• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contributor: Reviewers Reporting Frame Rate Problems With 'CoD: Ghosts' On PS4

TheMan

so after all the bullshit that is "resolutiongate" (what a fucking dumb name), we find out that the game doesn't even run steadily in order to maintain that extra resolution that the vast majority of consumers will never notice in the first place. great.

Disappointing. Hopefully the frame rate holds up OK in squads mode, that's what mode I expect to play the most anyway. I don't care too much about hitches during the silly campaign.

studyguy

Jeremy Conrad just said 2 minutes ago on twitter that COD Ghosts on Xbox One has worse framerate drops than PS4.

I am on mobile and cant post it, if someone could.....

Sounds more like Activision and whoever makes up IW really just phoned it in for the next gen if that's the case...

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know about you guys but I'm loving the lead up to the new consoles. Everyday brings some new drama. It's all so much fun.

fallagin

so after all the bullshit that is "resolutiongate" (what a fucking dumb name), we find out that the game doesn't even run steadily in order to maintain that extra resolution that the vast majority of consumers will never notice in the first place. great.

Apparently framerate runs worse on xbox one.

This thread is a graveyard.

This call of duty is a disaster... for everyone. It's a disaster on SLI Titans, it's a disaster on the PS4 and it's a disaster on the xbox one. Fighting over who it is less of a disaster for seems silly. Fighting until you get banned, however, is awesome.

Paches

Jeremy Conrad just said 2 minutes ago on twitter that COD Ghosts on Xbox One has worse framerate drops than PS4.

So COD is just a completely technical disaster all around? Good to know, I can now continue playing BF4 happily.

nib95

Banned

Just so you know, Guerrilla Games did an internal focus test, and considerably more people noticed the difference between 720p and 1080p than they could between 30fps and 60fps. Let that sink in for a moment.

https://twitter.com/ManaByte/status/397865975724249088

Link to post for anyone who wants to see it, mentions it at the end.

720p and worse frame rate drops lol. That's why Microsoft has embargo'd the Xbox One version's reviews lol.

Guymelef

From the Xbox One video.
ibz4KQ3aABtCnT.gif

Here is what Jeremy Conrad just posted on twitter, maybe someone could post a pic of the tweet. Make of it what you will.

"People say 720p isn't a big deal compared to 1080p, but a FPS drop from 60 to 50 is reason to not buy it (PS the 720p game has worse drops)"

EDIT.. Thanks PotionBlue and SwiftDeath for posting it, im on Mobile.

Here is what Jeremy Conrad just posted on twitter, maybe someone could post a pic of the tweet. Make of it what you will.

"People say 720p isn't a big deal compared to 1080p, but a FPS drop from 60 to 50 is reason to not buy it (PS the 720p game has worse drops)"

Why am I not surprised. This game is a shit-show all around.

coldfoot

Banned
It should be quite obvious that Ghosts is an unoptimized piece of crap. It's probably too rushed and too ambitious of a project. It should not have any issues running on 1080p on the Xbone, since the graphics are last-gen, and it should not have horrible dips in frame rate in PS4 or PC with SLI Titans (lol). All the evidence points to an incomplete, rushed game on all platforms.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Just so you know, Guerrilla Games did an internal focus test, and considerably more people noticed the difference between 720p and 1080p than they could between 30fps and 60fps. Let that sink in for a moment.
I swear there was a study linked here a few months ago that showed people preferred higher framerates to higher resolutions. I remember it because it immediately made me wonder whether that's why they'd moved Halo to 60fps.

sTaTIx

Anything that isn't 60 will look like crap when the game mainly runs at 60, it's jarring and obvious. Especially if it's dropping 1 frame every 10-20 frames. That's a tiny loss per second but in terms of movement impact, it's huge.

Actually, my experience of toying around with framerates in game consoles/config files has shown me that anything above 40fps looks fluid enough to be mistaken for full 60fps, at least for a brief period of time. It's when you get down to ~35fps and below where the difference in fluidity from 60fps really becomes jarring and noticeable.

That's why most people mistakenly think COD runs at locked-60fps 100% of the time, when it actually doesn't. It can drop down to 50 or 40fps for short clips, and most people are none the wiser.

subrock

This thread has me on pins and needles. I keep thinking someone is going to use the wrong form of bias/biased.

I'm okay with framerate dips early in a console generation. At least we know its possible to have solid 60fps at 1080p when the tools and the learning curve level out.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
I can't say I'm surprised that this game sees functionality issues on every platform.

It's really all I can expect from Activision. Milking their franchises with as little effort put into the reoccurring titles as possible.

I was watching a video earlier on Ghosts and I swear I saw assets from the original MW in there. Again. I haven't picked up a CoD since MW3, and haven't bought one since MW. Thank the stars I have a brother who's willing to let me borrow his stuff.

The worst part about all this is that Activision is going to be swarmed in sales and money regardless.

Garjon

This is not a surprise really. You don't put a universal embargo on your console just because it launches a week later in one region.

It sounds like IW/Activision seriously bit off far more than they could chew. To be fair, creating 6 versions of a game in a short space of time with no experience of two is not easy but the development process of this game is disastrous. To look this bad on new platforms and to run at a good clip, not to mention the ridiculous PC RAM specs is just unbelievable.

Hexa

Wouldn't that be breaking some NDA?

Jeremy does't give a fuck.
Seriously though, he already broke something or other (to confirm the 720p vs 1080p IIRC) and followed that by commenting on how he wouldn't be getting into anything from Activision anymore, so at this point he probably doesn't care and it probably isn't a legal issue for him.

WolvenOne

The sad part is that the game really doesn't look like it should demand to be in 720p on the XBone hardware or dip on PS4 hardware. Or have such stupid PC requirements.

IW fucked up.

I'm inclined to Agee with you on this one. I was shocked this title was 720p on the X1, and shocked it is having frame rate issues at 1080p.

The title doesn't look that much better than the 360, version, so both platforms should be knocking it outof the park.

Top Bottom