• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey trailer (October 27th)

TheMoon

Soooo the german one will have their atrocious self important huge ass logo over the Mario Odyssey Logo?

Edit:

FUCK THIS SHIT! Fuck these people so hard. Every fucking time. It's like they have to prove themselves how important they are. Small dick syndrome. This makes me unreasonably angry. FUCK.

I mean, I hate the thing too obviously but what you're saying is complete nonsense. The only thing it's that big is they're worried customers/sales people won't see the rating and buy something harmful for their kids who then shoot up a school.

I dislike how it just floats in a void with the rest of a 'real' city surrounding it. I get Mario's world is surreal for functionality but this entire map wants to be a believable city as well -- it'd benefit from invisible walls instead imo

It isn't floating. New Donk City is built on the top of a skyscraper.

Wamb0wneD

I mean, I hate the thing too obviously but what you're saying is complete nonsense. The only thing it's that big is they're worried customers/sales people won't see the rating and buy something harmful for their kids who then shoot up a school.

Which is the actual nonsense here. Why not just make the whole cover the number while they are at it? All these school shootings in PEGI rated countries, and all these 12 year olds that don't play GTA and COD because of that bigger number. USK saves lifes i tell ya.

Neith

Banned
I'd be surprised if it was higher.

The German boxart will look pretty bad as they have to move the logo to the right:

(still the provisional box)

I recently got a Bitches Brew 4 disc cd set in book form, and was kind of not happy there was the triangular logo for mature audiences on there. I was even more weirded out with the fact there is hardly any talking on the DVD they have in there, and apparently the logo is from the name of the title of the fucking CD LMAO. It's not huge or anything, but it's definitely distracting.

I also just bought, and then sent back, Pearl Jam's 20 Bluray which came from Europe and had 6 stickers, that would not really come off, plastered all over the cover.

Like what and the fuck are these people thinking with these ratings systems interfering with the actual cover art. Europe is the FUCKING WORST about this.

I once got a Roots CD and it happened to be from Europe. I promptly sent it back because the parental advisory label in the US actually looks cool. The one from Europe looks completely idiotic.

Don't get me wrong I still import a lot of CDs and stuff but man these labels are OUT OF CONTROL.

TrueBlue

On second thought, Peach's tiara might be Cappy's girlfriend that also needs rescuing. I hope there's more to it than that.

Does Mario have a will of his own or is cappy using him?

What if the Girl cappy left cappy for Bowser? Is Mario being used for evil?

This game is weird.

TheMoon

I recently got a Bitches Brew 4 disc cd set in book form, and was kind of not happy there was the triangular logo for mature audiences on there. I was even more weirded out with the fact there is hardly any talking on the DVD they have in there, and apparently the logo is from the name of the title of the fucking CD LMAO. It's not huge or anything, but it's definitely distracting.

Audio content does not get rated. All visual media (games, movies) has to go get a rating. So if you have a DVD packed (concert, documentary footage, whatever) in with a CD, it has to have a rating. Nobody cares about explicit language on album covers or in songs.

NeonZ

i might be wrong but this wasn't the case for all stars in 64. Didn't we have the chance to stay in level after collecting the ones that required coins?

You continued in the stage after getting a 100 coins star, but any other one, including the 8 red coins one, booted you out. And the 100 coins one would usually be the last star you'd be getting in a level anyway, making that feature pointless.

RRockman

Banned
pretty much. the trailers and treehouse gameplay video was good enough for me.

even the esrb description from a few days ago had me sweating.

AeWrYx1.gif

Will Mario do the ORA ORA thing?!?!?

TheMink

You continued in the stage after getting a 100 coins star, but any other one, including the 8 red coins one, booted you out. And 100 coins one would usually be the last star you'd be getting in a level anyway, making that feature pointless.

I've only seen the feature maticulously used in speed runs.

On second thought, Peach's tiara might be Cappy's girlfriend that also needs rescuing. I hope there's more to it than that.

That's a great theory. Bowser goes to the Cap Kingdom to get a tiara for Peach's wedding dress and ends up kidnapping Cappy's girl. Would explain Cappy's motivation for teaming up with Mario.

TrueBlue

That's a great theory. Bowser goes to the Cap Kingdom to get a tiara for Peach's wedding dress and ends up kidnapping Cappy's girl. Would explain Cappy's motivation for teaming up with Mario.

It would make sense.

I hope it doesn't rule out a playable Peach completely. One would think that Peach's Cappy would have similar possession powers to the one with Mario. That both Peach and her tiara look resistant gives me hope that they might try and take things into their own hands.

spad3

pretty much. the trailers and treehouse gameplay video was good enough for me.

even the esrb description from a few days ago had me sweating.

AeWrYx1.gif

ESRB Rating:

Content Descriptors: Cartoon Violence, Comic Mischief

Rating Summary: This is an action platformer in which players assume the role of Mario as he embarks on a quest to rescue a princess from the villain Bowser. As players run and jump through themed 3D environments, they can hop on enemies' heads and/or use a cap to defeat them. Most characters react to damage with blinking effects, comical yelps, cowering gestures, or by turning into coins. During one boss encounter, players can capture a “cartoony” tank and fire cannonballs at a mechanical boss; large explosions are depicted as the boss is defeated. In another sequence, Mario lands several punches against a boss character; action is highlighted by impact sounds and screen-shaking effects. In a lunch-themed level, a giant bird-like creature spits out a trail of pink soup (and other food items) towards the player.

RagnarokX

I see some youtubers are surprised at there being more than one Cappy, but you can see other members of his race in the E3 trailer:

dM5wxMS.jpg

They wear bonnets, meaning they're likely female as well.

I think there's a Cap family.

Cappy
His father Pappy
His mother Mappy
His pet dog Snappy
His pet bird Flappy
His girl Happy
His boi Dappy
His toilet Crappy

Like what and the fuck are these people thinking with these ratings systems interfering with the actual cover art. Europe is the FUCKING WORST about this.

I once got a Roots CD and it happened to be from Europe. I promptly sent it back because the parental advisory label in the US actually looks cool. The one from Europe looks completely idiotic.

Don't get me wrong I still import a lot of CDs and stuff but man these labels are OUT OF CONTROL.

You do realize that that is the point of the whole ordeal? Not to look cool but to garner attention of the people by standing out from the design.

Same principle is being used on cigarette cartons.

And by the way I agree that the German box art looks worse but then again I will not spend a lot of time looking at the cover after I bought the game...

Man, that E3 trailer is really one of the best video game trailers of all time. The combination of the main theme and progression of game play possibilities presented just make it perfect.

Man, that E3 trailer is really one of the best video game trailers of all time. The combination of the main theme and progression of game play possibilities presented just make it perfect.

Yep. I thought it was impressive how many people who were legit furious after the January presentation were still willing to preorder the system based on the amazing trailer BoTW got at the end and I thought that would be my TOTY (lol) but that E3 Odyssey trailer was just fantastic, spot on *insert positive superlative here*.

Again another tangible improvement for Nintendo over the last several years, look at how they messed up keeping people excited for Tropical Freeze (another great game) for instance.

Top Bottom