• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Lego City could blow the franchise wide open/save the WiiU [Dont port beg]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

First image is a bullshot. Game doesn't run at that resolution, or with that clarity, so the textures wont look exactly like that. Second image is weirdly compressed, but I don't think there's anything all that amazing about the ground texture. Looks fine and from what I saw looks like that in-game.

Maybe we should wait for the lego games on ps4/720.

No need. The games can look better, if just in image quality and clarity. I'd say "it's not science" but in many respects it is! I don't really have an issue if people cant see the difference, or predict a difference, but the fact of the matter is they're wrong by the basic principles of 3D rendering. There's still much more we can do, and until LEGO games look like Pixar movies, there's obviously room to improve.

But really, the only thing that matters is what each individual is happy with.

CoolS

No off screen play, like ZombiU. Game looks pretty good. Nice lighting/shadows, and motion blur. Framerate seemed 30fps, some dips. Atrocious loading times, but it was a dev build so *shrug*.
About the loading times: when does the game load? Once at the beginning? In between missions? When changing areas?

How did you like the gameplay? Typical Lego or something else? And since some people are interested in that, how where the driving controls?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
No off screen play, like ZombiU. Game looks pretty good. Nice lighting/shadows, and motion blur. Framerate seemed 30fps, some dips. Atrocious loading times, but it was a dev build so *shrug*.

Another WiiU game with no off screen play. Well I guess I'll be passing this up as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There is a zillion things they could do to make the game look significantly better even with its chosen art style.

Not that I'm advocating for a PS4 version, I'm not, but the long standing myth that stylistic games don't benefit just as much from tech power as the realistic ones or whatever is just one that needs dying.

Current licensed lego games already look really good - they updated their engine a year or so ago and pirates of the Caribbean looks great. Maybe this is a little rough around the edge due to being open world.

I mean sarcasm can often be an effective way of getting a point across, but it's simply not right here. One need only look at the vast improvement stylistic games have received in every gen previous; or how far stylistic games are from the stylistic heights of other mediums. A simple way of looking at it is if people think game realisms goal is to be as 'photorealistic' as possible as the ultimate goal, then the possible combination of stylistic games height should be to match the visual splendor of, say, a real cartoon or CG movie (such as they are, to prove my point, there is not even a single stylistic game that even comes in the same fucking universe as any Pixar film or virtually any other cartoon of choice, and not a one of them have a realistic style or can be defined by a ridiculous thought like BUMP MAPPING LOL)

And then once we get to this obvious point, the only question is why anyone would think stylistic games deserve less power than any other genre.

I was just getting in on the fun like everyone else.

I'm sure on the PS4 the game would have improved IQ, longer draw distances, 1080p/60 fps, and better AA.

I was being a bit snarky since it doesn't really matter. It's not on PS4 and if we complain about that, we grow very close to port begging.

Another WiiU game with no off screen play. Well I guess I'll be passing this up as well.

I get that Off-TV play is a top feature for a lot of Wii U owners but when I see people say they won't buy a game without Off-TV, isn't it basically you saying that you don't want the GamePad to be used in interesting, innovative ways? ZombiU doesn't have Off-TV and it is probably the best use of the GamePad thus far, a lot of Nintendo Land can't be Off-TV, and Lego seems to use it in cool ways as well. Those games would have to be altered significantly (and become lesser experiences) to be Off-TV compatible.

Off-TV is a great feature but is that all you want the GamePad to be used for?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
About the loading times: when does the game load? Once at the beginning? In between missions? When changing areas?

Whenever you enter buildings. So like, the game has to load the interior of the police station as it's a separate "level" compared to the open world sandbox (which seems pretty large). It seemed to be loading between missions too, but that could have been because the early missions almost all require you going to the police station.

Loading times were well over a good minute. They were pretty damn bad. But yeah, the rep did note this was a dev build and that the load times would hopefully be improved in the final game.

How did you like the gamrplay? Typical Lego or something else? And since some people are interested in that, how where the driving controls?

I unfortunately didn't get a chance to play it for myself. My colleague was first to play, and we were stretched for time, so I didn't want to hog the controller for our website when there were a couple of other websites that needed to have a go. Fairs fair.

My colleague was pretty happy with it. He liked the first couple of LEGO games but has grown tired of them specifically because they're all basically the exact same thing with a new coat of paint / setting. He was hoping that Undercover wasn't a typical LEGO game but instead did its own thing, and he walked away with that impression.

Gameplay was very basic from what we saw, but we were aware of the fact we essentially saw the game's opening levels which are mostly tutorial based. Like, there's a whole system of puzzles/object using that requires you equip the right outfit/disguise that we never really saw much of. Each outfit has its own perks and abilities, and grants you access to new areas.

EDIT: As a side, a note on the nicer points of the graphics, the interior of the police station looked great. Like, the sun is shining through the big office windows, and the shadows they cast are all dynamic (as they should be). But it avoids that goofy effect some games have where characters and props are casting a different toned or sourced shadow to the lights. Here there's a really nice uniformity to the lighting and shadows, where it all looks like it's being cast from the same source, and blend into each other upon contact. It's not a new effect, but it made the interior of the police station look quite nice and clean.

The per object motion blur looks great too.

Game looks good, I'll buy it just to have something new for my Wii U.

Kinda like when I bought Lamborghini Challenge for N64. That thing's post launch drought was ROUGH.

EatChildren

Ouch. How long ago was this?

I have no idea how old the build is, but I saw this all earlier today (about four/five hours ago). This is Nintendo of Australia though, who do not get the newest builds of games until Nintendo, NOA, and NOE certainly have. Food chain and all that.

Thanks a lot. The loading does indeed sound atrocious, I really hope it wasn't the version that will ship and they toned the loading times done by at least half :/

Agreed. It's strange because loading times within Wii U games have been excellent. It's only been navigating the OS that's been slow.

EatChildren

Sorry, i'm a bit obsessed with jaggies. But how clean was the game? Decent AA?

From memory it had jaggies, but I didn't make a very good mental note of them sorry (which is odd, given how much time I spend dicking around with AA on PC).

EDIT: The loading was weird, and due to the mission structure I suspect it was because it was loading the entire game world. As in, you'd start in the police station, initiate the mission, and then the huge loading would occur as it took in the game world. Fingers crossed it's fixed.

From memory it had jaggies, but I didn't make a very good mental note of them sorry (which is odd, given how much time I spend dicking around with AA on PC).

EDIT: The loading was weird, and due to the mission structure I suspect it was because it was loading the entire game world. As in, you'd start in the police station, initiate the mission, and then the huge loading would occur as it took in the game world. Fingers crossed it's fixed.

Thanx. And yeah, let's hope the loading is fixed for the retail version...

EatChildren

Oh, and anybody familiar with classic crime dramas, like Magnum PI, Columbo, Dirty Harry, Starsky & Hutch, etc, is going to get a kick out of the cutscenes.

Amir0x

Banned
I was just getting in on the fun like everyone else.

I'm sure on the PS4 the game would have improved IQ, longer draw distances, 1080p/60 fps, and better AA.

I was being a bit snarky since it doesn't really matter. It's not on PS4 and if we complain about that, we grow very close to port begging.

Better everything, yeah. And better in the ways that matter in stylistic visual styles ;)

But I don't have any desire for it to come to PS4, since it was clearly made for the Wii U.

Current licensed lego games already look really good - they updated their engine a year or so ago and pirates of the Caribbean looks great. Maybe this is a little rough around the edge due to being open world.

I didn't say they were ugly (although i'd say 'looks really good' is stretching my definition), just that there's a zillion areas for improvement. We're not at the close to the top for stylistic games yet.

Tenki

image_52808_thumb_wide930.jpg

This is like the greatest thing ever.

tajd

Banned

NICE summary hope theyve fixed the loading times

i really am praying for lego turtles to be shown at e3

Bigjelly

Banned
Can this game be played off-screen??? - Edit Just read above me it doesn't... Shame and from what I heard the game doesn't use the Gamepad extensively anyway so they probably could have done it.

Maybe they will patch it

Effect

So we have a little over two weeks left before the game's release in North America. Anyone feeling positive about Nintendo actually giving this a push in terms of advertising leading up to it's release?

Personally I'm not regardless of the amount of trailers being put out. I would love to have my negativity proven wrong though. I just don't see NoA doing anything. Not even trying to hold an event at the Nintendo World Store.

However there is also the possibility that the game isn't as good as we're hoping it would be too. Maybe it's not worthy of the marketing push? Why even sign on to be publisher then if they weren't going to go the extra mile to make sure the game turned out well.

Coolwhip

Banned
So we have a little over two weeks left before the game's release in North America. Anyone feeling positive about Nintendo actually giving this a push in terms of advertising leading up to it's release?

Personally I'm not regardless of the amount of trailers being put out. I would love to have my negativity proven wrong though. I just don't see NoA doing anything. Not even trying to hold an event at the Nintendo World Store.

However there is also the possibility that the game isn't as good as we're hoping it would be too. Maybe it's not worthy of the marketing push? Why even sign on to be publisher then if they weren't going to go the extra mile to make sure the game turned out well.

Sadly so far noone has asked what Nintendo's involvement in the game was.

Maxrunner

I mean sarcasm can often be an effective way of getting a point across, but it's simply not right here. One need only look at the vast improvement stylistic games have received in every gen previous; or how far stylistic games are from the stylistic heights of other mediums. A simple way of looking at it is if people think game realisms goal is to be as 'photorealistic' as possible as the ultimate goal, then the possible combination of stylistic games height should be to match the visual splendor of, say, a real cartoon or CG movie (such as they are, to prove my point, there is not even a single stylistic game that even comes in the same fucking universe as any Pixar film or virtually any other cartoon of choice, and not a one of them have a realistic style or can be defined by a ridiculous thought like BUMP MAPPING LOL)

And then once we get to this obvious point, the only question is why anyone would think stylistic games deserve less power than any other genre.

So this is already in port begging mode?? typical on Nintendo threads where a potentially decent third party game pops up...

tajd

Banned

the game is advertized on eurogamer yesterday on the top of the website is crisis 3 today

added $100 to my eShop not even enough for what I want to get in March :(

but I'll get this over Monster Hunter if I have to

Oh, and anybody familiar with classic crime dramas, like Magnum PI, Columbo, Dirty Harry, Starsky & Hutch, etc, is going to get a kick out of the cutscenes.

I'm old enough not to remember any of the references even if I've seen every one of these shows

Taker666

Not really..to be honest I'd have thought they would have announced a bundle by now if they really intended to give it even a minimal push.

A bit of online advertising on gaming sites won't do anything (online ads are usually so intrusive that they actively put me off buying the product as the first thing the do is annoy you). If they want sales they need to blanket advertise on kids channels, a few ads in primetime..and have demo's up in all Walmarts and places that sell LEGO.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Can this game be played off-screen??? - Edit Just read above me it doesn't... Shame and from what I heard the game doesn't use the Gamepad extensively anyway so they probably could have done it.

Maybe they will patch it

it has scanning sections as zombiu, realtime communication on tha pad during overworld exploration and so on

no need to bash its lack of offtv feature (unlike the cave for example)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I get that Off-TV play is a top feature for a lot of Wii U owners but when I see people say they won't buy a game without Off-TV, isn't it basically you saying that you don't want the GamePad to be used in interesting, innovative ways? ZombiU doesn't have Off-TV and it is probably the best use of the GamePad thus far, a lot of Nintendo Land can't be Off-TV, and Lego seems to use it in cool ways as well. Those games would have to be altered significantly (and become lesser experiences) to be Off-TV compatible.

Off-TV is a great feature but is that all you want the GamePad to be used for?

One of the main reasons I bought a WiiU is to have the capability to play games Off TV. If the devs have constructed the game around the Gamepad in such a way that stops the ability to run the game Off TV then I'm not going to buy it. No matter how good it is.

As far as I'm concerned. Nintendo should have mandated that all games could be played using OFF TV.

BearPawB

Banned
From Jeff Gerstmann's tumblr:

Anonymous asked:
Have you had a positive experience with your Wii U yet? Most of the Bombers seem very cold on it, but I've been enjoying Mario U and ZombiU, plus look forward to checking out Lego City Undercover and NfS:MW in a couple weeks.

Jeff: I’m really interested in seeing Lego City Undercover, though I haven’t heard the greatest things about it from folks who have played it.

jmls1121

Banned
One of the main reasons I bought a WiiU is to have the capability to play games Off TV. If the devs have constructed the game around the Gamepad in such a way that stops the ability to run the game Off TV then I'm not going to buy it. No matter how good it is.

As far as I'm concerned. Nintendo should have mandated that all games could be played using OFF TV.

This is a very strange opinion. Do you buy games on other systems that don't have off tv play? (pretty much everything?)

I hope you're not a big fan of Nintendo's games. I have a feeling you may be missing out on a lot. We'll see.

Zarovitch

No.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

fortunately they didn't, otherwise all the additional experiences allowed by the gamepad would be impossible.

Joe Lee

I think this is the most excited I've ever been for a LEGO game. The LEGO games have certainly developed quite a following over the past few years and I think this would make a great addition to the lineup.

Top Bottom