• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Explosion on London tube

brian577

Banned
Never say never. I think about the metal detectors that started appearing in American high schools in the 90s. And you need to pass through a security check just to get into the food court of LAX.

Good luck.
london-underground-tube-overcrowding-delays-814808.jpg

inner-G

Banned
Its described as a fireball, I wonder if it was a bunch of propellant being ignited or something instead of an actual explosive?

They do it in Beijing every day. I don't understand why Europe doesn't follow.

If they can search 10 millions bag everyday in Beijing then more power to them but if you'd ever been in a London tube station in rush hour you'd know that this would cause the whole system to immediately collapse.

do they do security checks on bags in london?

standard practice in many places.... and if not, it will be...
Hahahaha

The underground city train system is not your airplane or something, at this point it wouldn't be a huge stretch to attempt to security check all pedestrians.

Also a lot of London museums have security checks and let me tell you that I am sure they are worth nothing unless attacker panics.

Maledict

Obviously. But my examples of security checks in schools and food courts are equally logistical nightmares to a subway.

They aren't at all. Brixton tube station *alone* has over 20 million people go though it a year. It has one entrance with 3 normal sized staircases going down into it.

I don't think people are understanding both the volume and complexity of the tube. It was the first underground in the world and is very, very old and built very differently to other underground networks (single lines, for example). It's not possible to put bag searches in operation on the tube, full stop.

Good luck.
london-underground-tube-overcrowding-delays-814808.jpg

Hey earls court! :)

Yeah bag checks on the tube is just a laughable idea. It would either be implemented poorly making it a joke or create chaos with insane lines that have nowhere to go except spill on to the street which would be much worse....

bosseye

They aren't at all. Brixton tube station *alone* has over 20 million people go though it a year. It has one entrance with 3 normal sized staircases going down into it.

I don't think people are understanding both the volume and complexity of the tube. It was the first underground in the world and is very, very old and built very differently to other underground networks (single lines, for example). It's not possible to put bag searches in operation on the tube, full stop.

This. Anyone claiming it is even a vague possibility to bag search on the tube network has never been on the tube.

Audioboxer

First time I ever visited London I arrived at around 5pm. It was the most stressful experience of my life getting that underground for the first time at that time of the day. Try carrying luggage through it and up all the escalators to boot. People throwing you about everywhere, getting angry and such at an underground newbie slowing them down. Worse stress than any job interviews lol.

I've been to London a few times since and the underground is still a riot at peak times. I echo what other posters have said. There is far too much traffic for mandatory bag searches. The best you have is security around to eyeball what they can and the reliance on passagers to report suspicious behaviour/packages.

Nevasleep

They should have decent CCTV on that train as it's newer, and at the station.

Still nothing has been said about any suspect or owner of the bag.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm sure they could put up metal detectors and do random searches no matter how high the traffic. The mandate just isn't there yet because it isn't consistently bad enough.

Carl

First time I ever visited London I arrived at around 5pm. It was the most stressful experience of my life getting that underground for the first time at that time of the day. Try carrying luggage through it and up all the escalators to boot. People throwing you about everywhere, getting angry and such at an underground newbie slowing them down. Worse stress than any job interviews lol.

I've been to London a few times since and the underground is still a riot at peak times. I echo what other posters have said. There is far too much traffic for mandatory bag searches. The best you have is security around to eyeball what they can and the reliance on passagers to report suspicious behaviour/packages.

Yeah I've been to London quite a few times and I'm ok at the underground but no expert. Imagining having to deal with security checks would be ridiculous as everyone has said

I'm in London in a couple of days and this isn't really bothering me. They can fuck off

Alx

I'm no bomb expert, but are we sure it's not accidental ? Could be that the bucket contained flammable chemicals. Or if it was a bomb it must have been a big failure, since there's no sign of plastic melting temperature, nor explosion strong enough to destroy the bucket.

Yeah best to go and get a tea or something until 7 if you have lots of baggage. Peak hours are a fucking nightmare. Really miserable experience.

Can't imagine Lidl is appreciating all this free advertising.

More seriously, from the sounds of it, the explosion lacked on one of the key things to a device causing harm: Shrapnel. Which I imagine is probably down to being in a (relatively soft) plastic bucket, rather than something more solid like a rice cooker (to use one known example). If it's deliberate, then thank god it's an amateur, or it could have been a lot worse.

I'm sure they could put up metal detectors and do random searches no matter how high the traffic. The mandate just isn't there yet because it isn't consistently bad enough.

How would metal detectors not just cause complete chaos?
People are allowed to carr loads of stuff that would trigger the detectors.
You would slow everything to a crawl. It wouldn't work.

BocoDragon

Not going to happen
I dunno. It sounds like how I'd think of a US-Mexico wall two years ago. Though to be fair, who knows if that would ever happen either :p

How would metal detectors not just cause complete chaos?
People are allowed to carr loads of stuff that would trigger the detectors.
You would slow everything to a crawl. It wouldn't work.
People would adjust to the commute. It's like when people voluntarily purge their liquids before they fly.

Metal detectors? How are you going to do that. It would ping all the time and you can't search all those people.

Random searches would be next to useless also.

Because we don't live in an authoritarian shithole? Sorry but I went to Beijing, they are not bring that police state shit over here. I take the tube every day and I'd rather "risk" this than live like that.

just walked past there like 10 minutes ago.

EDIT: For people asking if it could have been an accident, I received an email this morning saying that there was someone with a knife.

danowat

Banned
I'm trying to think of any country I've been too that had security checks on their mass transit systems (outside of airports of course), and I can't.

BocoDragon

Metal detectors? How are you going to do that. It would ping all the time and you can't search all those people.

Random searches would be next to useless also.
Well that's a different story. I'm not saying it wouldn't be security theatre.

Greddleok

I can't believe people are suggesting bag checks. Have you been to London? It's a system built like 100 years ago, designed for orders of magnitude fewer people.

If you stand still for a second to get your ticket out, someone is shoving you aside.

From what I've read so far seems like more people were injured in the mad stampede to get out rather than the actual explosion. Way to care for your fellow commuters.

Sevenfold

Lots of misinformation about atm so withholding judgement but all the hallmarks of a wannabe bad guy are there. Impossible to defend against this shit but what a fucked up world we live in.

People would adjust to the commute. It's like when people voluntarily purge their liquids before they fly.

No they wouldn't. People need to carry that stuff. To work, from work.
Take stuff home they bought. Just some examples.
It's unfeasible.

Don't suggest removing people's freedom and slowing down an immensely popular form of transportation just so that a paranoid minority can feel more secure.

Javier23

Banned
Bag checks in the London tube?

Lmao. You may as well just shut it down completely. Would serve the exact same purpose and you'd save a lot of money.

Dougald

What you'd be doing by putting in security checks in tube stations is creating a small underground room full of thousands of people queuing to get through metal detectors and bag searches in the morning rush hour, with a couple of staircases for exits. Which is an even worse target for a bomber than a train, frankly

Loptous

I'm trying to think of any country I've been too that had security checks on their mass transit systems (outside of airports of course), and I can't.

It's being done at the gare du Chatelet in France, which is the second busiest station in Europe. Just at the entry points of the station though, but it's something.

Maledict

Well that's a different story. I'm not saying it wouldn't be security theatre.

I think you don't really understand either how the tube works, or how counterterrorism operations work in the Uk.

Remember, we've been experiencing this for *decades*. The IRA had a long campaign of targeting civilian targets in london. We never introduced bag searches or metal detectors on the underground then either. This isn't a new phenomenon, and no-one is going to disrupt one of the worlds busiest transport networks in the worlds financial capital just for a piece of security theatre - least of all the intelligence and police services.

yepyepyep

Umm, I don't think so. One of the advantages of taking the smelly, claustrophobic, nightmare that is the tube is that you don't need to know the timetable because the trains are usually 1-3 minutes apart. How would security work in ridiculously busy stations like Victoria or Bank/Monument? You would have to get to the station 45 minutes earlier which would defeat the whole purpose of having the tube in the first place.

hirokazu

It’s because it’s stupid and turns metro services from a convenience to a bloody hassle. As people have pointed out, the checkpoints just create a bottleneck that can be attacked anyway.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'd wait till a legit expert on bombs can look at the picture and provide an educated guess as to if this was intentional, or the authorities release more information.

Glad no one was killed.

Top Bottom