• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA exoplanet discovery conference (7 Earth-sized planets, 3 in habitable zone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alebrije

I am never going to experience this :(

image.php

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Alex Fitzpatrick @AlexJamesFitz

TRAPPIST-1: come over

me: I can't

TRAPPIST-1: I have seven earthlike planets, several in my habitable zone

me:

0LBuZ97.gif

Lol.

Galava

NASA just discovered the perfect system for humanity. Our species could be established and almost all planets of that system and have short trade and travel routes between them.

Also, ""only"" 40ly wow.

Hopefully one of the three turn out to be truly habitable and have water. Maybe with this discover NASA can put for more effort on FTL travel so we could eventually get to one of those planets.

If I could ask for anything to happen in my lifetime it would be some assurance that humanity isn't going to die on this planet. This might be the beginning...

Iksenpets

Banned
Travel Poster by NASA. It is astronomically accurate. You'd see those planets in that way if you were in that place.

Can you imagine if life developed on these planets just how different the course of your development would be if you could just look up and see another planet with life on it with your naked eye? Like, it's a system where two species on two planets could make first contact with nothing more than a particularly large array of lights or mirrors to signal at each other. You wouldn't even need to wait for radio tech, let alone rocketry. And you'd be at the point where you could do interplanetary travel when you had the sort of tech that got us to the Moon. The incentive to develop space travel tech would be so much higher than it is here.

The planets also are very close to each other. If a person was standing on one of the planet’s surface, they could gaze up and potentially see geological features or clouds of neighboring worlds, which would sometimes appear larger than the moon in Earth's sky.

Amazing

ibyea

Banned
The star is much cooler and more stable than ours.

I wouldn't count on it being stable. Yes, they live way longer, but the problem with M dwarves is that their surface are way more active than hotter stars like the sun, so they flare way more. Cooler does not mean more stable! Which is why I wish they would give more details on how active this star is.

Galava

Hopefully one of the three turn out to be truly habitable and have water. Maybe with this discover NASA can put for more effort on FTL travel so we could eventually get to one of those planets.

If I could ask for anything to happen in my lifetime it would be some assurance that humanity isn't going to die on this planet. This might be the beginning...

With FTL travel (with an alcubierre drive or whatever we invent) we could just establish colonies on every lpanet on that system and create a civilization based on all of them. (Or at least 3 of them, if they have a nice atmosphere)

Alexlf

Man, this is just so damn amazing, I want so badly to find out more about the planets. And we are only barely beginning to look at stars with these methods and this is what we are finding already. Absolutely incredible. We SO need more money going into projects like this.

Belgian beers as names for the planets. YES DO IT!

I know right, makes me more excited about this.

As an aside just recently in the US the only official Trappist brewery outside of Europe opened in Spencer, Massachusetts. Astronomy, science, and beer - can one think of a better combination of things?

Par Score

Oh, yeah, that's the problem, NASA just aren't trying hard enough to break the laws of physics.

2159_posternormalsize.jpg

Travel Poster by NASA. It is astronomically accurate. You'd see those planets in that way if you were in that place.

T.T
Why oh why was I doomed to exist in a time period where we can barely move about our own solar system!

I wanna see that crazy, beautiful alien sky with my own eyes. :,<

Anyways, this is really amazing news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom