• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, my PS4 is running out of storage for the 500th time

daripad

Guys, I'm clueless about what HD I should buy for it. I want to have a lot of games installed at the same time. That means I want the most storage I can have on my console, so which one should I buy?

Is it easy to change? Because I don't want to fuck up my console lol

Persona7

Banned
Get a 2TB western digital or seagate drive. 2TB should be a little under $100. It's relatively simple to replace but you will probably need another storage device to back stuff up.

jaydogg691

I'll sell you my 2TB PS4 for $250 if you don't want to deal with installing one...

It's pretty simple to switch out the HDD. There's plenty video tutorials on the web. The only annoying part is the file transferring when switching.

modsbox

Buy a 2tb seagate 'backup plus slim' USB 3.0 external drive for around 70-80. Pop it open with a smal screwdriver to reveal a 9.5mm 2tb drive that will fit perfectly in your PS4.

Backup your saves to the cloud, install in your PS4, re download your games, good to go. Make sure to download the full install of the PS4 software from the Sony (around 900 megs) instead of just the update, you'll need that to set up the system on a blank drive.

SURGEdude

Buy a 2tb seagate 'backup plus slim' USB 3.0 external drive for around 70-80. Pop it open with a smal screwdriver to reveal a 9.5mm 2tb drive that will fit perfectly in your PS4.

Backup your saves to the cloud, install in your PS4, re download your games, good to go. Make sure to download the full install of the PS4 software from the Sony (around 900 megs) instead of just the update, you'll need that to set up the system on a blank drive.

Then throw the old drive in the enclosure and either use it on an XB1 or Wii U or just as extra storage for your PC.

I got the Seagate 2tb last from my girlfriend for christmas last year. I'm so bad with computers and found it very easy.

Pop out your old hard drive, back up the saves to your computer, put them on your new hard drive, put it in PS4 and you're done.

Do it OP. It's so much better. Filled mine up already though.

deadstar72

Neo Member
Fitting a 3.5" hard drive in a 2.5" bay?
(i.e these don't exist yet in 2.5" format, let alone in the smaller 2.5" variation to fit in a PS4).
What? 2.5" 4TB drives have been around for a while. Though they're 15mm not 9.5mm. But people have been able to wrangle them into ps4s. It recognises them just fine

Its nice that they do make it so relatively easy to put in a bigger drive. Its unfortunate that anyone with a Plus account and even just a few discs will likely need it though.

Zerox20

Get the Seagate 2Tb firecuda drive. Great price and excellent performance. My FF15 load times are almost cut in half.

Yeah if you want to spend the extra get the Firecuda and if not get the Seagate Backup Plus. Either way just get a 2TB drive and it's pretty simple.

I've used the Seagate in mine for about a year and a half now with zero issues.

daripad

Yeah if you want to spend the extra get the Firecuda and if not get the Seagate Backup Plus. Either way just get a 2TB drive and it's pretty simple.

I've used the Seagate in mine for about a year and a half now with zero issues.

Are these the ones? https://www.amazon.com.mx/Seagate-F...2737568&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+firecuda+2+tb

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Seagate-B...482737679&sr=1-1&keywords=seagate+backup+plus

TBH the cheaper the better but only if it's reliable and durable

ryseing

I asked for a 2TB drive for Christmas for this reason, and it is amazing. Going to replay a bunch of stuff that I never got into for whatever reason.

Setup is super easy OP. Go with the Seagate.

Quick

Banned
OP, just remember to back up your files and you should be fine. It's really easy.

Quick question:

For people with the PS4 Pro who swapped out the drive with the 2TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim drive: does it randomly start beeping? Had it on my original PS4 and it did that. Haven't swapped out the drive on my Pro yet.

Just did this to my launch unit a week ago. Bought a firecuda 2 TB SSHD and it was completely trouble free to install it. Took a while to backup the old drive (did I the whole thing, didn't want to bother with redownloading), but that was the only real hassle. Just make sure to take the large file when installing the system software.

That Firecuda is not the right one. You want a 2.5 and not a 3.5 inch. The 2.5 inch is also available on amazon but I think it's $115. But yes the Seagate is the right one. You just pop the drive out of the enclosure it comes in. If youre careful when pulling the drive out you can then just put the one you have in your ps4 now into the casing and use it as a normal portable usb drive.

Also when you get your drive and go to install the PS4 system software on it from here, go all the way down toward the bottom of the page to where it says "Perform a new installation of the system software". Use that "download now" button link and not the other ones above it since those other ones are not the full OS + update. Only that bottom one is. The file download should be right around 850MB. If not youre downloading the wrong one.

Needlecrash

Get a 5 TB Seagate Portable Backup Plus drive, gut it and throw that shit into the system. That's what I did.

1lZE25o.jpg

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Does getting a TB drive alleviate the issue where you can have more than 100gb of free space and it says that you still don't have enough space to download Grim Dango. :mad:

jobrro

I had had a 2TB drive since around launch. Easy to install on any model.

Even when I went to Pro moved the 2TB from launch day model to the new one without even turning it on yet (after backing some saves and installs to USB drive).

It's not unlimited space, but given the need of the PS4 OS (taking up maybe 1/4 of a 500GB drive but only around 1/16th of a 2TB drive) it has not yet left me wanting.

Pretty sure I bought an M9T HDD.

HF2014

I still dont understand why Sony isnt at least making available a 2TB bundle like X1.People seem to switch over digital, 500gb and 1tb is still small if some games require 70gb.. I knew from the beginning a 500gb console was like a 20gb ps3. Would eventualy fill up fast.

Ahasverus

Sony should really start allowing external storage at this point, maybe next year, the gen just got past its half time.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Play a game stick to it . And remove it after finishing it. Heck maybe even sell it.
First console in my collection where my game collection felt useless.
So i decided to sell most of my games.
Since re downloading 15GB-6GB of patch data when i feel like playing a game get's old really fast.

Member ps3 when you could actually play almost any game you felt like.
Physical is dead :(

daripad

Just get a pro.

Lmao why?

Btw I already decided to go with Seagate Backup Plus, it is not as expensive as the Firecuda (it's a big difference in my country). Hopefully 2GB are enough for at least two years.

Thanks for the advice guys, can't wait to install some games again :)

BigEmil

Delete save files some can be huge sizes and all screenshots and videos etc should help abit, maybe delete some seperate add ons for games too such as sfv's story mode when your done with it if you have it

With how close the prices are between 1 and 2TB 2.5 HDDs right now( that I've seen anyway), may as well pony up the extra few dollars and get the 2TB. 500Gb ain't shit nowadays with the size of some of these games.

Ahasverus

Yeah. I really don't get it. XB1 and Wii U allow it.

I wonder if they're afraid of piracy so they've locked down external HDD I/O.
And they haven't been hacking. This stubborness makes me feel the PS4 has a fatal security flaw, and such thing WILL get found, even if they don't want to. They're almost highlighting hackers where their weakness is.

gogogow

The first one, no, that's a 3.5 inch drive.

The second one, you have to be careful with external storage drives. It's possible the hdd inside the enclosure doesn't have a sata connector, only a micro-b usb port and with that, it won't work with a PS4.

But i'm not sure on that one, since people are recommending it, maybe they only come with a hdd with sata connector? I got a Seagate Portable Expansion 2tb and it was a gamble. Mine luckily had a sata connector, but i've read on other forums that they weren't that lucky and those had a usb port.

Petrae

Sony should really start allowing external storage at this point, maybe next year, the gen just got past its half time.

It'd be great if Sony would offer this, as it's the only way that I can expand storage. I don't at all feel comfortable taking shit apart, and I don't really understand how to move the OS and other stuff over.

It's too damned complicated for me, and flies in the face of the simplicity that consoles used to be known for.

gogogow

It'd be great if Sony would offer this, as it's the only way that I can expand storage. I don't at all feel comfortable taking shit apart, and I don't really understand how to move the OS and other stuff over.

It's too damned complicated for me, and flies in the face of the simplicity that consoles used to be known for.

You don't really take apart anything. Just remove the cover, by sliding it to one side, then use a screwdriver to remove one screw, you then pull out the hdd enclosure, remove hdd, pop in new hdd and put everything back.

OS, pretty sure you just download a file from Sony's website and copy it to a usb stick.

The only thing I backed up were savefiles to the cloud and to a usb stick just to be save. All the games I had, I just re-downloaded them.

Top Bottom