• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maldita Castilla EX - "The grandson of Ghosts 'n Goblins" (PC, Xbox One)

yurinka

100% recommended. I completed the original version, but can't wait to get the improved version for PS4.

It's a really amazing game, and like the other games made by Locomalito & Gryzzor87 it really feels like a classic old-school arcade.

Fun fact: all the enemies are inspired by Spanish mithology and legends. Locations are also inspired by real places from Spain.

I had this in my to-play list after finishing The Curse of Issyos from the same developer. Didn't know there was an upgraded version, added to wishlist.

Ganondorfo

Why isnt this game as popular as Axiom Verge or Inside. It looks like a great spiritual successor to Ghost N Goblins, which was huge during the Nes and Snes era.

Fox Mulder

Yup. Shame that it's one of those titles that went by unnoticed and was quickly forgotten about; Maldita's expertise in game design didn't deserve this.

Console indie treatment in 2016. A million fish in the sea. No demos, no hype, no marketing.

This game looks amazing, had no idea it existed and was released on the xb1 months ago.

Mechazawa

Shiiiit, never even heard of this 'till before today. The glowing impressions in this thread and the Steam sale timing make it a no brainer too.

Nice job on the bump.

1upsuper

I finished my first playthrough of this with a friend today. This game is a real gem. I love it! Of course, I got the worst ending, since I only got two tears and used way more than 4 continues.

Now, does anyone know the requirements for the other three? Here are my guesses:
Get all five tears with more than four continues, get all five tears under four continues, and skip some tears but finish in under 4 continues. Am I right?

Also, I think I only found the locations for four tears but locked myself out of two due to
dying with keys.
Does anyone know where they all are?

galvatron

Decided to try to play this on my MAME candy cab. Got it going at 480i with some flicker that I could limit with tweaking v-hold. I then got the idea that maybe it just runs at the desktop resolution and used quickres to switch my arcadeVGA into to 320x240. Flicker was gone and the game looked great, but only on video mode 2 stretched via h-size and v-size knobs on my monitor. Other video modes introduce emulated scanlines or nasty scrolling artifacts due to scaling.

Totally worth the asking price for the gameplay, as well. Definitely dropped more money into worse arcade games in my youth :D

Fhtagn

I am enjoying this game but I have a couple gripes:

Compared to GnG, the chest system is too rigid and you can get stuck at a check point with no weapon options between you and a boss.

One said check point kept throwing me back to a fun but tedious section before the boss that I had to redo over and over again before I could learn the boss timing. The ratio of fun to tedious grew towards the latter the more times I had to redo it.

Those negatives aside, it's quite good and I'm glad I bought it.

Knuf

Don't know if this deserves a new thread, but I've just got an email from Play-Asia in which they announce they're doing a limited physical release of Cursed Castilla EX.

GA.05165.0002.jpg

More info available here.

1upsuper

Still so salty I missed out on the physical copies for NA. Ugh. I can't keep track of all of these two minute window releases.

The checkpoints are just too far apart for me, combined with the difficulty I get too frustrated and don't want to go back to it/redo a whole bunch of stuff.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Did they add some stuff to the 3DS release? I seem to recall hearing there were some changes that weren't present in the EX release on other platforms.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Did they add some stuff to the 3DS release? I seem to recall hearing there were some changes that weren't present in the EX release on other platforms.

Stereoscopic 3D is the big addition. There's also a "coin-op mode" but I'm not sure what that means, exactly--I think they're referring to the arcade cabinet-style UI that lets you mess with dipswitches on the touch screen.

Yes Boss!

Did my part and bought it again.

3D looks great. They have less screen options (no scan lines) but no biggie since the 3DS screen itself gives the image a very pleasing quality.

Same great game, just now handheld!

wgiVasi.jpg

As someone who loved 8-bit Killer and died so much in Hydorah, I really want to support Locomalito. The game's Spanish mythology themes also make me wish for more games which show us developers' national heritage, history and culture. Forget Crysis, I want to see some games from Crytek that feel unabashedly German! Same for Ubisoft and France.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Not yet, but I won't be surprised if it comes over eventually. And I'll buy it a third time.

The roadblock for a lot of potential ports is that Switch doesn't support Game Maker, so they have to be ported from scratch; Abylight just got done rewriting this game for 3DS so you'd have to imagine it's already prepped for Switch but it's still a big hurdle for lots of other games/developers.

womp

I grabbed it for the PC just at the start of the new year off Steam on sale and it's an awesome game. I'd grab it for 3DS but I think I will wait it out and double dip on a future hopeful Switch release instead.

In the meantime, he's some gameplay footage I took of the PC version if anyone is interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqGX4EtF-94&t

Regiruler

I got this on 3DS. Solid game, I love the work that went into the interface (and the border artwork, as well as artwork in general, is great).

The arcade mode has such tiny adjustments and goes hand in hand with the bottom screen interface in terms of immersion. I won't spoil how to activate it but it should be pretty obvious if you poke around.

I have to give a shoutout to Brian Altano on NVC. Despite the shit I give them about not reviewing games, I hadn't heard about this game until last week's episode.

Top Bottom