• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF on Zelda Switch: Docked has major frame drops, portable doesn't (no score talk)

I do think the porting process from wiiu to switch caused some of these issues and it being a launch game is part of it too.

Considering the power of the docked unit it's really not logical to see it struggling with physics that the wiiu handles pretty well.

Justinian

So if the drops are not dependent of what's on screen? What are they're reasons?

In massive, complex open worlds like this one, there are plenty of things going on behind the scenes that could be bottlenecks.

There are drops that happen due to stuff on screen and there are other drops that are due to these bottlenecks.

Neoweee

In massive, complex open worlds like this one, there are plenty of things going on behind the scenes that could be bottlenecks.

There are drops that happen due to stuff on screen and there are other drops that are due to these bottlenecks.

Yeah. Open-World and physics-y stuff are both problematic, and this is very much both of those. The game is checking for a lot of possible interactions.

eizarus

Banned
I wonder if Iwata would have had approve to send Zelda out like this?
From what I know of him, the answer is he wouldn't. I think.
Hopefully they can patch it to pick up the frame rate stability. I'll be playing it portable when I eventually get a switch, but it sucks for anyone wanting to play it docked.

Playing on WiiU. It's playable but definitely not what I'd consider "fine" and certainly not "rare". Plenty of areas that will always have bad drops all the time, particularly villages, forests, and nearly every time it rains heavily.

Dinjoralo

One thing I've noticed is in portable mode, the game seems to take a resolution dip sometimes. It's pretty easy to tell since it's so crisp until that happens. So maybe that's part of why portable mode runs better?

Justinian

One thing I've noticed is in portable mode, the game seems to take a resolution dip sometimes. It's pretty easy to tell since it's so crisp until that happens. So maybe that's part of why portable mode runs better?

No, the resolution never changes. It might be the screen displaying minor interlacing lines when panning or moving quickly,

Dinjoralo

No, the resolution never changes. It might be the screen displaying minor interlacing lines when panning or moving quickly,

I'm pretty sure it's lowering the resolution. Take this vs. this.

Holy crap, the picture uploading on the Switch is complete ass. But still you should be able to see the second picture being less blurred than the first...?

ubiblu

So if the game can't sustain a 30fps it will go down to 20???

Why Nintendo?

Everything in the world is persistent. There are visual tricks employed, but for the most part, there are thousands of concurrent assets, each with their own physics, and everything is being handled simultaneously.

I think some people are heavily discounting how impressive the technology is for a handheld; Zelda is also an incredibly demanding game for any device with its myriad assets, so 900p docked is tech wizardry itself.

I will, however, concede that a certain location in the game (without spoiling) is borderline unplayable when docked; handheld is fine.

Justinian

Everything in the world is persistent. There are visual tricks employed, but for the most part, there are thousands of concurrent assets, each with their own physics, and everything is being handled simultaneously.

I think some people are heavily discounting how impressive the technology is for a handheld; Zelda is also an incredibly demanding game for any device with its myriad assets, so 900p docked is tech wizardry itself.

I will, however, concede that a certain location in the game (without spoiling) is borderline unplayable when docked; handheld is fine.

You're missing the point. If Nintendo hadn't of implemented double buffer vsync, the game would probably be dropping a lot less frames. Double buffering means that even when there is a slight drop of say 1fps, the game drops 10fps instead. If they got rid of the double buffering we would be seeing more subtle drops like in other open world games, but instead we get this.

I'm pretty sure it's lowering the resolution. Take this vs. this.

Holy crap, the picture uploading on the Switch is complete ass. But still you should be able to see the second picture being less blurred than the first...?

Looks the same to me.

-shadow-

I'm at work, can anyone type up their findings?
Overworld seems mostly fine until explosions happen and both will tank. WiiU will stay around the 20fps for a bit longer than Switch. Kakariko Village seems fine on the Switch with a few stutters and the WiiU runs pretty much non stop at 20.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
New findings:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...h-of-the-wild-uses-dynamic-resolution-scaling

First up, let's talk metrics. Getting a firm lock on this is challenging owing to the fact that right now, we can't grab direct feed video from the Switch in handheld mode, but based on screenshot dumps, we're pretty confident that when the game hits system limits, resolution drops to 90 per cent on both axes - so the portable mode dips to 1152x648. This represents 81 per cent of native 720p in total.

On the face of it, the utilisation of a dynamic framebuffer may explain how the portable mode runs more smoothly. However, further investigation confirms that the same scaling tech is utilised when Zelda is docked as well, with a native pixel-count of 1440x810 at stress points, dropping down from its usual 1600x900. Tellingly, this is also a 90 per cent scaling on both X and Y axes, just like the handheld scaling implementation.

The comparatively small bump in memory bandwidth between mobile and docked configuration remains our best theory here. Undocked, Switch runs its LPDD4 modules at 1331MHz, rising to 1600MHz when plugged into the dock. That's only a 20 per cent increase in bandwidth to sustain a 56 per cent uplift in resolution. Meanwhile, both CPU and GPU are tapping into that same pool of bandwidth, possibly causing contention issues.

yes, you've guessed it - the same scaling technology is also deployed on the last-gen version of Zelda as well. We used Kakariko Village here as an established testing point where performance is poor in order to confirm this. Wii U matches Switch's portable profile, offering up a 1152x648 resolution in these areas.

Mega

Banned
It originally ran at 60fps? :|

That's crazy if true. Whatever the case, a patch to fix inconsistencies and lock it to 30fps in docked mode would be nice.

Maxinas

Think it was clear from the beginning that Zelda was just a rushed Wii U port to meet the Switch's launch date. Mario Odyssey will probably be the first Nintendo game to push the Switch to its limits (or at least i hope they do).

sikkinixx

It originally ran at 60fps? :|

That's crazy if true. Whatever the case, a patch to fix inconsistencies and lock it to 30fps in docked mode would be nice.

No doubt. The Korok Forest is a gongshow. Having played dozens of hours in handheld mode it was a shock to try it docked and see the drops. Handheld only for me.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Have encountered horrible drops while fighting mini boss in a field. It becomes a slide show at times. The game runs fine otherwise.

AmyS

Written By John Keefer

Optimization issues could be at the heart of the game's performance drops.

While The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is fantastic, the Nintendo Switch version of game has its share of performance and framerate issues, especially between docked TV mode and handheld mode. Speculation has varied on what the issue could be, as it tends to be sporadic, but one developer seems to think it is just programming bugs.
The unnamed developer from Bplus Games told GameSplash that only certain zoom ratios are affected. "Most of the frame-rate issues in Zelda are just programming failures. If Nintendo sets the right people to it they can totally fix them, " the developer is quoted as saying. "Some dev friends and I have the same feeling about that. Because sometimes it is just a specific zoom ratio that makes the frame-rate drop. Just zoom in a bit closer or further away and it runs super smooth. The problem is that the game wants to show both near and far LOD (Level of Detail) objects. This is a frame-rate killer if two objects are in each other. To show that, it would need around 10 times the power. And if you see Kakariko Village, the framerate hell there, and then the more beautiful Hateno Village, which runs super smoothly, you see that doesn't make sense. So something else is going wrong there."
The dev also said that Nintendo knows about the LOD issue, but hasn't fixed it yet. He explains that in his chats will some Nintendo developers, he found the game originally ran at 60fps, but they didn't want performance fluctuations, so they focused on capping it at 30fps.

okp66FD.gif

Dremorak

Banned
I really doubt it originally ran at 60fps. And I dont think its a "close detail vs far off detail" thing, because you can be in a pretty detailed environment from high up and see for forever and the framerate is solid

Honestly, the game is better in handheld mode for Switch IMO. I wish they gave an unlocked framerate option so it didn't hard lock to 20/15/10 or whatever it does.

Grinchy

Banned
I notice the framedrops, but for some reason they don't bother me that much. The game doesn't feel choppy.

Yeah, I'm pretty sensitive to framerate, but in this game's case, I just don't give a fuck.

My favorite area in Dark Souls was Blight Town and that ran like horseshit. If a game is great enough, my brain just lets this kinda shit slide.

scoobs

I've been playing only in tablet mode, and I've been noticing some weird hitches and frame drops in the forest areas. I was climbing a tower and my game literally just completely froze for 2-3 seconds. Some weird stuff going on with this game performance wise for sure.

This reads like a bunch of nonsense. A thread about it was locked too, so we probably shouldn't put much stock into this guy.

The performance is certainly weird though. The game basically freezes almost every time I hit a Moblin down.

I dunno, this was explicitly said at GDC:

yLzAQwK.png

If they literally did no optimization I'd buy this story.

Spinifex

yLzAQwK.png

Yeah, if built from the ground up I have no doubt this game could be 60fps on Switch. Technically it's very basic in many regards, the art style is absolutely carrying it and is the reason for its stunning beauty at times.

It's my great hope that there is another mainline Zelda game on Switch that is 60fps.

yLzAQwK.png

this doesn't even make sense though?

of course they optimised it, it runs better than the wii u ver in undocked switch mode + they would've had to port it to a different architecture for the switch anyway

this doesn't even make sense though?

of course they optimised it, it runs better than the wii u ver in undocked switch mode + they would've had to port it to a different architecture for the switch anyway
Considering that the game was getting developed for both consoles and they didn't want the two to look or feel different, this is implying that they got it running with brute force.

There's no doubt they were trying to cut corners, save money, and rush it for switch launch.. But I wonder how heavily they were thinking about not alienating wii u owners who wanted it on the wii u.

When you compare twilight princess on the cube vs Wii, the Wii version got the exact same treatment also, with the difference being only that the wii supported wide screen, it was mirrored. and had motion controls vs the cube.

Branduil

I would've preferred if they had kept it at 720P while docked. Hope they patch it.
I wouldn't. It's not worth sacrificing the resolution gains for the 95% of the time it runs fine. If anything they just should have given more leeway to the adaptive resolution.

Top Bottom