• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Terror group firebombs restaurant, threatens female suicide attack...

A separatist group calling for Cornish independence has claimed responsibility for firebombing down a restaurant and claims it has its first member willing to die for the cause.

The Cornish Republican Army, previously known as the Cornish National Liberation Army, said it set Rick Stein Porthleven on fire on June 12, in anger about the celebrity chef having such a presence in the area.

In a blog post, which has since been removed, they said: ‘Our organisation has grown and we now have one member who is prepared to pay the ultimate price in the battle for Kernow.

‘She is prepared to sacrifice herself although we shall not ask for this lightly – only as a last measure.
’

The statement said their next move would be to attack second homes owned by affluent people from the rest of the UK – a source of resentment as it creates ‘ghost towns’ and local people may not be able to get on the property ladder.

Rick Stein has opened several restaurants in Cornwall, leading to Padstow being nicknamed ‘Padstein’. His Porthlevan restaurant was badly damaged by fire but survived the blaze which started where gas cylinders were being stored.

In their statement, the CRA claimed to have 30 volunteers in Active Service Units.

They are tasked with things like bringing down ‘red blood flags’ (the English flag of St George Cross).

Another form of ‘direct action’ popular with separatists is blacking out the Tudor Rose signifying English Heritage on road signs with spray paint.

The group said they weren’t responsible for it, but supported it

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/09/corni...taurant-and-has-first-suicide-bomber-6765364/

So this happened...

When you lead a country by its asshole expect a lot of shit to come out.

Cornwall does have a few problems, it's a heavily gentrified area due to boomers using it as a holiday destination especially in places like Padstow.

Plus the other effects rural towns are finding everywhere around the globe in developed economies. All the prosperity is being vacuumed up by the cities.

Betty

Banned
Christ, what the hell? Stay safe UK GAF

lol, it's the biggest nothing i've ever heard.

Same group makes lots of threats and never carries them out.

Desperately feels like they want attention and won't follow through.

The proper authorities will treat it seriously though.

Orbis

I mean I was aware of a movement for Cornish independence (I say movement, more an idea) but this is crazy. I suspect this 'group' will be more talk than action and are probably so few in numbers they can't possibly last long though.

Symphonia

Banned
KfbMMb.gif

Jesus wept. Stay safe Pasty GAF.

It's only a matter of time before the Free Wales Army starts bombing English holiday homes again, I tell you. It's a slippery slope.

RinsFury

Whether people are taking this seriously or not, they all need to be sentenced with terror charges and imprisoned. It would be foolish to take this lightly.

Dougald

Just as a precaution we should immediately concede to their demands and grant full independence, then they can be without UK funding as well as EU

Madchad

Starting to think we need a good old civil war so everyone can get it out of their system.

Then everyone can be buds again for a few hundred years or so.

Verelios

The police will never catch them because they are cunning enough to only wear two layers of clothing at a time.

I doubt UK-GAF is THAT worried about this

lol, it's the biggest nothing i've ever heard.

Same group makes lots of threats and never carries them out.

Desperately feels like they want attention and won't follow through.

The proper authorities will treat it seriously though.
Oh, so this is a non-issue? Odd, but good if so.

H1PSTER

That Celtic Cross flag, sure is a symbol of the Celts (and I'm proud to be one) but it's also a symbol adopted by the neo-nazis so why the feck are they using it.

Too much scrumpy I suspect, absolute morons.

Also their lot voted for Brexit, despite getting HUGE amounts of funding for the EU... Don't like it, don't vote for it you idiots!

Alienous

Our organisation has grown and we now have one member who is prepared to pay the ultimate price in the battle for Kernow.

‘She is prepared to sacrifice herself although we shall not ask for this lightly – only as a last measure.’

I shouldn't laugh but the thought of them promoting the one person willing to give their life for this 'cause' is funny to me . So everyone else is only sort of invested? 'I can do Saturday, but I'm doing overtime on Sunday' invested?

I don't understand why people find this so funny,
Separatist are the biggest terrorist actor in Europe by number of action.
They don't have soviet support anymore but still they are as much as terrorist as Neo-Nazi organisation or ISIS sympathiser.

I just can't take this sentiment seriously, which is somewhat historocally naieve of me. I just have had no contact with any of this sentiment, and I have spent yonks in Cornwall.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
They don't have soviet support anymore but still they are as much as terrorist as Neo-Nazi organisation or ISIS sympathiser.

The Cornish Independence movement is almost entirely populated by the elderly and the dementia-raddled. The worst that will happen is a prominent politician might have an overly warm pasty lobbed at them.

H1PSTER

This. £2 for a sausage bean and cheese melt and a hot drink? Who needs real food anyway.

I'd rather have O2 £1 Monday lunch... You get about £7 worth of food for £1!

And there's a place near where I live that don't even want the code, they just look at the app so I can go to another place and get another £1 deal! It's great!

Jezbollah

This is actually funnier than the CRA.

The Cornish Independence movement is almost entirely populated by the elderly and the dementia-raddled. The worst that will happen is a prominent politician might have an overly warm pasty lobbed at them.
We said the same for Bretagne movement in France.
People still died in the end ( a macdonald employee)

pswii60

That's crazy shit. I just can't believe these people, like there isn't enough terror in the world.

Padstein is fucking insane though. It's like he bought up the entire place, every time I go he owns another restaurant there or some other outfit. I knew it would cause a massive backlash at some point but nothing like this.

That's crazy shit. I just can't believe these people, like there isn't enough terror in the world.

Padstein is fucking insane though. It's like he bought up the entire place, every time I go he owns another restaurant there or some other outfit. I knew it would cause a massive backlash at some point but nothing like this.

It is the most obvious modern symptomn of an older issue: Anglo Saxon Norman Norse bastards repressing a native peoples. Just on a far smaller scale.

Sounds like they've convinced some misguided woman to prepare to blow herself up for, whatever the fuck this is. I don't see a lot of humor in that.

hodgy100

This isn't too surprising really.

Stein is absolutely hated by the local populace because he bought a bunch of businesses in the area. He basically has a monopoly on padstowe.

EGM1966

Hard to take seriously but at the same I'm thinking fuck off.

We're just watching ISIS getting mopped up and thinking yup just what we need: mad Cornish terrorists.

I actually live in the village that this is about.. and think this is a crock of shit. More likely some one walked home from the pub (one pub in particular as a tendency to have regular lock ins) and flicked a cigarette away, or it's just petty teenagers ( there have been a few petty arson callouts recently).

Pretty much forgot the 'CRA' even exist. They been quiet for years. Odd they would lay claim to something that happened a few weeks ago. They're very much seen as a what the fuck you on about group here, and the 'there literally dozens of us' gif pretty much applies here. Having said that, they...or the couple of people involved should be investigated, especially using language regarding suicide bombers.

As for Rick stein, there is generally no malice towards him. The village has turned it self from a working harbour to a foodie haven. We got some great places to eat here, Stein's doesn't hold much sway over any of them, it just brings more people into the village. People joke about him, a bit of banter, but most see the positive contribution he brings towards the county, and our village in particular. As long as we don't turn into a st ives or Padstow everything will be ok! People of padstow may feel different, but here it's a very much a hands off approach - his son does most of the business here.

Top Bottom