• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nidhogg 2 review thread

Jerry

Criticising the art is absolutely valid, they have definitely hamstrung themselves with it by alienating many potential buyers.

An evolution of the original pixel style with the overhauled gameplay of the sequel is the biggest, easiest home run imaginable, but they fucked up.

Criticising the art is absolutely valid, they have definitely hamstrung themselves with it by alienating many potential buyers.

An evolution of the original pixel style with the overhauled gameplay of the sequel is the biggest, easiest home run imaginable, but they fucked up.

It looks ten times better than the original. Look at the lush pixel art! Nidhogg 1 was eye cancer but many people ignored that because it was fun.

Jerry

It looks ten times better than the original. Look at the lush pixel art! Nidhogg 1 was eye cancer but many people ignored that because it was fun.

Sure, in terms of fidelity.

The art direction is 10x worse though, which is what I'm talking about.

SomTervo

Very nice reviews.

And if people want the elegant simplicity of the original (in feel and aesthetic) then they can go play the original. It's a timeless classic imo.

Loved the first. Will play the second but at <5 bucks price range, the art is too repulsive to me. Bold choice but too bold for me.

tanooki27

they've hamstrung nothing. they made a sequel with some cool art.

if you ask me, they have actually loosened themselves from the pixel chic hamstring with an earthier style. they went for cool, not hip. if you can dig

1upsuper

Picked it up but haven't played it yet. Couldn't care less one way or another how it looks from an aesthetic standpoint, but I do worry about how easily and quickly readable the character stances are. The art style is a bit messy. It's important to be able to read your opponent's stance instantly and I hope it's not too hard here.

Jerry

they've hamstrung nothing. they made a sequel with some cool art.

if you ask me, they have actually loosened themselves from the pixel chic hamstring with an earthier style. they went for cool, not hip. if you can dig

The amount of backlash they are getting says otherwise.

The style of the first game was pretty unique itself.

You say that as if it's true when it's "only" your opinion.

It's mine, and many many others opinion.

It's hard to tell though. Whether it's outweighed by people who may have dismissed the simple style of the original were it to have continued. People new to the game.

Either way the art style is divisive and I'm sure there would have been a solution closer to the middle that both would have liked.

sonto340

And that’s the dev’s intention. If you’re not on board with the art style then you don’t get to play a better version of nidhogg. It’s a pretty simple a to b to c

luulubuu

11-drake-hotline-bling.w710.h473.2x.jpg
2431316-ss_3c3598c94dd14500a757358ba53267371c82b859.1920x1080.jpg

Sheroking

Nidhogg was so niche, I don't think you get to qualify the entirety of it's fanbase as "many many" - let alone the segment that prefers the Atari 5200 aesthetic.

You can shoot yourself with a bow? lol

If the enemy has their sword in the right position the arrow gets deflected back at you. If you try to use mind games by shooting the arrow where their sword already is and you don't move. You look like an idiot who just shot themselves.

Since there's no OT I guess I'll ask here - does anyone on PS4 have an issue with online matches immediately ending upon starting due to desync?

So far literally every match I've been able to get into has ended in my "winning" due to the game desyncing right off the bat.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
You know, the game's backlash over the art may not be fair, may not be logical, and may not jive with your opinion.

But that doesn't mean you pretend it doesn't exist.

Might as well pretend the original Wind Waker backlash didn't exist. Now, if this art style wins out like WW did with animation, expressiveness, etc. Fine. Then, the backlash can be contextualized as wrong-headed and ill-informed after-the-fact, like WW's did.

But if not, then you're trying to account for taste here by weighing yours as more significant that the people saying "bleech!"

Jerry

Nidhogg was so niche, I don't think you get to qualify the entirety of it's fanbase as "many many" - let alone the segment that prefers the Atari 5200 aesthetic.

It sold 700k on steam alone, not counting sales on all other platforms. Hardly 'so niche'.

Pretty much every major gaming news outlet commented on the divisive art style and it blew up on twitter with the devs getting a lot of angry comments.

Im not saying they should have kept the old aesthetic, I'm saying I (as well as many many others) think it was a poor choice to go with what they did.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Revolting art style, were they purposefully trying to make it look awful?

1upsuper

Played through single player once. The gameplay is as good as ever. I like the weapon variations. The bow makes things interesting but I kinda hate using it. I quite like the backgrounds. The only really repulsive elements are the characters themselves. The running animations are terrible too, but that doesn't matter.

Me and a friend just got this. I had never played the first one but my friend had it on PS4 and he share played it with me. Had a blast and immediately bought the second one. Game is lots of fun.

Edit: No OT?

This game is a blast! Let's stop arguing about the art style and appreciate the quirky atmosphere, cool sounddesign and the little details in the animations. There are small imrpvements everywhere. <3

I've no problem with the new art style, the only thing that I dislike is that it completely changes the tone of the game. The first game looked austere and deliberate. This one looks like a brawl. I wonder if it will ultimately lead to players playing at a faster but sloppier pace.

sheaaaa

You know, the game's backlash over the art may not be fair, may not be logical, and may not jive with your opinion.

But that doesn't mean you pretend it doesn't exist.

Might as well pretend the original Wind Waker backlash didn't exist. Now, if this art style wins out like WW did with animation, expressiveness, etc. Fine. Then, the backlash can be contextualized as wrong-headed and ill-informed after-the-fact, like WW's did.

But if not, then you're trying to account for taste here by weighing yours as more significant that the people saying "bleech!"

nobody is saying the backlash doesn't exist tho. People are saying the backlash "may not be fair" and "may not be logical".

The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;246251602 said:
Either way the art style is divisive and I'm sure there would have been a solution closer to the middle that both would have liked.

I'm happy to see more games that do things that are this polarising though. Nidhogg 2's art style is genuinely interesting, which is more than you can say for most middle-of-the-line pixel art.

I've no problem with the new art style, the only thing that I dislike is that it completely changes the tone of the game. The first game looked austere and deliberate. This one looks like a brawl. I wonder if it will ultimately lead to players playing at a faster but sloppier pace.

It's the same as with the first one. At first you just go for it and after a while you get the hang of it and try to outsmart your foe. Gameplay certainly allows for that and many matches I've seen grew from chaos to deliberate action within a few minutes. :)

The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;246107242 said:
404 pages about its art style incoming.

Can't wait for breathless hot takes on how shit the art style is. Get over it. It's not shit. It's shit to you because you're not used to it and it came out of left field, and is a huge departure from the first game's style.

Jesus Christ imagine if Super Mario Bros 2 came out for the first time today.

Ironically you guys were the first ones to mention art style. Hot takes indeed.

And that's the dev's intention. If you're not on board with the art style then you don't get to play a better version of nidhogg. It's a pretty simple a to b to c

The dev's intention is to lose sales for no reason?

Eye cancer? The first one was timeless and classic. The new artstyle tho is pure garbage and makes me want to rip out my own eyes.

35736736922_6f4f436977_z.jpg

nidhogg-2.png

Too bad cause I like some of the gameplay changes, I won't buy it like that.

Eye cancer? The first one was timeless and classic. The new artstyle tho is pure garbage and makes me want to rip out my own eyes.

Too bad cause I like some of the gameplay changes, I won't buy it like that.

Yeah, too bad...It won't change so it's your loss, I guess. There are thousands of generic and boring looking games out there that don't get boycotted so the reaction of the loud minority who have such a problem with it is hilarious to me. Sure its style is unique but it doesn't look bad at all.

Many people around me agree with me, btw. so the acceptance seems to be there for the most part.

Contacted the developer and apparently a patch should go up today to fix the PS4's online glitches.

Also y'all are crazy, this game looks great.

Add me to the list of people who won't buy because of the art. I'll maybe pick it up when it's discounted but this would have easily been a day 1 purchase for me if it didn't look so awful.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I think the art is fine, but then again I don't expect anyone on the internet to care whether I think the art style would affect whether I bought a game or not.

gunstarhero

I think the overall design is great - It's great to see something different once in a while! It sort of remind me of Garbage Pale Kids.

The designers should be applauded here - this is the second game that stands out visually because it's not only unique, but perfectly executed at that.

I think the overall design is great - It's great to see something different once in a while! It sort of remind me of Garbage Pale Kids.

The designers should be applauded here - this is the second game that stands out visually because it's not only unique, but perfectly executed at that.

I also like the way the different parts of the stages almost tell little stories that mostly fit the theme. Like the night club that becomes a glass underwater tunnel in one screen with only the shilouettes being visible. In the background there's a huge swimming whale skeleton. Really cool!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow this is really a great improvement!! It's so damn fun. My GF and I played about 4 matches last night. Takes a bit of getting used to compared to the OG Nidhogg but it definitely is more exciting and interesting. Amazing follow up.

And yes, the dang graphics are awesome.

Puruzi

Banned
KInda feel bad that this seems good but i'm not getting it.

The aesthetics are too fucking awful. Even if I loved Nidhogg 1 and this is supposed to be better I can't get past it, it looks like shit.

I HATED the artstyle when it was first shown. After playing for a bit, it doesn't bother me at all. Actually kind of like it. Definitely see how it can be off-putting for potential buyers, though.

Re: the art style, I thought it looked pretty awful in the reveal trailer...but after watching GB's Quick Look, I've totally come around. The backgrounds are awesome, and the character designs are much better than the trailer made them out to be. Perhaps it's the customization options that "fix" them?

clemmy

Art aside, how is everyone else feeling about how the game plays? I feel like it's just not as fast paced as the first game. Playing a few hours of Nidhogg 2 and going back to Nidhogg 1 was kind of disappointing to me in that 1's gameplay just felt much more snappy compared to 2. Granted, 2 has much more animation so 1's graphical simplicity probably lends itself to feeling much more streamlined and responsive.

I'm a little bummed at the new divekick mechanics in that when you land a successful divekick, both players now fall down and get up simultaneously. It seems it's only good for disarming someone. Whereas landing a successful divekick in 1 both a) disarmed your opponent, and since the divekicker landed on their feet it b) gave them a chance to snap the neck of the downed divekickee- unless they react quick and roll away. It was a great risk/reward which was easily parried by a sword in the upper position, making the defender nearly un-divekickable. I wonder if the old divekick just doesn't fit in this game just because of the new weapons? It seems the greatsword doesn't kill people when they walk into it unlike the rapier- guess this could be the culprit. Both players falling down after a successful divekick adds such a pause to the action I feel like it takes away the frenetic energy of the first game.

I was initially pretty hesitant of adding new weapons but I think it definitely keeps the game fresh. The greatsword is such a beast, and I think blades in neutral positions being able to reflect arrows adds some good balance to what is otherwise a great ranged weapon. But therein lies a problem- what if someone is about to gain a screen on you, and with your last line of defense you are spawned with a bow that you can barely nock an arrow in time to defend yourself? It just feels like its not a great position to be in and is kind of frustrating to get stuck with. I guess everyone has to deal with the same RNG but boy oh boy, what a BS way to lose a screen.

Also, no more cartwheels!? Lame.

I am enjoying playing the game and I guess it could just be seen as a different take on the same formula. And I know, I know, the first will be there for me to play if I don't prefer the mechanics of 2. But man, I wish I had this art style and selection of levels with the same speed of play of 1. Would be the perfect sequel for me.

What's everyone else feeling?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
as I've nobody to play with, I'm either

1. waiting for the switch port (without begging...)
2. hoping the online is good

I heard online was utter trash in the first one with lag everywhere to intolerable levels. I didn't see the reviews mention it yet (only read 2) but can anyone comment?

If I got it for PC I could only play against buddies online.

BTA

Art aside, how is everyone else feeling about how the game plays? I feel like it's just not as fast paced as the first game. Playing a few hours of Nidhogg 2 and going back to Nidhogg 1 was kind of disappointing to me in that 1's gameplay just felt much more snappy compared to 2. Granted, 2 has much more animation so 1's graphical simplicity probably lends itself to feeling much more streamlined and responsive.

I'm a little bummed at the new divekick mechanics in that when you land a successful divekick, both players now fall down and get up simultaneously. It seems it's only good for disarming someone. Whereas landing a successful divekick in 1 both a) disarmed your opponent, and since the divekicker landed on their feet it b) gave them a chance to snap the neck of the downed divekickee- unless they react quick and roll away. It was a great risk/reward which was easily parried by a sword in the upper position, making the defender nearly un-divekickable. I wonder if the old divekick just doesn't fit in this game just because of the new weapons? It seems the greatsword doesn't kill people when they walk into it unlike the rapier- guess this could be the culprit. Both players falling down after a successful divekick adds such a pause to the action I feel like it takes away the frenetic energy of the first game.

I was initially pretty hesitant of adding new weapons but I think it definitely keeps the game fresh. The greatsword is such a beast, and I think blades in neutral positions being able to reflect arrows adds some good balance to what is otherwise a great ranged weapon. But therein lies a problem- what if someone is about to gain a screen on you, and with your last line of defense you are spawned with a bow that you can barely nock an arrow in time to defend yourself? It just feels like its not a great position to be in and is kind of frustrating to get stuck with. I guess everyone has to deal with the same RNG but boy oh boy, what a BS way to lose a screen.

Also, no more cartwheels!? Lame.

I am enjoying playing the game and I guess it could just be seen as a different take on the same formula. And I know, I know, the first will be there for me to play if I don't prefer the mechanics of 2. But man, I wish I had this art style and selection of levels with the same speed of play of 1. Would be the perfect sequel for me.

What's everyone else feeling?

Haven't played yet (or bought it, though I plan to), but watching GB's Quick Look- I'm pretty sure weapons have a cycle to them and it's not random. So in theory, if both players are paying attention, they'll both know what they'll get/face next. In practice that could get annoying still though.

Shame to lose cartwheels though. They were fun!

clemmy

I heard online was utter trash in the first one with lag everywhere to intolerable levels. I didn't see the reviews mention it yet (only read 2) but can anyone comment?

If I got it for PC I could only play against buddies online.

OG Nidhogg's online was bad on release, then fixed, then broken, now better than ever with the added ability to chat pre/mid game and change mutators on PC. Messhof brought on a dude dedicated to working on the networking and he did great work. He was brought on to do work on Nidhogg 2 as well. PS4 never really had issues with online.

I've played a couple dozen of matches of Nidhogg 2 online between both PS4 and PC with only 1 match having a bit of lag to start off with, then work great for the rest of the match. I think it was my opponent's connection that was the problem. When it worked good, it was almost like I was playing locally. Felt awesome and extremely responsive. They have had issues, but they are actively working to rectify them and have already pushed a patch out since Tuesday. Would not have a problem recommending this for people to play friends online.

Top Bottom