• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avallon

No seriously, it wasn't funny at all, even from an outside perspective. Was actually rather cringey... Like, going to devolve to dumb 'bitch' jokes? Seriously, on a purely critical comedy level it not only takes no brain or wit, it simply is just trying to be a shit-stirrer. So call out those trying to stir shit.
To be fair, his user name is "Bitch Pudding."

A more involved producer might try to take over control to get the game to market. Maybe they literally couldn't deliver on their promises, but PG is not a two time studio. It seems to me more likely MS decided they don't want loss leaders anymore, apparently they're happy with the way Xbox is selling.

Or, Scorpio is going to be a new console and they're starting to cut back efforts for the one.

WTF? This looks like it's mostly Platinum. The game they developed looked shitty and was probably way, way off schedule. You wouldn't need to scrap a game to bring it up to Scorpio "standards" especially with a PC version being developed.

Platinum will be closed in a few years if they keep up with the mediocrity.

Holy shit. I can honestly say this is the last thing I ever would have expected, because of Platinum's track record with getting the job done even under shitty conditions.

Until we hear the full story (if we do), I can only assume that the sheer scope of the game did it in. It looked to be the biggest and most complex game they'd ever attempted or that Kamiya had ever directed.

Could we say that the game was... ahem... scope-bound?

*runs from tomatoes*

Platinum is able to work just fine with companies like:
Square Enix
Nintendo
Konami
Activision
Sega

So I don't think the problem is Platinum at all. It is clearly Microsoft.

Activision has completely left the licensed business for some reason, perhaps including Platinum's games not selling too well. Konami... well, Konami'd themselves. Nintendo hopefully did not really expect Platinum's originals to sell, but Star Fox Zero failing for mostly unrelated reasons could make them misinteprete the facts. And when Platinum stopped doing things with Sega, things seemed bitter. Add the fact Clover Studio has shut down due to problems with cooperating with Capcom and the situation isn't too nice.

sublimit

Banned
The only XB1 exclusive i was halfway interested in and MS cancels it.Congrats Phil.

Hopefully Platinum will choose their partnerships more carefully in the future.

Anung

Un Rama
Honestly, that's unreasonable. They're being clear that the one game is cancelled. And the way you characterize it was an advertisement is overselling a brief written statement.

You're expecting an official communication to relish in only the negatives of a situation. They don't work that way.

Eh most people in this thread seem to be interpreting it the same way as me. They could have just focused on being informative, maybe some regret? And maybe allude to a strong 2017 line-up without turning it into ad space.

I don't think it's fair to blame MS yet for this game being cancelled. We don't know what happened behind the scenes and it could have been a case of "This is game is never going to get finished". Keep in mind the game had already been delayed once and had been in development for a good chunk of time for the Xbox One specifically. It has also could have been a case of Microsoft demands or proper budgeting now being done. We really don't know yet.

True, MS doesn't have time for projects that can't make it onto shelves in time. MS moving on from that situation isn't anything out of the ordinary, but what concerns me is that they are in no position to lose high visibility titles like this.

I'm torn- either MS is in dire straits, or they are getting creative in how to maintain and grow a player base on Xbox with an absolute bare minimum of Microsoft Studios support.

kiguel182

It's always a bummer to see projects being canceled. Sometimes games don't work, it's unfortune.

I would love to see what happened, hopefully it doesn't affect Platinum that much.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. Feel really bad for JP Kellams, Kamiya, and their team. I personally don't think the game looked all that interesting, but those guys are really passionate and generally deliver quality stuff. I hope they land on their feet with another project.

Schlorgan

tumblr_inline_nzqedpmBes1qfou47_500.gif

The proper reaction gif for this thread.

D i Z

Square Enix
Nintendo
Konami
Activision
Sega

You can't discount what Platinum is today and ignore their output of shit projects listed under the flag of "worked fine" previously. They have the man power, and if they couldn't structure themselves to get it done within 4 years then they should never have taken the gig. That's all on them.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wow.

I've spoken at length about how Microsoft money just always seems to be a poisoned chalice, but here we are again. Gaming industry just doesn't need them.

Platinum are probably in big trouble now between this and Activision probably being skittish on more quick budget projects :(

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
This looked more and more likely as time went on, Its a shame all that time and money gone into the game and now its nothing, looked a very 50/50 game from the start to me if it would be much good. It looks a bit worrying for microsoft right now on the exclusives unless they have a few bangers to show off this year, Youd expect them to show a few off with the full reveal of the Scorpio this year ? We will see.

RIP Scalebound, Presses F.

What were they supposed to say? Platinum fucked up? That not how this works.

Some might suggest a humbling note to highlight the collaboration between the two. Never heard of a company highlight hard-work, relationships or any of that matter when splitting apart?

You are acting like i wanted them to do some type of roast - nah man. my feels are hurt for everyone who worked on it and were looking forward to play it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kurdel

Banned
Because a Platinum Games game was cancelled? I'm sure sales numbers will tank but I don't think Microsoft or any analyst worth their salt would attribute that to Scalebound.

Yeah, Platinum is far from being a recognizable développer outside of our enthousiast circle.

CISphil

Neo Member
I really, really don't know why I bought this damn console. Not one game has justified the purchase and the only remaining game I had interest in is now cancelled... I guess that serves me right for impulse buying but still, I am disappoint.

Ah, here's what I was looking for

XucL0OR.jpg

July 2015: "Those shits at MS...are they fucking with me?"

So, let's set a timeline HEAVY with speculation. Game was announced at E3 2014 without much notice. It skipped E3 2015, but showed up at Gamescom that year in August with an announcement of four-player co-op, which was shown off with a much rougher game in E3 2016's conference. The game was then cancelled soon after.

My guess is that, in July, Kamiya was told he had to rejigger the game into a four-player co-op thing. There were never any hints he wanted to make the game a Monster Hunter-like, but I am guessing people in charge of money were expecting him to do so. It gets announced, shown off, and the response is tepid. Changing tides at Microsoft, a desire to free up the UE4 team they put together to work with Kamiya, and being unhappy with the state of the game lead to it being cancelled.

If my guess is correct, that's really sad.

2San

Square Enix
Nintendo
Konami
Activision
Sega

If you need more than 3 years to develop a game it's more likely the developers fault. It's also pretty clear that Platinum got some creative freedom on this.

Platinum released some mediocre to bad games with Activation not sure if you want to mention them.

That said Nier: Automata looks great.

janoDX

Platinum, just grab some of the ideas of Scalebound and add them to Bayonetta 3 on the Switch. And put Kamiya on the helm.

Gator86

They're suppose to say best of luck to Platinum and Kamiya, or some shit like that. Show a human side to things. PR in 2017 and beyond is showing a human side to things. Watch companies getting burned for being to robotic. Microsoft sounds heartless there.

It's still just PR in the end. I don't know why people are getting so wrapped up on this particular issue. The game is dead regardless of what MS says here. It's not like they just shut down Platinum or something.

Tankard

They did. They said it was canceled.

I get people want to know more, but they're not going to focus on the negative in a PR statement or get into any more details on high-profile bad news, and obviously this is a hit to their portfolio, so they closed by trying to assure people (investors) their lineup is still strong (regardless if people believe them).

Some of you would not last long in PR.

Yeah, people are loving this PR.

Cidd

Will it? I don't imagine there will be many if any surprises.

That's exactly my point. they have had nothing interesting to show for the past few years and the ones they do show get cancelled. meanwhile Sony and Nintendo's library keeps growing.

I bet E3 will just be all about Scorpio and hardware fluff.

tuna_love

Banned
he-told-a-joke-it-wasn-t-funny.png

No seriously, it wasn't funny at all, even from an outside perspective. Was actually rather cringey... Like, going to devolve to dumb 'bitch' jokes? Seriously, on a purely critical comedy level it not only takes no brain or wit, it simply is just trying to be a shit-stirrer. So call out those trying to stir shit. A game was cancelled, someone was disappointed and thought about their purchasing decisions for their fiance, and then dumb 'jokes' get thrown their way which are less jokes and just someone permitting themselves to say dumb sexist stereotypes in an attempt to be amusing, but coming off more like an actual stereotype than the one's they're trying to propel.

---

Long post for a dumb exchange I have nothing to do with, but I'm tired of seeing these type of threads just turn to shit over weird personal back-and-forths.
you should get one as well

For goodness sake Phil.

I'm a massive Microsoft fan and I really wanted this.
I've had it pre-ordered for about 2 years - I've never done that before.

In situations like this I'd really appreciate it if we even got just a demo released to say "Yeah this is what we had."

Or maybe the game was just in development hell, as evidenced by Platinum missing deadlines, etc. You can't keep throwing money into a clearly failed project, which is why they cancelled it. Platinum not being able to deliver on the game is not Microsoft's fault and this game being a turd does not mean that Microsoft is looking for an exit, lol. Especially with a powerful new system releasing at the end of the year. Jesus, man.

You seem to be really eager to put the blame on Platinum when other publishers never canceled their games and MS has a history.
Could just as well be that MS wanted entirely different things than Kamiya, Kellams and the rest of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom