• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Waji

I agree with you there.

But hey, people just spent 300+ bucks and people are telling them regular use is going to damage their console. I can see why people are jumping to conclusions.

Typical launch mania--but I'm sure glixel is loving the amount of clicks they're getting right now.
Time to drop the Switch on concrete to show that the Joycons can be easily removed...
Oh wait, already done.

I'm not even sure a kid would damage the screen like this so fast by trying to dock the system.
But I understand the "launch panic". I'm personaly a little afraid that my copy of Zelda wouldn't work after importing it from Japan after seeing a topic with two people having troubles. But the chance is low and I'm in a wait and see stance.

Anyway since what you say about docking the Switch is exactly the same as the discussion I had with my friend I think it shouldn't be that bad.

Lucifon

Really think there's something fishy about this one. It just doesn't seem legit unless you're inserting it like an idiot.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Do you screen protector people also put plastic on your furniture? Use those phone cases that double the size of your phone? Just wondering how much overlap there is between the various protection communities.

lindseybp

I noticed a scratch on mine too after going in and out of the dock just a few times... Luckily I installed a screen protector before ever putting it in the dock.

Really think there's something fishy about this one. It just doesn't seem legit unless you're inserting it like an idiot.

Are you telling me you don't open-palm slam your Nintendo Switch into place to round out a great jam sesh on the ol' Hyrule Express? My dude, the Switch was made to be slam dunked. If you're not serving it up wildstyle, I've got nothing but pity for you.

Theonik

You would think the inner area of the dock where it slides into would have a thin layer of padding. But it's just regular plastic.

Strange oversight.
Nintendo kind of has a thing for making systems that destroy themselves due to bad design.

After seeing numerous videos of how people handle their discs in cases, putting them in and out, I'm not surprised... you savages.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Never thought about it to be honest. I haven't used a screen protector on any phone/system I've owned, and never scratched any of them.

This is a case of using something in the intended fashion and having it get scratches. How should that be expected?

Because it seemed obvious to me from the design of the whole thing.

You're sliding a screen up and down against plastic. What did people think would happen? Nintendo really should have spent the extra money on either gorilla glass, or something cheaper in the dock to protect the screens. Like line it with something.

Kyzer

Banned
Quoting myself but with tests!

I tried testing out the screen protector and dock to try to see if I can make similar scratches. I couldn't. No matter how shit this protector is and how easy it was to make scratches with my nails, the dock itself wasn't scratching the terrible cheap ass plastic (the Hori one to be exact) which the article was so suspiciously convenient to underline in the article.

This news article was probably purchased by Hori trying to convince people to buy their COMPLETELY AWFUL scratch protectors. (They got me)

THE DOCK IS PERFECTLY FINE / CLOSE THREAD this is false information.

fake news

MaDKaT

Do you screen protector people also put plastic on your furniture? Use those phone cases that double the size of your phone? Just wondering how much overlap there is between the various protection communities.

Furniture - Warranty for damage/stains. Also includes cleaning for the first 5 years.

Phones - Yes, some sort of thin case (Metal if I can) and a glass protector. Considering what phones cost out of pocket, Im going to do what I can within reason. Especially since I ride a motorcycle.

thefro

Nintendo kind of has a thing for making systems that destroy themselves due to bad design.

This is the first console launch in the current media era, so any little thing is going to blow up whether confirmed or not since a lot of media sites post before testing/checking things with multiple systems. They only care about getting clicks.

Not saying there couldn't be an issue here, but we won't know until we get a bunch of reports in.

Vena

So uni got one of these for our Gameroom and we were setting it up for club activities later today. We weren't aware of this report/thread but we did do some in-out tests on the Switch to make sure it can't get demolished easily by people moving it in and out of the dock as is going to be common in the Gameroom.

Far as we could tell, there's no way to scratch this thing short of dragging it along the plastic at some very obtuse angles, or just smashing it into the wall. We'll be buying a protector for it, for obvious multi-person use reasons in a public venue, but not because of the dock itself from the looks of it.

Take that as you will.

Time to drop the Switch on concrete to show that the Joycons can be easily removed...
Oh wait, already done.

Lol, they didn't even write an article about that but man are people salty over those few minutes in a 2hr subscriber only stream.

They really should've used pogo pins and magnets for stabilization rather than slotting into a USB-C port.

nexusae0_2014-07-14-13.33.111.jpg

Waji

Lol, they didn't even write an article about that but man are people salty over those few minutes in a 2hr subscriber only stream.
I'm just kidding about the "issues". I really don't care about it.
Both just had the same panic effect (and there are many others).

It's good to be skeptical/careful, But that's not what I see here.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
My order of these came in and they seem as good quality as any decent tempered glass protector you could buy off amazon for a smart phone. Packaged well, not cracked, rounded edges, seem sturdy. I haven't gotten my Switch from UPS yet to check fit.

The Ozrly and amFilm tempered glass protectors are fine. I got my amFilm one today and it was a breeze to apply and looks/feels phenomenal. Insane for $9.99 for two.

Right here. It arrived today. I'll post some pictures in a minute

Did you both use the included alcohol pads to clean the screen before applying?

Nzyme32

Rather than a screen protector, I'd be more inclined to just use some kind of cloth inlay for the dock. I'd use a case for most travelling situations, and rather not get weird artefacts from a screen protector or poorer IQ

budpikmin

Guys. Just make sure you dock with the switch pressed against the back and the screen doesn't make contact. There's loads of room in there

Theonik

This is the first console launch in the current media era, so any little thing is going to blow up whether confirmed or not since a lot of media sites post before testing/checking things with multiple systems. They only care about getting clicks.

Not saying there couldn't be an issue here, but we won't know until we get a bunch of reports in.
Have people forgotten about the 3DS bottom screen scratching the top one when closed? That wasn't all that long ago. Buying consoles at launch is always risky. Hell people who bought the PS4 can attest to this too.

What I want to know is whether the Switch display is glass or plastic/polycarbonate. If plastic you could scratch it by sneezing at it.

branny

Plastic shouldn't be scratching glass (because physics), and I'm struggling to think of any modern consumer devices with capacitive touchscreens made from plastic.

The whole concept of the Switch revolves entirely around docking and undocking, too, so I find this scratching information rather dubious.

eso76

Eh, shame that they didn't think this could happen. I mean, the moment the console was shown, seeing the screen go against that plastic immediately looked jarring and it's weird that the dock would cover part of the screen anyway. While the units are not supposed to touch, from my understanding at least, I shouldn't need to be extra careful when using a feature the hardware was built around.

While it sounds silly though, it looks like an easy and quick fix sticking something soft on the inner side of the docking slide, I wouldn't worry too much, although they should have done that themselves.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So uni got one of these for our Gameroom and we were setting it up for club activities later today. We weren't aware of this report/thread but we did do some in-out tests on the Switch to make sure it can't get demolished easily by people moving it in and out of the dock as is going to be common in the Gameroom.

Far as we could tell, there's no way to scratch this thing short of dragging it along the plastic at some very obtuse angles, or just smashing it into the wall. We'll be buying a protector for it, for obvious multi-person use reasons in a public venue, but not because of the dock itself from the looks of it.

Take that as you will.
C'me on, Vena, you had one job - to decap the SoC and take microscope pictures, and you failed.

hohoXD123

Have people forgotten about the 3DS bottom screen scratching the top one when closed? That wasn't all that long ago. Buying consoles at launch is always risky. Hell people who bought the PS4 can attest to this too.

What I want to know is whether the Switch display is glass or plastic/polycarbonate. If plastic you could scratch it by sneezing at it.

Didn't even know this was a thing. Just checked my launch 3DS and yeah, no scratches around where the bottom screen touches the top.

Did you both use the included alcohol pads to clean the screen before applying?

I did. But I had played with it prior to the screen protector arriving. It came with a dry cloth and microfiber cloth as well.

Here's some pictures I'll try to get. Better shot without reflection so you guys can see how it sits. Tempered glass protectors are just amazing in terms of application. Only ones I never seem to have an issue with. Aside from liquid ones.

Theonik

Plastic shouldn't be scratching glass (because physics), and I'm struggling to think of any modern consumer devices with capacitive touchscreens made from plastic.

The whole concept of the Switch revolves entirely around docking and undocking, too, so I find this scratching information rather dubious.
The Vita's screen was. There is merit in plastic. It's cheaper and doesn't shatter easily which for consoles and especially for Nintendo that sees their systems as toys is a benefit. It's better if your kid drops their system to scratch the screen than shatter it.

Top Bottom