• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Hand drawn animation is inherently superior" is the most bs claim I've ever seen.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Alternatively, "is never lazy".

There are beautiful hand-drawn animation. But they are beautiful not because they are hand-drawn. They are beautiful because they are... beautiful.

Sadly this is a peeve of mine that I keep seeing a lot. That apparently being "hand drawn" makes it immediately better and apparently immune to shit like being lazily drawn. People often complain that "modern shows are all so simple in shapes with very little expressions"... often forgetting that it has very little to do with what format or how they are made.

It's like people forget Lou Scheimer cartoons which essentially have really stiff movement and limited facial expressions, and often has a tendency where characters are just standing still.

ccGGXKu.jpg

Or Hanna-Barbera's "cheat" where the lower half of the body doesn't move and only the head does, complete with "exchangeable" head parts

Screen-shot-2012-10-02-at-9.33.05-PM.png

Or hell, the clut of the 90s where characters look really off model because merchandising or rushed production to catch that demographic.

h1KzIcF.gif

And even anime isn't immune to shit like this.

rtE4Qck.png

Is it because people think something is hard, ergo it will produce something good? "Drawing with hands is hard ergo the outcome will definitely be good because it is harder to do!"

I mean, superior doesn't mean "good", right?
It's also a very generalized statement, meaning it doesn't have to apply every time.
In the end, I'd call it opinion, far from factual.

Additionally, CGI isn't inherently worse than practical effects. All are just tools in the artist's hands and can be crafted poorly or to great effect. There are entire scenes constructed with CG now and audiences don't say a thing because they don't notice.

Define Handdrawn ?

Because everything is hand drawn to a point and computer assisted to another...

So hand drawn means absolutely no computer assistance ?

The definition is blurry.

That's "the most bs claim you've ever heard"?
Must not pay much attention to politics.

I've heard people claim that North Korea might nuke Austria, that black people smell bad and that choosing civil service over military service shows hatred for your country. From one person, in one evening.

I wish animation bias was the most nonsensical claim I have been subjected to.

Define Handdrawn ?

I'm assuming hand drawn as opposed to completely cgi. In this case hand drawn would apply to digital animation where the animators used a computer, but still drawn piece by piece instead of animating using 3d models

TEJ

I prefer high quality hand drawn animation to cgi. The low quality stuff you mentioned I have little to no love for.

However, movies like Zootopia and Moana are gorgeous, and i’m hoping that Disney can keep on outdoing themselves with the visuals in their cgi films.

I've heard people claim that North Korea might nuke Austria, that black people smell bad and that choosing civil service over military service shows hatred for your country. From one person, in one evening.

I wish animation bias was the most nonsensical claim I have been subjected to.

Exactly.

Animation = art now, don't ya know?

The animation on the Mona Lisa is really mediocre. Da Vinci was a hack.

Jackpot

Banned
I agree OP. I read reviews of Area 88 OAV vs those of Area 88 remake and it was full of that BS. It was like they were completely oblivious to the crudeness of the some of the plane drawings, the ballooning dimensions and deliberate aversion to changing the "angle" of the drawing even though it broke the laws of physics.

Boss Doggie

Speaking of hand drawn animation, your avatar kind of looks like a naked version of Were Garurumon pleasuring himself OP lol

image.php

nah is halloween

Also, a topic about "animation," and only 1 of the 4 pictures used as example are actually animated?
Animation = art now, don't ya know?

surprisingly enough it's hard to look gifs for old shows lol

honestly just watch a clip of the episodes to see my point, or hell, online reviewers about them

anyway if you did read my posts, you will get what I mean, especially if you've watched them

Define Handdrawn ?

iirc for that, the difference is traditional vs digital

basically hand-drawn can still include digital media, stuff like flash are opposite of hand drawn if you catch my drift, since even if they are drawn, most of the process are mostly manipulating shapes

Eidan

OP, I’m sure those saying hand drawn animation is superior aren’t saying ALL hand drawn animation is superior, just that the highs seen in the best hand drawn animation is better than the highs seen in the best computer generated counterpart. Surely you knew this.

I agree OP. I read reviews of Area 88 OAV vs those of Area 88 remake and it was full of that BS. It was like they were completely oblivious to the crudeness of the some of the plane drawings, the ballooning dimensions and deliberate aversion to changing the "angle" of the drawing even though it broke the laws of physics.

What we really need is another U.N. Squadron game.

Boss Doggie

OP, I’m sure those saying hand drawn animation is superior aren’t saying ALL hand drawn animation is superior, just that the highs seen in the best hand drawn animation is better than the highs seen in the best computer generated counterpart. Surely you knew this.

Ehh depends on the focus.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I see this a 2D vs 3D thing. I just happen to enjoy the best looking 2D over the best looking 3D. That would be with gaming too.

Capra

It's a pretty dumb assumption that stems from the more reasonable claim that more effort = better quality. There's a misconception that digital animation is somehow easier to produce than hand-drawn animation (never mind the fact that it's still people drawing on a tablet) so therefore it must be "inferior." In reality most animators have always needed to cut corners in order to meet deadlines so not needing to paint directly onto cels or manage physical media subject to degradation should be a massive boon to those who do have the skill and can focus their efforts entirely into producing high-quality animation.

Boss Doggie

OP's strawman doesn't really hold up, of course it isn't inherently better.

but...

tumblr_nsdeyj6dyx1rydwbvo1_500.gif

It's less about strawman though. I'm talking about random people making that claim. Most of the time, what they are complaining (e.g. lazily designed character) is attributed towards the medium rather than well... design. It's often using the mindset that "something is done hard ergo it will produce something better"

I've never seen 3D animation that looks as good as the best Ghibli has to offer.

If hand-drawn animation is not inherently superior, it's only because the vast amount of hard work that goes into something like Princess Mononoke doesn't magically come free with the medium.

btrboyev

OP you used a couple of examples of cartoons that were intentially made on the cheapest budget as possible. Masters of the universe especially. One season of that show was in the neighborhood of 65 episodes. And they were produced in about a year or less.

That’s not really fair is it?

Mendrox

"Hand drawn animation is not inherently superior!"

*posts worst offenders which are know and not once the godlike animations from other shows*

Of course there are more shit looking episodes in many shows than amazing ones. Hand drawn animation is super super expensive if you want to look it good (or you kill people by only throwing money for food at them because animating is their passion and companies act like they don't care).

Hand drawn will always be superior to anything else. Good example how good hand drawn animation can look? Cuphead. Show me one game or show that compares to that.

Boss Doggie

OP you used a couple of examples of cartoons that were intentially made on the cheapest budget as possible. Masters of the universe especially. One season of that show was in the neighborhood of 65 episodes. And they were produced in about a year or less.

That's not really fair is it?
"Hand drawn animation is not inherently superior!"

*posts worst offenders which are know and not once the godlike animations from other shows*

Of course there are more shit looking episodes in many shows than amazing ones. Hand drawn animation is super super expensive if you want to look it good (or you kill people by only throwing money for food at them because animating is their passion and companies act like they don't care).

Hand drawn will always be superior to anything else. Good example how good hand drawn animation can look? Cuphead. Show me one game or show that compares to that.

You're missing the crux of my argument though - I'm targeting the inherent "work done = quality" mindset.

And most of the time this argument is used in cartoons nowadays as well, so it's applicable. I'm not comparing movies here - you usually see this argument towards "these shows today!" I didn't even bring up anything for the other side.

Also Cuphead, funny you mention that is while that game is really great and its visuals are amazing... if you actually look at the cartoons they are based from, they are actually more of an acquired taste and is less about animation only but animation + set pieces, like music (see Betty Boop's shows). And okay if you ask - Okami. Captures the sumi-e painting style and blending it in a 3D world.

muteki

Good hand-drawn is good, bad hand-drawn is bad.

Good cgi is good, bad cgi is bad.

Mixing the two methods is....hit or miss.

Top Bottom