• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Watch Dogs 2 PC 4K (Titan X) vs PS4 Pro

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKeROkrWJk

PC version also uses a checker boarded solution to reach 4K resolution. Also, Rich offers an apology to PC gamers at the end for not having too much coverage on PC stuff because of Pro's launch.

- PC gains 20+ FPS if you turn off screen space reflections.
- Textures/geometry are like for like
- PC can draw larger distances but some instances have bugs where it skips objects (like buildings)
- Much higher quality shadows on PC but some bugs where some shadows are skipped.
- Rich recommends turning off screen space reflections to gain FPS on mid-range cards like RX 480
- Console versions seem to have a quicker in-game clock, time passes quicker.

Lister

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKeROkrWJk

PC version also uses a checker boarded solution to reach 4K resolution. Also, Rich offers an apology to PC gamers at the end for not having too much coverage on PC stuff because of Pro's launch.

- PC gains 20+ FPS if you turn off screen space reflections.
- Textures/geometry are like for like
- PC can draw larger distances but some instances have bugs where it skips objects (like buildings)
- Much higher quality shadows on PC but some bugs where some shadows are skipped.
- Rich recommends turning off screen space reflections to gain FPS on mid-range cards like RX 480
- Console versions seem to have a quicker in-game clock, time passes quicker.

Weird about the different clock. Awesome to see more PC coverage once more. No need for the apology, we just want to see the platformed covered once the main PS4 Pro features are covered.

Did not know the PC version is checkerboarding too. Does it do ti only at 4K or at other resolutions too? Can you turn it on/off? Would love to try it on my ultra wide (3440x1440) for some performance, or figure out if it's already on.

Awesome stuff!

BigEmil

My GTX 780 running this game like shit even on lower settings don't know if it's to do with drivers or what not, gonna have to upgrade soon

Qassim

Ubisoft pc quality at it's finest.

A few minor bugs don't really detract from what is quite an impressive PC version. The Ubisoft PC memes haven't been true for a while, they're possibly the best AAA publisher in regards to putting in PC exclusive improvements which come with an appropriate resource cost.

I wonder if they used the Ultra texture pack? I find it interesting that the texture quality is supposedly like-for like.

Watch_Dogs® 2 - Ultra Texture Pack (Steam)

"""Put that graphics card to work and move one step closer to reality!""

Download the Ultra Texture Pack and be amazed by the incredible amount of additional detail! Take full advantage of your 4K display and prepare for a next-to-reality experience.

Contains:
- Over 10,000 4k compliant textures
- Detailed characters, buildings, and vegetation
- Ultra resolution decals
- Huge normal and surface maps"

Weird about the different clock. Awesome to see more PC coverage once more. No need for the apology, we just want to see the platformed covered once the main PS4 Pro features are covered.

Did not know the PC version is checkerboarding too. Does it do ti only at 4K or at other resolutions too? Can you turn it on/off? Would love to try it on my ultra wide (3440x1440) for some performance, or figure out if it's already on.

Awesome stuff!

The temporal filtering option is essentially the checkerboard rendering technique Ubisoft first deployed in Rainbow Six Siege which has been improved for Watch Dogs 2 and is also being utilized on the PS4 Pro for 1800p checkerboard rendering. You can turn it on and off and I think you can use it at any resolution you like.

Aren't these sort of comparisons kinda ridiculous?

I understand the premise but comparing a £349 console with a £900 gfx card + extras is well........

A few minor bugs don't really detract from what is quite an impressive PC version. The Ubisoft PC memes haven't been true for a while, they're possibly the best AAA publisher in regards to putting in PC exclusive improvements which come with an appropriate resource cost.

Skipping objects on the screen is minor bug now ?

hes running the game with checkerboard on the PC? what's the point of that? id like to see how native 4K stacks up to the checkerboard PS4 Pro.

I understand the premise but comparing a £349 console with a £900 gfx card + extras is well........

What's wrong with seeing the things that can be achieved with more powerful hardware and how the two versions compare? He even expresses how well the PS4 Pro holds up.

They also have another video featuring the GTX 1060 and RX 480 for lower priced machines that run the game at 60 fps.

BigEmil

I'd like comparisons similar to what they did before with PS4 vs i3+750 Ti
Something like PS4 Pro VS RX470/480 or 970/1060
I wanna see more of i3+750ti normal-clock and over-clocked comparisons see how it holds up against current games compared to PS4 maybe games like Killing Floor 2 would be a good comparison maybe more CPU bound, doubt many people upgraded from that 750 setup yet.

Qassim

Skipping objects on the screen is minor bug now ?

Odd objects here and there in the distance is fairly minor, yes. The shadow bug doesn't seem particularly common either.

Only ridiculous to people who see it as a competition rather than just a straight up comparison just to see what differences there are.

What's wrong with seeing the things that can be achieved with more powerful hardware and how the two versions compare? He even expresses how well the PS4 Pro holds up.

They also have another video featuring the GTX 1060 and RX 480 for lower priced machines that run the game at 60 fps.

Then is the versus necessary?

As said above these comparisons should be of an almost equal price point to give people the opportunity to decide which platform to buy on depending on performance as they do with x1 vs ps4

It's in the same ball park as Bugatti Veyron vs Subaru impreza. Which one wins in a straight line? Let's find out.......

As said above these comparisons should be of an almost equal price point to give people the opportunity to decide which platform to buy on depending on performance as they do with x1 vs ps4

It's in the same ball park as Bugatti Veyron vs Subaru impreza. Which one wins in a straight line? Let's find out.......

That's another subject to tackle, it doesn't mean that a versus shouldn't happen.

Rellik

As someone who has a gaming PC and a PS4 Pro then these comparisons are very useful to me. Comparing to a weak PC wouldn't be useful.

Gold_Loot

Minus the framerate difference
Looks like te PRO fares quite well against such a high end machine .

Pretty impressive.

Qassim

Why can't we also do comparisons which just compare what each version is capable of? Again, why does it have to be a competition and not just a simple comparison for the sake of comparison?

I'll never understand why people approach these articles/threads/videos from that perspective, don't worry about it - no one is trying to sell you on any particular thing or idea - we're just looking at what different versions of the game are capable of, where they differ.

Except Sony wants people buying Imprezas instead of a Bugatti.

Andrew House himself said the PS4 Pro was made, in part, to keep people from simply jumping to PC had they just stuck with the base PS4's specs for the whole generation. They are also pushing it as 4K ready despite native 4K requiring FAR stronger hardware for most games (around twice as much, according to Mark Cerny), and most devs just sticking with upscaling/checkerboarding.

Sony themselves are inviting those comparisons.

Caayn

I'm surprised by the high FPS hit on PC caused by screen space reflections.
Then DF should cancel all PS4 to PS4 Pro, XB1 to PS4, etc. comparisons as well. We already know who's going to win if nothing strange happens.

This isn't about price. This is to see how each version stacks up against one another, regardless of the endlessly debated price.

adamsapple

This isn't meant to be an 'equal' comparison. DF routinely do comparisons with mid-range cards and have them run on 'console specs' too FYI.

Think of this as a comparison between the best PC version (with the most expensive GPU) and the best console version available in the market right now.

No apology was necessary, John already explained the lack of PC coverage. It is very much appreciated nonetheless, I hold DF in very high regard and this cements that opinion. Great video, it seems that Ubisoft tried and mostly succeeded in offering extra features for high-end machines.

If you guys find the time I will echo the sentiments of many others and ask that you consider a test between a PS4 Pro and a budget PC. A lot of people are trying to choose between a Pro and a graphics card upgrade.

My GTX 780 running this game like shit even on lower settings don't know if it's to do with drivers or what not, gonna have to upgrade soon
What's your CPU and RAM? In particular, RAM speed makes a big difference in this game. Believe it or not, you can gain 20+ FPS from upgrading from 1600 Mhz to 2200 Mhz RAM. Of course, CPU also plays a huge factor in performance.

Then we should cancel all DF comparisons between Xbone and PS4 cause we already know who's going to win. Probably shouldn't do PS4 Pro vs PS4 anymore either, cause we know the Pro version is better.

Paragon

I find the checkerboard rendering to look pretty bad in motion a lot of the time, it's a shame that the game doesn't have a TAA option without it.
I'm starting to be more accepting of TAA solutions when combined with sharpening and downsampling to counteract the blur, but that checkerboard rendering almost looks like the game is running on an old interlaced TV.
I would be turning down whatever settings are necessary to get it running smoothly at a native 4K resolution.

I don't think there needed to be any apology about the reduced PC coverage lately.
A console launch like the PS4 Pro is obviously a priority and generates a lot of work for the team.

K' Dash

There is something weird about the clock in this game, sometimes it goes really fast, like sped up cam, then it goes normal, a few minutes it is really slow.

Been playing non stop since I got it a couple of days ago and noticed the fucked up clocks a few times, good thing it does not interfere n the game too much.

Yea it runs pretty bad on my 290x/4670k even at medium settings. So bad that I uninstalled it a couple days after purchase :|

Definitely doesn't look good enough to justify the performance when something like Witcher 3 runs flawlessly and looks better.

Instro

Not that I have any idea what I'm talking about, but you'd think someone would have figured out a way to do SSR in a less costly way. It's always been such a huge performance killer.

Tagyhag

Screen Space absolutely KILLED frames, and it's not even worth the price it seems.

Then we should cancel all DF comparisons between Xbone and PS4 cause we already know who's going to win. Probably shouldn't do PS4 Pro vs PS4 anymore either, cause we know the Pro version is better.

It's so funny that this exact same thing has to be explained every time.

And then they NEVER have a comeback to it.

adamsapple

What a good looking game on both platforms.

Yep, I'll echo what I said in the OP. This is probably the one of the best open world games out there, literally a 180* from the first one. The world is also rendered really beautifully, my wife whose been to SF was able to call out landmarks by just seeing them.

icespide

Banned
While I agree this is a very impressive looking game. I was a little disappointed with how empty the city is at times. There are very few pedestrians and traffic most of the time

I've tried a variety of graphics settings with and without temporal filtering (checkerboard rendering) on my 1070, and the game looks SIGNIFICANTLY better at just native 1080p with temporal filtering off. TF is way too blurry and adds a considerable about of blur in motion.

Also there are a variety of settings that are quite taxing that are way beyond the settings used on the console version. Shadows for sure, SSR, better ambient occlusion, etc. It's quite a large difference, coupled with the ability to double the frame rate at 60fps.

I can't help but think that TF was included and almost encouraged because the engined is rather poorly optimized. It's so hard to hold 60fps especially in city areas,even with GPU usage well below 100%. This game has all 4 of the cores on my 6600k @ 4.2 GHz at 100% a lot of the time. That's just sort of nuts.

It's amazing a $400 console can provide the experience it does for the cash. Of course PC is the place to go if you want that kind of IQ and the responsiveness / smoothness of 60fps.

I wonder at what point does diminishing returns set in for extremely high resolutions if you're not sitting at a desk. For PC gamers playing on their HDTV is there really the need to strain the hardware with native 4k when a checker board system is providing something extremely similar with much weaker hardware requirements or the option to enable even more graphical eye candy?

It will be interesting to see if more publishers go with this method in the future for PC multiplatform games aswell as seeing if MS go with something similar for Scorpio's version of 4k.

Good to see DF doing more console vs PC comparisons.

I'd be tempted to poke fun at you but I'm scared of piercing your thin skin.

Koobion

Agreed. This isn't a fair comparison without showing a comparable setup on a value level. It's still very interesting and something that I want to see, especially since I play all platforms, but a high end PC shouldn't be the only comparison to console versions.

Wow, the comments section of DF videos is the most toxic shit I've ever seen lol.

They have already posted a video showing how mid range PC GPU's handle the game. A GTX1060 ($250 GPU) ran it at console equivalent settings at 60fps with drops here and there. This video is just showing how a high end card runs it at 4k and comparing it to the Pro.

chrislowe

These kind of videos only makes it worse in the camp between PS4 vs PC, since most people think you will need a Titan-card to run this game in 4k now.

SSR was at most a 10fps hit in the TXP in the rain scene. So about 50fps at the lowest. Perhaps overclocking/superclocked/hybrid 1080ti's could tackle that (if the core counts haven't been nuked too badly from the TXP). At worse, I would've turned it down, not off. Crazy that the game is nearly 1.3 GB away from hitting the 1080ti's rumored 10GB.

So the whole video the PC version was using a downscaling technique and not native 4k? Or was that for one scene?

The water is seriously impressive in this game.

I appreciate the HQ video testing DF.

These kind of videos only makes it worse in the camp between PS4 vs PC, since most people think you will need a Titan-card to run this game in 4k now.

This is addressed in the video. A 1070 is better than OG Titan X at ~1/3 the price. The 1080ti is rumored to be revealed in January.

dr_rus

SSR was at most a 10fps hit in the TXP in the rain scene. So about 50fps at the lowest. Perhaps overclocking/superclocked/hybrid 1080ti's could tackle that (if the core counts haven't been nuked too badly from the TXP). At worse, I would've turned it down, not off. Crazy that the game is nearly 1.3 GB away from hitting the 1080ti's rumored 10GB.

So the whole video the PC version was using a downscaling technique and not native 4k? Or was that for one scene?

The water is seriously impressive in this game.

This is addressed in the video. A 1070 is better than OG Titan X at 1/3 the price. The 1080ti is rumored to be revealed in January.

Percentage of used VRAM doesn't tell much about the actual need for that much VRAM. It can be used as a cache only for example.

Checkerboarding is not downscaling neither it's upscaling, it's a temporal image reconstruction technique. 4K with "Temporal Filtering" (WD2's terminology) is 1080p with alternating MSAA 2x and forced subsamples shading which means that it's 4K spatial resolution with only half of the pixels being actually shaded each frame. So it's half of 4K in load and actual shaded pixels but actual 4K if you think about the resulting image buffer. This is the same technique as on PS4Pro.

I doubt that anything based on GP102 will be able to pull off 60 fps with SSRs in 4K in WD2. I also doubt that there will even be a "1080Ti". 2017 is Volta time already.

Top Bottom