• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

CookTrain

Yeah, because I clearly said that you're full of crap...

That is pretty much what you said, by saying it was all BS.

Hearing that same people have to do more than effortlessly slip the Switch into the dock, sounds horrendous. Bent docks definitely seems like a credible cause and 99% of people won't have anything to compare against.

That is pretty much what you said, by saying it was all BS.

Hearing that same people have to do more than effortlessly slip the Switch into the dock, sounds horrendous. Bent docks definitely seems like a credible cause and 99% of people won't have anything to compare against.

Did you read my post? Like the part where my screen protector is covered in scratches? Not just the part that he cherry picked?
My point was that I thought it was overblown, but I was clearly wrong.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I thought this was some sort of myth. But I can confirm it's real ladies and gentlemen...get those screen protectors.

In case you can't tell if your dock is bent or not by eyeballing it visually, you can try the "penny test". Basically, insert and move a penny along the dock as demonstrated in the gif below, and if it's bent, your penny will encounter resistance while sliding. Otherwise, if it's not bent, it'll slide along easily.

yrPQOP.gif

PetrCobra

In case you can't tell if your dock is bent or not by eyeballing it visually, you can try the "penny test". Basically, insert and move a penny along the dock as demonstrated in the gif below, and if it's bent, your penny will encounter resistance while sliding. Otherwise, if it's not bent, it'll slide along easily.

yrPQOP.gif

Where can I get a penny. Which currency are we talking about?

Why don't you try this?

I'm waiting for mine to arrive so I don't have to put the switch in the dock ever again. The unofficial docks are still coming but meanwhile this is cheap enough and it looks like a good solution to your problems.

My dock is bent and it definitively makes contact with the switch when I put it out of the dock, fortunately for me I haven't noticed any scratches yet but I don't want to risk it.

Are you able to play on the TV using this or is this only a solution for charging if you play undocked all the time?

https://j.gifs.com/yrPQOP.gif

FWIW the penny test isn't fool proof. My dock fails it hard and I've been slamming my Switch in like I don't even give a fuck for months now and it is fine.

Again, not discrediting anyone who has had problems, that sucks. It just definitely is not a complete 1:1 thing.

Spyware

Call Nintendo for a replacement?
Been thinking about it. But I don't really like Bergsala, the scandinavian Nintendo distributor, and I don't really want to use that type of dock anyway. I think I'm just gonna keep playing it as a handheld until I can get another kind of dock.

Reallink

Been dockin' since March 3rd. No scratches to be seen.

FWIW the penny test isn't fool proof. My dock fails it hard and I've been slamming my Switch in like I don't even give a fuck for months now and it is fine.

Again, not discrediting anyone who has had problems, that sucks. It just definitely is not a complete 1:1 thing.

FYI the scratches that occur are generally what could best be described as micro abrasions. They are only visible under certain lighting conditions and will require you to tilt the unit at a variety of angles to see. I used to think my launch unit was in the clear until I really examined it. Every unit will get these unless you apply a protecter straight out of the box, or some type of padding to the dock.

yrPQOP.gif

I used this to confirm mine is bent when I bought it, but it's been 5 months and still no scratches. I get smudges I can take out with a microfiber but thats not really anything to worry about for me.

Mine did get warped I assume from being docked for too long but it's yet to bother me.

Palladium

Neo Member
Any glossy plastic or glass surface is gonna get scratched with routine use unless you use protection.

That said, the overall material quality in the Switch leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The dock's plastic is so shitty it that wiping it with a tissue paper scratches the surface (lmao $90 for this POS?), while gently putting in an audio cable into the 3.5mm jack scratches the area around the jack. The screen should have been glass like everybody else including those $20 Walmart phones, but no, it has to be plastic because of penny pinching Nintendo wanted to save 10 cents per unit. My iPhone is a built like a tank compared to this.

DonMigs85

Any glossy plastic or glass surface is gonna get scratched with routine use unless you use protection.

That said, the overall material quality in the Switch leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The dock's plastic is so shitty it that wiping it with a tissue paper scratches the surface (lmao $90 for this POS?), while gently putting in an audio cable into the 3.5mm jack scratches the area around the jack. The screen should have been glass like everybody else including those $20 Walmart phones, but no, it has to be plastic because of penny pinching Nintendo wanted to save 10 cents per unit. My iPhone is a built like a tank compared to this.
Yeah, I miss the Game Boy and SNES plastic, that was super durable.

Tabasco

What difference does it make based on the first sentence?

J4K

What difference does it make based on the first sentence?

Yeah, I'm kind of at that point right now too.

If the first thing you do with your screen regardless of material is put a nice tempered-glass cover on it for $10, why shouldn't Nintendo shave a bit off the bill of materials and use plastic?

My first reaction was "really? plastic?" but the choice makes more sense in the context of people almost always bringing their own screen protector anyway.

Top Bottom