• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo hits back at Wii U power concern

Diablos54

Fire Emblem
F-Zero GX (greatest racing game of all time)
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
Super Mario Sunshine
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
Odama
Chibi-Robo!
Pikmin 1
Pikmin 2
Zelda: Wind Waker
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos 1/2
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Remake (Crimson Zombies FUCK YOOOU. Last great classic RE game)
Viewtiful Joe 1/2
Soul Calibur II: Link Edition
Eternal Darkness
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (I'm not your bucket bitch, bitch!)
Zelda: Twilight Princess (definitive edition)
Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
Wave Race: Blue Storm
Mega Man Anniversary Collection/Mega Man X Collection
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime II
Super Smash Bros. Melee (I hate these games, but I suspect if I didn't include it someone might stab me in the eye)
Timesplitters
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Super Monkey Ball I/II (the only good SMB games these days)
Beyond Good & Evil
Man I loved my little Gamecube, so many good memories. I'm looking to see if there's anything major you left out but you seem to have got it all. The only thing I see missing is RE 0 (lol).

Amir0x

Banned
Man I loved my little Gamecube, so many good memories. I'm looking to see if there's anything major you left out but you seem to have got it all. The only thing I see missing is RE 0 (lol).

Yup. It's one of my favorite systems of all time. Had you known me during the Gamecube era everyone would have labeled me as a Nintendo fanboy and the world would be a different place in terms of many's perspective on the Amir0x subject.

There are a few games I left off only because I hate them so much I couldn't stomach to include them. Notably, even I couldn't bring myself to force Animal Crossing on the list ;)

DKHustlin

Fire Emblem
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (one of the greatest RPGs of all time)
Super Mario Sunshine (I understand people are divided on this, but I loved the focused thematic and the gameplay was as good as ever: Mario's acrobatics were amazing when amplified by F.L.U.D.)
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (seriously one of the only time a gimmick actually worked)
Odama (ditto as above. Seems strange: When they're not FOCUSING on gimmicks, they can manage to make them work)
Chibi-Robo!
Pikmin 1
Pikmin 2 (one of the top ten games of all time)
Zelda: Wind Waker (still the most beautiful Zelda game and one of the only games from this gen that STILL holds up visually)
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos 1/2
Resident Evil 4
Viewtiful Joe 1/2
Eternal Darkness
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime II
Super Smash Bros. Melee (I hate these games, but I suspect if I didn't include it someone might stab me in the eye)
Timesplitters
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Beyond Good & Evil

And of course for some people, all the requisite Mario sports games or whatev. Gamecube was an amazing system, fuck yo couch.

NSMB was unsinpired dreck, at least the DS version, and the Wii version was yawn-worthy simplistic crap until the last two worlds (and maybe you can add in one level here, one level there from some of the other worlds). But even if you like it, I feel the entire package is important. I don't know why Nintendo feels they only have to put effort in one aspect of these games, but I suspect it's because people like you love making excuses for them.

NSMB might have been really memorable if they upped the challenge a bit and then added in a compelling visual style, just like the Mario series has always been known for. Mario games have always been reinventing itself visually, NSMB is the laziest, most unsinpired flash-game esque visual design in the series history. And the music! My god, fucking awful.

Lol no one is making excuses for nintendo my whole stance in this thread is they are going backwards when they shouldn't. And nsmb is great because it was the best 2d platformer in over a decade. Three visuals aren't bleeding edge but they're extremely charming, colorful, and clean.

I did forget windwaker and viewtiful Joe and pikmin 1 but the rest is forgettable. Re4 and the primes are better on the Wii so I'll take the Wii versions. people like me want Wii-esque software and there are a lot of us. I've probably played more brawl, wsr, and nsmbwii then I did the entire cube. Seeing nintendo trying to go for hardcore crap will not only suck for consumers like me but will put nintendo in the same boat they were in the cube days. like I said before hopefully they abandon pandering to a demographic that will never accept then anyway.

StevieP

Banned
I understand your point that at 249 Nintendo being sold, it probablyhad a reasonable profit margin for Nintendo, maybe 20%;

$6 per console at launch, according to Forbes iirc

Isn't it a safe assumption that this is what will happen with the wii u? Especially with developers screaming about resources and money. Why would they out resources into developing on the wii u platform if it ends up being under powered compared to the next gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft?

The Wii U has architecture that will allow for porting to happen from next gen consoles. However, it is on the publishers to dedicate resources to do so. Right now, I doubt that's happening as much as Nintendo would like. It would be like running a PC game in low from high (with PC being Ultra of course), but it's possible.

The answer is you don't go after the casual crowd with $399-$499 machines. There are cheaper, older, consoles that can cater to that crowd just fine and even better than a new console.

Start off high end, market to the high end market, and as the price of the system goes down, you branch out your marketing and target audience. Sony did this successfully with the ps1 and ps2, MS has had some level of success doing this with the 360.

There is no reason to hold back technical innovation for the sake of the casuals who don't bother to follow gaming anyways. There is also no reason why we can't have innovation with technology being pushed at the same time.

NPD thread.

Amir0x

Banned
Lol no one is making excuses for nintendo my whole stance in this thread is they are going backwards when they shouldn't. And nsmb is great because it was the best 2d platformer in over a decade. Three visuals aren't bleeding edge but they're extremely charming, colorful, and clean.

No when I say making excuses, I mean you obviously don't care if Nintendo puts effort into their products. You have an arbitrary line about what is important, and everything else can go to hell. At least, that's the interpretation I get. I don't know maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, to me it's not even close to the best 2D platformer. Rayman Origins is for me considerably better, both in level design, challenge, content, audio and visuals. It's the TOTAL package, not just part of a package. I also think Fez is better, Super Meat Boy is better, VVVVV is better, etc. There are many better 2D platformers, and none are content to just run in place. They innovate too.

I never will grasp how certain people can have such an unreserved love for NSMB, which is really offensively easy for like 2/3 of the game. Do you not like challenge or something? The last two worlds I can understand, they're the worlds that remind me of how great Nintendo can be when they put their mind on it. But to say it's better than the entire Gamecube library when it spends most of its time meandering in overly simplistic level design and gross visuals and whatever, I can't grasp that sort of love. It just doesn't jive with what I played.

I did forget windwaker and viewtiful Joe and pikmin 1 but the rest is forgettable. Re4 and the primes are better on the Wii so I'll take the Wii versions. people like me want Wii-esque software and there are a lot of us. I've probably played more brawl, wsr, and nsmbwii then I did the entire cube. Seeing nintendo trying to go for hardcore crap will not only suck for consumers like me but will put nintendo in the same boat they were in the cube days. like I said before hopefully they abandon pandering to a demographic that will never accept then anyway.

Whatever dude. I never doubted that we have different priorities, but you're just out on a special field all on your own. To reject such amazing games wholesale to replace with shallow, unrefined garbage like Wii Sports/Resort or whatever, it's not even something I can analyze. It's more unknowable than Quantum Physics to me.

gamergirly said:
Wow, these replies are taking up half the screen. Why don't we all agree to disagree? Lol

Are you on your mobile? Anyway, putting effort into posts is fun :)

Diablos54

There are a few games I left off only because I hate them so much I couldn't stomach to include them. Notably, even I couldn't bring myself to force Animal Crossing on the list ;)
Why would you put an N64 game on a GC list? :p

I did forget windwaker and viewtiful Joe and pikmin 1 but the rest is forgettable. I've probably played more brawl, wsr, and nsmbwii then I did the entire cube.
This is the worst opinion I've ever seen. I love my Wii, but this is just plain insanity!

v1oz

Fire Emblem
Super Mario Sunshine (I understand people are divided on this, but I loved the focused thematic and the gameplay was as good as ever: Mario's acrobatics were amazing when amplified by F.L.U.D.)
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (seriously one of the only time a gimmick actually worked)
Odama (ditto as above. Seems strange: When they're not FOCUSING on gimmicks, they can manage to make them work)
Chibi-Robo!
Pikmin 1
Zelda: Wind Waker (still the most beautiful Zelda game and one of the only games from this gen that STILL holds up visually)
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos 1/2
Resident Evil 4
Viewtiful Joe 1/2
Eternal Darkness
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime II
Timesplitters
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Beyond Good & Evil

And of course for some people, all the requisite Mario sports games or whatev. Gamecube was an amazing system, fuck yo couch.

NSMB was unsinpired dreck, at least the DS version, and the Wii version was yawn-worthy simplistic crap until the last two worlds (and maybe you can add in one level here, one level there from some of the other worlds). But even if you like it, I feel the entire package is important. I don't know why Nintendo feels they only have to put effort in one aspect of these games, but I suspect it's because people like you love making excuses for them.

NSMB might have been really memorable if they upped the challenge a bit and then added in a compelling visual style, just like the Mario series has always been known for. Mario games have always been reinventing itself visually, NSMB is the laziest, most unsinpired flash-game esque visual design in the series history. And the music! My god, fucking awful.

I loved the Gamecube. More than the N64. To me the Gamecube was a bigger success than the Wii from a gaming perspective.

It's completely possible to port a game to Wii U with 10-20 people from this gen or next, it would take as much as 2 years, so 100k X 10-20 X 2 is about what it would become for developers to port their games over @ 720p and some scaled down features (Wii U has a 2012 GPU feature wise inside the console, Antonz who works with the system said as much.)
Careful there. Just wanted to point out that "feature wise" doesn't mean much. Llano is DX11 compliant feature wise, performance is crap compared to some DX10 dedicated cards for example

Hiltz

Might want to also add Killer7, MGS: Twin Snakes, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, and Spider-Man 2. I hope Wii U has third-party support that's nearly as good as the GameCube's.

Amir0x

Banned
i guess, but once we get there then for me it's stretching. Killer 7 was unique but definitely had too many fundamental gameplay flaws to appeal to me, imo. Spider-Man 2 was great, although now we're getting into multiplats and I was trying to include only games that were best on GCN at the very least, like BG&E (according to Ancel that was his best version).

But I'd concede that perhaps, but Twin Snakes ... no way! Awful affront to the MGS series legacy, almost as bad as MGS4 in that regard.

I never actually got into Hulk... worth it, I suppose?

But all this proves is that there was a ton of variety enough to appease everyone, even if it didn't appeal to me. Animal Crossing was the casual fans dream, but they still had a plethora of games that appealed to all sets. Wii has significantly diminished that aspect of Nintendo. To me the reason Gamecube didn't succeed is because it didn't have a 'hook', or gimmick, to set it apart from Sony, who dominated so much with PS1 that people needed Nintendo to show them that they weren't going to be another N64. I think because they didn't distinguish themselves from PS2, and was outpowered by Xbox which also had the online hook, it was lost. NOT because, as DKHustlin likes to say, the games were crappy. The games were amazing.

Hiltz

Killer7 gameplay's was solid but decent (suffered a bit from repetitive gameplay and underused characters) but its story, music, visuals, and voice acting were ace.

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction nailed the feeling of playing as the powerful character and you could destroy a lot of stuff too. It does suffer from repetitive gameplay, but the extensive combat and upgrade system make up for it. Enemies I remember being quite aggressive and the boss battles were mostly good. The environments and mission structure could have used more variety.

I actually didn't care for Twin Snakes, but thought MGS fans may have. I ended up quitting the game after the second Sniper Wolf Battle due to the long-winded cut scenes, I just couldn't take it anymore. I thought it was a solid game, but didn't quite offer as much excitement as I expected out of it.

I agree the failure rate of PS3 is much lower than 360; 360 was rushed to launch. But the failure rate of PS3 is much higher than Wii.
I remember GameSpot once published such a data, difference between Wii and PS3 was some percents; 360 was a multiple of them combined IIRC

It's not really something you can disagree with: it's an established fact that the more advanced your technology is, the more cutting edge it is when it hits market, the more likely it is to have components fail on you. it's not like this is some hot debate, anyone in the technology market knows this to be the case :p
I can't disagree Wii being a gamecube didn't help it's decrease rate of failure :D

Of course I can. Of the Wii, I can only name 10~15 games exactly that I can stomach to play. I suspect I'd add Xenoblade to that list, but I sold my Wii right after Skyward Sword in disgust and didn't expect Nintendo to do something right for once. To me if a system cannot even manage to get 25 'can't-live-without' titles over the course of its life, then it's a very bad system indeed.

Yes, I know, this is personal preference, but between the horrendous motion gimmicks, awful graphics and generally B/C team development on the system due to the gulf in power the system had, the platform has been really really awful for me and nearly worthless.
I will discuss this later in my post.

But when I was describing the worthlessness of the hardware, I meant just that... the hardware itself. It is truly an awful piece of technology. When accumulating the worth of it vs. just the 360 hardware, that is what I'm discussing in its value proposition.
I find 360 before Slim or PS3@$600 peculiar case; but I will say this: if Slim is worth $200 or PS3 $249, wii should be under $99, probably lower; I understand your point and agree.

Now if you add games to the mix, it of course still wouldn't be close. I think my 360 library is like 36 games large, with about 25 of those I'd find impossible to live without. And that's not counting XBLA games, which would add another 20 at least.

The reason why I don't think the Wii is a total waste for me is because it (temporarily) revived the light gun game genre, which I adore.

As for Wii, as it stands in no particular order

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Muramasa Demon Blade
4. Metroid Prime III
5. House of the Dead Overkill
6. Dead Space: Extraction
7. Boom Blox
8. Mercury Meltdown Revolution
9. Endless Ocean
10. Super Paper Mario
11. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
12. Punch-Out!
13. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
14. Beat.Trip series

And a few other light gun games here and there, like Ghost Squad. And I think Xenoblade will be on this end once I play it when I get a Wii U.

I mean, here is a system in which virtually no RPGs (note: they only tried to remedy this very close to the end of its life cycle with Last Story/Xenoblade) or racing games of note came out. Even if you consider Mario Kart good (I stopped playing these because its iteration Nintendo creates more and more unbalanced weaponry that rewards shite players; but I did play Mario Kart online and did quite well, so it has nothing to do with skill. I simply hate rewarding garbage players with all those awful chance weapons. It used to be a good mix), the range of quality games in a huge variety of genres is extremely tiny. There's no denying this in my opinion, I feel it's fairly self-evident.
I totally see your point. I don't like Mario Kart at all either; I actually find both NSMB and MK boring; then I really loved DKCR, but the motion control feels so forced... NMH could be a really good game, but it wasn't; Twilight Princess was boring when I started it, was boring after putting 10 hours in it, didn't bother further; among Nintendo first party, I only liked Wii Sports Tennis, SMG and Wii Sports Resort. Metroid Prime is excellent , but I can't get myself to finish the first one, it gives me physical headache (I think it's because of the colors; I can't even watch Gears of War gameplay movies either).

However, there were few games I really liked too. SMG is the most intelligent game I have played this decade; Wii Sports Tennis was really a marvelous experience for the first time;

I'm not sure I understand. But if I think I get what you're saying. Yes, I think a better balance can be achieved and that this would fix a lot of the problems I had with the Wii. In fact, I think the Wii U will be more appealing to me from the get go, since its primary control scheme is actually very close to that of a traditional pad.

I am just saying that for me, Nintendo is not actually showing me that they've changed. They still seem to be putting very little effort into their products, focusing on casuals and generally being very unambitious.

As I said in the other thread, Nintendo Land was almost a self-parody level of shamelessness. Hey, it's another mini-game/party-game tech demo collection showcasing what the Wii U pad can do! But, hey, we're also going to whore our franchises at the same time!

It's very emblematic of why I have problems with modern Nintendo. If only they can put big budgets on brand new hardcore IPs, it would not matter to me at all if they made a million shallow casual games. I just think they haven't been, and their solution to everything is put Mario in it or whore out some other franchise. This is very depressing to me and I'll never understand why a certain segment of neoGAF continues to defend this practice. No one else could ever get away with it, and frequently doesn't in fact. Nintendo is releasing two different NSMB in under a few months, I mean!
Well, I meant it the other way around :p I wanted PS3/360 to be balanced this gen, so we could get another PS2 generation which lead to many new IPs, great games in niche genres, riskier titles, etc.

This gen, there was like 5 Wii game that got me interested at launch and since I hadn't owned a Nintendo console before, I went for it (for me it was: Atari and PC and Genesis and PS2 and Wii and DS); and now I think I have like 5-10 games I really like, probably less than you.

But what I really hated this genre, was that after almost 7 years, there are less than 10 games I am interested in outside of Wii and I am not sure if I will like them anyway:

MGS 4 (but lots of people say it is shit)
Heavy Rain (but Fahrenheit ending was so bad I puked despite the rest of game being really good)
GoW III (but I found even GoWII a rehash)
Lost Odyssey (but I find it hard to be even remotely as good as FF X)
Bayonetta (if the gameplay is even as good as DMC3, I will love it)
Vanquish (think the action can be really good)
Batman (think it can be a really good beat'em up)
Uncharted (I am pretty certain it is a boring linear shooter, but I want to make certain)

Now I am literally not interested in any other game and wouldn't even bother trying them if I am given for free.

---
I am strongly against high end systems, because this genre we didn't get anything like Jak & Daxter, Onimusha, Psychonauts, NBA Street, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, SMT series, FFX, Shadow Hearts, etc.; we are yet to be shown evena gameplay of The Last Guardian for fucks sake! Where's the GoW of this gen to push the boundaries of being scale?

But it was full of games we already would get on PCs anyway: CoDs, Mass Effects, Elders Scrolls, Max Payne, FarCry, Crysis, etc.

I am angry, because everyone is acted so stupid:

Nintendo made a good enough a console to sell millions; but it was so weak that HD games couldn't be ported to it, which meant any games made for other systems would lost a lot of its potential demographic due to being on Wii; not only this, they forced motion controls, failed at making a proper classic controller, and had a horrible online system. They also failed to even direct the development by using their 1st and 2nd parties

PS3/360: they got so caught up in the graphics and was launched at such a high price, that prevented publishers from taking risk and at the same time had to resort to games normally played on the PC market

---
I think there isn't really much to argue over; I think Wii had like 10 titles worth playing, you think so; I think HD consoles have 10 titles that may be worth playing, but you think there are lots of them; I think we have to disagree on this.

I personally don't have a problem with paying $500 for a console, but only as long as it gets enough games that I want to buy; but I guess another gen with $500 hardware, will totally destroy my hope for getting games I like.

TDLink

No when I say making excuses, I mean you obviously don't care if Nintendo puts effort into their products. You have an arbitrary line about what is important, and everything else can go to hell. At least, that's the interpretation I get. I don't know maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, to me it's not even close to the best 2D platformer. Rayman Origins is for me considerably better, both in level design, challenge, content, audio and visuals. It's the TOTAL package, not just part of a package. I also think Fez is better, Super Meat Boy is better, VVVVV is better, etc. There are many better 2D platformers, and none are content to just run in place. They innovate too.

I never will grasp how certain people can have such an unreserved love for NSMB, which is really offensively easy for like 2/3 of the game. Do you not like challenge or something? The last two worlds I can understand, they're the worlds that remind me of how great Nintendo can be when they put their mind on it. But to say it's better than the entire Gamecube library when it spends most of its time meandering in overly simplistic level design and gross visuals and whatever, I can't grasp that sort of love. It just doesn't jive with what I played.

I think he was saying NSMB was the first great 2D platformer in over a decade (ie, when it came out), not in the last decade. Of which I would probably agree. It re-energized the genre. Without it those others probably wouldn't have happened.

I'd also argue that there was a lot more effort put into first party products by Nintendo on Wii than on Gamecube. Gamecube era saw them outsourcing a lot of their work like SF Assualt to Namco or F-Zero GX to SEGA and new studios like Retro with Metroid Prime 1 and 2. A lot of the results of that were great, not saying no. Internally though their output was not as strong on the whole. Whatever you think of Super Mario Sunshine or Wind Waker (both of which I think were great) they were definitely different and departed from norms for those franchises. They also both were not as expansive as their successors on the Wii in terms of scope or depth, as great as I think both of them are. In general a lot of Nintendo's output on gamecube were smaller experiences like Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin.

KageMaru

The Wii U has architecture that will allow for porting to happen from next gen consoles. However, it is on the publishers to dedicate resources to do so. Right now, I doubt that's happening as much as Nintendo would like. It would be like running a PC game in low from high (with PC being Ultra of course), but it's possible.

While things are up in the air still, there is still the possibility that ports may require more work than your insinuating here if the ps4/720 were pushed hard enough.

NPD doesn't prove my comment wrong, all it proves is the PS360 is priced too high. Do you honestly believe the sales would be the same if the 360 was priced at $100?

Better yet, do you believe a $300 Wii-U would be better for the casual audience than a 360 or PS3? PS360 have motion options, a huge library with plenty of cheap games, and are likely to be cheaper than the Wii-U this fall.

I still can't think of one good reason why any company should put a major focus on the casual audience at launch, for many reasons.

DKHustlin

Nsmb is the best performer because the controls are perfect. You may not like the visuals but I'll take them over rayman because the game isn't crap. The secrets are good, the level design is awesome, abd it is pick up and play. It is the whole package but were just arguing opinions. Nsmb however sold way more than 3d sunshine abd galaxy so it shows that it is something people want that isn't available anywhere else. The cube just had no killer app, maybe melee but sunshine is easily the worst Mario game. I liked it, even loved it, but its the worst Mario by far. You seem to be mad nintendo ignored your niche taste with the Wii but that's cause they can't sustain a growing company on niche sales. if gamers really wanted hardcore nintendo they would have bought more cubes but they didn't.

NPD doesn't prove my comment wrong, all it proves is the PS360 is priced too high. Do you honestly believe the sales would be the same if the 360 was priced at $100?

Better yet, do you believe a $300 Wii-U would be better for the casual audience than a 360 or PS3? PS360 have motion options, a huge library with plenty of cheap games, and are likely to be cheaper than the Wii-U this fall.

I still can't think of one good reason why any company should put a major focus on the casual audience at launch, for many reasons.
The question is not whether 360+Kinect is better for them, but whether in reality they see it as a better product than Wii U. Wii U has the automatic advantage of a being a new system; it has the advantage of having a tablet; it also has the advantage of being compatible with all their Wii accessory and all the Wii games out there.

However, the real question is that if casual gamers are interested in buying a new system altogether?

RoninChaos said:
I get what Reggie is saying but my understanding was a lot of developers didn't work with the Wii for 3rd party multi platform games because they couldn't do ports. Isn't it a safe assumption that this is what will happen with the wii u? Especially with developers screaming about resources and money. Why would they out resources into developing on the wii u platform if it ends up being under powered compared to the next gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft?
To sell games to the Wii U userbase. Developing a multiplatform Wii/PS3/X360 game with Wii as base definitely makes the PS3 and X360 versions stand out as far behind other HD-only games on those systems, as we rarely saw with games like Samurai Warriors 3. The disparity shouldn't be nearly as great this time around, so to a PS4 game buyer the reason to choose a PS4/Durango-only game versus a WiiU/PS4/Durango game should be less.

KageMaru

The question is not whether 360+Kinect is better for them, but whether in reality they see it as a better product than Wii U.

Wii U has the automatic advantage of a being a new system; it has the advantage of having a tablet; it also has the advantage of being compatible with all their Wii accessory and all the Wii games out there.

The question is that, if casual gamers are interested in buying a new system altogether?

Well that all depends on how the companies market them and how they are presented by the retailers. Also, we're talking about casuals buying a new system, so of course they are interested in a new system. There's no reason to discuss possibilities over people that aren't even interested.

If Joe Shmoe walked into a store, which do you think would be an easier sell:

The Wii-U, just came out, has ~40 game at $60, and cost around $300.

OR:

The PS360, has 400+ games at various prices, and are likely cheaper than $300.

This is a market that doesn't care about specs, doesn't care about early adoption, doesn't follow games, are unlikely to be blindly devoted to any said company, and are the most likely to go for the best deal.

It's not easy to see how selling a brand new console to the casual audience is a stupid idea.

DKHustlin

Dude come on. It's not even the best 2D platformer on the Wii.

That honor, of course, goes to Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Sure but that was after nsmbwii. I meant preceding nsmbs release my bad if that was unclear. but even still nsmbwii Is better than the whole gc library. Hell, I'd say its better than the ps3 and 360 library as well.

TDLink

Sure but that was after nsmbwii. I meant preceding nsmbs release my bad if that was unclear. but even still nsmbwii Is better than the whole gc library. Hell, I'd say its better than the ps3 and 360 library as well.

Lolno. There is more to gaming than Mario.

The question is not whether 360+Kinect is better for them, but whether in reality they see it as a better product than Wii U. Wii U has the automatic advantage of a being a new system; it has the advantage of having a tablet; it also has the advantage of being compatible with all their Wii accessory and all the Wii games out there.

However, the real question is that if casual gamers are interested in buying a new system altogether?
Stop calling WiiU gamepad a tablet, that's expected from an oblivious by stander alien to the videogame world, not someone that actively posts in this type of message boards.

On topic, price is everything for the WiiU. Nintendo could clean if they release this at Wii price. Plus brisk sales would guarantee them more or less 2 years of ports.

If Joe Shmoe walked into a store, which do you think would be an easier sell:

The Wii-U, just came out, has ~40 game at $60, and cost around $300.

OR:

The PS360, has 400+ games at various prices, and are likely cheaper than $300.
It's really hard to say what Joe Shmoe would do, specially as long as we don't know what type of gamer he is; And maybe most importantly, we don't know how many persons are out there representing each type of Joe Schmoe:

Joe Schmoe

will NOT buy a Wii U, if he is:
a interested in better graphics
b core games at cheap prices
c a console to play online games with his friends
d playing core games but hadn't money to buy consoles
e is interested in controller free gaming

Will DO buy a Wii U, if he is:
a new experiences
b casual games at cheap prices
c playing local multiplayer games
d playing new casual/Nintendo games and have money
e is interested in GamePad off-tv play for games, netflix, etc.
f want to buy just something new as a Christmas purchase

we can of course add or remove categories to each of these, but the most important part will be identifying how many of them are in each category

DKHustlin

Lolno. There is more to gaming than Mario.

I like other games outside Mario but Mario is easily the most fun I've had in games.,nsmbwiiu looks to continue what I enjoyed so much and I hope nintendo goes after the fun ideal instead of the power ideal.

TDLink

I like other games outside Mario but Mario is easily the most fun I've had in games.,nsmbwiiu looks to continue what I enjoyed so much and I hope nintendo goes after the fun ideal instead of the power ideal.

You obviously don't like much if you honestly believe that it alone is better than the entire libraries of the PS3, 360, and Gamecube.

Also, because it's bullshit. People need to stop saying that consoles have desktop video cards. It's starting to become one of my pet peeves.

They do not BUT because of that very reason we do not know how powerfull the wii u truly is so people cant say that its under powered either.

TDLink

Everyone's favorite game has to be something.

Sure, but no one's favourite game is better than an entire library of a system put together. Even if it is the best game ever, those other platforms have enough good that cumulatively they could end up being better than that one game.

Stop calling WiiU gamepad a tablet, that's expected from an oblivious by stander alien to the videogame world, not someone that actively posts in this type of message boards.

On topic, price is everything for the WiiU. Nintendo could clean if they release this at Wii price. Plus brisk sales would guarantee them more or less 2 years of ports.
well, I think to people whatever that has a touch interface and has browser and also play games is a tablet; it fit most criteria :D (though the reason I call it tablet, is that writing GamePad is hard cause I HAVE TO capitalize it)

---
It is true that Wii U may not be much powerful than PS3, but it's not like that it is going to cost the same, particularly because of the GamePad which apparently is going to cost a lot.

Come to think of it, I think a lot posters here want the Wii U to be under powered.
A few people? maybe but not everyone, what sane people expect is that a defensive group of followers open their eyes and take a sweet breath of reality. The console is a step above 7 year hardware and not a significant leap.

I have to say, Nintendo's PR performance and media behavior during and after this E3 has been terrible. I honestly can't think of a time where they've been quite honestly, this incompetent and downright unprofessional in promoting themselves and a new product of theirs. First in 2011 and through 2012 they boldly proclaim "We're going after Core gamers!!! We want you guys on board too!!!" but then proceed to give those prospective customers an E3 conference with a heavy focus on a karaoke game, a Wii Fit game, and a glorified minigame collection. I don't care if you're a Nintendo fan, PS3, 360, PC gamer, whoever, that is just insulting behavior from a consumer standpoint and makes them look incredibly disingenuous and downright foolish.

And the fact they paid who knows how many millions of dollars to SpikeTV and MTV2 as the first big public unveiling of the console's launch debut just makes my head spin. What was the point? I can't even imagine how many of Spike's viewers alone would have even bothered sitting through the entire thing, surely both channels lost serious ratings that day during that time period.

Then after the conference (which Iwata diidn't even bother to come out on stage for), you have Reggie boldly insisting to Geoff that Arkham City IS a new game since it has add ons. And then in a move that is mindblowingly stupid from a PR standpoint for gaining enthusiasm and consumer confidence for a new gaming console, he tells IGN that third parties can basically just jump on board if they want to 'after they have an install base' (a line which he repeats AGAIN in this interview!).

Now we also hear Miyamoto flat out saying they're not concerned about having a competitive online service. Why am I supposed to care about Miiverse and the system's online infrastructure if they don't care beyond what they want in it? And with this interview, Reggie is again being all weird and combative, proclaiming GC was the winner in power last gen (seriously, what on earth?) and saying we didn't get Skyrim, ect. but we'll get them NOW because we have HD ect. Unless he's dropping names (which I seriously doubt as jealously as he guards info), that's some pretty bold smack to be talking and needs to be backed up by ACTIONS because it would be pretty sad if by saying that he just expects those parties to approach THEM at this point.

Honestly, what is going on with this company? One or two heads need to roll at this point. Unless there are some serious third party bombs dropped between now and launch, they've lost a ton of credibility that they will have to struggle to regain at this point, if they can.

The Wii U will probably have the best graphic 3rd party games for 1 year. Will it be graphically impressive enough to get people to jump on board, I highly doubt it. Once 720/PS4 are release, I don't doubt it will be back to similarly 360/PS3 vs Wii ports which won't satisfy HC gamers.

So, their hope is once again mostly casual gamers, but this time, I don't see them successful here either. The Wii remote was simple to pickup and play. It has intuitive and you don't have to people how to use it in Wii Tennis. Give them a Wii U touchpad, which is more complicated than a 360/PS3 controller, they are just going to not even bother.

JOEL.jpg

Are you for real? The same people who helped make the DS a huge success and who probably already also have had dual analog controllers in their homes for years won't bother with a dual analog controller with a classic button layout that also happens to have a touch screen or will think this concept is too foreign to be immediately grasped? Is this really the best argument you could think of? It's going to be funny looking back on posts like this in a few years if MS and Sony decide to make their own imitation touch screen controllers.

A few people? maybe but not everyone, what sane people expect is that a defensive group of followers open their eyes and take a sweet breath of reality. The console is a step above 7 year hardware and not a significant leap.

Sane people would but this is neogaf. Many posters play the behind the shadows fanboy wars. No one wants to get banned, but there are few that do.

TDLink

Well, it may not be a leap but I think it is probably more than the small step people are making it out to be also. PS3/360 were developed with 2005 tech. Wii U, as reports indicate, seem to be developed with 2009 tech along with some 2012 parts. That is at least 4 years of advancement of the technology that will be in the box. Plus we still don't have the final specs.

Linkhero1

Fire Emblem
Chibi-Robo!
Pikmin 1
Tales of Symphonia
Baten Kaitos 1/2
Resident Evil 4
Viewtiful Joe 1/2
Eternal Darkness
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime II
Timesplitters
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Beyond Good & Evil

IMHO I think Cube had a lot more better games than the Wii. I fucking played the shit out of Soul Calibur II.

Also the GC had Day of Reckoning 2 and Geist. Offline multiplayer was a blessing.

I myself find it really hard to believe if specially late ports like Batman and Mass Effect will sell on Wii U anything over few 100ks; but then I remind myself that RE4 sold "2m" on Wii;

IMHO I think Cube had a lot more better games than the Wii. I fucking played the shit out of Soul Calibur II.
well, it had a better control for such games to say the least...

They do not BUT because of that very reason we do not know how powerfull the wii u truly is so people cant say that its under powered either.

They should just never release specs. That way, even after release, we can speculate that nobody really knows how powerful the hardware is, and therefore it might really be pretty spectacular even if the software doesn't demonstrate that fact.

Top Bottom