• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata Asks unreleased interviews translated

TheMoon

@Kagoshima_Luke

I have PDFs of all of the official English ones in my Dropbox, and I've started going through the Japanese ones, only to realize there's actually quite a bit on that Wikipedia page that isn't clearly listed as not translated.... I'm still going through to figure out what still needs to get done.

I could share all the English PDFs with everyone - what would be the best way to do that? Would Dropbox hold up with lots of people connecting to it, or is there a better alternative?

if you maybe don't wanna use your dropbox you could go with one of those free filehosters like mega.nz or zippyshare.com - I doubt the PDF collection file size exceeds their limits.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys,

The latest one just went live - this time from the marketing department discussing the Wii/DS Software Search Stations they used to have in stores all over Japan.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to do this. I'm enjoying reading these interviews.

The Software Search Stations are/were an interesting idea. On a somewhat related note, I (like many people, probably) always felt that Nintendo make the kind of games that benefit greatly from the customer getting some actual playtime before buying.

Hey guys,

We've got another one up! This time for an obscure, Japan-only title called Kikitrick.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/43169/iwata-asks-in-commemoration-part-7-kikitrick

It's a hearing game made by an even more obscure 3rd party developer, in conjunction with Yoshio Sakamoto and his team.

By the way, I know some of you are interested in having access to all of the PDFs that I made to archive all of the Iwata Asks, so you can find my Dropbox link to the English ones below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jwrlo49wn7e400e/AACtUO3adqTH_Gbym80o2mjKa?dl=0

I went through what I thought was all of the Iwata Asks on Nintendo.com, and then realised that there were in fact some I missed when going through the list on wikipedia, so there are some dupes. Hopefully now I have the complete collection of English translations, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'd also eventually like to archive all of the Japanese versions as well, so hopefully I'll get to that eventually.

Thanks again to Matt for another great update. Wow, Iwata even did an interview for the wifi adaptor? Nobody can say the man didn't care. :)

SalvaPot

I love this bit:
Iwata - Afterwards, when Sakamoto-san was listening to the music he’d give this bizarre criticism like, “it’s intense”, and on top of all that, if he was presented with something more stilted he’d say, “it’s still got its underwear on” (laughs), or so I heard from Shiba-san during “Iwata Asks”. Did you understand what that even meant, Ito-san?

Itou - Yes, I read the back and forth between Nakamoto-san and Shiba-san when the email was forwarded to me, and it did indeed say “it’s still got its underwear on”.

Attendees - (laugh)

Iwata - That doesn’t seem like the kind of thing you’d read at work, in a work email (laughs).

Itou - Right (laughs).

Iwata - And to a woman that could be borderline sexual harassment (laughs).

Itou - But I actually said it myself. “How far on is the underwear?”

Attendees - (laughs)

Iwata - … right.

Hey guys,

The latest one just went live - this time from the marketing department discussing the Wii/DS Software Search Stations they used to have in stores all over Japan.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com...ration-part-5-the-wiids-software-search-guide

@TheMoon
Thanks for the suggestions for the file sharing sites - I'll check those out and get back to yoU!

This is hysterical.

Cqz3xgvWgAABgIs.jpg:large

Cqz2oXsWEAAVXzw.jpg:large

casiopao

This is hysterical.

Cqz3xgvWgAABgIs.jpg:large

Cqz2oXsWEAAVXzw.jpg:large

Lol. That really shows how underappreciated Nintendo there for trying to bring games to everyone regardless of their ages or demographics.

It is always a nightmare trying to explain something totally new to people who had zero understanding on those subjects.And the fact that Nintendo had succeed multiple times bringing games to the casual friendly market is something i really loved for them.^_^

EVH

The next Animal Crossing spin-off should be a dungeon crawler.

I want to live in a world where Animal Crossing was a dungeon crawler.

The setup is even already there. You can enter Resetti's "home" through the manhole. How much more perfect can it get?

I guess one could play the Pokemon RPG spinoff games?

I find so fucking sad that "dad comes so late that cannot be with his kids" mentality that is always present in this interview...

Hey guys,

Hope you've all been doing well! We put up the next one - yet another obscure Wii title called "And-Kensaku". This one was made in cooperation with Google!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/43299/iwata-asks-in-commemoration-part-9-and-kensaku

Although probably irrelevant to everyone - I originally thought I just had another 3 or 4 Wii articles to translate until I had translated everything, but I finally decided to compare and contrast what I had versus what was listed on the Japanese Iwata Asks list (not just the list on Wikipedia), and it turns out there's a LOT more that still haven't been translated.

By my count:
14 for 3DS
10 for DS
2 for Wii U

And I'm about to go through all of the Wii ones now.

So all in all, I'm gonna be translating for a while yet. ^^;

Cheers,

M

casiopao

Hey guys,

Hope you've all been doing well! We put up the next one - yet another obscure Wii title called "And-Kensaku". This one was made in cooperation with Google!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/43299/iwata-asks-in-commemoration-part-9-and-kensaku

Although probably irrelevant to everyone - I originally thought I just had another 3 or 4 Wii articles to translate until I had translated everything, but I finally decided to compare and contrast what I had versus what was listed on the Japanese Iwata Asks list (not just the list on Wikipedia), and it turns out there's a LOT more that still haven't been translated.

By my count:
14 for 3DS
10 for DS
2 for Wii U

Cheers,

M

Tx for the hardwork there. It is always nice to see more Iwata's work.T_T Man, i am tearing here.

TheMoon

Hey guys,

By my count:
14 for 3DS
10 for DS
2 for Wii U

Cheers,

M

Huh, i don't even know what this one is! At least I can finally find out :D

PtM

Banned
Hey guys,

By my count:
14 for 3DS
10 for DS
2 for Wii U

Cheers,

M
You're the hero we don't deserve.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hey guys,

By my count:
14 for 3DS
10 for DS
2 for Wii U

Cheers,

M

Thanks very much.

Ulthwe

Thanks for your hard work ! Translating Iwata's interviews makes me miss the man so much.

I'll keep an eye for the EX Troopers one, as I'm currently playing it and there's barely any info post-release on the game.

Hey guys, thanks for reading, and I'm glad you're enjoying them!

I'm finishing up the one for DQX Wii, and was thinking of continuing on with more DQ since some people are hyped for VIIs release, but I could also jump on EX Troopers next. (Directed by Ampo-San! He's a real nice guy and also programmed RE1!)

If anyone has any preference for what's next feel free to post it. Already have a long one for the NHK quiz game and DQX ready for posting as well.

All righty, we just need an edit on the DQX one for Wii and that will be ready to go live. I started translating the one for DQVII on 3DS tonight (that hasn't been posted anywhere already, has it?), and if we're going to continue on with DQ after this, there's still these DQ related Iwata Asks that haven't been translated:

3DS
DQ Monsters Terry's Wonderland

DS
DQ IX

Wii U
DQ X (looks like they did a separate one for the Wii U release)

Also, just FYI, here's the remaining titles that haven't been translated yet that I'm aware of:

Wii U
Nintendo x Joysound Karaoke

Wii
Yoshio Nakamoto x Hironobu Sakaguchi
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Meteoroid Prime 3 (I'm tempted not to translate this one since the MDB already has)
Zangeki no Reinlev
NHK Kouhaku Quiz Battle

DS
Samurai-San Asks - Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon
Little Charo (an English learning game)
"Creating your Own DS Guides"
Tomodachi Collection
Pokemon Typing DS
Fire Emblem Shin Monshō no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyū
Rhythm Heaven Gold
Personal Trainer: Walking
The Workings of Things and Money (collaboration with the Nihon Keizai Shinbun(

3DS
Cyldecept
Tomodachi Collection New Life
Bravely Default
Ex Troopers
Hatsune Miku
Love Plus
Monster Hunter 3G
Project X Zone
Rune Factory 4
Samurai Warriors VS
Sekaiki no Meikyuu IV
"3D Flower and Animal Illustrations"

If anyone sees any on here that you know there's already a translation for, by all means let me know so I don't end up doing it. ^_~

Cheers,

M

@MUWANdo

Banned
but I could also jump on EX Troopers next. (Directed by Ampo-San! He's a real nice guy and also programmed RE1!)

I think this is already being worked on by PepsimanGB (here, tumblr) / iiotenki (twitter). I recommend you hit him up: he's a great translator and quite possibly the biggest EXT fan on the planet (and he's also done some recent work for Capcom, as it happens).

Also, just FYI, here's the remaining titles that haven't been translated yet that I'm aware of:

Wii
Yoshio Nakamoto x Hironobu Sakaguchi

DS
Samurai-San Asks - Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon
Fire Emblem Shin Monshō no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyū
Rhythm Heaven Gold

3DS
Bravely Default
Samurai Warriors VS
Sekaiki no Meikyuu IV

If anyone sees any on here that you know there's already a translation for, by all means let me know so I don't end up doing it. ^_~

Sakamoto x Sakaguchi and Rhythm Heaven DS were translated for Nintendo UK's website.

Sakurai Asks Fire Emblem was officially translated for the old Shadow Dragon website--I think it's down now but I'm sure one of the fan sites has it mirrored.

Shin Monsho no Nazo, Etrian Odyssey 4 and Bravely Default all have fan translations.

If that Samurai Warriors game is the first one (Chronicles?) then I think it was also officially translated.

Read a few of these over the afternoon. Great, great stuff, and the translations are very much appreciated. Thanks for all your hard work.

pHand

If that Samurai Warriors game is the first one (Chronicles?) then I think it was also officially translated.

I think he meant Dynasty Warriors VS, which was never released outside of Japan. It was notable for having Link and Samus costumes. I wonder if that's what first made them think of doing Hyrule Warriors together?

Here's the interview: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/interview/creators/vol16/index.html

Some interesting tidbits in there, including the origin of the name, Omega Force.

meppi

If anyone has any preference for what's next feel free to post it. Already have a long one for the NHK quiz game and DQX ready for posting as well.

I'd love to see the Zangeki no Reginleiv one.
Been hoping for years to see it translated, ever since I imported the game and fell in love with it. :)

Thanks for all the replies! I'll sort through and see if what you guys mentioned were all the same Iwata Asks. For the Sakamoto x Sakaguchi one... I could have sworn that there were actually 2 different interviews, and 1 of them was translated but the other wasn't.

Having recently gotten into Dragon Quest, I'd love to see the Iwata Asks for DQ Monsters Terry's Wonderland since the GBC version was the only DQ I played previously and I was surprised to learn it had a 3DS remake.

Ulthwe

I think this is already being worked on by PepsimanGB (here, tumblr) / iiotenki (twitter). I recommend you hit him up: he's a great translator and quite possibly the biggest EXT fan on the planet (and he's also done some recent work for Capcom, as it happens).
I looked around and didn't find any Ex Troopers Iwata Asks translation, by PepsimanGB or otherwise.

gypsyOtoko, just translate what you feel like doing, we understand it takes quite some time and dedication.

PMS341

I have wanted an Animal Crossing RPG for so long; reading this is as eye-opening and interesting as it is heartbreaking.

Seriously though - Animal Crossing + Fantasy Life makes too much sense. Just trim the fat a bit and go from there.

Sakamoto x Sakaguchi and Rhythm Heaven DS were translated for Nintendo UK's website.

Sakurai Asks Fire Emblem was officially translated for the old Shadow Dragon website--I think it's down now but I'm sure one of the fan sites has it mirrored.

Shin Monsho no Nazo, Etrian Odyssey 4 and Bravely Default all have fan translations.

Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the replies and kind words! I did some Googling, and did indeed find official translations of Walk with Me!, Sakamoto x Sakaguchi and Sakurai Asks. There is a Rhythm Heaven one with Tsunku that hasn't been translated officially.

I'll have to do some digging to see if I can find all the fan translations everyone's talking about.

Since DQ VII is coming out soon, I think we'll do all of the DQ ones in succession - we'll post X for Wii this week, and I'm almost done with the one for VII, so that will go up next, hopefully a couple days before VII is released in the West! I'll then continue on with Terry's Wonderland.

Just FYI - translating one article isn't that time consuming - I translate one "page" (ie - one linked page of a full Iwata Asks for any particular title) a night, which usually takes between half an hour and an hour. I'd love to do more, but between my day job and taking care of my daughter I only have about 3 hours of free time a day anyhow. ^^;

More FYI - at present, assuming I don't translate anything that's already had another fan translation, we're looking at another 170 "pages" or so - so at my current rate I won't be completely finished for another 6 months! ^^;;;;

Anyhow, thanks again for reading - I hope everyone enjoys them!

Cheers,

M

Ulthwe

Don't sell yourself short gypsy :) Translating the DQ ones makes sense, the time is right.

And family is first! Take care of your daughter, they grow so fast.

Top Bottom