• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nidhogg 2 review thread

The only disappointing thing about this sequel is the lack of online lobbies, and spectator mode with it. If it had that, it would be insta buy for me.

Oh, there's a 'lag' setting in the online match options, which I'm guessing is the inbuilt latency similar to what you find in GGPO games. Seems to default to reeeeeally high values.

samred

My review is finally up at Ars. It earned one of our Ars Approved stickers, which we're careful to give out.

The game's busy, colorful arenas—now eight of them, up from the original game's four arenas—make sure to include consistent, starkly colored content right on the combat horizon, which Nidhogg 2's bubbly characters pop off thanks to their high-contrast designs and bold outlines. This is only further emphasized when environmental lighting effects explode on your fighters' edges, whether thanks to bursts of crepuscular rays from behind or direct illumination from torches, neon lights, and other bright level elements.

The game's art design is so much easier to visually appreciate in motion, as a result, with your eyes glued to the combat while taking in the intricate sprite art all around. Every level is packed with foreground and background detail, but this is done tastefully: minor animations keep the scenes feeling lively yet not distracting. (It's been a while, for example, since I've appreciated tiny animated squirrels in a game's nooks and crannies the way I've liked Nidhogg 2's little critters.)

I hate almost everything about this game and actually ended up refunding it on steam. The art style is grotesque on its own but it’s also far too busy and often makes it hard to see the player characters which is not an issue I want to have while playing nidhogg.

The game also feels much sloppier than the original, combine that with the nerf to dive kick and it becomes a much less fun game to play.

I guess I can somehow understand people liking the look of it but I’m surprised more people aren’t complaining about how it plays. The original is one of my favorite competitive games and it felt like an instant classic while this game feels like a poorly conceived sequel.
I really like how it plays. And the dive kick nerf was a good thing in my opinion.

whitehawk

Banned
The online is weird. It's treated like offline split screen buy online. Both people control the level choice, and when one person pauses to quit the game, it pops up for the other user too.

Little odd. Overall still fun, have yet to play offline yet.

You don't need multiple pages for "it's bad."

Funny thing is, when the style was revealed I thought to myself that probably the art and graphics will be one of the things people love the most about the Nidhogg II. It's already starting and more and more people learn to appreciate it. ^_^

I feel like I've wasted my money with this, it's just too laggy online (PS4) even though I get matches super quick. The lag detection setting seems to not work properly, it's setting me at 85-135m/s which just feels unplayable. I tried dropping it down which helps but it's pretty frustrating that both players control the same menus!!

I feel like I've wasted my money with this, it's just too laggy online (PS4) even though I get matches super quick. The lag detection setting seems to not work properly, it's setting me at 85-135m/s which just feels unplayable. I tried dropping it down which helps but it's pretty frustrating that both players control the same menus!!

It's certainly not optimized (yet) for anything but couch co-op. For that it's perfect, just as the first one.

Top Bottom