• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any childfree people here?

Mookee

No kids, not married, in a LTR

Had a vasectomy last month

Kids are fine, just not for me. Love my life and if I had a huge change in thinking I’d adopt.

Social

Me and my wife do not want kids at all. It's great when you both agree as much about something like we do about that. We settled on 4 amazing cats instead and care for them immensely. I don't have the patience at all for kids, let aside the financial torture and sleep deprivation.

Opto

Banned
The very notion of creating a child repulses me. But when I retire I'll probably own a dozen dogs and cats

29 and still don't want it, really doubt it will change!

Playing and looking sometime after the daughter of my best friend is already enough, haha

mike6467

i know it feels that way, but trust me it's not necessarily intentionally condescending when people say this.

as i just stated above, i was VEHEMENTLY anti-children, until the other pieces fell into place that would make it necessary for me to even CONSIDER wanting them.

so yeah, you still never know is all i'll say, but i do feel you as far as how that shit sounds when people say it [and they always do].

No, nobody ever knows. What these people do is incredibly callous, and in my experience, it is said in a genuinely condescending way. It's a complete disregard for someone's life choices that only seems to be socially acceptable when it comes to this particular choice. Intentions do not matter here, your experiences do not matter. People push gay conversion therapy because they legitimately believe heterosexuality is superior because of their experience.

There are plenty of people out there who shouldn't have kids. Just flat out, no way, bad idea. They might know it, or they might not. These are otherwise well-adjusted, financially stable, loving, mature adult couples. Maybe for some people it's the sparkly magic pixie dust that ties their life together and gives them true purpose, and maybe for others it's the catalyst that sends things off the track and ruins the lives of both the parents and the child.

My takeaway point is that parenthood should absolutely be respected and admired for those who choose it. It should not however, be deified, pushed as a fix-it button for life, or a subject which anyone, anywhere is ever patronized for.

Edit: For the record the hostility here is not directed at you, just the idea being seen as ok. It can do actual damage.

Just turned 34 and I'm planning to be child free for the rest of my life. While I wouldn't rule out getting involved with a woman who already has a child. I sure as hell don't want to bring more life into this world.

yrba1

But man, how can some of you vehemently hate children? That's the only thing I find weird.

Imagine yourself in a restaurant or movie theater where the kid is crying endlessly, or the way some kids throw tantrums for not getting what they want. Stunts like that makes me applaud establishments that have the No Kids Allowed rule.

Nepenthe

27 and childfree.

I know I don't have the patience for being a parent, and I don't want to go through the process of childbirth.

Dogs are my limit.

From my earliest memory I never wanted a kid. I remember the dumb stuff I did when I was young like poke holes in my dads speakers and I didn't want a kid ruining my shit. I was certain that was the only possibility. I dated girls but I held fast seeking materialism instead. I had this nuts summer when I was 27 or 28. It was like serious rapper level shit. I just got left by girl friend due to that issue had some money and really hit a weird sort of rock bottom where you wyle the fuck out. I'm honestly surprised I didn't die or end up in jail. I'm not really religious but if there is a god maybe he had a plan for me because I calmed down cleaned up and met someone. She didn't change my views on kids necessarily but I slowly started feeling that if I was ever going to have a kid it would be with her. Lots of other shit happened. Marriage and shit. The buster showed up 11 months ago and I couldn't be happier. It's difficult frequently but it's worth it all the time. It's weird how shit happens sometimes.

Imagine yourself in a restaurant or movie theater where the kid is crying endlessly, or the way some kids throw tantrums for not getting what they want. Stunts like that makes me applaud establishments that have the No Kids Allowed rule.

Imagine that at one time you were one of those kids!

Ahhh

Shamalan(sp?) twist!

Edit: sorry dp

The way I see it is I can barely afford to take care of myself I don't think it would be responsible for me to bring a kid into this world. But its not like I hate kids or anything, actually I think they're awesome. like I love my nieces. Its just not a smart idea based on my current situation.

Ron Mexico

No, nobody ever knows. What these people do is incredibly callous, and in my experience, it is said in a genuinely condescending way. It's a complete disregard for someone's life choices that only seems to be socially acceptable when it comes to this particular choice. Intentions do not matter here, you're experiences do not matter. People push gay conversion therapy because they legitimately believe heterosexuality is superior because of their experience.

There are plenty of people out there who shouldn't have kids. Just flat out, no way, bad idea. They might know it, or they might not. These are otherwise well-adjusted, financially stable, loving, mature adult couples. Maybe for some people it's the sparkly magic pixie dust that ties their life together and gives them true purpose, and maybe for others it's the catalyst that sends things off the track and ruins the lives of both the parents and the child.

My takeaway point is that parenthood should absolutely be respected and admired for those who choose it. It should not however, be deified, pushed as a fix-it button for life, or a subject which anyone, anywhere is ever patronized for.

Edit: For the record the hostility here is not directed at you, just the idea being seen as ok. It can do actual damage.

Incredibly well said.

KillLaCam

Banned
I don't want to ever have kids. It goes completely against alot of my goals. Waaaay harder to travel the world most of the year with kids

bigjig

Oh boo fucking hoo lol

Az

I've heard about the childfree subreddit. However, I don't understand the point. I mean, you dont want children and that's perfectly fine. What do they have to talk about?

Teggy

I do feel a little bad for my parents. My brother has 3 children, but due to a story too long to tell, we don't speak to him anymore and my parents haven't seen the kids in many years. I know my mom is sad about it, but that's not a reason to bring a child into the world.

Sulik2

Zero plans to have kids here. I can't think off anything crueler then having a kid when civilization is primed to collapse in their lifetimes.

Mimir

I've never really wanted kids, and my wife really dislikes children, so it works out well for us. Many of our friends are childfree as well, and even the ones that want children are still supportive of us. My parents are fine with it, I think my wife's parents aren't as happy about it, but she's not all that close to them anyway.

I'm 38 and just had my first kid 2 weeks ago.

It's pretty incredible, man. It's not as expensive as I thought it would be, but it does take up all of your free time and emotional energy. I keep telling my wife - one and done, one and done.

Vengal

For most my life I never wanted anything to do with kids. I have several serious chronic illnesses and my mom was an at home babysitter (largely to help keep my alive when I was younger) so I ended up being around kids until i left for college.

In college I got a chance to sequence some of my dna and learn about genetic probabilities and habitability of certain things. Which only really solidified my intentions not to have kids. Then after years with the lady that would be my future wife I was worn down. I could easily have seen a situation where if I was with someone else who wasn't as invested in having my kid I would have either ended up adopting or not having kids at all.

Kids change everything and you're put into the position that your actions before and after they're born have tremendous impact on their lives. Thats alot of responsibility that I think most people would rather not deal with.

Google

This thread feels super weird.

So many of you look at children as some sort of negative aspect to one's life.

I respect your opinions but it makes me feel really sad for you.

muu

I've heard about the childfree subreddit. However, I don't understand the point. I mean, you dont want children and that's perfectly fine. What do they have to talk about?

Frustration over societal pressure? First it's when are you getting a girlfriend/boyfriend, then when are you getting married, when are you having a kid, oh you have to have siblings, etc etc.

Google

Frustration over societal pressure? First it's when are you getting a girlfriend/boyfriend, then when are you getting married, when are you having a kid, oh you have to have siblings, etc etc.

Well yeah...welcome to a well defined social structure. It has positives and negatives.

Top Bottom