• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey trailer (October 27th)

maxcriden

Max, check the Mario Community thread and earlier in this thread. You can see a Gaffer post shots of a calendar from Club Nintendo last year, the month of August 2016, that has Snorkel Mario as the picture.

EDIT: Who shopped Luigi in that beach pic? He's not meant to be there.

Oh, I see. Is it the same Snorkel Mario pic as this one? (Luigi looked odd to me. I wondered if that was a shop but was under the impression it was the full image.

And, that calendar would have released end of 2015. So, still entirely possible they were hinting at SMO, I think.

Paper Mario is in a book.

Mario and luigi mushroom kingdom is meant to be the same as other ones.

You're totally right about Paper Mario (duh can't believe I didn't think of that myself) but I'm almost positive the first Mario & Luigi game took place in a sister kingdom and not the Mushroom Kingdom itself? Unless the other kingdoms are all smaller kingdoms within the Mushroom Kingdom? Is that... do kingdoms work that way?

Are the moons in Odyssey the same ones in world?
well the ones in world are 3-up moons and they have a smile.

My hype for SMO is very high, it's just that it's a game a little harder to demo the same place over and over (like the plateau in zelda) without showing everything that the world has to offer. Also very few people seem to use the whole move set of mario during these demos

JP

I've got most of my Christmas period games pre-ordered as I like to pay early when I have the cash ready, I really wish I could do the same with this on the eShop.

What I was thinking of doing as I have the funds ready is to but eShop download codes from somewhere like PC Game Supply and keep the codes until launch, that way I've paid and it's paid and it's out of the way and I don't have to think about it again.

Is there an expiry date on the eShop codes? Do we know anything about the price yet? I'd assume it was going to be $59.99 like the other major titles, unless we've heard anything different?

I think I know the answer to this but I want to just double check before I hand over money. I'm a UK user with a UK Switch but I do have active UK, USA and Japanese accounts on the console. Am I right in thinking that I can buy the cheaper USA version and play it as normal on my UK account as long as I keep the USA account on there?

Thanks.

Anyone else thinking that Moon Shines in Odyssey are sort of a middle ground between Green Stars in 3D World and Stars in 64 or Sunshine? Can this potentially affect the experience you have with the game?

Shouldn't even mention things like Toy Time, Melty Molten or Gusty Garden levels in the original Galaxy (Galaxy 2 can even be more creative). So far for what i' ve seen from E3 and Gamescon, the gathering process and complexity of MoonShines as well as the set pieces they are build around seem distant to the these 3 Mario sub series of games.

On the other hand boss battles have the chance to match the Galaxy series, which have the best ones of any Mario games. At least if they are on a similar level to the Mecha Carterpillar fight.

EDIT:
Eh, I don't see there really being a major difference in how the stars/shines/moons have been used. Sometimes you collect them for beating a major objective and sometimes you collect them randomly around.
You are not exactly answering the quesion. The reply was mostly a description of how collectables are distributed around the different games.

i talk about how creative and layered a given Star or Moonshine is in their respective games. The difference is apparent to me so far. Moonshines are in the middle of Green Stars from 3D world and the more complex Stars in the other 3D Mario games.

64 handled it a bit poorly since you got kicked out of a level every time you got one, so if you found a star on the way to another star you had to restart.
i might be wrong but this wasn't the case for all stars in 64. Didn't we have the chance to stay in level after collecting the ones that required coins?

In essence the point is: Compare the most involving Moonshine chase you have seen so far in Odyssey with the stuff we saw in Galaxy.

RagnarokX

Anyone else thinking that Moon Shines in Odyssey are sort of a middle ground between Green Stars in 3D World and Stars in 64 or Sunshine? Can this potentially affect the experience you have with the game?

Shouldn't even mention things like Toy Time, Melty Molten or Gusty Garden levels in the original Galaxy (Galaxy 2 can even be more creative). So far for what i' ve seen from E3 and Gamescon, the gathering process and complexity of MoonShines as well as the set pieces they are build around seem distant to the these 3 Mario sub series of games.

On the other hand boss battles have the chance to match the Galaxy series, which have the best ones of any Mario games. At least if they are on a similar level to the Mecha Carterpillar fight.

Eh, I don't see there really being a major difference in how the stars/shines/moons have been used. Sometimes you collect them for beating a major objective and sometimes you collect them randomly around.

64 handled it a bit poorly since you got kicked out of a level every time you got one, so if you found a star on the way to another star you had to restart.

Sunshine and Galaxy basically made every shine/star objective focused with some exceptions like hungry lumas.

3D World made the objective stars into flagpoles to differentiate them since there's no functional difference, and brought back the on the-way-stars from 64 but dialed it up to 11. A lot of people forget that you need to collect stars in this game just the same as any other 3D Mario and you need 170 of them just to face the final boss.

Odyssey does the same thing as 3D World, but the flagpoles are returned to being moons and the worlds are open, with many flagpole moons that spawn in sequence within the environment spawning missions.

Forkball

THERE IS NEW PHONE WALLPAPER I REPEAT THERE IS NEW PHONE WALLPAPER

DIls0IYVoAAviqr.jpg

DIls0sNUQAA1GCo.jpg

Zedark

Apparently new artwork that shows Peach wearing a sentient tiara, Cappy-style. Speculate away.
Do we kkowbif Bowser's hat is sentient as well? If not, then this could hint at playable Princess Peach. Still, the lack of info about what cappy is etc. makes it impossible to make confident guesses imo.

Wait the game is coming out in two days? Holy crap. Doesn't seem to be much marketing. I'd expect at least another trailer showing new levels

Edir: oh it's October 27th lol

Geddy

You fools keep watching all these gameplay videos and then whine that the hype died down for you. Well no shit, it's like watching 25 minutes of a movie trailer with tons of good parts.

Exercise self control like the responsible adults you someday hope to be and stop ruining the experiences for yourselves! Gah!

Piers

My Mario Odyssey hype kinda died. We have seen New Donk and the sand world so much now. And I really dislike the look of New Donk.

I dislike how it just floats in a void with the rest of a 'real' city surrounding it. I get Mario's world is surreal for functionality but this entire map wants to be a believable city as well -- it'd benefit from invisible walls instead imo

Apparently new artwork that shows Peach wearing a sentient tiara, Cappy-style. Speculate away.
The Tiara and Cappy kiss along with Peach and Mario during the wedding/ending.
(E3 Trailer theme also plays: it turns out to be the ending theme, not the main theme which is the music in the first trailer)

This is why I haven't watched that much gameplay. I probably watched too much of BOTW and definitely took away some hype.

You fools keep watching all these gameplay videos and then whine that the hype died down for you. Well no shit, it's like watching 25 minutes of a movie trailer with tons of good parts.

Exercise self control like the responsible adults you someday hope to be and stop ruining the experiences for yourselves! Gah!

pretty much. the trailers and treehouse gameplay video was good enough for me.

even the esrb description from a few days ago had me sweating.

In another sequence, Mario
lands several punches against a boss character;
action is highlighted by impact sounds and screen-shaking effects

AeWrYx1.gif

Wamb0wneD

Final European boxart:

Same change as on the American box.

Soooo the german one will have their atrocious self important huge ass logo over the Mario Odyssey Logo?

Edit:

I'd be surprised if it was higher.

The German boxart will look pretty bad as they have to move the logo to the right:

(still the provisional box)

FUCK THIS SHIT! Fuck these people so hard. Every fucking time. It's like they have to prove themselves how important they are. Small dick syndrome. This makes me unreasonably angry. FUCK.

Roo

Not sure if you guys have noticed it yet BUT Peach's Cappy has female eyelashes so we might end up with a female Cappy counterpart.

Btw, her name is
Cappa

😮

Top Bottom