• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylas

Those pros are going to likely outweigh those cons for me, as they seemed to for you as well. You know what's worse than a story that's a "mess" overall but has a strong group of characters that has a great ending? A good story that isn't a mess but that has a total limp-dick finale and conclusion ala FFXII.

Now, I wish it were good all around obviously, but I feel like it's more disappointing when something is really good and then deflates by the end. It sounds like XV is the opposite of this. The final impressions are always the lasting ones, so if it goes out with a bang and has a great ending, it may improve my opinion of the story overall as opposed to it being good for a while and then having a lackluster conclusion.

Also if it actually ends up making sense and isn't super convoluted, that's always a plus. I get that the pacing may be off and that it even hits MGSV syndrome of nothing happening at all for stretches, but if the story is okay to follow instead of something like FFXIII and has a great ending, I think I'll be fine.

It's... Well, for the story I felt like there was enough context to get an understanding of what happened so long as you pay enough attention to the surrounding stuff. I don't wanna say it's relying on it, but it does stop itself from devolving into, over-explaining what the hell is going on for better or worse. Personally I enjoyed it because, man, I just do not care about the nitty gritty most of the time. This thing is happening, it needs to be fixed. Baddabing, baddaboom.

RPGCrazied

After completing about 50 side quests, I'm pretty confident in saying that most of them are generic MMO-like quests. There are a few that are a bit better, but in general, the majority of side quests don't have interesting mechanics/design or narrative payoff.

I want to add that I'm still enjoying the game overall, but the side quests are definitely a weak point.

Is there character quests at all?

Falk

that puzzling face
I wouldn't be surprised if a mainline game in future goes full turn based again, but that'd be a very ballsy move and one that's got to be both executed well and fit into the aesthetic/presentation of the game.

Change is the only constant.

After completing about 50 side quests, I'm pretty confident in saying that most of them are generic MMO-like quests. There are a few that are a bit better, but in general, the majority of side quests don't have interesting mechanics/design or narrative payoff.

I want to add that I'm still enjoying the game overall, but the side quests are definitely a weak point.

Is it possible or reasonable to avoid most of them? How would the overall experience of the game differ?

Tyaren

It has nothing to do with dynamic resolution though. On the other hand, it looks like the regular PS4 has better water reflections.

I'd really like to know why the current consoles can hardly manage some very basic texture filtering. Was this ever such a problem in the last generation? I thought AF comes at hardly a cost.
Why the Pro now suddenly is able to implement AF is also a mystery to me.

Regarding the water reflections: I hope it is just a glitch and they didn't have to deliberately tone the quality down to reach 1800p. I have no clue how much of a cost screenspace reflections are in different resolutions.

Well shit.

RPGCrazied

I'd really like to know why the current consoles can hardly manage some very basic texture filtering. Was this ever such a problem in the last generation? I thought AF comes at hardly a cost.

Regarding the water: I hope it is just a glitch and they didn't have to deliberately tone the quality down to reach 1800p. I have no clue how much of a cost screenspace reflections are in different resolutions.

I thought AA was more a performance hog than AF is.

artsi

When is the preload exactly unlocking in Europe? What about US?

I'm thinking if I should bother to buy online (and play tomorrow night), or just get it Tuesday.

It's... Well, for the story I felt like there was enough context to get an understanding of what happened so long as you pay enough attention to the surrounding stuff. I don't wanna say it's relying on it, but it does stop itself from devolving into, over-explaining what the hell is going on for better or worse. Personally I enjoyed it because, man, I just do not care about the nitty gritty most of the time. This thing is happening, it needs to be fixed. Baddabing, baddaboom.

I'm okay with this as long as it works overall and ends strong. And, ya know if I enjoy the game in general. Sounds passable but that I'll likely hope for better next time.

Falk

that puzzling face
Less than 24 hours to go until the biggest event of November:
the review thread

Bwahahah, I won't be around for the opening bouts of that. I'll be speaking about the music of Final Fantasy and FFXV at the Malaysian launch event.

I understand it's going to be streamed if you've ever wanted to see Falk make an ass of himself

RPGCrazied

Bwahahah, I won't be around for the opening bouts of that. I'll be speaking about the music of Final Fantasy and FFXV at the Malaysian launch event.

I understand it's going to be streamed if you've ever wanted to see Falk make an ass of himself

Did you help with the music like you did Kingdom Hearts HD?

Socivol

Just lost 30 minutes of progress due to a terribly designed dungeon/boss fight.

Battled lv7 enemies the entire dungeon, boss is lv 52 and you can't escape the fight. Only way out is dying, and the last save was outside the dungeon.

Fuck that.
You can escape from that fight you just have to run back out where you came from. Believe me after getting my ass handed to me I did just that.

Zesh

Is there character quests at all?

There are points where you'll have a dialogue choice with a character that can lead into a small quest or a larger conversation. There might be more full fledged character quests later on, though.

Is it possible or reasonable to avoid most of them? How would the overall experience of the game differ?

I think doing some quests is probably required for experience/gil, but I think most can be avoided. I think the intended way to play the game is to do a few quests while exploring new areas and travelling around the world. They're not really intended to be the main content of the game.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't be surprised if a mainline game in future goes full turn based again, but that'd be a very ballsy move and one that's got to be both executed well and fit into the aesthetic/presentation of the game.

Change is the only constant.

I hope that if they do, they take reference from turnbased wrpgs like Divinity Original Sin. And maybe mix with FFXII and X-2's systems. Make positioning and space important and let the players be able to pause whenever they need to buy yet have the gambit like systems of XII and have auto attack.

On a side note, i would like to see a different type of character growth system that's not inspired by X,XII, XIII and XV. The last few game seems like different ways to do the Sphere Grid.

OrionX

Regarding the water reflections: I hope it is just a glitch and they didn't have to deliberately tone the quality down to reach 1800p. I have no clue how much of a cost screenspace reflections are in different resolutions.

I love watching you panic over reflections and blades of grass, Tyaren. XD

There are points where you'll have a dialogue choice with a character that can lead into a small quest or a larger conversation. There might be more full fledged character quests later on, though.

I think doing some quests is probably required for experience/gil, but I think most can be avoided. I think the intended way to play the game is to do a few quests while exploring new areas and travelling around the world. They're not really intended to be the main content of the game.

Yeah this is ok with me, I don't mind fetch type quests if they aren't forced or a main part of the game. They can be a nice diversion every once in a while.

Pokemon and standard FF turn-based combat is not enjoyable. So much so that most of these mobile ports of FF games actually have a setting that automates combat, removing the only gameplay it offered.

Really, it's not like they just made games like Bravely Default or I Am Setsuna with those exact kind of systems, right?

Is really killing my enjoyment of the game.

LotusHD

Banned
Is really killing my enjoyment of the game.

For me, I actually don't mind it too much because turns out, I really love the combat and monster designs. So just having quests that compel to explore the world and fight cool monsters is my acceptable trade-off for not having sidequests that would be on the level of something like Witcher.

Marakh101

Neo Member
I'm sorry guys but FF7 and FF8 had pretty crappy stories and it's 2 of my favourite games. Good characters and chemistry is way more important.

I finished >20 side quests (got some achievement) in 10 hours so far and they were indeed all fetch quests. Pretty much Xenoblade level. Thank god the combat is fun as hell. I did all the quests in Xenoblade, all of them. More than 300 I think.
I'm sorry guys but FF7 and FF8 had pretty crappy stories and it's 2 of my favourite games. Good characters and chemistry is way more important.
Perfectly reasonable opinion in all honesty. Calling these stories "good" is a stretch. Most of us were young and enjoyed stories that were told in an engaging way but let's be real.

For me, I actually don't mind it too much because turns out, I really love the combat and monster designs. So just having quests that compel to explore the world and fight cool monsters is my acceptable trade-off for not having sidequests that would be on the level of something like Witcher.

The problem is that fights with trash mobs, is not really fun either. And at some point you're so overleveled that most fights last like 20 seconds...

The problem is that fights with trash mobs, is not really fun either. And at some point you're so overleveled that most fights last like 20 seconds...
Trash mobs? Have some integrity, the monsters are actually well designed :p

Have you fought the Midgar Zolom or the Griffon?

Another question I have, do you play as child Noctis in the full game, or was that for demo only?
Demo

Alej

Banned
So guys, i have the game since Thursday and i'm pretty confident about it.

I want to do a bet. Last thursday, the day i began to play this game, i turned 30. I'm born in November 24th 1986.

I want to do a bet, a ban bet if i can, if a mod agree with that, about FFXV having at the end a metacritic equal or better than 86.

A 86 metascore at least or goodbye Alej. And if i win that, i just want someone to make a redhead Noctis avatar i will be proud to use, as everyone having faith in me will too.

At least 86. Keep me tuned.

Edit: we can agree on a deadline.
By next sunday?

sanstesy

I want to do a bet. Last thursday, the day i began to play this game, i turned 30. I'm born in November 24th 1986.

I want to do a bet, a ban bet if i can, if a mod agree with that, about FFXV having at the end a metacritic equal or better than 86.

A 86 metascore at least or goodbye Alej. And if i win that, i just want someone to make a redhead Noctis avatar i will be proud to use, as everyone having faith in me will too.

That bet will take some time, as only big outlets have received a review copy in advance. Most other outlets will have reviews up much later because they can't play the game earlier.

As confident as you may be about the game, there's loads of criticism surrounding various aspects-- these may not have had much of an impact for you, but it doesn't mean the reviews are going to give you your useless 86 Metacritic Tomato thing :p

Got the game since Wednesday and I'm enjoying it but you sure this won't be divisive? I'm pretty sure it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom