• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop PS4 preorder reserve slots more than double of XB1?

My GameStop said they are able to order an unlimited amount of PS4s but only a certain amount of XBONES. I'm guessing that is bull shit but I was around the 20th person so I am hoping I can get a PS4 day one. We will see though..

Having drinks tomorrow night/morning with a dude who should be able to verify that (though he doesn't work for Gamestop, I'd imagine the stores he orders for have the same priority) but that wasn't the case last week. There was a "magic number" every store was getting allotted for both consoles. The Xbone number was significantly lower than the PS4 number, but the PS4 number was far from unlimited.

Hawk269

That's odd, because it's completely opposite of what the story is online for many of the largest retailers. PS4's outselling X1's, PS4 software outselling X1, etc.

Launch should be extremely interesting.

It is just the demographics at my local GS. They always have a much higher ration of 360 game releases vs. the PS3 versions of the same game. Based on what some of the others are posting here, the ratio is not too far off from each other. This only means that both are selling very well and this wont be a repeat of the 3DS, Vita or Wii U launch which as a gamer is good for all of us regardless on your stance/platform affiliation.

I personally have 1 of each unit on Pre-order. I am a gamer and a platform is just the delivery method to me. I really don't care if it says MS or Sony on it. As long as I get great games I will be happy.

I have a good friend that is a Manager at Gamestop and he informed me that so far, every morning they receive additional quantity to reserve for the PS4. He then said that normally around noon or so they get additional quantity for the X1. They did have one day where they did not get additional X1 allocation, but the next day they were allowed to have more.

He was shocked at how many they have been allowed to sell for both platforms and at this particular location he had more X1's than PS4's reserved (as of this morning). While I was there 2 people came in to pre-order, 1 was for the PS4 and one for the X1. He said they are getting a lot of calls and for his store it is a great sign that there is so much interest in both of the consoles.

It seems like each location is different because the other store in-town he told me had almost a 3:1 X1 over the PS4, but in his store it was a close with a bit more X1's, but nothing to make a big deal out of. The last thing he told me was that X1 pre-orders for games was much higher, which continues the 360's attach rate history and seems to be applying to the X1. Again, this is early, so not drawing any definitive numbers.

It is just the demographics at my local GS. They always have a much higher ration of 360 game releases vs. the PS3 versions of the same game. Based on what some of the others are posting here, the ratio is not too far off from each other. This only means that both are selling very well and this wont be a repeat of the 3DS, Vita or Wii U launch which as a gamer is good for all of us regardless on your stance/platform affiliation.

I personally have 1 of each unit on Pre-order. I am a gamer and a platform is just the delivery method to me. I really don't care if it says MS or Sony on it. As long as I get great games I will be happy.

Just curious...What city/town are you talking about?

Hawk269

Having drinks tomorrow night/morning with a dude who should be able to verify that (though he doesn't work for Gamestop, I'd imagine the stores he orders for have the same priority) but that wasn't the case last week. There was a "magic number" every store was getting allotted for both consoles. The Xbone number was significantly lower than the PS4 number, but the PS4 number was far from unlimited.

There was a magic number for both units, but it seems that both MS and Sony have told retailers to keep going. As I stated in my previous post, when a GS sells of pre-orders, usually within 24 hours they get a email that they can do a "few" more.

But just a warning as I have been in retail myself for a very, very long time. The pre-orders are NOT guaranteed for day 1. While GS is telling their stores to keep going by giving additional quantities, these are still just projections based on what MS/Sony is telling them. I have seen this happen before where a Store pre-sales "X" amount, but as launch nears that amount is reduced and some people are pushed to a 2nd/3rd shipment. If you got in early, I am sure that you will be fine on launch day.

Hawk269

What town do you live in?

Southern California. We have a ton of GS around here. The 2 locations I am talking about have historically been big sellers of Xbox brand stuff, much more than Sony. But calling some other stores a bit farther away (I know a lot of the managers), they are reporting higher PS4 pre-orders, but still a lot of X1 as well. Based on what I have gathered, PS4 is getting more pre-orders (approx. sample of 7 stores).

The smartphone is a huge success of converging technologies because there used to be no practical way to have basically a PC in your hand at any place.

MS's thinking is flawed because it is not inconvenient for me to click input on my remote and change between the cable box and my consoles. They literally thought they made the new smartphone and just didn't think if people wanted the convergence.

xn0

I stopped by my local Gamestop to pick up my copy of The Last of us. They confirmed what I read earlier in this thread is that Microsoft is seriously lacking units for preorders. My local store told me they are out of Xbox One preorders and have 3 PS4's left. In total they have 11 Xbox One's coming and 42 PS4's slated for release day. The clerk told me there is a lot of concern surrounding availability of the Xbox One on release day.

My local EBgames told me that their management had told them they would fill any allocation numbers they needed at that particular store. By the time I got there they had already over a 100 pre-orders for the ps4. During the transaction he mentioned they were barely getting any for the Xbone.

My local EB is getting 64 PS4 and 22 xbones. They told me there would be limited supplies for xbones after trolling me saying that they weren't allowing pre-orders for PS4, only xbone.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
So have we got solid information that this is a supply issue? I wouldn't think it was a demand issue because whether we like it or not MS / XBOX is a very popular franchise in the USA.

eastmen

Banned
Sony has said they haven't entered mass production phase so all these numbers for both companys are pie in the sky. Who knows what will be avalible at launch.

I suspect a lot of angry people finding out they wont get their system even launch month on both sides

I put my pre order in today. They ran out of pre orders yesterday but were allotted more today so I came in and purchased one. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Bookman

I talked to my local gamestop store in Umeå, Sweden. It's a pretty small business and you may not be able to draw conclusions from their sales, but they had more than double bookings for PS4

they also wanted to say hi to NeoGAF, so "hi" from gamestop Umeå

Tratorn

Gamestop.com Top 25 looks cool:

1. PS4 + KZ: SF Bundle + 2nd DS4
  2. PS4 + BF4
  3. PS4 + Watch Dogs
  4. PS4 + CoD: Ghosts
  5. PS4 + Madden 25
  6. XBox One + BF4
  7. XBox One + CoD: Ghosts
  8. DualShock 4
  9. PS4 + Madden 25 + Fifa 14 + NBA Live 14
  10. PS4 + AC4
  11. XBox One + DR3
  12. PS4 + NFS: Rivals
  13. PS4 + Knack + 2nd DS4
  14. PS4 + NBA Live 14
  15. XBox One + Ryse
  16. PS4 + DriveClub + 2nd DS4
  17. Watch Dogs (PS4)
  18. KH 1.5 ReMIX (PS3)
  19. XBox One + Forza 5
  20. PS4Eye Camera
  21. inFAMOUS: Second Son
  22. XBox One + Madden 25
  23. CoD: Ghosts (360)
  24. CoD: Ghosts (PS4)
  25. AC4 (PS4)

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=28-xu0,135

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

2. PS4 + BF4
  3. PS4 + Watch Dogs
  5. PS4 + Madden 25
  6. XBox One + BF4
  8. DualShock 4
  10. PS4 + AC4
  11. XBox One + DR3
  14. PS4 + NBA Live 14
  15. XBox One + Ryse
  17. Watch Dogs (PS4)
  18. KH 1.5 ReMIX (PS3)
  19. XBox One + Forza 5
  20. PS4Eye Camera
  22. XBox One + Madden 25
  25. AC4 (PS4)

WOW!

2. PS4 + BF4
  3. PS4 + Watch Dogs
  5. PS4 + Madden 25
  6. XBox One + BF4
  8. DualShock 4
  10. PS4 + AC4
  11. XBox One + DR3
  14. PS4 + NBA Live 14
  15. XBox One + Ryse
  17. Watch Dogs (PS4)
  18. KH 1.5 ReMIX (PS3)
  19. XBox One + Forza 5
  20. PS4Eye Camera
  22. XBox One + Madden 25
  25. AC4 (PS4)

Killzone: SF is getting it in on both Gamestop and Amazon. Guerilla must be thrilled!

GodofWine

Only going by all these various preorder sites, COD looks to be lagging vs the other shooters...they need to show some new MP action and soon. And it better be more than five minutes of chaos in a box.

Only going by all these various preorder sites, COD looks to be lagging vs the other shooters...they need to show some new MP action and soon. And it better be more than five minutes of chaos in a box.

tumblr_ll6fdf4dJO1qdrz3oo1_500.gif

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Yes he did. And we are talking CEO of SCE here. Guy knows what is up. They can afford to launch 2014 in Japan. People there are only playing 3DS anyway and it is not like the Xbox One will be much of a success there.

Would be nice, for once if U.S., U.K., and EUR. Got the system before Japan for once.

DieH@rd

Banned

2. PS4 + BF4
  3. PS4 + Watch Dogs
  5. PS4 + Madden 25
  6. XBox One + BF4
  8. DualShock 4
  10. PS4 + AC4
  11. XBox One + DR3
  14. PS4 + NBA Live 14
  15. XBox One + Ryse
  17. Watch Dogs (PS4)
  18. KH 1.5 ReMIX (PS3)
  19. XBox One + Forza 5
  20. PS4Eye Camera
  22. XBox One + Madden 25
  25. AC4 (PS4)

ibxP63IjYxoJvk.gif

B.O.O.M

I talked to my local gamestop store in Umeå, Sweden. It's a pretty small business and you may not be able to draw conclusions from their sales, but they had more than double bookings for PS4

they also wanted to say hi to NeoGAF, so "hi" from gamestop Umeå

Say 'hi' back at them as well :D

spwolf

My 360 was my favorite system last gen too. I'm still not getting an Xbox One, because it hates consumers, and I am a consumer. It's a pretty simple philosophy... I think, anyway

But as I said in another topic, there is no precedent for how bad things are right now with the Xbox One's disastrous unveiling. Not even $599.99 matches it. Either Microsoft has to drastically change policies to fix the course of the ship, or it will get destroyed by PS4. No system is going to win being aggressively attacked by Gamestop, Redbox, Gamefly and the full might of 90% of all game fans across the net, as well as every media outlet savaging the platform day after day.

after they get all these numbers from retailers, for pre-orders, I am thinking they will do big U-turn and change their policies completely.

there is still time to save this... once it launches like this, it will probably be impossible to change anymore.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
My sister works at a Gamestop in Florida, and she told me her store's allotment is 6 Xbox Ones and 20-something PS4s, so that seems to line up with most of the rest of the anecdotal evidence in this thread. She also said they've been told to not expect second shipments of either until January.

Jachaos

My sister works at a Gamestop in Florida, and she told me her store's allotment is 6 Xbox Ones and 20-something PS4s, so that seems to line up with most of the rest of the anecdotal evidence in this thread. She also said they've been told to not expect second shipments of either until January.

Oh boy if true. Hoping I'm in the launch batch. Would be bad not to have it by Christmas.

Sony needs to flood the market with as many systems as they can get out now and build up a commanding early lead on Xbone as much as they can.

Wonder if KZ: SF interest will help out mercenary. Sony should be pushing the hell out of the vita with remote play. Imagine a 599.99 bundle with 1 year PS+.

Frillen

"4th Quarter of 2013"

I'm guessing a late October Launch in Japan, an early November launch in NA, and a Late November/Early December Launch for Europe.

Late November or December for Europe would be a huge mistake for Sony. They need to get it out mid november at the latest, but best case scenario is late October. They really should do everything to get it out at least before CoD Ghosts comes out.

Hilti92

Says on EBGames.ca on the PS4 preorder page:
PlayStation 4 (Pre-orders taken after June 14 cannot be guaranteed for Day 1 pick-up) by Sony

quickwhips

I think everyone knows the PS4 will sell more than the X1 based on the locations that will be able to sell X1s from launch anyways. I don't think people who were going to buy X1s are going to magically buy PS4s if their friends get X1s so I don't think it will change much just that people might not get them at christmas like that would like.

OnFire331

2. PS4 + BF4
  3. PS4 + Watch Dogs
  5. PS4 + Madden 25
  6. XBox One + BF4
  8. DualShock 4
  10. PS4 + AC4
  11. XBox One + DR3
  14. PS4 + NBA Live 14
  15. XBox One + Ryse
  17. Watch Dogs (PS4)
  18. KH 1.5 ReMIX (PS3)
  19. XBox One + Forza 5
  20. PS4Eye Camera
  22. XBox One + Madden 25
  25. AC4 (PS4)

Wow, Playstation Domination.

All of this anecdotal information about sales and allotments is definitely interesting, but let's remember to take it as just that, anecdotal and a small sample size. The sales lists for gamestop online do not necessarily reflect their entire sales pool, let alone american retail as a whole. That goes for amazon as well.

So have we got solid information that this is a supply issue? I wouldn't think it was a demand issue because whether we like it or not MS / XBOX is a very popular franchise in the USA.

Supporting only 21 countries and limited preorder slots is a solid hint :p
So Edram problems or gpu problems because they did not clarify the gpu clock speeds.

AbeMC

Neo Member

2. PS4 + BF4
  3. PS4 + Watch Dogs
  5. PS4 + Madden 25
  6. XBox One + BF4
  8. DualShock 4
  10. PS4 + AC4
  11. XBox One + DR3
  14. PS4 + NBA Live 14
  15. XBox One + Ryse
  17. Watch Dogs (PS4)
  18. KH 1.5 ReMIX (PS3)
  19. XBox One + Forza 5
  20. PS4Eye Camera
  22. XBox One + Madden 25
  25. AC4 (PS4)

What exactly does this represent, sales?

OnFire331

All of this anecdotal information about sales and allotments is definitely interesting, but let's remember to take it as just that, anecdotal and a small sample size. The sales lists for gamestop online do not necessarily reflect their entire sales pool, let alone american retail as a whole. That goes for amazon as well.

IGN reported a 3:2 split in preorders in favor of the PS4 in the US. So while it's not as extreme as some anecdotes seem to indicate, it's a big difference as the US is the biggest Xbox market.

dorkimoe

i worked the launch of the 360 and ps3 and it was the same then too. But once the intial ps3's were gone, and we got restocked we never sold out again, they sat there for months because of the 599 price tag

Top Bottom