• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington, California, New York band together to form climate alliance

Loxley

Where is the full list of mayors who are part of this? I only see a few in the CNN link.

Here's a list of every mayor/city that has pledged to combat climate change (so far), per the "Climate Mayors" website. You can probably expect most, if not all of them, to join the Climate Alliance:

Mayor Kathy Sheehan
City of Albany, NY

Mayor Christopher Taylor
City of Ann Arbor, MI

Mayor Susan Ornelas
City of Arcata, CA

Mayor Esther Manheimer
City of Asheville, NC

Mayor Steve Skadron
City of Aspen, CO

Mayor Kasim Reed
City of Atlanta, GA

Mayor Steve Adler
City of Austin, TX

Mayor Jesse Arreguin
City of Berkeley, CA

Mayor John Hamilton
City of Bloomington, IN

Mayor Martin J Walsh
City of Boston, MA

Mayor Suzanne Jones
City of Boulder, CO

Mayor Miro Weinberger
City of Burlington, VT

Mayor John J Tecklenburg
City of Charleston, SC

Mayor Jennifer Roberts
City of Charlotte, NC

Mayor Rahm Emanuel
City of Chicago, IL

Mayor Mary Casillas Salas
City of Chula Vista, CA

Mayor Patrick Wojahn
City of College Park, MD

Mayor Stephen K Benjamin
City of Columbia, SC

Mayor Andrew Ginther
City of Columbus, OH

Mayor Jim Cason
City of Coral Gables, FL

Mayor Jeffrey Cooper
Culver City, CA

Mayor Mike Rawlings
City of Dallas, TX

Mayor Michael Hancock
City of Denver, CO

Mayor Roy D Buol
City of Dubuque, IA

Mayor William V Bell
City of Durham, NC

Mayor David Kaptain
City of Elgin, IL

Mayor Lucy Vinis
City of Eugene, OR

Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl
City of Evanston, IL

Mayor Lioneld Jordan
City of Fayetteville, AR

Mayor Wade Troxell
City of Fort Collins, CO

Mayor Jack Seiler
City of Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mayor Ashley Swearengin
City of Fresno, CA

Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson
City of Gary, IN

Mayor Sylvester Turner
City of Houston, TX

Mayor Sly James
Kansas City, MO

Mayor Madeline Rogero
City of Knoxville, TN

Mayor Adam Paul
City of Lakewood, CO

Mayor Mark Stodola
City of Little Rock, AR

Mayor Robert Garcia
City of Long Beach, CA

Mayor Dennis Coombs
City of Longmont, CO

Mayor Eric Garcetti
City of Los Angeles, CA

Mayor Lou La Monte
City of Malibu, CA

Mayor Philip Levine
City of Miami Beach, FL

Mayor Tom Barrett
City of Milwaukee, WI

Mayor Mark Gamba
City of Milwaukie, OR

Mayor Betsy Hodges
City of Minneapolis, MN

Mayor John Hollar
City of Montpelier, VT

Mayor Jon Mitchell
City of New Bedford, MA

Mayor Mitch Landrieu
City of New Orleans, LA

Mayor Bill de Blasio
New York City, NY

Mayor Smith Joseph
City of North Miami, FL

Mayor Libby Schaaf
City of Oakland, CA

Mayor Buddy Dyer
City of Orlando, FL

Mayor Greg Scharff
City of Palo Alto, CA

Mayor Jack Thomas
Park City, UT

Mayor Jim Kenney
City of Philadelphia, PA

Mayor Greg Stanton
City of Phoenix, AZ

Mayor William Peduto
City of Pittsburgh, PA

Mayor Ted Wheeler
City of Portland, OR

Mayor Liz Lempert
City of Princeton, NJ

Mayor Jorge O Elorza
City of Providence, RI

Mayor Hillary Schieve
City of Reno, NV

Mayor Jake Mackenzie
City of Rohnert Park, CA

Mayor Darrell Steinberg
City of Sacramento, CA

Mayor Alan Galbraith
City of Saint Helena, CA

Mayor Christopher Coleman
City of Saint Paul, MN

Mayor Jackie Biskupski
Salt Lake City, UT

Mayor Ivy Taylor
City of San Antonio, TX

Mayor Ed Lee
City of San Francisco, CA

Mayor Sam Liccardo
City of San Jose, CA

Mayor Pauline Russo Cutter
City of San Leandro, CA

Mayor Helene Schneider
City of Santa Barbara, CA

Mayor Javier M Gonzales
City of Santa Fe, NM

Mayor Ted Winterer
City of Santa Monica, CA

Mayor Ed Murray
City of Seattle, WA

Mayor Scott A Saunders
City of Smithville, TX

Mayor Matt Larson
City of Snoqualmie, WA

Mayor Jeffrey Z Slavin
City of Somerset, MD

Mayor Joe Curtatone
City of Somerville, MA

Mayor Rick Kriseman
City of St Petersburg, FL

Mayor Michael Tubbs
City of Stockton, CA

Mayor Glenn Hendricks
City of Sunnyvale, CA

Mayor Stephanie A Miner
City of Syracuse, NY

Mayor Marilyn Strickland
City of Tacoma, WA

Mayor Andrew Gillum
City of Tallahassee, FL

Mayor Jonathan Rothschild
City of Tucson, AZ

Mayor Allan Ekberg
City of Tukwila, WA

Mayor Muriel Bowser
City of Washington, D.C.

Mayor Edward O'Brien
City of West Haven, CT

Mayor Jeri Muoio
City of West Palm Beach, FL

Mayor Christopher Cabaldon
City of West Sacramento, CA

Mayor Allen Joines
City of Winston Salem, NC

Trakdown

He can try, but he's already shown himself to be a paper tiger in that regard. He threatened CA several times to cut federal ties over sanctuary cities, and they just told him to go fuck himself.

Man am I glad I moved to this state.

Although props to fucking somebody from my home state (AZ) stepping up.

Here's a list of every mayor/city that has pledged to combat climate change (so far), per the "Climate Mayors" website. You can probably expect most, if not all of them, to join the Climate Alliance:

Wow. Surprised the Mayor of Knoxville is on there, but not Nashville. She's a Dem as well, and pretty left-leaning from what I understand. Might still get added to the list eventually.

Great to see my city on there! But I would be shocked if it was not considering it's Eugene Oregon. A city that bans any building higher than an average Oregon tree lol. Literally.

CTRL+F: Florida.......

SMH

Edit: Some cities are going with it which makes me happy. Would love to see the governor go with it aswell

What do you suppose the carbon footprint of NY and LA traffic is?

Los-Angeles-map-600x407.png

Not sure when the data for this map was recorded, though.

Beartruck

Rauner is a pure shitbag, so no chance of Illinois joining til he gets voted out in 2018. Good to see Rahm's on board with it though, as Chicago is most of the state's population anyways (Chicago metro pop is 9.5 million, State's total pop is 12.5).

It's a shame Governor Wolf is so hamstrung by the PA state legislature. While I think he should show his support, it could lead to his political downfall, and he's about the only check against conservative power in PA. At this point it's probably better for liberals that he doesn't.

The Llama

It's a shame Governor Wolf is so hamstrung by the PA state legislature. While I think he should show his support, it could lead to his political downfall, and he's about the only check against conservative power in PA. At this point it's probably better for liberals that he doesn't.
Yeah, 100% with you on this. He faces a tough reelection fight that he frankly needs to win or conservatives will completely own the state government (Well except for our state supreme court which is like 5-1 Democrat lol). Let him win reelection then go as progressive as he can.

A chill in my spine just jetted me into standing straight up. Is this...patriotism?

Hope the list gets bigger. Glad to see Milwaukee in there

Gallbaro

Banned
What do you suppose the carbon footprint of NY and LA traffic is?

Los-Angeles-map-600x407.png

Not sure when the data for this map was recorded, though.

Less than 20% of NYC's emissions comes from transportation. Remember most of us do not own cars and rely on Mr. Cuomo's shitty subway. I remember 80% of NYC's emissions actually comes from supporting buildings. I also remember NYer's are something like 50% more efficient than LA residents, per person.

I also remember coming into LA from Bakersfield and seeing how disgusting LA is from hours out.

Vegas isn't part of this? Weird, we're part of the Global Covenant of Mayors for climate and energy, the mayor has spoken openly about Climate Change and the city is green now.

Christ, had no idea things were so dire in PA. It's basically becoming a full red state at this pace, sounds like.

Game-Biz

Not surprised that Bakersfield, CA is NOT on the list. And yet, Fresno is. Stay losing Bako. My poor, poor hometown...

PsychBat!

Banned
CTRL+F Milpitas...

Anyone who's lived in the South Bay long enough knows that Milpitas has a huge odor problem coming from a landfill.

Not to mention a giant contaminated salt marsh that surprisingly has life.

cdyhybrid

I wouldn't freak out if someone's not on the list yet. The Paris announcement was only a few hours ago.

I'm sure we'll see the list grow a good bit in the coming days/weeks.

Less than 20% of NYC's emissions comes from transportation. Remember most of us do not own cars and rely on Mr. Cuomo's shitty subway. I remember 80% of NYC's emissions actually comes from supporting buildings. I also remember NYer's are something like 50% more efficient than LA residents, per person.

I also remember coming into LA from Bakersfield and seeing how disgusting LA is from hours out.

80 percent comes from buildings?! Shit, guess that does confirm that green buildings are just as essential as alternative transportation, at least for me.

Since I don't have any studies at hand, is there a consensus about how large the carbon footprint of NYC is?

Christ, had no idea things were so dire in PA. It's basically becoming a full red state at this pace, sounds like.

PA is a true swing state in many regards, but it's gerrymandered in such a way that it's a massive uphill climb to get a Democrat majority in state Congress. In terms of Senate, governor and presidential elections it's largely about turnout.

Beautiful. It's the big urban centers that will be paving the way to a more brighter future. Those who support the cause which live in the rural areas, continue the struggle against the Trumpkins out there in rural America.

The Llama

PA is a true swing state in many regards, but it's gerrymandered in such a way that it's a massive uphill climb to get a Democrat majority in state Congress. In terms of Senate, governor and presidential elections it's largely about turnout.
Our legislature is a joke, but I think every official elected statewide is a Democrat except Toomey lol.

Those who support the cause which live in the rural areas, continue the struggle against the Trumpkins out there in rural America.

We are like the weary swordsman who knows what he fights for, but is so wounded and tired, that only instinct keeps up actually going.

Gallbaro

Banned

kess

Watch Gorsuch vote against an interstate alliance as being against the commerce clause or something when the lawsuits start coming.

marrec

Banned

We'll have a Dem Gov for awhile, and Pitt/Philly are both strong democratic bases. The rest of the state has been gerrymandered to hell though so the legislature is lost for awhile.

Edit:

Peduto's response to Trump was fire and I'm so glad this dude is running my town.

IIRC that's pretty much standard in any city. Maybe not 80% but it's definitely one of the biggest factors.

I've been exposed to so much "transportation and sprawl is responsible for all of over climate issues" books/articles/lectures/discussions with peers, I didn't even realize this was true.

EDIT: Well according to the article Gallbaro sent me, it says the following:

Using dozens of variables, researchers found that greenhouse-gas emissions — largely from cars, trucks and other vehicles — in the suburbs account for about 50 percent of all household emissions in the nation, even though less than 50 percent of the population lives in these areas.

Top Bottom