• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA exoplanet discovery conference (7 Earth-sized planets, 3 in habitable zone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magus1234

If we could send a really small drone there I wonder about sending organisms that survive on parts of the planet there. Maybe in a million years they will come to us.

Hastati

POTUS just needs to sign a new EO and we will have FTL travel within a year!

It's a terrifying thought that first contact could occur during the current global political climate, but it's not like there would ever be a good time I guess.

But I guess it's still astronomically unlikely that we would be close to a space-faring civilization.

Now we just need to learn how to manipulate the fabric of space-time to open wormholes or discover the warp field and create warp drives and shit.

Poyunch

I like how the title includes how many were in the Goldilocks zone. All the Facebook posts on the announcement neglect to include it.

This is like a sci-fi dream come true. Perfect setting for interplanetary wars or empires. I wonder what everyone over there is doing.

Oh, yeah, that's the problem, NASA just aren't trying hard enough to break the laws of physics.

My guess is if we, as species, dedicated our resources to achieve FTL speed. We could do it in a reasonable timeframe. But as species we are just a bunch of prehistoric monkeys fighting over stupid shit.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Jordan Fabian @Jordanfabian

We need a total and complete shutdown of aliens from Planet E entering the United States until we can figure out what's going on.

Nick Corasaniti @NYTnickc

Everyone stoked about these new planets must not have seen "Independence Day."

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Omfg!

Incredible findings, God damn we need FTL

It's too slow! We gotta go faster. 40 years is just way too fucking long. Ship breaks down half way and the crew is fucked. Need to think of other alternatives to space travel man. Sure would be cool to see a significant break through in my life time.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Belgian beers as names for the planets. YES DO IT!

Image you'd be the first human astronaut standing on the surface of Lambiek and looking up you'd see the planets Struise Pannepot, Leffe, Hoegaarden and Oud Beersel floating over the reddish clouds.

Blader

2159_posternormalsize.jpg

Travel Poster by NASA. It is astronomically accurate. You'd see those planets in that way if you were in that place.

This is incredible.

Can't wait for us to invade, only to find out on arrival that the inhabitants of the three planets have destroyed themselves and posioned the athmosphere with a spectacular nuclear fireshow.

Image you'd be the first human astronaut standing on the surface of Lambiek and looking up you'd see the planets Struise Pannepot, Leffe, Hoegaarden and Oud Beersel floating over the reddish clouds.

I need to have dreams about this. The Trippel of life planetary system.

Carn82

Well if you want to honor the system's name I would go for only trappist beers, hehe. Westvleteren, Rochefort, Chimay, Orval, Leffe, so fort.

Bobnob

Wish i was around in 500 years, by then we might have a base on mars and sending landers to the proxima centurie system.

Hastati

I wonder what the probability of life emerging is for a given planet with oceans and constant geological activity. As long as you have organics and thermal vents and infrequent enough bombardment, is it always going to form? Hopefully we get some data from Europa or Enceladus or somewhere close within the next couple of decades.

Can't wait for us to invade, only to find out on arrival that the inhabitants of the three planets have destroyed themselves and posioned the athmosphere with a spectacular nuclear fireshow.

Jokes aside, we'd definitely have sent an unmanned probe first and found about that long before any human got near the planet.

I wonder what the probability of life emerging is for a given planet with oceans and constant geological activity. As long as you have organics and thermal vents and infrequent enough bombardment, is it always going to form? Hopefully we get some data from Europa or Enceladus or somewhere close within the next couple of decades.

I assume the probability is low for any short amount of time, but if a planet has similar properties to earth, and is capable of being stable for long enough (though enough means probably near billion(s) years) I'd bet it happens eventually for all Earth like planets.

RedSwirl

This system sounds like a ton of the ones I've seen exploring in Elite Dangerous and Space Engine. Goes to show how much of the science in those games is plausible.

Comparing our solar system to theirs:

That's very tiny. So it's a dwarf star then? You can probably see the other planets pretty easily if you were on one of them. Just imagine what sort of life could on one of them. I don't believe for a second that we are alone in this universe.

Magus1234

What if our germs kill off any life that is actually there already?

I think we would have that info before any other steps would be taken. Just think of all the crazy possibilities though, imagine sending an AI or Transplanted Human conscious on thousands of tiny drones capable of collecting and reassembling matter to create a sustainable being that could live on that planet. The idea of us getting there may not be achievable but maybe we can make an us there.

Joeku

I haven't followed the JWST; did they give any guesses as to how much better of a picture we'd get of these planets with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom