• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

I hadn't considered that. Still kind of shitty though

Yeah. There is literally no feature I can imagine that would get me to buy a system that required me to 100% of the time rely on my internet and their servers. And I'm like you in that I was 360 exclusive this generation. If this is true MS will have decided I should go to PS4 next gen for me.

Your "dark narrative" has a lifespan of about 24 to 36 hours and is rapidly approaching that mark.

By this time tomorrow, it will be a hazy memory that everyone will have a good chuckle over because of the GIFs -- nothing more.

Don't believe it, we have 0 facts to go on about the Xbox Infinity and these anti used games and always-online rumors just keep surfacing all the time.
How do you think we'll get over this, if we have nothing else to talk about MSs next console?? They didn't even announce an announcement, we don't even have that to look forward to, so this will continue to haunt them until they make a move.

Has this been posted?

rixjoS6.jpg

Hahaha wow.

Frodo

Electricity goes out, yes. But I doubt that 10 years after I bought my vacuum cleaner they will shut the power grid.

Now, how long will those servers run, Microsoft?

So I have a few issues with this.

First let me say that I have wireless internet, so it is no problem for me to own, play this console... but

my issues are.

1) Everybody does not have internet where they live. You cant blame a kid that works hard and saves his money for a console, but his parents chose to live in a rural area with poor internet.

2) RROD.... remember that??? I dont have a ton of faith in running something 24/7 from microsoft... sorry, but I dont. I dont want to spend 400-600 bucks on something that could easily break. Thanks for offering to send it off and have somebody fix my stuff that I paid all that money for. When I drop cash like that... I dont want to send it in to be fixed... I want a new console.... period.

3) Seriously... I get being upset with people complaining or acting on speculation, but dude.. you signed up for the job. Learn to sugar coat stuff like this. No need to be an ass on twitter...

4) Even with decent internet.. it goes off from time to time... so I cant play games then?

I dont claim to know everything.. but I think this is a poor design.

24/7 connection/ power would be great say.. 5-10 years from now... just my two cents!

Replicant

But it still has to check in initially..... every time you start a game...

iEZWdExcGgpTs.gif

So this is what epic fail is like. At least know what you're talking about before opening your mouth.

Here's my PSN turned off:

K8ZDpLR.png

And here's free PS+ "The Cave" playing even without online connection:

0gbSNxw.png

nv75a19.png

DeviantBoi

MS' response will probably be to announce the date for the reveal of their next console. They should do this as quickly as possible to change the topic of conversation.

dookeh

Has anyone mentioned how always online would destroy competitive play? My local fighting game scene would have to go ps4.

Incoming "NeoGAF is a vocal minority."
Don't think that argument's going to fly... this isn't really confined to GAF. That's what happens in an "always online" world.

Honestly we shouldn't be surprised. Truth is when Xbox was originally pitched it was so by a group of people inside MS that were looking to make something that broke away from MS's corporate image and control.

Xbox 360 at the beginning followed that trend until certain people started leaving and being replaced by ones who adhered more to MS's philosophies.

The team in charge of Durango is nothing like the team that was in charge of Xbox and Xbox 360. Bkillian, who worked on the Audio hardware for Durango said those in charge now were akin to the ones in charge of another failed product he worked on, and it wasn't exactly a praise.

The Xbox division is now fully controlled by those who completely adhere to MS's corporate ideals, because since Xbox is now a full blown success MS's suits are taking full control and that's that.

Hell Steve Ballmer is the head of MS, and everybody knows he's responsible for MS's road into increasing irrelevance. Now that he sees Xbox as a true asset after the 360's success, he has his hands all over it.

So this whole debacle shouldn't come as a surprise in hindsight.

Don't believe it, we have 0 facts to go on about the Xbox Infinity and these anti used games and always-online rumors just keep surfacing all the time.
How do you think we'll get over this, if we have nothing else to talk about MSs next console?? They didn't even announce an announcement, we don't even have that to look forward to, so this will continue to haunt them until they make a move.

agreed... but damage control is there for a reason...

maltrain

MS' response will probably be to announce the date for the reveal of their next console. They should do this as quickly as possible to change the topic of conversation.

Exactly. They should do it TODAY for changing topics.

But, as I've said many times, they are not ready to do it.

The big thing will be when the media realises that your always online console is also always filming its environment with a 3D camera.

Train Wreck incoming.

RetroStu

Banned
If Microsoft do end up forcing you to go online, i wonder if they will have some kind of major 'sweetner' like say free Gold accounts for everyone?, nah who am i kidding!.

StuBurns

Banned
If Microsoft do end up forcing you to go online, i wonder if they will have some kind of major 'sweetner' like say free Gold accounts for everyone?, nah who am i kidding!.
Even if they did, that's hardly a sweetner, it just puts them inline with the other two not-always-online systems.

RPGamer92

Banned
"We've decided to raise the price of Gold to $99.99. Just think now that extra money can be used to pay for the components that continue make Durango the best with always-online connectivity!"

slider

Even if they did, that's hardly a sweetner, it just puts them inline with the other two not-always-online systems.

I keep thinking there has to be a sweetener but, for the life of me, I can't work out what it could be. It'd have to be something in terms of functionality. Adding to the gameplay experience aside from MP (cos as you note that's already out there for free).

Otherwise? Just ugh.

PBY

Banned
I keep thinking there has to be a sweetener but, for the life of me, I can't work out what it could be. It'd have to be something in terms of functionality. Adding to the gameplay experience aside from MP (cos as you note that's already out there for free).

Otherwise? Just ugh.
It could be price...

danwarb

If it was always online in that sense, it would put a huge dent in the user base established this generation. And be the only system to implement such a silly idea.

I'm definitely in if I only lose online functionality when a connection is lost. 360 was the best console last time out, but too many people don't have completely reliable connections.

It's the same where I live, pop ~100k. I'm pretty sure it's the norm.

Where do you live? Sorry if you've already mentioned it, I missed it and it's practical to sift through the thread to find the post in question.

Not surprised. AC4 needing a constant online connection is probably connected to the sea faring aspect. Perhaps a feature where everyone roams the high seas battling it out in a persistent multiplayer environment?

Seems always online is the new thing. Destiny, Watch Dogs, AC4, I'm sure there are many, many more.

Someone help me understand this.

The rumors say that they're using activation codes as well as checking to see if you're still connected to the internet. What I'm not understanding is why they would need always online if they have activation codes. Seems redundant as all hell. If the XBL account already shows that the game has been activated, what is there to check?

Activation codes only would make way more sense than whats currently being proposed. It would be just like steam at that point.

blackflag

iunno, the guy he was "trolling with" seems to agree that they do it all the time back n fourth
Na2Xkh0.png

but it was pretty stupid either way to be doing that....

I don't understand why they think it matters now if he was trolling or not. So many people seem oblivious to how PR and marketing works.

I'd say that the majority of regular posters on GAF have a better understanding than a lot of these other people.

maltrain

Just updated shinra-bansho list:

Top Bottom