• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't think I'll ever enjoy food the way this lady enjoys her Ortolan.

I was curious about this French dish (mainly cause it's fucked up.) For those unfamiliar, you take a little bird, overfeed it so it doubles in size, drown it in brandy, then (if you're proper) you cover your head and plate with a rag as you eat it to trap the aroma.

I was looking it up online and found this video of a lady eating it. It's...borderline nsfw/nsf-vegetarians. I'm in tears over how she whispers "Ah cest bon." Skip to the 1:30 mark.

Gzphkjs.jpg

max rebo no

Wow. Haha that was great. Honestly I thought this was going to be about Wendy's Eating Show, especially because I didn't know what an Ortolan is hah.

The only similar experience I can think of is the very first time I had salmon. It was so good I nearly started crying.

Can't say I've ever had any food that's given me a borderline orgasm.

The birds are caught with nets set during their autumn migratory flight to Africa. They are then kept in covered cages or boxes. This "artificial night" causes the birds to gorge themselves on grain (usually millet seed) until they double their bulk. "Roman Emperors stabbed out ortolans’ eyes in order to make the birds think it was night, making them eat even more". The birds are then thrown into a container of Armagnac which both drowns and marinates the birds.[7]

The bird is roasted for eight minutes and then plucked. The consumer then places the bird feet first into their mouth while holding onto the bird's head. The ortolan is then eaten whole, or without the head and the consumer spits out the larger bones. The traditional way French gourmands eat ortolans is to cover their heads and face with a large napkin or towel while consuming the bird. The purpose of the towel is debated. Some claim it is to retain the maximum aroma with the flavour as they consume the entire bird at once, others have stated "Tradition dictates that this is to shield – from God’s eyes – the shame of such a decadent and disgraceful act",[7] and others have suggested the towel hides the consumers spitting out bones.[8] This use of the towel was begun by a priest, a friend of Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin.[9]

The ritual is pretty weird and I gave up Catholicism for largely the same reasons when I was about 12. I'll stick to my 3 piece popeye's.

The Lamp

wait

Is she eating a baby bird whole and chewing through the crunchy bony skull?

you're eating the birds digestive tract and poop

I think I'm gonna be sick

wait

Is she eating a baby bird whole and chewing through the crunchy bony skull?

you're eating the birds digestive tract and poop

I think I'm gonna be sick

Apparently part of the reason for the rag is to hide the act of spitting out the bones that you don't chew and "hide from from god."

This is a strange and old tradition currently disappearing after the protection of the ortolan in 1999. But you still have some people poaching and eating the bird, often linked with small hunters political right wing party.

And it gives us things like that when people try to destroy the illegal traps (here the traps were supposed to catch skylarks) :

Neith

Banned
This is a strange and old tradition currently disappearing after the protection of the ortolan in 1999. But you still have some people poaching and eating the bird, often linked with small hunters political right wing party.

And it gives us things like that when people try to destroy the illegal traps (here the traps were supposed to catch skylarks) :

I mean, I think the people understand it can be tradition, but this lady is sucking on this thing like a candy dildo lol.

That video was more horrifying than murder videos in some ways.

And then the eel videos right after. I think I'm good for today.

I mean, I think the people understand it can be tradition, but this lady is sucking on this thing like a candy dildo lol.

That video was more horrifying than murder videos in some ways.

And then the eel videos right after. I think I'm good for today.
Oh I'm not defending the act, it's clearly a horrible tradition, I agree with you. But well, Maïté is gonna Maïté :p

Top Bottom