• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any childfree people here?

fireflame

I have decided to stay childfree for my whole life for different reasons, including a lack of self confidence, but also lack faith in mankind, as well as other reasons.

I was wondering if there were gaffers here who openly planned to stay childfree. I will behonest my reasons are not selfess and i also enjoy my free time.

Have you decided to stay childfree and how did people around you react? Was it hard for you to find a partner sharing same convictions?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I have plenty of friends who plan on not having children. They have all found partners that feel the same way.

My wife and I currently do not have children and is something we have discussed for our future. Right now we can easily go either way.

Ferrio

Banned
37 with a fiance and no kids nor any plans to. I was poor my whole life up until about my late 20s, I'm not going back to that.

I was child free until last month.

I miss it sometimes, especially since my baby has colic and my wife and I are at the end of our ropes.

Zaru

I'll never have a child because I really don't think I'll like prison.

q3EkUb5.jpg

Explain further

WolfeTone

I'm 28. I'd consider myself childfree. My reasons are mostly selfish. I don't want to have to dedicate 20-something years of my life to caring for another human being. I already have a full-time job, I want to enjoy life outside of my 9-5, not have to worry about homework and discipline and making sure they eat right.

I've no problem with children, I love my younger cousins and nieces/nephews. I have great respect for parents who can dedicate the time and love to raise their kids to be wonderful people. Like anyone else, I get frustrated when I see instances of bad parenting out in the world, but these haven't influenced my decision.

Do I worry about being alone in my old age? Sure. But having kids for that reason alone is even more selfish than I already consider myself to be.

I consider myself to be on the fence for various reasons however, if I do have a kid it'll definitely be through adoption.

There's so many needy children out there due to all sorts of shitty circumstances. Procreating a brand new human is one of the most selfish acts a human can do.

Fuchsdh

The "childfree" label comes off as a bit weird, as do some of the moral and philosophical arguments involved (the RationalWiki page is, as can be expected, tripe.)

But if that's what you want, go for it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Almost became a father last year. It didn't happen. Miscarriage. It made me sad. I didn't think it would, but it did.

I, uh, kinda don't think I'll ever be a parent now.

q3EkUb5.jpg

Explain further

Responsibility is like being chained!!! Oh the terror.

But for real the costs are enormous. Daycare alone is a fucking mortgage payment. I'm paying cracy cash for my kid. Wouldn't have it any other way but not everyone bout dat life.

If you value your cash don't have kids. If you want a kid and are willing to make that sacrifice go ahead and have kids.

Just don't nut n shrug. Plan.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org

I dislike children(except for my siblings/nieces/nephews) and see them only as something that would get in the way of my happiness.

Yea I'm selfish as fuck, so fucking what? I don't want the stress or responsibility of raising children. Being there to help raise my youngers siblings impressed that upon me very well. Not to mention I'm barely getting by on my own as it is and I like what little money I have.

30 btw

WolfeTone

The "childfree" label comes off as a bit weird, as do some of the moral and philosophical arguments involved (the RationalWiki page is, as can be expected, tripe.)

But if that's what you want, go for it.

I feel the same. It doesn't really need a label. Giving it a name like that makes it sound like a movement.

I say this as someone who doesn't want kids.

Yup, I’m 28 and I don’t plan on it in the foreseeable future. It’s honestly the last thing I want. It would fuck up my career plans, less money for me, and just some responsible I don’t want.

33 married with two dogs [wife just turned 30 last week], we're definitely going to have kids.

lots of our friends are burner-hippie types in their 40s - 60s and they really make us sad / want to have kids ASAP.

plus i know i'll just get fucking bored eventually not having a family, and i want someone to call when i'm boring and old.

family is the worst, but family is also the best.

plus we're good people, we need to have children to counter-act all the fucking rednecks pumping out babies in their 20s like it's the 1950s.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Never wanted to in my teens to early 20's.. as I got closer to 30 I had 2.. well the wife did...

..and it's great. It's challenging at times, but the rewards are great. I know everyone's different, but it completed me as a person.

Free time is overrated.

Also, you don't have to like kids.. most parents I know don't really like other peoples kids outside of a few. It's 100% different when they are your own.

Also, the next person who says their dog is their kid is gonna get an ear full... not even close to the same thing.

why start the thread off like this

I just happened to be the first reply, them's the breaks.

q3EkUb5.jpg

Explain further

I'm a mild mannered individual. Nothing generally gets to me. Like for real, I think most people generally overreact about everything (and then make threads about it on GAF).

But it takes 5 seconds for a screaming kid in a grocery store to make me internally wish death upon everyone involved. (Kid for existing, parent for bringing the child to the store and allowing it to make that infernal noise.)

So just extrapolating and following the chain of events to a not improbable conclusion. I wouldn't like prison.

Phu

Banned
I don't want to create a new life and care for it when I don't feel like I've been able to fully live my own. I want to do more shit, see more things, learn more stuff.

Maybe someday, but right now kids aren't even on my radar.

Apathy

Yup, 32 years old, I have been saying I don't want kids since I was in my early teens. Also been getting the condescending "oh one day you will" bullshit from parents I meet even as recently as yesterday. Lucky for me my parents realized I wasn't kidding in my mid 20's and stopped thinking they would be grandparents.

Never wanted to in my teens to early 20's.. as I got closer to 30 I had 2.. well the wife did...

..and it's great. It's challenging at times, but the rewards are great. I know everyone's different, but it completed me as a person.

Free time is overrated.

yup yup yup.

i was vehemently anti-children.... until i started my first business [and second business], and bought a house, and got married.

now i'm like "i'd love a family, and i just get bored in my free time [unless i do drugs or drink too much, etc".

Also been getting the condescending "oh one day you will" bullshit from parents I meet even as recently as yesterday.

i know it feels that way, but trust me it's not necessarily intentionally condescending when people say this.

as i just stated above, i was VEHEMENTLY anti-children, until the other pieces fell into place that would make it necessary for me to even CONSIDER wanting them.

so yeah, you still never know is all i'll say, but i do feel you as far as how that shit sounds when people say it [and they always do].

Famassu

I don't think I want to have a child that shares my genes. Just don't like the direction humankind & the future of Earth is going, see no reason to bring another human being into such uncertain future. If I ever decide to raise a kid, I'll adopt. Rather at least give some kid in need a (possibly) slightly better life vs. bring more people on this already vastly overpopulated world.

Shoeless

We're a Gen X couple and we're child free. Part of it was that we're both creatives that work from client to client, so our income was never stable and, we weren't confident about locking ourselves down financially with a child that had to have some kind of minimum financial safety net in order to guarantee a decent upbringing.

Beyond that however, we also didn't have much confidence in our abilities as parents, and since we both came from not great family situations, we always debated what it would be like to subject our kid to the kind of childhood that had made us miserable and thought to ourselves, "Why do that? What makes us think we're going to be better at not messing this kid up than our parents were?"

And of course, with the way the world has been going politically, especially in the last year or so, since we're visible minorities, that was another argument against having a kid and sending him or her to a school where we'd have no control over how racist the other kids might be.

It just seemed like with the world heading into a population crisis anyway, there was no good reason--aside from want to carry on a family name--to actually add another kid to the planet and then have that person grow up angry, miserable and mad at the world for creating a mess that the future generations would have to clean up.

rtcn63

I can't even take care of myself taking care of an actual human being that might die at any moment nope no thanks I go into panic mode when my PC makes weird noises

Nekofrog

Banned
It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a woman's separation, this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation and with proper parentation can end discrimination.

Free time is overrated.

Also, you don't have to like kids.. most parents I know don't really like other peoples kids outside of a few. It's 100% different when they are your own.

Also, the next person who says their dog is their kid is gonna get an ear full... not even close to the same thing.

Preach.

dreams

I'm 29 and married and we don't plan on having kids. For me it's mostly selfish reasons, and the fact that I really don't even like babysitting or watching other people's kids, so I definitely don't want to have to be permanently responsible for one. I'm not sure the reasoning for him, but I'm assuming it's similar.

It's really annoying for me as an almost 30 year old woman, because I get the "THE CLOCK IS TICKING!!!!" comments all the time and people FREAK OUT when I say I don't want kids. The planet is overpopulated as it is who cares man.

Edit: lol... the number of salty comments from people with kids in here.

Don't have any children, and would probably be fine if I never did. However I dated this girl who had a kid that I got to know over a year or so, and I really liked her so I'm not opposed to having one of my own.

Linkura

Husband and I have been married 7 years, no plans for kids. We were thinking of adopting/fostering (as we don't particularly feel a need to add to the growing population of the world, but there's plenty of kids who are already alive but need good homes), but even that has gone down the tubes due to my health problems. So we're just going to be dinks for the rest of our lives.

latest

VERY EXPENSIVE!

riotous

Banned
I actually like kids; get along with them well, my nieces love me, friends kids, etc.

But I had a rough childhood; and I've had a fear my entire life that I would repeat many of the same mistakes. So I never had kids and don't plan to; I feel like I've worked through most of the issues my childhood created, and I never say "never", but for now it's a no. My wife is only 26 so there's still time for a change of heart but she's just like me and doesn't want to have kids for the same reason.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
yup yup yup.

i was vehemently anti-children.... until i started my first business [and second business], and bought a house, and got married.

now i'm like "i'd love a family, and i just get bored in my free time [unless i do drugs or drink too much, etc".

Again, free time is overrated. I mean, I miss travelling more, but fuck it I'll have time for that when the kids are out of the house... and honestly I don't need to play more videogames or fucking with stupid hobbies... none of it can match the feeling of fulfillment that a child can bring (or the disappointment... ha)... but taken as a whole I couldn't imagine not having them anymore.

I don't think I want to have a child that shares my genes. Just don't like the direction humankind & the future of Earth is going, see no reason to bring another human being into such uncertain future. If I ever decide to raise a kid, I'll adopt. Rather at least give some kid in need a (possibly) slightly better life vs. bring more people on this already vastly overpopulated world.

this is problematic / faulty logic.

every western civilized nation is facing severely problematic scenarios in the next century thanks to alarmingly fast population shrinkage.

ie - western countries aren't having enough kids

it's developing nations whose populations will continue to grow exponentially and destroy the planet.

not that that necessarily changes anything for you, but i always feel the need to pipe up when people say these things because we are literally not having enough babies in the western developed world.

Again, free time is overrated. I mean, I miss travelling more, but fuck it I'll have time for that when the kids are out of the house... and honestly I don't need to play more videogames or fucking with stupid hobbies... none of it can match the feeling of fulfillment that a child can bring (or the disappointment... ha)... but taken as a whole I couldn't imagine not having them anymore.

yeah, i like hearing things like this.

i look forward to being in the same position, i'm looking forward to starting my family soon[ish].

Maybe if I leave the country, I'm not having a kid in this country and then watch him catch a bullet at 13 for looking at a cop with a "dehumanizing glare".

Totally understand not liking kids (not a fan myself), but the difference is you'll like your kids. A lot. Really. Ain't no problem being child free, though. Do what you like~

34 and married to a 38 year old. No plans on ever having children. I have found that the older I get the less patience I have for super young kids so it's for the best.

Uh. I have no immediate plans for children but I think it a bit rash and silly to just decide to remain child free your entire life. My plans are to eventually settle with somebody and possibly adopt if they are cool with that.

Top Bottom