• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muslim girls racially harassed and fat shamed by a racist patron in restaurant (vid)

Here's the link to the video

Muslim girls harassed at Chicago-area Mexican restaurant: ‘If you don’t like this country, leave’
Sawin Osman, a high school student who was born and raised in Chicago, told Yahoo News that she and her friends were harassed Monday night while eating at a Mexican restaurant in Hickory Hills, Ill. They were at Pepe’s restaurant on Monday night for Iftar, the evening meal after their Ramadan fast.

Another customer, an unidentified middle-aged man, noticed the five girls’ religious headscarves and made a rude comment alluding to one friend’s weight and to their religion, according to 17-year-old Osman.

One of the girls used her smartphone to shoot video of the encounter, and Yahoo News spotted it on social media. Osman agreed to be identified in order to speak out against the inflammatory comments.

“We were walking past him on our way out of the restaurant. He yelled, ‘That girl could break a camel’s back,’” Osman recalled. “We stopped and said, ‘Excuse me, sir, what did you just say?’”

“You can go and beat it. If you don’t like this country, leave,” the man said.

“It’s our home too. What do you mean leave?” Osman said.

According to Osman, the man said that the entire exchange wasn’t a big deal. “I just said she’s a big one. What’s the problem? Yeah, anything else?”

Another friend told the man that he’s “disgusting,” prompting him to get out of his seat.

“It looked like he was going to get physical, so we all started to walk,” she said.

As the girls were leaving, he screamed, “F***ing goddamn, camel-jacking mother f***ing c***s.”

A Pepe’s employee at the location told Yahoo News that they have been told about the video, which does not depict staff doing anything amiss. (Neither a location manager nor a company rep was immediately available for comment.)

Osman’s mother, Catherine Bronson, is a professor of Islamic Studies at the University of Notre Dame and her stepfather, Sean Anthony, is a professor of Islamic Studies at Ohio State University. They have a bi-religious family.

“We live in a very charged climate. I think the furor at the presidential level has sort of exacerbated this feeling and given a platform for those who might not have spoken out so aggressively,” Bronson said.

Osman agrees. She said this incident shows that anti-Muslim bigotry is a huge problem in the U.S.

“It’s honestly very terrible and disgusting, especially the comment, ‘If you don’t like it, then just leave.’ I mean I was born here. I was raised here. Leave to where?” she asked.

She said all of her friends at the restaurant that day are from Chicago.

“Just because we have the headscarf on doesn’t mean we’re not from here,” Osman said.

Wulfric

What's with old middle aged men singling out young Muslim women and girls? That's fucking low.

It's nearly every week now.

mozfan12

Banned
Will the orange racist cunt comment on this event? Of course not because it doesn't fit his narrative that all undocumented immigrants or Muslims are criminals. A big fuck you to the orange one.

omg.

Part of is social media + smartphones enabling people to easily share this kind of shit when it happens, plus there's a nice helping of Trump's rhetoric encouraging these assholes. Fuck me, man. I don't even know what to do anymore.

Will the orange racist cunt comment on this event? Of course not because it doesn't fit his narrative that all undocumented immigrants or Muslims are criminals. A big fuck you to the orange one.
You know the answer. He didn't comment on Portland (the POTUS twitter doesn't count), didn't comment on Maryland, didn't say anything when 5 people in my city were shot to death at their workplace. If it doesn't fit the narrative it may as well not have happened.

Van Bur3n

The crusty old shit will kick the bucket one of these days. Many like him as well. America will be better for it when that day comes.

"If you don't like this country, leave" is one of the stupidest things you can possibly say. A country isn't like some fast food restaurant that you think has overpriced burgers.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with trump and his cabinet of racists and nazis in the White House.

Also, a racist at a restaurant named Pepe's? Coincidence?...

squidward-pepe-women-s-t-shirt.jpg

The whole thing makes me sad. 😔

Dick holes think with Trump in charge they don't have to be secretly racist anymore.

I really don't think this is usually the case. Are we to assume then if Hillary Clinton was elected this guy would keep his mouth shut? Seems kind of silly. I feel like a lot more than one man getting elected contributes to this kind of behavior. This dude's like 70 and Trump has been in office for less than 1 percent of that.

Trumps vision for America. He must be proud.

A white man expressing his inherent dominance over not just a brown invader but a woman to boot? Of course he's proud. Racist toad and his lackeys like Miller and Bannon are probably proud of that Portland killer too and say nothing because they know acknowledging pride for such sick unfiltered hatred is not just taboo but reveals them as the monsters they know themselves to be which is bad for their bottom line

Why can't people just mind their own business?

In their warped minds, the existence and lives of people that aren't themselves are their business. They feel god, genetics and/or the powers that be have entitled them to control over those they've always despised.

This certainly is not new for us. Way before Trump and his kind came to power, 2011, me and my family were riding a taxi. The taxi driver launched into a rant about Muslims, telling us: "To leave the country and go back home." My mother could not contain her anger and sadness, she bursted and basically went into a panic attack. Vermont we thought was liberal, but sadly people of his ilk still make it a point to harass us, especially women.

Oh surprise surprise its an old white dude and the girl doesn't even look remotely overweight (not that that would make it any better if she was). Stereotypes seems to exist i guess.

How do you make the jump from:

[calls person fat]
[person says 'excuse me]
['if you don't like this country, get out!']

Pretty sure its you she doesn't like, mate, not the country.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Just chiming in, Pepe's food is the shit. That said, people are now out of the shadows. Cell phones help though.

Yeoman

I'd wager that a large portion of the US population hold similar sentiments to this.
They see Muslims and other minorities as "temporary" citizens. They aren't real Americans to them.

Ethranes

I'm glad all these old racist fucks only have a few years left in them.

I never like this comment, and it's said a lot. As if only old people are racist, and when they die the problem disappears with them. It's not the case, fighting against racism is something that all ages should do, not just dismiss because one day all racists will be dead.

It seems more of an insult to the elderly, because as well as the racist old fucks, the non racist old fucks also only have a few years left in them.

LiK

I'm glad they stood up to that prick. If he got physical, it would be an easy hate crime charge.

Also, that dude looked more elderly than middle-aged, tbh

cromofo

"That girl could break a camel’s back"

I feel horrible for laughing at this line.

The bigoted asswipe will be gone soon enough.

Top Bottom