• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate Review Thread

AIRic

When the 3DS eShop update with new releases? I want to buy it, but there's only the demo available right now?

Mupod

It's pretty hard to make a castlevania game that I don't like, I mean I enjoyed everything from the classic games to the SOTN-alikes to Lament of Innocence and Lords of Shadow. Not so sure about this one after the demo, so I'll hold off for some player impressions.

zroid

Banned
Ughhh I just don't know. The mixed reviews aren't making it easy to decide. I thought the demo was OK, but so many games this month, and I'm not even finished with last month's games. I don't know that I need a "just OK" game right now.

Colin is probably bitter because the game isn't on Vita. No seriously, don't you remember this? Why would they get the "IGN PlayStation Editor" to review Nintendo games? I wasn't impressed by the demo at all, but 4.7 seems really hyperbolic. The 2.5/10 from Gamesbeat is even more embarrassing.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Edge gave it a 7 so it isn't terrible. And they aren't exactly lenient.

And I love the LoS series and Castlevania so I'm still picking this up.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Colin is probably bitter because the game isn't on Vita. No seriously, don't you remember this? Why would they get the "IGN PlayStation Editor" to review Nintendo games? I wasn't impressed by the demo at all, but 4.7 seems really hyperbolic. The 2.5/10 from Gamesbeat is even more embarrassing.

bloody hell, that article is straight up fanboy drivel

He shouldn't have reviewed it for that very reason. Everything that isn't an Igavania or Classicvania is bound to get hammered by guys like him. What he really wants is to relive his childhood.

this is very true. It's pretty obvious this is a game that will be enjoyed by LOS fans; if you're a stubborn Igavania fundamentalist and all you want is to play a typical Castlevania, then you should avoid buying this

Bedlam

If you know anything about him you would know that he is a huge Castlevania fan and requested to do this review because of it.
He shouldn't have reviewed it for that very reason. Everything that isn't an Igavania or Classicvania is bound to get hammered by guys like him. What he really wants is to relive his childhood.

bloody hell, that article is straight up fanboy drivel
But he's such a big Castlevania fan!

Colin Moriarty said:
For better or for worse, Vita will be pitted against the Nintendo 3DS. But the comparison doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and even if you were to pit them against each other, Vita is still destined to sell better. That's because in addition to games (which Nintendo 3DS is still sorely lacking), it's also a much more powerful machine capable of doing a whole lot more than 3DS.

Colin Moriarty said:
Vita is therefore not only echelons ahead of 3DS in terms of games, but it's light years ahead of Nintendo's handheld in terms of tech.

Colin Moriarty said:
Even Nintendo, with its buttons and triggers and touch pad admitted that leaving off a second analog stick from its handheld was a huge mistake.

Colin Moriarty said:
When you combine everything the PlayStation Vita can do, it could easily make you wonder why it's been short-changed by many people in the gaming community. The Nintendo 3DS is certainly not going to take the Vita out with N64 ports and tired, worn series.
I can't believe they actually call this journalism. Even Fox News would blush.

I think I'll just replay OoE/Rondo and ignore this game exists

Having a fan of the series review a Mercury Steam game is asking for a horrible score.

prwxv3

Colin did not give the game a bad score because he likes the Vita more then the 3DS. Thats full on retard especially if you have listed to him on podcast beyond frequently. He was wrong about Vita and 3DS lol (but not about the power and build quality though)

zroid

Banned

I honestly didn't find anything particularly "off" about Colin's review. It's obvious he didn't like the direction of the game in general, and constantly drawing direct comparisons to earlier Castlevanias could be seen as misguided (or missing the point), but there appear to be legitimate issues with things like length, encounter design, and the growth system.

I'm not saying take his word as gospel, but it's one man's opinion, and it seems to have been justified reasonably well.

Ban Puncher

NfNOG.gif

Konami just ain't got big enough bags with dollar signs on them for glowing IGN reviews.

Takao

Banned
I played the demo and wasn't impressed. I didn't think it would get sub 50% scores from some outlets though, lol.

Colin Moriarty
Should Sony feel threatened by its competition? Sure. But Nintendo is the least of Sony's concerns these days.

That quote is just... Wow.

And essentially his reasoning for giving Mirror of Fate a 4.7 is "wahhhh it's not like the old games". That's good, Colin, you identified what it isn't. Now review what it is.

This was exactly what I thought when I watched the video review (and pointed out on the first page where I linked to that same article). To his credit, he wrote a crow article about how he was wrong about that, but I think that's because no one would let it dies and was still eating him alive in the comments section a full two years later.

Others on the review comments have the same sentiments:
Bull$hit!! the reason why this game got a terrible score is because moron moreorty is still butthurt that his precious vita is getting its a$$ absolutely destroyed by the 3ds and he'll be able "sabotage," if you will, the 3ds by giving it this god awful review, thus impacting sales, by how much is unsure, its no different than when miller reviewed zombiU. they should stick to having nintendo journalists reviewing nintendo games and sony jour. reviewing playstation games. its as simply as that. nuff said

And apparently, the devs took to twitter and called out Colin on his review:

The games directer has taken to twitter and is accusing Colin of false representation:

Quote from Twitter: @Enric_Alvarez IGN MoF review, or the fine art of reviewing a game without saying a single word about it... Please, read it.

prwxv3

How can you say that for certain when his track record suggests otherwise? The point is that "games journalists" should not be reviewing games if they have blatant agendas.

If you read his review for one he gives reasons and examples for his problems with the game.

kunonabi

I honestly didn't find anything particularly "off" about Colin's review. It's obvious he didn't like the direction of the game in general, and constantly drawing direct comparisons to earlier Castlevanias could be seen as misguided (or missing the point), but there appear to be legitimate issues with things like length, encounter design, and the growth system.

I'm not saying take his word as gospel, but it's one man's opinion, and it seems to have been justified reasonably well.

If he thinks the original LoS was a natural extension of Castlevania I wouldn't put much weight on his comparisons to CV to begin with.

Takao

Banned
If you guys actually listen to the Beyond podcast (I suggest you don't) you kind of get the picture that Colin actually doesn't like Vita. He's always negative, and says game xyz shouldn't be on it or something. Bringing up unrelated drivel makes you look worse than him.

Colin Moriarty

That quote is just... Wow.

And essentially his reasoning for giving Mirror of Fate a 4.7 is "wahhhh it's not like the old games". That's good, Colin, you identified what it isn't. Now review what it is.

No, the bad reasoning is: "wahhh, it's not like the old games, like SoTN".
I guess if SoTN would be released today, it would be killed with fire because no more whip, no more Belmont, and "it's not Castlevania lol".

Spiegel

Colin Moriarty shits on the Vita constantly, so please, stop with this fanboy nonsense and carry on calling him out for his awful review. Not because system wars.

Ding, ding, ding.

It's evident from Colin's review that he analyzed the game with SOTN/Igavania in mind. There's nothing inherently wrong with that; in fact, a great review does keep the legacy in mind. However, it's easy to fall into the reviewer pitfall of not actually assessing the quality of the game before you, but rather assessing the game according to what you want it to be.

prwxv3

This was exactly what I thought when I watched the video review (and pointed out on the first page where I linked to that same article). To his credit, he wrote a crow article about how he was wrong about that, but I think that's because no one would let it dies and was still eating him alive in the comments section a full two years later.

Others on the review comments have the same sentiments:

And apparently, the devs took to twitter and called out Colin on his review:

Did you just quote a hilariously terrible IGN comment and say that it has weight. lol

I dont agree with colin on everything and he can be wrong frequently but he does not give low scores because he has a agenda to belittle the 3DS

Ding, ding, ding.

It's evident from Colin's review that he analyzed the game with SOTN/Igavania in mind. There's nothing inherently wrong with that; in fact, a great review does keep the legacy in mind. However, it's easy to fall into the reviewer pitfall of not actually assessing the quality of the game before you, but rather assessing the game according to what you want it to be.

That's the problem. The review feels like the reviewer just has done the following:
"So... the combat ? It's not like SoTN. Bad."
"Music ? Not like SoTN. Bad."
"Design ? Not like SoTN."
And that's it. "The game ? Not SoTN. 4.7".

Did you just quote a hilariously terrible IGN comment and say that it has weight. lol

I dont agree with colin on everything and he can be wrong frequently but he does not give scores because he has a agenda to belittle the 3DS

To be honest... after reading this article, this kinda has clearly a preference, but hey, we're all human, so I won't put that in account. Also, what I see from the review is more like someone who disliked this not because it's on 3DS and not on Vita, but more like because he prefered to have a Metroidvania. I could be wrong.

Colin Moriarty shits on the Vita constantly, so please, stop with this fanboy nonsense and carry on calling him out for his awful review. Not because system wars.

That's not true, the guy loves his Vita. He just doesn't like how Vita is getting the shaft and he wishes it to be doing better. He spews venom toward Sony for not supporting it as much as he'd like, but that's not to be confused with how he feels about the ACTUAL device at all.

kunonabi

No, the bad reasoning is: "wahhh, it's not like the old games, like SoTN".
I guess if SoTN would be released today, it would be killed with fire because no more whip, no more Belmont, and "it's not Castlevania lol".

SotN was actually a good game despite the difficulty falling down a cliff early on.

I loved SotN and I'm one of the classicvania types who don't really like the Igavanias I still appreciate them as mostly well-made games even if I don't really play them.

He expresses several legitimate complaints in the review mixed in with his comparisons to the older games. Bosses not getting health back when you die is ridiculous regardless of the Castlevania name on the box.

Only because he has to. What is he supposed to, shower a dying platform with unconditional praise? Yes, the review would still be bad with or without his pro-Sony agenda. I do agree that you shouldn't review games in a vacuum, but he refers to previous entries in the Castlevania series in literally every paragraph. Baconsammy is 100% right.

prwxv3

Only because he has to. What is he supposed to, shower a dying platform with unconditional praise? Yes, the review would still be bad with or without his pro-Sony agenda. I do agree that you shouldn't review games in a vacuum, but he refers to previous entries in the Castlevania series in literally every paragraph. Baconsammy is 100% right.

Holy shit.

Bedlam

If you read his review for one he gives reasons and examples for his problems with the game.
Those comments about the combat system are probably justified and voiced in most other reviews as well. But Moriarty in his review is grossly misjudging past Castlevania games by looking at them through rose-tinted nostalgia glasses. His rant about boss encounters alone is pretty hilarious. Hell, the AVGN made fun of the incredibly lame boss encounters in some Classicvanias. And I brute forced my way through all of the bosses in SotN. The guys seriously needs to take a look at those games again.

SotN was actually a good game despite the difficulty falling down a cliff early on.

I loved SotN and I'm one of the classicvania types who don't really like the Igavanias I still appreciate them as mostly well-made games even if I don't really play them.

He expresses several legitimate complaints in the review mixed in with his comparisons to the older games. Bosses not getting health back when you die is ridiculous regardless of the Castlevania name on the box.

Oh no ! Don't misunderstand me ! I really loved SoTN ! And as I always said I'd always prefer a Metroidvania over Mirror of Fate. No, the reasoning was IMO, it was stupid to bash the game because it doesn"t share your ideal vision of Castlevania, or because it's different.

jgmo870

Banned
How can you say that for certain when his track record suggests otherwise? The point is that "games journalists" should not be reviewing games if they have blatant agendas.

There isn't any track record of him reviewing Vita games higher than 3DS games.

Colin is just a terrible reviewer, there's nothing more to it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
if the game was getting many low scores and just one or two high scorees, i would be paying more attention to the ign review and putting more weight behind it, but seeing as the game has a 7 from two of the harshest reviewers (EDGE and Eurogamer, they basically say the game it good but it's not a metroidvania) well that tells me the game is alright, so my interest is still there.

just the fallout from the IGN review lol

jschreier

Wait, what? If you die and restart against a boss, it still has the same amount of health it did when you died?

Bosses all have multiple checkpoints. So you might die halfway through a boss fight and restart at the checkpoint when he was at 3/4 health. That sort of thing.

prwxv3

I do think the score is a bit too low if the actual written review is anything is to go by. I hated the demo myself so I wont be getting it anytime soon. Plenty of other 3DS games coming out anyway.

As a longtime CV fan, I enjoyed the demo for what it was: something different. Would I have preferred an IGA-style sprite game? Sure, but frankly I think it's wrong to punish the game we got based on what we would have preferred.

If you play the MercurySteam games and just don't enjoy them on their own merits, then that's perfectly fine, but to totally dump on the game because it's "not Castlevania!" or didn't ape the IGA style then it seems a little childish to me.

Demo made me think the game was going to be about a 7. I will reserve judgement until I play the full game but some of these scores/reviews seem...punitive.

Top Bottom