• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild "OMG I didn't know you could do that!" thread [SPOILERS]

first legit new thing I haven't seen in here before?
could be wrong but think it was posed around here, else it would have been in the post i made because i notcied myself but tried to avoid repeating what others said if i had nothing to add. Do remember been hughely disapointed though.

PAGE 8:

Once you get into Gerudo, you can stand under the mini waterfall/fountains and instantly cool off.

Not really "you can do this", but a neat little detail:

17240243_1222644321106zuo6.jpg

Fire weapon indoors

17239861_12226446711065uuc.jpg

Fire weapon in the rain. The rain drops vaporize (only) on the blade and produce steam.

Peléo;232136460 said:
Sailing using Magnesis and Metal Weapons:

Credits to Gamexplain and the user Kelevra_V from reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5zevi3/psa_new_sailing_method_in_botw/

If you shoot an explosive barrel with a fire arrow while it's raining, it catches on fire and gets doused, instead of immediately exploding. The same applies if it's floating in water. Kind of weird if you ask me.

There is a really cool secret room of death beneath one of the mazes.

If you grab a Cuccoo and run into a battle, hit it twice and then set it down near an enemy or throw it at them and when the enemy hits it they'll be swarmed by Cuccoos. I wonder if that would work on the last boss 🤔

PAGE 9:

I just fed my horse an Endurance carrot and i got 2 extra spurs for dashing :eek:

cus I'm near death mount
There is a hot spring
If you throw an egg in it, the egg will be cooked into hot spring egg

Instead of renting a sand seal, just bomb a wild one to phase it. Go up behind it and youre good to go!

13hlphVi9Cm9KE.gif

You can't swim while on the horses back, it swims on it's own, but most of the time it will avoid water if it can. I think it might even refuse to follow you if it has to swim to reach you, but if it ends up in the water, it can swim on it's own.

The set bonus on the Rubber Set also has the unshockable attribute making you immune to lightning strikes.

Keep. Stepping. On. The. Lady's. Flowers. Holy S***!

Cutting grass will reveal insects, reptiles and life-saver "fairies". The content that can be found in the grass seems to be based on location, weather and ToD. I've found areas with grass containing huge amount of fairies.

*Refreshment's note: In Hateno region grass will spawn Hylian rice and In Tabantha Region Tabantha Weed.

You can use Stasis on pressure plates to keep them pressed down. Pretty useful for some shrines.

PAGE 10:

(CLIMBING IN THE RAIN)
If you can find an area to climb covered by an overhang it doesn't get wet in the rain.

I typically will take 3-4 steps up then jump. After which you always slip a bit, but if you constantly repeat this process you'll make decent progress.

the goron weapon "stone smasher" actually 3hits the Talus mini bosses.

CHU JELLY:
- Craft elixirs
- Start fires
- Dye ingredients
- Sell for Mon or Rupees
- Use as 'elemental bombs'
*(Upgrade Armor)

Using arrows in the hot zones of Death Mountain can be very dangerous :

- Wood arrows will start to burn.
- Ice arrows will lose their ice power if you wait too long.

PAGE 11:

Pushing bokoblins or moblins into the water (with the use of a bomb for example, or with a magnesis object) will kill them.

If you're having trouble with Thyphlo Ruins...

If you have Urbosa's Fury: hold the charge as long as you can. Its green forcefield will illuminate quite a large area, and you will the see silhouettes of objects and obstacles. Obviously this works better the more stamina you have, as you can hold the charge longer, but still.

You can cancel the forcefield without doing the actual attack too, giving you an endless array of "radar", so to speak..

Apparently Purah is insecure about her height and will react differently to Link if he talks to her while standing on the table:

C7KsWZkXgAAH9MT.jpg:large

If you're looking for good guardian weapons, a blood moon will reset enemies in shrines. Good way to stack up on ++ weapons

Moblins standing in water, if not aggro'd, will idling drink the water and wash their armpits.

You can break wooden chests with a sword
You can use metal weapons instead of metal stuff in the shrines about connecting eletricity
Breaking the guardian's legs gives more loot than just arrowing his eyes
Guardian Arrows insta kill every small enemy but it is lootless

PAGE12:
Most wider waterfalls are climbable behind the water.

The Shieka Slate+ can be used in shrines as well, to find chests.

I just found out you can make Link pose in selfies by pushing different directions on the left stick.

And if you hold ZL while pressing a direction on the left stick you get 4 more poses.

Not myself, but I just saw a bokblin actually trying to melt an ice block. Literally had a fire stick on his hand and held it against the block
The AI is so much fun! I had a Electric Lizalfos use and electrical charge shot to knock my sword out of my hand, then proceed to pick it up and throw it at me as I stood up!

Electric Lizalfos are also decently likely to catch your boomerang right out of the air if you telegraph the throw too much

I had a fight with the girl who is bad at cooking yesterday. You know the one next to the shrine on the south.
It appears if a character has a shield and weapon they will defend and attack if you attack often enough. In her case it was a soup spoon and cooking top.

It's possible to heal Wolf Link by dropping food for him, he also eats the food/animal meat he hunts for if he is below full health.

PAGE 13:

Apparently Wolf Link will eat food in the environment automatically to replenish it's heart unless you tell it to stay. You can also use the Wolf Link amiibo multiple times (if still alive) to teleport Wolf Link to your location.

today I saw a rainbow for the first time. It appeared, as one might expect, when it was raining but sunny, and looked quite realistic and particularly beautiful as the sun was setting.

In the tundra you can also see the northern lights / aurora borealis, but I think that's more widely known / easier to find.

If you release fireflies or other insects, Lizalfos will try to eat them instead of fight you.

Also also if you jump and collect an insect, Link will reach out in its direction for his animation to grab it.

I used the Guardian Amiibo to summon metal crates to crush a sleeping Bokogoblin:
... if you mess around with an electric wizzrobe, eventually he will stand in place and do a dance, and the weather will immediately change to a thunderstorm and stay that way until you kill him.

The ice ones will do something similar and ice balls will start raining from the sky, which is absolute hell as they freeze you. Wouldn't be surprised if the fire ones did the same with fireballs, considering the second-tier fire rod is "Meteor Rod".

n
If you are a person that skip every small repeated cutscene that can be skipped like me, you probably didn't noticed that every level that you upgrade an armor has a different fairy animation. From blowing a kiss to grabbing link and pulling him inside the fountain to what I can only assume is some fierce fairy sex on the last level

It took me a while to realise you can scan amiibos other than the zelda ones in this game... every website seemed to insist that only zelda amiibos had rewards.

Kinda creepy to scan animal crossing amiibos and see animal meat falling from the sky...

PAGE 14:

NPCs often have more than one dialogue. Keep talking to them and sometimes the result is hilarious.

Stand on a seller's table in Tarrey Town and the seller will change their expression. Also they have multiple lines of saying how rude you are.

I did that quest at more than 100h in, so I can tell you exactly how it is. From leaving the plateau, you can encounter random NPC that can transform into Yiga clan (the skinny dudes) after a short speech with them. And that's it. I found about a dozen in all my playtime.

After you complete the Yiga Clan quest, you encounter the skinny dudes and the big dudes with the sword everywhere, even if not interacting with anyone.

If you somehow manage to get to the end in each of the first four shrines without actually getting the item the game acknowledges it and tells you to get the item first.

A neat little touch I found the other day was that NPCs who run in the rain put their hands up to prevent the rain from getting in their eyes.

In the water dungeon, I could not for the life of me figure out how to open the damn gate.

I ended up puttin a bomb under the door, then timing my run through it. After I got the map inside I realized "duh, idiot. Cryo."

PAGE 15:

If you bomb cuckoos, they will not attack you. The might get frightened and leave an egg, however.

Has this video been shared yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-l57ajl46E

Grab a mine cart, enough octo balloons, and with careful use of stasis you can get near the upper atmosphere!
The rain really exists (in some parts) you can see the rainy clouds from far away, even the lightning on stormy ones. And how it starts to rain when the clouds come closer to you. This is the first game I see this. It is easier to see this from a tower.

I'm not sure about this, but it seems when you gallop and attack an enemy, the attack is stronger. I was one hit killing enemies with a weak Lance.

Smash Zelda amiibo sometimes gives you light bow. It shoots straight, fast, it is strong and doesn't use arrows, but you can't use elemental arrows.

The Lynel shields can damage an enemy when you parry a normal attack.

The painter is, well, not good at painting. But the paint is always related to the zone where you see him. Refreshment's Note: Pikango is actually emulating the Picasso style of painting, so he's actually quite good.

Some broadsword (big swords, sorry, I play in Spanish) do not have the spinning charge attack. Instead those have a samurai like charge. The Yiga wind sword is an example.

You can use heavy weapons, like the hammer, to solve some of those balance puzzles.

You can use heavy weapons, like the hammer, to solve some of those balance puzzles.

You can one hit kill any stal enemy with a head shot.

I figured out the formula for how much vendors will buy your elixirs for. It stumped me until I realized the number of ingredients is a factor, in the most literal sense.

The formula is:
(Selling price of all raw ingredients x factor) rounded up to the nearest multiple of 10.
Factor is:
1.8 for elixirs with 2 ingredients (which is the minimum as you need a bug/frog/etc. plus a monster part).
2.1 for elixirs with 3 ingredients.
2.4 for elixirs with 4 ingredients.
2.8 for elixirs with 5 ingredients.

Last night I discovered that you can stasis the torch stands in shrines and knock them around. Also, you can't use magnesis on the stands themselves, but you can magnesis and object into them and push them around quickly. I was able to push one up a ramp and then off a ledge onto a metal box. I could then stasis the box around very carefully and balance the torch stand on it to ignite objects (dry foliage, boxes, etc). Note, this is only useful because I'm super cheap and didn't want to waste any fire arrows. It took like 30 minutes.

You can also light normal arrows on fire with a torch stand. They go out after a short while, but if you cancel firing you can walk around with a flaming arrow normally if you don't put the bow away. It doesn't use up any durability or arrows as far as I can tell, unless you actually fire it. If you're fast enough you can retrieve a fired flaming arrow before it burns up, too.

PAGE 16:

A lot of the secrets I've found, the game teaches me through loading screen hints, NPC conversations, shrine puzzles, or shrine quests. It's a pretty cool way to drip feel the wealth of info to the players.

A few I found out from the game:
-Both bombs have their own dentonator/cooldown meaning you can spam bombs if you want by just switching between the two and by the time one is detonated, the other should be charged up.
-Besides one being able to roll and one that is made to not roll, they have different weights so physics, wind, etc. effect them differently. Even just a regular throw sends the round bomb slightly farther.
-Wolf Link can help you find a Shrine if it's picked up by your Sheikah Slate. The loading screen tips let me know this one.
Someone just sent me this. You can friggin' parry a Bokoblin thrown at you by a Moblin:

https://twitter.com/BriHardGaming/status/844131020769120256
C7b0sHAU0AA2dGv.jpg

Guardians instinctively walk away from Link, so if you land on top of one, you can "steer" it by moving around.

Cryonis doesn't work in hot springs.

I managed to take a few weapons to Eventide Island without them being taken away lol
https://youtu.be/rO5KNxACvRU?t=3m14s

PAGE 17:

If the star fragment is too far away and you think you can't reach it before 5am, you can set a fire and sleep to next night, the fragment wont disappear.

You can block the lasers from the Tests of Strength by using Cryonis and the blocks don't break. It's kinda cheap lol

Anyone noticed during test of strenght, that you can use magnesis to lift some metal floor blocks in order to protect yourself?

If you're having trouble catching a steed the stealthy way—particularly the best ones south of Hebra—you can shoot an Ice Arrow at horses to freeze them in their tracks. Once frozen, wait beside/behind them until they thaw, and mount them once they do. It also works on bears and stags.

Discovered this out of frustration after the best mounts kept running away.

Cows, goats, and sheep can all be fed herbs, though it doesn't do anything.

Horses will eat right out of your hand. You don't need to drop the apples/carrots.

Link hold the sheikah slate when using the camera rune

C8ZK7RcVwAAk3Rb.jpg

PAGE 18:

Just found out the 1-2 combo with the korok leaf is the sloowest way to propel a raft. Quick sucessions of the level 1 charge attack and you got a speed boat going twice as fast as a horse.

Okay, new amazing discovery. Some guy managed to beat the Cryonis shrine without even getting the Cryonis rune. In 3 different ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPgYSAx4LOs

And it seems that Nintendo took that possibility into account, since the monk won't let you finish the shrine until you get the rune from the pedestal first.

I've found a way for climbing a mountain when it's raining XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZWW73GqWXY

Ice Lizalfos will die if they fall into a hot springs, as if they got hit by fire.

I once hit a Moblin stalfos with a bomb and made him fall apart. Not the explosion, the actual physical bomb. You might have to be pretty close, but when it happened I lol'd.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but omg... lol

BotW - Infinite Flying Machine

PAGE 19:
A cool detail I found was that when you equip the Flameblade, the chape (pointy part) and the locket (top part) of the scabbard are damaged. Usually, the scabbard is made of metal and then overlaid with fabric or something. Because the concentration of fire is at greatest near the point and the guard of the sword, it has melted away the fabric, leaving the metal part of scabbard exposed.

Did you guys know you could turn off the champion bonuses? Revali's Gale and nothing else for me.

Cryonis doesn't seem to have any sort of elemental effect and I've tried it in a variety of depths of water. What it can do is push the fish below it, scare them onto shore if they are close enough, or occasionally lift them out of the water, but they are never frozen nor killed.

One thing testing this has lead me to discover is if you Cryonis directly over an Octorok, it pushes them underwater causing all their shots to hit the shore, and even if you miss, as long as you make pillar in front of them, it can block their shots. Also, If you are able to get the timing right to make a block under them while they jump out of the water and get them to stay on top, they'll try to bury into the ice like they were on land and just disappear.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but if you walk up to NPCs with
Radiant
armor at night or
Dark Link
gear on at any time, they will get scared of you. Pretty fun detail to see people's reactions.*Refreshment's Note: Only at night.

PAGE 20

It seems other blunt weapons are good at breaking ore deposits, I thought it was just metal hammers and bombs.

There's also a staff which is good for mining. It's usually found in the Eldin region.

Yeah all the goron stuff seems to. I just never realized that those dragonbone clubs could break ore in one hit. All those times I blew the ore off the cliff with bombs...

I usually avoid using bomb to mine due to the very same reason. There's even a NPC near the Dueling Peaks stable comments about that rough approach lol

You can break ore with any weapon, although some take so long that they will break before. However virtually any two-handed sword will also break them in one hit. I use the Master Sword, which takes a couple hits. Not the most dignified use for the Blade of Evil's Bane, but since it regenerates...

There is an NPC in a stable (the one after the Twin Peaks) that study the Blood Moon and can tell you when if that night is going to be one.

Also
while the Blood Moon is random you can augment your chances of having a Blood Moon by killing enemies.

Mariolee

13hlphVi9Cm9KE.gif

You can't swim while on the horses back, it swims on it's own, but most of the time it will avoid water if it can. I think it might even refuse to follow you if it has to swim to reach you, but if it ends up in the water, it can swim on it's own.

Legit mindblowing.

Somnid

Jesus. I've played this game into the triple digits and yet on a mountain I stumbled upon a very special "horse" for the first time. The interesting part is, as far as I can tell it serves no purpose, the whole scene was just pure WTF.

Jesus. I've played this game into the triple digits and yet on a mountain I stumbled upon a very special "horse" for the first time. The interesting part is, as far as I can tell it serves no purpose, the whole scene was just pure WTF.

This game man. This game.

Not only is it absolutely massive in sheer size, but it's so densly​ packed with content, secrets, things to do and collect. There's always something interesting to go after in any direction you look. I'm totally enchanted by it.

vareon

That was great, right? I think games rarely do this nowadays, inserting something just for the sake of discovery without reconfirming players with "yes, you did this" through checklist of achievements.

TheMoon

That was great, right? I think games rarely do this nowadays, inserting something just for the sake of discovery without reconfirming players with "yes, you did this" through checklist of achievements.

This is why I was so vehemently against forcing achievements into this game in that thread last week.

imae

I agree, I love that BotW doesnt push you to do and find everything with a checklist or pre-determined rewards. Korok seeds are a good example in that you need only less than half of the total for all the inventory upgrades.

I'm probably the only one, but I didnt realize you could do a forward hop/jump while crouching until I was at around the 100 hour mark lol.

Also, probably mentioned a few times already, but if you crouch at the side/back of a chest and open it link will punch it and hurt his hand.

That swimming horses thing... damn.

GoldStarz

I agree, I love that BotW doesnt push you to do and find everything with a checklist or pre-determined rewards. Korok seeds are a good example in that you need only less than half of the total for all the inventory upgrades.

I'm probably the only one, but I didnt realize you could do a forward hop/jump while crouching until I was at around the 100 hour mark lol.

Also, probably mentioned a few times already, but if you crouch at the side/back of a chest and open it link will punch it and hurt his hand.

You're not alone. Although to be fair, I didn't do much sneaking in the game. I usually just hunted whatever I came across in my travels.

Munti

I don't know if these are already been mentioned:

When it's raining, you can shieldsurf on tall grass very good and quite fast, even when the ground is very flat (hold forward)

If you wear a lizal shield (sadly I don't know which one anymore) and talk with the NPC for the shieldsurfing minigame, she compliments you and says that this is an excellent choice and that the spike will help for doing great manouvers (although I didn't really see a difference yet)

TheMoon

A couple of times, yes. :)

Chances of someone finding a new thing are slim at this point. Unless you do something in a rare circumstance involving many variables, it's probably been posted/discovered.

If you wear a lizal shield (sadly I don't know which one anymore) and talk with the NPC for the shieldsurfing minigame, she compliments you and says that this is an excellent choice and that the spike will help for doing great manouvers (although I didn't really see a difference yet)

Someone checked and found the lizalfos shield to be the fastest.

The bows that shoot multiple arrows at the same time only consume a single arrow??!!

This is what I think I'm seeing from this video (fighting two Lynels at the same time): https://youtu.be/BTX-mTPVGiI

I've been avoiding using those bows the whole time out of fear of quickly depleting my arrows... But if they only take one arrow to do multiple hits, holy shit. I've been missing out.

The bows that shoot multiple arrows at the same time only consume a single arrow??!!

This is what I think I'm seeing from this video (fighting two Lynels at the same time): https://youtu.be/BTX-mTPVGiI

I've been avoiding using those bows the whole time out of fear of quickly depleting my arrows... But if they only take one arrow to do multiple hits, holy shit. I've been missing out.
Yes they only consume 1 arrow.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Yeah for a while I thought it shot 2-3 at a time for better damage but would use that many from your stock. I think I noticed my stock of arrows wasn't going down that quickly, plus someone talked about those bow types too

Crayolan

It says that in the description of any of those bows.

The fuck? Can't believe I missed that. I have multiple kinds of those bows in my inventory (and house). Can't wait to check them out again and put them to good use.

Is the bow's attack stat for all arrows combined, or each arrow deals the base amount of damage?

Crayolan

The fuck? Can't believe I missed that. I have multiple kinds of those bows in my inventory (and house). Can't wait to check them out again and put them to good use.

I think it only says it when you first pick them up (not in the inventory) so it can be easy to miss I guess.

Is the bow's attack stat for all arrows combined, or each arrow deals the base amount of damage?
Each arrow. For example, the regular Lynel Now has a damage stat of 10 x3.

Koren

The sad thing with double/triple bows is that you cannot pick back the arrows.

That would not have been an exploit to get infinite arrows, since they break, but I would have seen myself duping arrows this way.

You actually read and hear it a lot of times in the game. Don't know how people could miss this information.
I don't remember reading about it that often (and not hearing about it). But I read it at least a couple times, indeed (although you're often quick to close the window when you get a new weapon).

I thought it was in the description, though?

I cant believe even after a month I'm still learning new things about this game. I had no idea you could do that until now. Jeez!

Holly shit, and i was playing right now when I get a tip on the loading screen explaining how the triple arrows consume only one! What are the odds??

Did you just use the triple bow before the tip appeared? I noticed the tips always appear after I discover/do something myself. They almost never tell me info I didn't already know.

So it's no surprise you got the tip after you used the bow (if that's the case).

pestul

100 hours of game time and I haven't used my 5+ multi-arrow bows even once.. lol

Iolo

I can't believe you guys didn't even try the multiple arrow bows. Shooting 5 bomb arrows at Lynels is the best.

I can't believe you guys didn't even try the multiple arrow bows. Shooting 5 bomb arrows at Lynels is the best.

I tried it a few times in the beginning to make it easier to hit bokoblins riding horses (I remember the description saying it's good for moving targets), but as my aim got better I thought why waste 3 arrows when one does the job? And it didn't occur to me that you could effectively headshot someone with 3 arrows from a close range (until I saw that video, I guess my brain was stuck in thinking of it as a spread of arrows to cover a wide range), that would have been worth it on occasions even if it took 3 arrows out of your stock.

Umm. Uh-huh.

His name is likely a reference to Picasso and van Gogh, but he's not emulating anyone's style. He literally paints like a child (which might also be a Picasso reference).
That's Picasso's abstract style.

Trying to show all angles of the horse in one painting.

I tried it a few times in the beginning to make it easier to hit bokoblins riding horses (I remember the description saying it's good for moving targets), but as my aim got better I thought why waste 3 arrows when one does the job? And it didn't occur to me that you could effectively headshot someone with 3 arrows from a close range (until I saw that video, I guess my brain was stuck in thinking of it as a spread of arrows to cover a wide range), that would have been worth it on occasions even if it took 3 arrows out of your stock.
You do know that even though the bow fires 3 or 5 arrows, it only uses a single arrow out of your inventory, right?

You do know that even though the bow fires 3 or 5 arrows, it only uses a single arrow out of your inventory, right?

Do you even read bruh? :p

Yes they only consume 1 arrow.

Yeah for a while I thought it shot 2-3 at a time for better damage but would use that many from your stock. I think I noticed my stock of arrows wasn't going down that quickly, plus someone talked about those bow types too

Daaamn. Good thing I've been hoarding those bows "just in case"... Looks like I'm going to make it rain on some monsters soon :D

I thought it was in the description, though?

It's not in the description of the bows by the way. I checked. It must be only in the loading screen tips, which are random and keep repeating so I don't read them most of the time, or tip may have not even showed up for some people.

Koren

Even if it is in description, I'm sure it's not in all of them. The question is, is there a bow where it's written, since there's several of them?

There's x5 bows? Silver Lynel's is x3, no?

Even if it is in description, I'm sure it's not in all of them. The question is, is there a bow where it's written, since there's several of them?

There's x5 bows? Silver Lynel's is x3, no?

There is an x5 bow

xydjw4r1nymy.jpg

Not my screenshot. I have the bow, don't remember where I got it from. The x5 thing might be a random luck attribute like the Durability Up, Attack Up, etc.

TheMoon

Have you not been to Korok Forest where you get one during a shrine quest and get told about this?

Top Bottom