• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nyko Portable Dock and Boost Pak for Nintendo Switch Now Available

deleted

Not up on Amazon Germany yet, but I found a small cheap dongle that's apperantly made in China.. I guess that could work or damage my switch?

Can't copy the link from the Amazon app, but it's this one: TTqp.tech HDMI Typ C Adapter für Nintendo Switch

Kovacs

Is this a straight from the packaging solution, or is it another dismantle your original dock for the parts like all the others I've seen on the market so far?

Metalmarc

thinking of buying the Cybergadget, Lan dock with built in ethernet when it releases in Dec, £54

IMG_7739.jpg

IMG_7740.jpg

IMG_7741.jpg

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/10/cybergadgets_slim_switch_dock_offers_lan_play_-_releases_this_december

foltzie1

$50 for a Switch compatible dock w/ AC adapter and HDMI cable.

$40 cheaper than Nintendo's own solution.

Impressive, assuming no issues w/r to build quality.

I might buy both honestly, the dock will be great for my upstairs bedroom while the official one stays downstairs. The battery pack also looks very nice.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I've had that dock on pre-order at Amazon since they announced it back at E3 time. It has a release date of Oct 31 on there still.

Too bad the dock is larger than the original prototype they advertised: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...ck-gets-beaten-by-hyper-portable-nyko-option/. It looks like the size increased to accommodate the additional USB ports. I would've been happier with the smaller unit.

It's $5 more expensive too.

Looks better now. Wider base for stability and it's not standing up perfectly straight anymore, but rather with a slight incline.

I'm spending time at my parent's house for Halloween this year and I'm bringing my Switch with me. I already scheduled my copy of Mario Odyssey to be picked up at the Best Buy in my home town. Guess I'll send the portable dock to my parent's house as well. I was hoping they would eventually release something like this. Seems like a pretty logical thing to have for a portable "home" console.

Picking the dock up tomorrow from GameStop. I was planning on waiting for some reviews to flood it, but am house-sitting and would really like to have it with me.

Do these docks have the extra power to run games at 1080p, or will they run in portable mode on TV?

I never really got a clear answer on that from anything I’ve read.

I've had that dock on pre-order at Amazon since they announced it back at E3 time. It has a release date of Oct 31 on there still.

Too bad the dock is larger than the original prototype they advertised: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...ck-gets-beaten-by-hyper-portable-nyko-option/. It looks like the size increased to accommodate the additional USB ports. I would've been happier with the smaller unit.

It's $5 more expensive too.

I agree this looks much nicer. I'm going to hold out for a smaller one. While this one is definitely better than the original Switch dock, it's still pretty bulky.

Do these docks have the extra power to run games at 1080p, or will they run in portable mode on TV?

I never really got a clear answer on that from anything I've read.

The docks dont have any extra power, they just send a message to the Switch telling it to run the fans/cpu clock at full spec rather than passive cooling with HDMI out. I would guess that this will output in console mode.

jts

...hate me...
man how does Nyko make a better dock than Nintendo. Still would prefer a little USB hub type thing since I could use less plastic shit on my desk and it has no innards anyway.
Nintendo's dock has a whole marketing strategy and reasoning behind it. No one can really say it's not working.

I prefer Nintendo's for my main TV, but this one is definitely better to travel with.

A USB hub can't ensure proper ventilation for the console.

StereoVsn

I am going to grab the dock once it's up at Amazon/BestBuy/Gamespot. I will pass on the battery. Already have a few portable chargers with far more juice. Plus the way it attaches precludes cases in the handheld mode.

Poppyseed

Got the Nyko dock. Works perfectly. I don’t want that other one people are ogling since it still had parts of the plastic that slide over the screen part.

After all, that’s what many of us were upset about with Nintendo’s own dock in the first place!

Nyko one works a treat!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Good it's finally out. I couldn't wait and got this one for 19€ on AliExpress:
http://s.aliexpress.com/RzEvqmQV

atBl3Qp.jpg

Couldn't be happier, it's super small and works perfectly. When I play for long periods of time I flip the switch, to let the vents unobstructed.

Spyware

I wanna import this dock so bad. Can it be used with the original Nintendo charger?
I have a very warped/leaning original dock that is pretty much unusable so I haven't been able to dock my Switch since I got it.

marc^o^

How is this? It looks like what I wanted from a portability standpoint.
It's...perfect? Only inconvenience is you need to power it with the official Nintendo power adapter (or a very recent compatible USB-C power bank)(most won't work).

marc^o^

Man, already out of stock on Amazon U.S. I think they're gonna make a killing on this.
I'd guess most households have 2 TVs nowdays, and it's super convenient to be able to plug the Switch, whatever the room, floor. Convenience is always welcome and at that price, I'm also sure docks will flourish.

Is this a straight from the packaging solution, or is it another dismantle your original dock for the parts like all the others I've seen on the market so far?

Straight from packaging.

For what it's worth though, there are now versions of those docks that don't need you to take the chip from your original dock now:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074PKLK1Y/

Tempted to just go with one of these rather than the Nyko one.

But, if I want it as a secondary you need another AC adapter, which brings the price up to nearly the official Dock set levels (which also includes a decent quality HD cable), so I'm waiting for someone to break the £30 barrier in the UK.

I wanna import this dock so bad. Can it be used with the original Nintendo charger?
I have a very warped/leaning original dock that is pretty much unusable so I haven't been able to dock my Switch since I got it.

If you're not getting it as a secondary dock, you might try something like this instead : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074FGNBSB/

More affordable at any rate. But otherwise, yes - you can use the original charger. It does come with it's own though.

Spyware

If you're not getting it as a secondary dock, you might try something like this instead : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074FGNBSB/

More affordable at any rate. But otherwise, yes - you can use the original charger. It does come with it's own though.
Yeah but it doesn't come with a swedish one :p
I have looked at cable solutions from original dock to the Switch but I wouldn't want to have the Switch just laying there beside it, and using a stand for it just makes it all so clumsy. A working, simple dock is what I want, and since I can apparently use my swedish official charger for the Nyko dock I'll order it as soon as it's back in stock ^^

DrGrus

Does it exist another solution for clipping on an extra battery pack to the switch?

I understand the reason for an battery pack that can be inserted into the ordinary dock. However it feels that the switch would be very unbalanced with the boost battery.

I'd guess most households have 2 TVs nowdays, and it's super convenient to be able to plug the Switch, whatever the room, floor. Convenience is always welcome and at that price, I'm also sure docks will flourish.

Yes. This design also works much better for taking the dock with you which I do from time to time. It's much smaller and you don't have to worry about it bending.

DavidDesu

If that works as it should then I’m definitely getting that. A better solution that’s way more compact than the official one. Yep!

Will be nice being able to dock my switch to the bedroom TV for in bed Mario Kart sessions with the gf (no jokes please!).

Top Bottom