• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate Review Thread

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Handheld Castlevania has returned, but is it any good?

I'm heading to sleep, so I probably won't be able to update again until the morning.

Reviews:
IGN: 4.7
Edge: 7
Eurogamer: 7
CVG 8.4
Godisageek: 8
GIGA: 8
Nintendo Life: 8
ONM: 92
GamesRadar: 3/5
GamesBeat: 25
EGM: 6.5
VideoGamer: 9
Game Informer: 8.5

Metacritic: Link

Excerpts:

IGN said:
The greatest shame with Mirror of Fate is that its heart is in the right place. As far as I can tell, MercurySteam did its absolute best to chart its own course with handheld Castlevania, one that borrows from the greatness that came before it, but without copying it outright. But in going off the beaten path, the studio ended up diluting what has made Castlevania so great in the last 15 years. Its emphasis on fragmented exploration and shallow leveling is the exact opposite of what Castlevania fans like myself love, want and have come to expect.

Stranger yet is the fact that Castlevania: Lords of Shadow got what Castlevania was all about a lot more than many people gave it credit for. But that understanding hasn’t at all segued to the Nintendo 3DS version. I beat Mirror of Fate in just under nine hours with an 88% completion rating, and it wouldn’t take me more than an hour more to get it up to 100%. I simply don’t want to play anymore, which should tell you all you need to know. Because even the worst of the GBA/DS Castlevania games are more than worth seeing to statistical completion, but Mirror of Fate isn’t worth playing at all.
Eurogamer said:
The specific toys that Mirror of Fate's characters wield give each act its own peculiar tilt, even if the basics of the combat never really change. Bosses, meanwhile, slowly grow reliant on camera stunts (some of which, when coupled with the 3D effect, are really lovely) and QTEs (which generally aren't lovely at all). It's a reminder that, as fighting systems go, Castlevania's isn't particularly deep, but it is punchy and bluntly thrilling. Even when creativity fails, you've still got a beautiful game to look at, stereoscopic 3D working with the golden glow of torches to turn the gothic real estate into little pools of light, each one depicting an artful tumble of stones, a lofty crenellation or the antic zap and fizz of an ancient laboratory bubbling away in dormancy.

Stones, crenellations, laboratories! Castlevania, for all its moody horrors, has always been a comforting sort of experience, and while Mirror of Fate might willingly fumble the classic structure somewhat, it's still got a touch of that familiar vampire-hunting charm to it - a charm that comes to the rescue whenever the developer's invention or polish fall short. This 3DS outing can't match the smart assurance of the first Lords of Shadow, then, but it remains a decent action game with some lovely art to keep it chugging along. It's something of a makeweight, as handheld games far too frequently are - but there's just enough here to satisfy until the true follow-up to Lords of Shadows is ready.
CVG said:
While it's not without its flaws, Mirror of Fate pushes the 3DS to its limit and packs an impressive amount of variety into its eight hours of gameplay (or longer, if you go back to attempt 100% completion to earn the right to view the final cutscene). Most importantly, it captures the sense of wonderment and discovery that all good Castlevania games should have, as the eerie secrets of Drac's abode unfold in front of you like a granite origami puzzle.

The 3DS scene has been as quiet as a graveyard over the last twelve months; a title of the scale and production values of Mirror of Fate can only give it a well-needed shot in the arm. Or should we say 'in the neck'? Superb stuff.

IrishNinja

happy for the fans of mercury's output, but based on LOS & the demo of this one, the series is kinda dead for me unless konami remembers how to make games again.

last gen saw dracula x chronicles, cv adventure rebith, and ecclasia, so i've still got some catching up to do, thankfully.

Glass Rebel

happy for the fans of mercury's output, but based on LOS & the demo of this one, the series is kinda dead for me unless konami remembers how to make games again.

last gen saw dracula x chronicles, cv adventure rebith, and ecclasia, so i've still got some catching up to do, thankfully.

DxC is obviously great but I was thoroughly surprised by Ecclesia. There's sadly no Vampire Killer whip but the glyph system was fun and the level design and enemy encounters are fantastic. Might be my favourite CV.

ankle-rocker

Neo Member
Honestly, aside from spin offs the Castlevania series has yet to disappoint me ever. I plan to get this for sure, maybe even day one today depending on my mood after work.
People dog on it, but when I was a kid I was thrilled with Simon's Quest. The fact alone that this game lets me play as my favorite Belmont again has me thrilled.
I thought the demo was really good. Gave me more than a few "Oh fuck yeah" moments during my playtime with it.

Hrm, not looking so hot. I actually meant to cancel my newegg preorder, but it already shipped. I'm a bit concerned about fuddy duddy platforming and the enemies being damage sponges, but hopefully it turns out better than I'm expecting.

Heartfyre

I watched about half a minute of the IGN review before I realised that it was trying to directly compare it to the older Castlevania titles. A fruitless endeavour, really: they are very different games to the Lords of Shadow series, and don't hold a direct comparison besides the first word in their titles. This just makes the game seem like a square peg in a round hole; if you were erroneously expecting something else, of course you're going to hate it. Did some of these reviewers think that, just because it's a handheld game, it was going to be a departure from the structures of the Lords of Shadow series?

Considering that the original Lords of Shadow is one of my favourite action games of all time, a game I enjoyed far more than any of the older Castlevania games, my pre-order stands. I recall the tide-swell of discontent from some circles at the launch of that first game as well.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The Pocketgamer.co.uk Review and the Nintendolife Review have sold me. still going to hold off for a bit then purchase after a price drop. (Luigi's and Nano Assualt are my wanted games for march)

Nibel

The thing is: everybody wants a Iga handheld Castlevania - for both 3DS and Vita

This is not what I want as a Castlevania fan and those framerate issues in the videos + demo put me off

MrT-Tar

The ONM score seems like a slight outlier. I saw it come up on facebook news feed and came here to check whether that was the general consensus. Reminds me of the time they gave My Sims for Wii 94%, Red Steel 91% and Monopoly Wii 91%.

miserable

The thing is: everybody wants a Iga handheld Castlevania - for both 3DS and Vita

This is not what I want as a Castlevania fan and those framerate issues in the videos + demo put me off

My thoughts exactly.The demo killed my interest in this game.

Bedlam

What's odd is how many reviewers (for example in the IGN review) suddenly acknowledge that Lords of Shadow was pretty Castlevania-ish, or at least more than people gave it credit for. I mean, that's something that I've always said but at the time reviewers were saying exactly the opposite. You can't have it both ways. Stand by your statements or think harder before making them! Stuff like that leads me to believe that IGN is wrong here again and in a few years we'll talk about this game as being a pretty good entry in the series and its main fault is not being exactly what people want.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
What's odd is how many reviewers (for example in the IGN review) suddenly acknowledge that Lords of Shadow was pretty Castlevania-ish, or at least more than people gave it credit for. I mean, that's something that I've always said but at the time reviewers were saying exactly the opposite. You can't have it both ways. Stand by your statements or think harder before making them! Stuff like that leads me to believe that IGN is wrong here again and in a few years we'll talk about this game as being a pretty good entry in the series. Its main fault is not being exactly what people want.

Hindsight being 20/20 and all

I don't. I'm not saying this game is a classic or anything but I'm glad Konami has moved on from Iga and is doing something different with the series. And I consider myself a very big Castlevania fan. I was tired of the slavish rehashing and worsening art style of Iga's games, and am glad to see an attempt at least to bring a little pre-SOTN Casrlevania back into the fold.

Moff

What's odd is how many reviewers (for example in the IGN review) suddenly acknowledge that Lords of Shadow was pretty Castlevania-ish, or at least more than people gave it credit for. I mean, that's something that I've always said but at the time reviewers were saying exactly the opposite. You can't have it both ways. Stand by your statements or think harder before making them! Stuff like that leads me to believe that IGN is wrong here again and in a few years we'll talk about this game as being a pretty good entry in the series and its main fault is not being exactly what people want.

thats not odd at all, its very usual.
people were hating on blood money for not being a real hitman game like silent assassin. now they're hating on absolution for not being a real hitman like blood money.

people were hating on dead space 2 for not being a real dead space, now they're hating on dead space 3 for not being a real dead space like dead space 2.

gamers are extremely conservative, biased by nostalgia and love to hate and bitch. no news there.

Amalthea

Banned
I had the impression that many reviewer called LoS true to the roots at first and the opinion of un-CVness became etablishef when the fans started complainig.

Bedlam

I had the impression that many reviewer called LoS true to the roots at first and the opinion of un-CVness became etablishef when the fans started complainig.
Nope. Go and read the IGN review of Lords of Shadow, for example. It opens with a paragraph about how the game has nothing in common with Castlevania except its name.

Sounds like they should have ditched the Metroidy exploration stuff altogether and just made a level-based action platformer like the original games.
Personally, I've played every one of the IGAvanias and I'm growing tired of the formula. I think Order of Ecclesia's more level-based set-up would have worked much better with more traditional platforming stages, for example.
Instead what we got were bite-sized Metroidvania levels... what happened to the death-defying jumps this series was once known for?

I was cautiously optimistic about this one - I didn't play Lords of Shadow and I'm not intending to, given that it seemed like they shoehorned the franchise into an existing game.
But with this game they had an opportunity to make a proper Castlevania from the ground up, and it sounds like they botched it.

Gonna wait and see what Giant Bomb's quick look does for me, if there's one forthcoming.
Don't like hearing the action is sluggish and don't really want QTEs in a Castlevania.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the impression that, apart from the framerate which I fully understand can bother many people, the most critized aspect of this game is that it's not a castlevania by Iga.
Had it a different name it would have better reviews.
Seems like a good game. Not a masterpiece, but something I could enjoy. I am only afraid that it could be too short.
What do they say about difficulty level? (sorry but I am at work and can't read all the reviews)

Every new Castlevania doesn't have to be a Metroivania. Folks need to get over that.

Super Castlevania IV is the best game in the series imo, so they need to do more of that.

Maedhros

Lol... different reviewers man. Maybe the one who did LoS didn't liked LoS.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Wow, 4.7? I thought the game was pretty good.

awaiting the kotaku article on what "xfranchise" can learn from mercury steam :p

sorry that was rather cheeky of me, seriously am glad people are enjoying it :)
i look forward to playing it, soon :)

Maedhros

Every new Castlevania doesn't have to be a Metroivania. Folks need to get over that.

Super Castlevania IV is the best game in the series imo, so they need to do more of that.

Metroidvania or Classicvanias, both of them are welcomed for me at this point. I just don't want more God of War/Modern Gameplay.

Top Bottom