• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Explosion on London tube

Breakage

7/7 bombings.
I know that's why I'm surprised nothing similar has happened (on London's tube network) for 12 years. It's an easy target and the restricted environment of the underground network introduces the deadly secondary threat of being crushed/injured by hundreds of panicking commuters trying to escape. There were reports of that [people being crushed/stepped on] happening today.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I was in central London yesterday, as I occasionally am with work, and I did think how wide of a goal those rush hour sardine cans are for terrorists.

And yet very little in the way of visible security in and out of the stations.

I was in central London yesterday, as I occasionally am with work, and I did think how wide of a goal those rush hour sardine cans are for terrorists.

And yet very little in the way of visible security in and out of the stations.

The protection from terrorist actions comes not from the Police spotting the attackers on the day and being able to react and contain the threat, it comes through knowing about them and stopping them before they happen. It usually works but not always.

hodgy100

And yet very little in the way of visible security in and out of the stations

You'd be incorrect there, theres loads you probably just haven't noticed them.

I live in Acton and work in central. if these twats think they are scaring me they have no idea!

I was on the District line East this morning about 8ish then back on it at 9 after I'd finished my errand. My Mum actually text me to walk instead but I'm not having that. Que sera, sera.

Nevasleep

Surprised there haven't been any arrests or house searches so far, although as it wasn't a suicide bomber they likely would have had an escape plan and better operational security.

Surprised there haven't been any arrests or house searches so far, although as it wasn't a suicide bomber they likely would have had an escape plan and better operational security.

Another consideration is that if the attacker actually put the device on a timer, then that actually gave them a window in which to get far away from the area before the police got on the hunt.

Also, number of people treated in hospital up to 29 now - still none serious.

I love London. Great city...I hope everyone is ok! I been on the tube tons of times during my visits at the city. The tube is way too crowded to have bag checks and I don't think it would be effective. People who have the will to carry attacjs will always find a way to get past check points.
Stay safe Londongaf!

Empty

i take the district line to work from wimbledon park every day. i arrived at the station at 8:20am this morning and got on the train sitting there only to hear an announcement saying that there's been an incident around parsons green, the line is suspended temporarily and they highly recommend seeking an alternate mode of transport, which i did. thought nothing of it, assumed just an annoying technical problem. looked at the news on my lunch break later and was incredibly spooked. if i came into work slightly early today i'd have been on it :/ :/

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
terror threat moved to critical. It could be that they've spooked a cell?

I imagine that whenever there is a terrorist at large they would raise the threat level. Let's hope they catch the prick and anyone who helped them.

Audioboxer

terror threat moved to critical. It could be that they've spooked a cell?

Just to confirm

5x6BciJ.png

Hopefully just precautionary due to an attack being carried out. It usually always goes to critical after an attack.

Probably critical because it's a combination of guy still on the loose and it's a failed attack. Assuming they wanted a successful attack they probably figure they'll look to strike again fast.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I imagine that whenever there is a terrorist at large they would raise the threat level. Let's hope they catch the prick and anyone who helped them.

The "good" news here is that they are out there to catch and interrogate.

Carl

sis was at Putney Bridge this morning, I can't possibly imagine

These jerkoffs think we are scared. They dont know us

Certainly not. I imagine the tube was as busy as ever this evening?

Certainly hasn't made me think twice about visiting the capital next week.

Symphonia

Banned
Just to confirm

5x6BciJ.png
Unsurprising, given that the bomb maker is still at large. I daresay that ISIS are pissed off this attempt didn’t work, so are plotting to try again. Raising the threat level to critical is a smart move, as we need to find those involved immediately.

Breakage

Threat level raised; bomber still at large. They are telling the public to be vigilant; as a Londoner I'm wondering how people are gonna do that when most have got their heads buried in a screen or their ears wrapped in headphones these days.

jchap

Unsurprising, given that the bomb maker is still at large. I daresay that ISIS are pissed off this attempt didn’t work, so are plotting to try again. Raising the threat level to critical is a smart move, as we need to find those involved immediately.

A bomber being searched for by the entire nation would definitely be looking to act before he got caught

Geist-

And you know this how?
My Dad has a copy back from his navy days, they're not exactly uncommon. Although his copy was the original, I heard the reprint took out some of the more dangerous recipes.

I'm glad to hear the guy this time was incompetent, I hope they find the bastard soon.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Train station announcement of the usual see it say it sorted had the voice over "now that the threat level is at critical"
But in the calm usual tones.

Going into work today and flying home Monday. Lots of public transport journeys for me.

Ain't not using the trains innit.

dc89

18 year old man arrested by Kent police in Dover in connection with the Tube bombing on Friday, police say.

BBC

slider

18 year old man arrested by Kent police in Dover in connection with the Tube bombing on Friday, police say.

BBC

Linked to. Let's hope it's the primary actor. And that any support structure (realistically in this country and countries nearby) is identified and unravelled ASAP.

No surprise it's another young man.

Sad to see young minds being swayed into radical bullshit, such a horrible waste. I'm not sure how you prevent it though without draconian monitoring methods, though the government and websites could definitely be doing a better job of getting rid of obviously heinous content.

Audioboxer

Sad to see young minds being swayed into radical bullshit, such a horrible waste. I'm not sure how you prevent it though without draconian monitoring methods, though the government and websites could definitely be doing a better job of getting rid of obviously heinous content.

Truly.

StayDead

Young minds are more impressionable, draconian monitoring methods would only make thinngs worse.

Symphonia

Banned
Isn’t the ‘draconian monitoring method’ exactly the kind of thing May wants to implement with the snooping charter?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm literally a few blocks from Parsons Green station. Everything is more or less back to normal, but it being a Saturday it would be quieter anyway so it's apples to orange comparison. London is so used to terrorism, and not just recent events, people move on. They care. They worry. They adapt, but they deal with it. Admirable in a lot of ways but also a sad reality.

When I used to live and work in London, IRA terrorism was a thing. I remember when they sealed up or removed all the garbage cans because they'd been used as hiding places for bombs. Those terrorists were white guys and Christians. And it made it harder for the media or wankers to create simplistic stereotypes.

velociraptor

In all honesty I was never a fan of public transport anyway - germ ridden, filthy and expensive. This attack however gives me another reason to avoid it.

It's just sad that terror attacks are so common place in the UK now.

EmiPrime

In all honesty I was never a fan of public transport anyway - germ ridden, filthy and expensive. This attack however gives me another reason to avoid it.

They're not though. Let's not be so dramatic, we've been through much worse.

I take it you've never used public transport in London then

Top Bottom