• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2013 (Sep 02 - Sep 08)

Glass Rebel

Matrix also developed Layton Brothers: Mystery Room and was, judging by their site, in some capacity involved with the last expansion for Final Fantasy XI, Seekers of Adoulin and Final Fantasy Tactics S. And some smaller smartphone games. Wikipedia says that they have 86 employees, which would be enough for a 3DS/Vita game but the official site doesn't mention anything so...

duckroll

I agree that It seems a little far-fetched to me to make 4 Heroes of Lights sales responsible for the lack of FFV or FFVI remakes on handhelds. For one I'm sure that everyone involved in the project knew that it was a rather weird and experimental project (... and in the end a rather flawed one), but more importantly: If 4HoL sales were so disappointing that SE lost confidence in their FF handheld efforts, then why is their one (non-DQ) 3DS RPG a (spiritual) successor to that one game in particular? That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

Even with the sharp drop in sales, FFIV still sold a lot better than most other games in Japan -- and I can't imagine that Matrix' services are particularly expensive...

The answer is probably that there is no remake of FFV and FFVI for the same reason why there is no remake of FFVII. Because no one at S-E really wants to make it. While potential profits play a part in the business, being a creative industry the best efforts only happen when someone really cares enough to take charge and make it happen.

FFIII happened because Tanaka was interested in remaking the game on the DS. FFIV happened because Tokita saw that FFIII was successful and decided to give it a go for his game as well. Bravely Default happened because even though Tokita lost interest after 4WoL, Asano was still interested in the idea of an oldschool style FF series on portables, so he found new partners.

If someone with enough seniority in S-E wanted to make a full fledged FFV and FFVI remake on portables, it would have happened already. Since it has not, we can conclude that no one wants to. Games don't just get made because they're good ideas that consumers want, there also needs to be people there to actually make them. It's probably the hardest answer for fans to swallow when they want a game which no one wants to make, but I think that's often also the reality behind why certain "obvious" projects don't happen.

Glass Rebel

opening up old half life 3 wounds there, duckroll

I guess with Ito working mostly on iOS stuff there's not many people interested in revisiting V and VI. I think that part of the frustration also stems from the fact that they somewhat acknowledged remakes of these titles back in 2010 (although very vaguely) and that the GBA got all of them. Maybe they'll demote Kitase after being indirectly responsible for XIII so he can do some smaller scale stuff :p

Oregano

Clicking through the MobyGames page suggests a lot of Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time design staff got moved to Lord of Arcana at one point and then unknown from there.

I don't have FFXIV 2.0's credits handy to check my suspicion.

What about their other MMO? I would assumed that they went to the Dragon Quest X team due to their experience on Nintendo platforms.

BriBri

Sorry for all the eShop updates but the current top five all-time 3DS sellers are now:-
1. Animal Crossing
2. Pokémon AR Searcher
3. Denpa Ningen no RPG
4. Charisou DX
5. Monster Hunter 4

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
That's apparently the same amount they gave two weeks ago. I don't know how many download cards have been shipped, but I guess the combined number of physical copies won't be too far from 1,5 million units. They'd better have a big second shipment ready for next week.

Capcom was aiming for a 2 million shipment for September but that number could change like many times before. Download cards and direct downloads will do their job again like New Leaf.

zroid

Banned
Sorry for all the eShop updates but the current top five all-time 3DS sellers are now:-
1. Animal Crossing
2. Pokémon AR Searcher
3. Denpa Ningen no RPG
4. Charisou DX
5. Monster Hunter 4

got damn. what's its raking on the all software (including vc, etc) chart?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Has anybody ever been able to figure out roughly how much more money comes in via a direct download sale versus a retail sale? For example if Nintendo ends up pocketing $10 out of the retail sale of Pokemon after all is said and done, but they pocket $30 out of the digital sale of Pokemon? (Those numbers are just examples to clarify my question)

casiopao

I'm honestly more surprised by Denpa being so successful.

Well, it is a great game with more light hearted atmosphere+capturing character gimmick which can be popular for kids. Not to mention, the gameplay which a bit like Dragon Quest.

All of the winning formula is there lol.^_^

Nibel

Has anybody ever been able to figure out roughly how much more money comes in via a direct download sale versus a retail sale? For example if Nintendo ends up pocketing $10 out of the retail sale of Pokemon after all is said and done, but they pocket $30 out of the digital sale of Pokemon? (Those numbers are just examples to clarify my question)

I would be interested in this as well

Anth0ny

1. Animal Crossing
2. Pokémon AR Searcher
3. Denpa Ningen no RPG
4. Charisou DX
5. Monster Hunter 4

Another reason why I don't think MH4 can hit 2 million first week on Media Create. Digital is bound to eat a ton of sales. Why wait in a line when you can chill at home and just download that shit?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet comparisons, September 14th 2013

[NDS] Pokémon Diamond/Pearl - 613pt + 460pt = 1073pt
[NDS] Pokémon HeartGold / SoulSilver - 673pt + 558pt = 1231pt
[NDS] Pokémon Black / White - 1120pt + 973pt = 2093pt
[NDS] Pokémon Black 2 / White 2 - 667pt + 576pt = 1243pt
[3DS] Pokémon X / Y - 638pt + 634pt = 1272pt

[PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki - 40pt + 30pt = 70pt
[PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki - 38pt + 37pt = 75pt
[PS3] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - 26pt + 33pt = 59pt
[PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - 26pt or less than 26pt + 26pt or less than 26pt = 52pt or less than 52pt

Riki

Another reason why I don't think MH4 can hit 2 million first week on Media Create. Digital is bound to eat a ton of sales. Why wait in a line when you can chill at home and just download that shit?

If it hits 2 million for both combined, though, we'd likely know quickly.
Nintendo or Capcom won't keep that news under wraps.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

They will sell what they ship to the retailers this week - regardless of the strong eShop performance.

btw. Denpen is in the Alltime top 3 ? Must have sold a ton of copies, congrats.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

It's because there are two SKUs of the PSV version as well. Since they're both outside of top 20, I put 26pt as highest result possible for both (since the 20th is at 26pt), and then 52pt as highest result for the two combined.

duckroll

It's because there are two SKUs of the PSV version as well. Since they're both outside of top 20, I put 26pt as highest result possible for both (since the 20th is at 26pt), and then 52pt as highest result for the two combined.

If something is not on a chart, why would you count it at all? :p

[PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - 26pt or less than 26pt + 26pt or less than 26pt = 52pt or less than 52pt

Wait why are there two versions of LoH games? Collectors Edition or something?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Matrix also developed Layton Brothers: Mystery Room and was, judging by their site, in some capacity involved with the last expansion for Final Fantasy XI, Seekers of Adoulin and Final Fantasy Tactics S. And some smaller smartphone games. Wikipedia says that they have 86 employees, which would be enough for a 3DS/Vita game but the official site doesn't mention anything so...
Most of Square Enix's old contractor studios do mobile for them now.

Hand is also a good example of this: http://www.hand.co.jp/en/works/

It stuck out to me that Silicon was doing BD, but since they wanted it to be externally directed (less resource drain) while still being good and their old partners are all making mobile games for them, it makes a lot of sense.

Oregano

Most of Square Enix's old contractor studios do mobile for them now.

Hand is also a good example of this: http://www.hand.co.jp/en/works/

It stuck out to me that Silicon was doing BD, but since they wanted it to be externally directed (less resource drain) while still being good and their old partners are all making mobile games for them, it makes a lot of sense.

I believe SE owns shares in Silicon and they contributed to the luminous engine. I might be misremembering but I think they were directly involved with the software side of the 3DS itself as well.

I believe SE owns shares in Silicon and they contributed to the luminous engine. I might be misremembering but I think they were directly involved with the software side of the 3DS itself as well.
Silicon has a side business as a middleware developer. They made a post on the PlayStation Blog about Yebis 2, "a real-time post-processing lens simulation middleware", which SE used in Agni’s Philosophy and the FF XV trailer.

BriBri

The latest update on the all-time 3DS eShop charts:-
1. Animal Crossing
2. Pokemon AR Searcher
3. Denpa Ningen no RPG
4. Monster Hunter 4
And Zeer0id - including Virtual Console and DSiWare then Monster Hunter is #5 with Super Mario Bros. at #3 in-between Pokemon and Denpa Men.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Hi Neogaf :) First post lol

What's everyone's expectations of MH4 sales potential? 1.5 million sales?

P.S. Might be a dumb question but how does one upload a picture as an avatar lol? Thxs

P.S. Might be a dumb question but how does one upload a picture as an avatar lol? Thxs

Welcome. :)

To upload an avatar, go to "Control Panel" at the top left corner of the page, then look on the left and you'll see "Edit Avatar" and take it from there. :)

BlackJace

Welcome. Uh I expect around upwards of 3 million.
And to upload pictures for an avatar, go to the control panel (the cog icon) and click on settings.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Those line pictures are great! It's nice to see how huge this game is.

For Monster Hunter 4, I'm expecting around ~1.4 million in the week. Digital sales are definitely going to affect it (considering it's already the 4th most sold title on eShop). 3DS hardware I expect around ~200k; there's already quite a big Monster Hunter userbase on the platform.

Capcom gives exact sales figures for their 1m+ sellers, so we will know how well it did compared to Portable 3rd regardless of the retail/dd ratio.

Welcome.

Road

Why no comparison for Wind Waker HD?

*searches for it in the top 20*

Oh...

I guess people will buy the American version on eShop early.

Those line pictures are great! It's nice to see how huge this game is.

For Monster Hunter 4, I'm expecting around ~1.4 million in the week. Digital sales are definitely going to affect it (considering it's already the 4th most sold title on eShop). 3DS hardware I expect around ~200k; there's already quite a big Monster Hunter userbase on the platform.

Digital sales aren't the cause here, they are a consequence: There's no stock -> people buy cards or on eShop.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Thxs guys@1stcourse, Blackjace and Hero_of_Legend!

@BlackJace - I was talking first week sales lol Should of made it more clear.

Next week should be good. Are shipments still confirmed to be 1 million by Sinobi or more?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

While not directly related to your question, on the note of Silicon Studios, we do know what they're doing currently:

Siliconera said:
I remember you said you were going to take a break from developing games after 3D Dot Game Heroes, but then I saw Bravely Default with Silicon Studio’s logo on it. That was a surprise. Are you developing any more games?

TT: Yes, but I can’t tell you what those are. We have one 3DS title, a PS3 title and a Vita title is also coming.

---

Is Silicon Studio adapting their middleware for smartphone use as well

TT: Yes, we have already ported our middleware for smartphones. You can run the Paradox Engine for smartphones and tablets.

*engine sales pitch*

TT: We are going to release the beta version in probably around June or July timeframe. We are also developing a sample game ourselves to showcase it.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/1...re-enixs-luminous-engine/#5dQPJmx3oRhbKd9U.99

So far we know:

iOS: Monster Tact
3DS: Bravely Default: For The Sequel (and I'm assuming for now this is the target for BD2)
PS3: ?
Vita: ? (They imply this is separate from the PS3 game.)

1. Animal Crossing
2. Pokemon AR Searcher
3. Denpa Ningen no RPG
4. Monster Hunter 4
And Zeer0id - including Virtual Console and DSiWare then Monster Hunter is #5 with Super Mario Bros. at #3 in-between Pokemon and Denpa Men.

Don't worry. Now there are only four more updates to come anyway. :p

1. Animal Crossing
2. Pokémon AR Searcher
3. Denpa Ningen no RPG
4. Charisou DX
5. Monster Hunter 4
HAHA, WOW, lol!

zroid

Banned
1. Animal Crossing
2. Pokemon AR Searcher
3. Denpa Ningen no RPG
4. Monster Hunter 4

That's monstrous. I can't wait to see how the Pokémon games fare. Their chart placement will get neutered somewhat by being split into two games, though.

Top Bottom