the TLG PS3 version, and Square Enix for the PS3 version of KH3/FFVersus 13.

Madame M

Banned
I still don't understand why people assume it is a smart business decision simply because it's the one that has been made.

Naming the Wii U awkwardly? Must be a smart decision, it's the one they made!

It would have been questionable if the Wii U userbase was much higher. But in this case, it's totally fine. They want their new console to sell, because their old one didn't. For that, they are willing to delay the game version for the old console a week, so that they hope to attract more gamers to their new console.

It's a smart business move.
People just wanna complain about nothing. Same people crying probably didnt even turn on the Wii U all year.

I will never understand how people can buy a console for a game that is not released yet.

You buy the console then you plug it and you wait until the said game's release?

Why don't you just buy the console WITH the game when it properly releases? Seriously the whining in this thread baffles me, there are so much stupid posts here saying that Nintendo are almost nazis for releasing the WiiU version ONE WEEK after.

They could have just cancel it you know. Look at last guardian. Look at FFXV.

Come on.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I still don't understand why people assume it is a smart business decision simply because it's the one that has been made.

It's one thing to be upset about it and it's a totally different thing to pretend that you don't understand why they're doing it. Come on.

Hermii

I think the people they piss off to the degree of boycotting Nintendo because of a week delay are literally in the dozens.

LordKano

Who in this thread calls it a smart decision for this reason alone ?
It's smart because it manages to give a full focus on the Switch version, just like Twilight Princess Wii.

takriel

Nintendo is full of awful business decisions, the Wii U naming proves that.

But with this they're taking advantage of people (like me) who can't wait one week to play Zelda. So I will buy a Switch console for this game and play it right when it comes out. Seems smart to me.

sphinx

the piano man
too much meltdown for nothing.

enjoy the game in whichever console you like, done.

at most I can understand disappointment if the WiiU version gets either only a digital release or a low-print retailer exclusive release but for everything else, just get over it.

the WiiU flopped and nintendo is putting the game there out of pure courtesy, nothng else.

I will never understand how people can buy a console for a game that is not released yet.

You buy the console then you plug it and you wait until the said game's release?

Why don't you just buy the console WITH the game when it properly releases? Seriously the whining in this thread baffles me, there are so much stupid posts here saying that Nintendo are almost nazis for releasing the WiiU version ONE WEEK after.

They could have just cancel it you know. Look at last guardian. Look at FFXV.

Come on.

Absolutely nailed it.

'OMG I bought my PS3 for The Last Guardian!!! Wahhhhh!'

'I bought my PS3 for FF vs XIII!!!'

The PS3 isn't even getting those games which were 'promised' to those systems.

The Wii U, a completely dead system that isn't even in production, is still getting this game and within days of the Switch version.

And yet Nintendo are getting more hate than the other devs are. To top it off, those games were announced years and years earlier than Zelda was....!

Madame M

Banned
People just wanna complain about nothing. Same people crying probably didnt even turn on the Wii U all year.

Well the past year's offerings have been pretty grim, who can blame them?

takriel said:

But with this they're taking advantage of people (like me) who can't wait one week to play Zelda. So I will buy a Switch console for this game and play it right when it comes out. Seems smart to me.

and you won't be buying a switch earlier for the rumored blockbuster Mario title?

Ho you don't understand why it is a smart decision? You really don't?

rawbhawb

But can you simply not, though? I mean, unless there's something so terrible about the Wii U version or something so great about the Switch version, can't you save money and just get the Wii U one?

Assuming you're only interested in Zelda and not any Switch exclusives.

LOZLINK

That does suck. If you didn't enjoy anything else on Wii U, I guess I'd advise in the future to only buy the system once the game you want is out, since pre-buying a system for a game is kind of like a bigger form of pre-ordering a game. I wonder if there were any people who bought a PS3 to play The Last Guardian or Versus XIII.... The game industry is rough on its customers sometimes. :/
Obviously games like Bayonetta 2 and super Mario 3d world made the purchase semi worthwhile, but the implications of this decision is saddening. Hopefully there's some backlash and Nintendo changing this if the rumor is true, but based on this thread, doesn't look like there'll be much backlash

Madame M

Banned
Ho you don't understand why it is a smart decision? You really don't?

We'll never know if it is a smart business decision. Some of the very, very few (as many here have pointed out!) Wii U owners may buy a Switch earlier because of the title, many hardcore Nintendo fans will have already bought it for Mario anyway, and many people like me will never buy a new Nintendo product because of this decision.

I have no problem with the week difference, I have a problem with the principle. It could be a day and it would still be unacceptable.

You mean the Mario title that would be at launch?

yes, last I heard Mario was coming at launch, is that not the case any more? No doubt that will move Switches for most hardcore Nintendo fans.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
We'll never know if it is a smart business decision. Some of the very, very few (as many here have pointed out!) Wii U owners may buy a Switch earlier because of the title, many hardcore Nintendo fans will have already bought it for Mario anyway, and many people like me will never buy a new Nintendo product because of this decision.

Nice statistics there. You have no idea. None.

yes, last I heard Mario was coming at launch, is that not the case any more? No doubt that will move Switches for most hardcore Nintendo fans.

Zelda fans and Mario fans are not the same set of people. Even remakes like Majora's Mask on 3ds and WW HD on Wii U moved new systems. Not everybody buys a system for the same game.

Obviously games like Bayonetta 2 and super Mario 3d world made the purchase semi worthwhile, but the implications of this decision is saddening. Hopefully there's some backlash and Nintendo changing this if the rumor is true, but based on this thread, doesn't look like there'll be much backlash

The game is still coming out on Wii U, within days.

Last Guardian isn't coming to the PS3 at all.

Which is worse? Which is getting the worse backlash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom