• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild's NoA localization removed Link's characterization (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokieda

As far as I can remember, Jibun means "oneself" or "by oneself". It can mean "myself" as much as "yourself" or "himself". The quest logs seem to be written to be purposely ambiguous whether they were written by Link or a third person, something that is obviously impossible in English; the English translators simply went with the safest route.

I am the first to condemn shoddy translations (of which there are no shortages), but the OP is extremely misleading about this particular case.

This. It's very misleading and just poorly researched.

This is complete false alarm, likely written by someone who has limited understanding of Japanese. There is nothing in the source text that indicates it is written in the first person.

As far as I can remember, Jibun means "oneself" or "by oneself". It can mean "myself" as much as "yourself" or "himself". The quest logs seem to be written to be purposely ambiguous whether they were written by Link or a third person, something that is obviously impossible in English; the English translators simply went with the safest route.

I am the first to condemn shoddy translations (of which there are no shortages), but the OP is extremely misleading about this particular case.

Thanks guys.

OP, add these to your first post and then consider requesting a lock of this thread.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Like others have said I really don't see anything in here that directly indicates that Link is the one narrating these posts, it seems to be written intentionally ambiguously in Japanese (i'm not an expert). It's sorta funny to me that all the (That I have) and (I) that the OP inserts are total assumptions, you could just as easily read it in the passive voice, which is most likely what was intended.

BTA

This is what happens when someone who took two years of Japanese in college thinks they're a certified translator lol. The beauty of the internet.

I find localization differences incredibly interesting but it seems a lot of "look at how they ruined the localization!" stuff is caused by this, hah.

Golden Rose

Neo Member
RtqS3fA.png

Does anyone know how to use a dictionary? A quick google search will literally tell you that 自分 can refer to "yourself". I agree that the language is a bit more expressive in the Japanese version, but to translate it to English using first person pronouns when the journal entries clearly avoid them at all costs in Japanese would be wrong.

Nairume

Banned
I find localization differences incredibly interesting but it seems a lot of "look at how they ruined the localization!" stuff is caused by this, hah.
My favorite Ted Woolsey comment regarding localization is the complete bafflement at how people who actually understood Japanese would even be bothering with his localizations.

The translations seem to be more a case of the translator deciding to interpret "自分" differently than it was intended for in the game. "自分" is incredibly abstract and can be used to say that "you, yourself" did something in more of a narrative light, as it seems to be here. There is nothing in that text that makes it clear that Link himself is speaking rather than the game narrating itself. Not only that, a majority of the text also seems to be on par with the Japanese text, with most changes being inconsequential at best, the main differences being in expression.

Small edit:

Here is a good example sentence that I feel will shed more light on this:

"彼は自分の考えを書き留めた。
He put his thoughts on paper."

Just like in BotW, the term "自分" is being used to describe something someone is doing themselves or for themselves.

Piers

Coincidentally, I wonder how much of the decisions you made carry over into the new DLC scenario, especially when it seems like it's preferring to follow the
extended ending that required the Master Sword, Four Divine Beasts and Champion Tunic.
. Would the staff bother to have Zelda comment again on unlocking the full power of the Master Sword? Would be interesting to see.

BriGuy

I like the more personal touch. It seems like a small thing, but I think it would have helped the overall narrative.

Instro

Stupid change. Turned a personable CRPG-esque journal into a generic quest log. I'm surprised NoJ even allowed the change.

Jubern

Yeah, nothing to see here. The JP text simply isn't written in first person and anyone who wants to see it that way is either crazy, with a limited understanding of Japanese, or both.

Timeaisis

A shame, but I can understand the reasoning. Western open world RPGs very much take the "informative" approach to quest logging and design, and they probably wanted to emulate that to be more identifiable to their players.

Probably. Although, I really would like to read the more direct translations.

Aeana

This is a controversy invented by someone who doesn't have a firm enough grasp on the Japanese language. As many others have said in this thread, the Japanese used here could be interpreted either way, and that's a feature of Japanese that simply does not exist in English. We don't need to have a thread to promote the dissemination of this poorly researched misinformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom