• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Brakke

Banned
New Control Center seems busted. It almost always shows media controls for Music app even though I almost never launch Music, and most recent playback app is Overcast (podcasts). Old Control Center never got confused about this.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Restoring from iCloud is near-perfect. It restores all your settings like permissions, wallpaper, app placement, etc, and it starts downloading all the apps you have. The redownloaded apps will retain their data.

To be safe, you might want upload any game saves you have to iCloud if they support it.

Sometimes 2-factor authentication apps aren't happy after a restore, so if you use any, be sure you have their recovery keys handy. Also, it's rare, but if any apps you own aren't on the store anymore, they won't be restored.

If your phone does start getting funky for whatever reason, Reset All Settings (not Erase) is usually a good way to get it fresh without losing data.

My iCloud is broken. Second tier support admitted there was a bug making it look like my storage is totally full even though it’s not. Couldn’t fix it.

Like lol wat

j-wood

If I do a backup and restore from a 7 to an 8 does the watch data carry over too or will I need to reset and reformat it too?

Future

Is there no more review sorting in the apps store anymore on iOS? Now when you look at an app you see reviews from 3 years ago and have to scroll endlessly to find a current one

My iCloud is broken. Second tier support admitted there was a bug making it look like my storage is totally full even though it’s not. Couldn’t fix it.

Like lol wat
Had that when I went from 9 to 10. Only got resolved once my iCloud storage went up to 50gb, which gave it room to sync and resolve naturally.

RedAssedApe

Banned
My 5s is always feels like it is overheating after the update. It’s always telegraphed too. Apps starting taking a long time to launch if they launch at all. Generally they just crash after awhile. I had safari open and the phone just stopped responding to any screen or button presses (home, volume, power, swipes) then all of a sudden it unfreezes and tried to catch up with all the queud commands.

What a mess so far. And this is after a full reset and install of iOS from scratch. 🤦*♂️

Whogie

My iCloud is broken. Second tier support admitted there was a bug making it look like my storage is totally full even though it's not. Couldn't fix it.

Like lol wat

Edit: Chaged my response. I think I misunderstood the issue initially.
That's shitty, but iTunes backup is good too. Or maybe get a new AppleID; I think you can leave your old one signed in on the App Store.

holygeesus

Banned
What's the best DLNA or media streaming app? I just want to watch movies I have on my PC on my iPhone.

To offer an alternative to those already mentioned, Infuse is very good, especially if you don't want to run a Plex server e.g. if you have a NAS setup or a network drive etc.

Tried a fresh install if ios11 on my 7+, didn’t change anything. Battery literally goes down 1% every minute even just using safari. Complete trash. And I tried to revert back to 10 and kept getting errors. So I’m stuck with this pile of shit....fucking great

Wi-Fi turns on whenever I'm on the move. Oh let me correct that, reenables its searching function. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

forms

Wi-Fi turns on whenever I'm on the move. Oh let me correct that, reenables its searching function. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

You have to actually enter settings to disable wifi/bluetooth. Some brainiac at Apple decided that the overlay ui should only disconnect when you thought you disabled.

Vyer

SO iOS 11 drains the phone battery faster?

I haven’t had any huge change on my 7+.

Currently along with my 20+ hours of standby I’m on about 4.5 hours of usage at 54%. If that holds I’ll be looking at around 9 hours of usage, which wouldn’t be too far off what I usually get.

I imagine that will improve once more apps are updated and we start to get iOS point updates.

Pepiope

Not sure if there is something wrong with the battery of my 8+. The charge from 0-80% seems fine, but it's been on a wall charger for over a hour and it's still sitting at 92% which is barely a 10% increase. Also seems to be some static in the earpiece...Is this something I should get replaced?

I know others have been having battery issues with 11. Anything like this?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Can someone tell me a bit about how good Homekit is in iOS 11 and how it works with Hue? I getting my Lightstripe in a few days and I heard that iOS 11 is a pretty powerfull automatication solution.

You have to actually enter settings to disable wifi/bluetooth. Some brainiac at Apple decided that the overlay ui should only disconnect when you thought you disabled.
It's probably the act of scanning networks that uses more power. But I don't get why wifi needs to be turned back on when I've moved to a new location? Or 5 o'clock of every day?

My phone scanned for wifi networks when I was on a bus!

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I realize this thread is more about the OS but I don't know where else to post this question.. Apple Watch. Haven't bought one before due to short battery life, but even so I'm thinking about getting one now. I don't need one, but I'm always curious about tech and shit. They don't sell the cellular version here though, so it'd have to be the basic version then. Also, 38 vs 42, any suggestions?

You guys got a great opportunity to have me either spend 400 bucks or not here! :)

Vyer

Can someone tell me a bit about how good Homekit is in iOS 11 and how it works with Hue? I getting my Lightstripe in a few days and I heard that iOS 11 is a pretty powerfull automatication solution.

Works pretty well. I currently have it connected to a lamp in my kids room and my living room lights. Do you have the bridge? Not sure about the light strips but the bulb starter kits come with one. Main problem you will have is if you use both the hue app and home app they have to synce with each other so that can sometimes cause some confusion.

I realize this thread is more about the OS but I don't know where else to post this question.. Apple Watch. Haven't bought one before due to short battery life, but even so I'm thinking about getting one now. I don't need one, but I'm always curious about tech and shit. They don't sell the cellular version here though, so it'd have to be the basic version then. Also, 38 vs 42, any suggestions?

You guys got a great opportunity to have me either spend 400 bucks or not here! :)

If it helps, there’s a Watch thread in Community

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1276347

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Works pretty well. I currently have it connected to a lamp in my kids room and my living room lights. Do you have the bridge? Not sure about the light strips but the bulb starter kits come with one. Main problem you will have is if you use both the hue app and home app they have to synce with each other so that can sometimes cause some confusion.

I am going to have a bridge, too, there was a deal on Amazon to get booth for 90€ and I even had a 40 voucher - It wont be cheaper ;)

Even thinking about making a Hue Thread because I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the options. Would be a poor mans OT but I think having one Main Place for talking about that stuff is a good idea.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am going to have a bridge, too, there was a deal on Amazon to get booth for 90€ and I even had a 40 voucher - It wont be cheaper ;)

Even thinking about making a Hue Thread because I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the options. Would be a poor mans OT but I think having one Main Place for talking about that stuff is a good idea.

I haven’t bothered with HomeKit. The hue app and one 3rd party power apps like HueLights are enough for me. The rules are all stored on the hue bridge anyway. Didn’t bother with HomeKit because you needed an Apple TV or iPad to act as hub, otherwise your options are limited with what you can do.

We have physical dimmer switches for rooms that have lights because having to use an app would really annoy the rest of the household. So you get the familiarity of switches with the flexibility of rules etc.

Vyer

Yeah I don’t think we’ve had a general hone automation thread

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Didn’t bother with HomeKit because you needed an Apple TV or iPad to act as hub, otherwise your options are limited with what you can do.
Huh. Didnt knew that. Think that i also wont bother qith Homekit then.

Yeah I don’t think we’ve had a general hone automation thread
I would keep that two things seperated, Hue looks from the outside as big enough to have own OT.
Since I cant do Photoshop, I dont think I can make a OT anyway.

Whoops, I got the early release but deleted my the beta profile and restarted the phone. Seemed to work fine for like 5 minutes and then turned into a brick.

Have it in restore mode right now, downloading ios11 over itunes.

edit:

oooooh shit icloud hasn't been making backups since june?! That sucks

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I haven’t bothered with HomeKit. The hue app and one 3rd party power apps like HueLights are enough for me. The rules are all stored on the hue bridge anyway. Didn’t bother with HomeKit because you needed an Apple TV or iPad to act as hub, otherwise your options are limited with what you can do.

We have physical dimmer switches for rooms that have lights because having to use an app would really annoy the rest of the household. So you get the familiarity of switches with the flexibility of rules etc.
HomeKit seems to have gotten a huge upgrade with two things now.. presence and relational time of day. You can now set events based on various presence in the home. First to arrive, last to leave, anyone is home, etc. and because presence is based on device presence and not sensors, well I guess that is good and bad.. still, it should then detect presence as people are approaching the house and hit WiFi. Relational time of day is minor but still any sort of extra time options we get are nice. So we can now specify an amount of time before or after sunset or sunrise. Nice for lighting which is usually better (and more efficient) to adjust outside of sunset and sunrise instead of directly on.

Honestly my most exciting Apple product this fall is HomePod. About friggin time Apple got into the speaker assistant market. It’s basically how I use my iPad at ho,e right now. The big difference is that my wife and daughter can’t trigger my iPad with Hey Siri, so if they don’t have their phones in their hand even turning on a light could be annoying.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yesterday I did a reset on network settings. My 6S actually stopped getting heated with light use and seems to have gone back to how it was before the update (it was still doing that 3 days after I updated). It’s the first thing I try when the phone is acting up and it seems to have helped.

Is copy paste across apple devices broken for anyone else with iOS 11? With iOS 10.3.3 I could copy a text on iPhone and paste it on iPad, doesn’t seem so be working with iOS 11.

Can confirm this, on my 6S+, 6+ & Air 2.

Are there any sites out there that do tests on iOS like battery drain, performance increase/decrease etc.?

I've seen BGR and a few other websites talking about it (BGR is claiming battery performance on average is 60% worse).

All I know is my 6S Plus went from good battery life to abysmal. Now I'm nervous about jumping to the X which apparently won't even have comparable battery life to the Plus models...

Paragon

Battery life on my 7 Plus seems to have gone back to approximately what it was on iOS 10 after running iOS 11 since the 19th.
I got a full day of battery life out of it yesterday, when it had been draining really quickly before that.
No idea what changed, whether the OS was indexing things or running some other system tasks, or if some app that was causing it was updated. That always seems to happen with big OS updates, but never usually for quite so long.

I'm sure iOS 11 has improved things, but my experience with Homekit + Hue was terrible on iOS 10.
The lights only behaved reliably (well, more reliably) when using the Hue app widget rather than the Homekit controls.
The Homekit controls would often stop responding and required me to restart the phone to get it working again.

I ended up getting rid of the lights because there were so many things I didn't like about them.
  • They make a high-pitched whine that gets worse as you dim them.
  • They are not flicker-free LEDs.
  • They don't put out a lot of light individually, and don't diffuse the light well. You still get those horrible LED shadows - and one of the fixtures I was using had seven bulbs in it pointing them all at different angles!
  • They're low-CRI bulbs so the light is harsh and skintones look awful under them.
  • They were not 100% reliable. Maybe 5% of the time, only some of the bulbs would switch on, off, or change color.
Now if you just want them as accent lights to add color to a room, that's probably fine. But I intended to go all-out and replace everything with Hue products.
Unfortunately the Hue LEDs are nothing close to the quality of Philips' MasterLED lights - and even then, only some of those products are of acceptable quality. The majority of LED lighting is awful, and I hate that alternatives are being phased out.

Battery life on my 7 Plus seems to have gone back to approximately what it was on iOS 10 after running iOS 11 since the 19th.
I got a full day of battery life out of it yesterday, when it had been draining really quickly before that.
No idea what changed, whether the OS was indexing things or running some other system tasks, or if some app that was causing it was updated. That always seems to happen with big OS updates, but never usually for quite so long.

I'm sure iOS 11 has improved things, but my experience with Homekit + Hue was terrible on iOS 10.
The lights only behaved reliably (well, more reliably) when using the Hue app widget rather than the Homekit controls.
The Homekit controls would often stop responding and required me to restart the phone to get it working again.

I ended up getting rid of the lights because there were so many things I didn't like about them.
  • They don't put out a lot of light individually, and don't diffuse the light well. You still get those horrible LED shadows - and one of the fixtures I was using had seven bulbs in it pointing them all at different angles!
  • They're low-CRI bulbs so the light is harsh and skintones look awful under them.
  • They were not 100% reliable. Maybe 5% of the time, only some of the bulbs would switch on, off, or change color.
Now if you just want them as accent lights to add color to a room, that's probably fine. But I intended to go all-out and replace everything with Hue products.
Unfortunately the Hue LEDs are nothing close to the quality of Philips' MasterLED lights - and even then, only some of those products are of acceptable quality. The majority of LED lighting is awful, and I hate that alternatives are being phased out.

I have HUE lights in my bedroom and haven't had any of the problems you've had with LED lights in general. I like the color temp, don't hear any whine, etc.

Controlling them from Homekit does often take a few seconds to sync (especially when making changes from the watch), but that's about it. If you ever need to reset the router, you might need to launch the Hue app to get everything the handshake again. Other than that, I haven't had any issues. I'm using the cheap white lights that come in the starter kit, and pretty much just wanted to dim/raise the lights while laying in bed. I'm totally satisfied with them.

Biggest change in iOS 11 is just that the homekit icon is always on the control center, so no more swiping up and swiping left/right to find the right screen to adjust the lights anymore.

sangreal

I have hue bulbs in nearly all of my fixtures and have none of these problems (with the exception of the subjective complaints). Your complaints of buzzing and flickering sound like you had them connected to a dimmer switch which they are not compatible with

The CRI is typical of LED bulbs

Vyer

I have HUE lights in my bedroom and haven't had any of the problems you've had with LED lights in general. I like the color temp, don't hear any whine, etc.

Controlling them from Homekit does often take a few seconds to sync (especially when making changes from the watch), but that's about it. If you ever need to reset the router, you might need to launch the Hue app to get everything the handshake again. Other than that, I haven't had any issues. I'm using the cheap white lights that come in the starter kit, and pretty much just wanted to dim/raise the lights while laying in bed. I'm totally satisfied with them.

Biggest change in iOS 11 is just that the homekit icon is always on the control center, so no more swiping up and swiping left/right to find the right screen to adjust the lights anymore.

Yeah I haven’t had any of those problems with my Hue bulbs either. Currently have two living room lamps and a ceiling fan fixture with the standard bulbs and a color bulb in the lamp in the kids room.

Biggest problem I have is people forgetting they are automated and manually disconnecting them from the setup. 😂

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Question. I use GBoard for my main keyboard. Is there a way where I can use GBoard on the lock screen and when I quick reply to people? Or am I stuck using the Apple keyboard for those circumstances?

GBoard works for me to quick reply to iMessages from the lock screen.

number11

Did they seriously remove continuous playback in the pocasts app? There’s a ‘play in sequential order’ setting, so surely this is just a big right?

I love the recently updated and listen now additions, but the amount of nesting in the app is a joke.

Paragon

I have hue bulbs in nearly all of my fixtures and have none of these problems (with the exception of the subjective complaints). Your complaints of buzzing and flickering sound like you had them connected to a dimmer switch which they are not compatible with
It wasn't buzzing, it was a high-pitched whine. Not everyone was able to hear it.
They were not connected to a dimmer switch, dimming was done via the app. Technically any color mixture on them is dimming to some degree, other than pure red/green/blue or all three maxed-out.

This is one of the fixtures that was put up as a test.
I bought a lot of bulbs as I was not convinced that they would be bright enough (which was correct) and tested them in many different rooms/fixtures.
45W CFL:
cflxqsuv.jpg

Fixture with 6x 10W Hue lamps (was still waiting on one to arrive)
hue-ledwqsbi.jpg
Those lines in the photo are caused by the lights flickering. Both photos were with the shutter speed set to 1/2500s. Flicker got worse the dimmer the bulbs were.
Though the fixture looks brigher in those photos, due to the harsh LED shadows and the low CRI, that single CFL (which is a high-end CFL) lit the room better, and produced a less-harsh light.

The CRI is typical of LED bulbs
The only specs I can find for them is 80 CRI in a 2000K-4000K range, which is very low.
The MasterLED lamps are >90 and a high-end CFL like the one pictured above is 96.

With enough tweaking, you should be able to get them to display any color temperature that you want, since they're RGB bulbs. The issue is color rendering, rather than color temperature.
It's how colors appear under the lights, rather than the color of white the light is producing.
high-cri-led-strip-lieisuf.jpg

Red

What are the favorite photo editors on iOS 11? Right now I primarily use Snapseed and Lightroom. Is there anything out there that will let me crop and remove part of one image, and then impose it on another one? Anything with functionality close to the lasso tool in photoshop? Anything that allows layer editing?

Are there any NLEs that I could use in place of desktop Premiere Pro? Never found anything very good for video on iPhone before.

Top Bottom