• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wipeout: Omega Collection | Review Thread |

Notes: Online untested in a few reviews. Looks like most are reviewed using Pro system. Scroll to bottom for notes on Load Times and HDR

Metascore: 84

The Games Machine. Score: 9/10

Playstation Lifestyle. Score: 9/10

The Sixth Axis. Score: 9/10

God is a Geek. Score: 9/10

Gamesradar. Score 4.5/5

Video Chums. Score: 8.8/10

IGN -Italy. Score: 8/10

Metro GameCentral. Score: 8/10

Game Frog Score 8/10

Digitally Downloaded. Score: 4/5

Trusted Reviews. Score: 4/5

Push Square. Score 7/10

Eurogamer. Score: Recommended

Eurogamer- Italy. Score: 9/10

Destructoid. Score: Review in Progress (pending online. Good so far)

PS Nation. Score 9.5

Vandal (Spanish). Score: 8.5/10

PSSite.com Score: 9/10

Zwame (Portuguese)- 9/10

M3 Score: 9/10

Load Times

From Playstation Lifestyle Review

But being on the Vita had its drawbacks – criticism of the game included long loading times. On the PS4 with its laptop-class hard drives, loading times are quite fast, and now it seems that the game can be played in its ultimate form, on the big screen.

and from

The loading times are quite fast, regardless if you start a new race, change campaign or retry a race. This goes for HD/Fury and 2048.

HDR

Gamesradar on HDR:

"Lucky enough to own a TV that supports HDR? Then good news: I've never seen a more compelling use of the format. Up until now, high dynamic range has never really convinced me. Even in Uncharted 4, I thought switching it on merely made scenes a teensy bit brighter. Not Wipeout Omega Collection, though. Turn on HDR here, and everything pops. Colours are more vibrant in an instantly appreciable way, the dappled rays of sunlight that gently thaw Sebenco Climb's snowy hairpins glisten so hard I can almost feel my corneas tanning, while the contrast between light and shadow as illuminated billboards pierce through the night sky on the likes of 2028's helter-skelter Metro Park looks sensational. Alongside Horizon: Zero Dawn, this is the best advert for upgrading to a 4K TV and PS4 Pro I've seen"

I really don't understand that 7/10 considering one of the complaints was that it was too familiar lol. You're getting 3 remastered games for $40 (max) and one of those games was a 30fps vita game.

I don't remember similar complaints for TLOU remastered even though that was a much smaller leap and like a year after the original came out.

Another fantastic game for Sony, sadly I can't afford to scoop this up at the moment but will one day as I enjoyed the games on ps3.

I really don't understand that 7/10 considering one of the complaints was that it was too familiar lol. You're getting 3 remastered games for $40 (max) and one of those games was a 30fps vita game.

I don't remember similar complaints for TLOU remastered even though that was a much smaller leap and like a year after the original came out.

Yeah, kind of weird. You thought a remaster was going to not be familiar? Okay then. Overall good scores. Will go out tomorrow and buy.

Doing better than I'd hoped. I expected more 7s, like the media doesn't appreciate Wipeout anymore. This is great news though and I hope sales positively surprise me too.

Read the review and didn't agree either. Almost sounded like it would have gotten a higher score if it had just been a 2048 remaster. Which makes no sense to me.

But it's a review so just one dude's opinion of the game. Not everyone is going to love it.

What a weird complaint lol

It's just the way I felt playing it. Some of the WipEout HD tracks are appearing for the fourth time, and as someone who played the heck out of the PS3 game last-gen, it just felt too familiar.

My takeaway after writing the review was that this is the last time they can get away with recycling this content, and I think that's fair.

Besides, 7/10 on Push Square's scale is still highly recommended, so let's not go crazy. It's still a very good game.

JamboGT

I'd love to see Omega light up Twitch and see some long term competitive play. Hell, I'd like to see Wipeout as eSports.

Would love that but the skill ceiling is too high I think. Also there just aren't enough unlocks or customisation for that audience to get into it....

Hope I am wrong!

My main wish is for it to do enough to get a full sequel with new tracks or something done with the PS1 trilogy...

It's just the way I felt playing it. Some of the WipEout HD tracks are appearing for the fourth time, and as someone who played the heck out of the PS3 game last-gen, it just felt too familiar.

My takeaway after writing the review is that this is the last time they can get away with recycling this content, and I think that's fair.

Besides, 7/10 on Push Square's scale is still highly recommended, so let's not go crazy. It's still a very good game.

Fair enough. To me that's a bit like saying "Nuremberg again, wtf?" for a regular racing game. To each their own though.

My takeaway after writing the review was that this is the last time they can get away with recycling this content, and I think that's fair.

That's fair I suppose, I never played any of the games lol so that complaint luckily doesn't apply to me.

Curufinwe

I think that's fair.

I'm mainly buying this for the chance to play 2048 properly since the Vita version was crappy for many reasons.

Playing thru the HD campaigns again after doing it on PS3 and on the Vita isn't so exciting.

hawk2025

The score given is kind of irrelevant to the discussion here, since I suppose the point people are making is that this take on familiarity doesn't add much information to the consumer. I don't see why, say, my review of The Godfather after watching it for the 7th or 8th time in the theaters this weekend should be diminished by the fact that nothing was really added to it other than a 4K restoration and it felt familiar. Reviews of remasters, remakes, and re-releases are particularly useful in recontextualizing the piece for the modern times and discussing whether or not they stand the test of time, IMO.

Anyways, reviews are ultimately a subjective affair and people will focus on whatever they do, so I'm certainly not knocking your decisions! :)

RalchAC

I think that's fair.

I'm mainly buying this for the chance to play 2048 properly since the Vita version was crappy for many reasons.

Playing thru the HD campaigns again after doing it on PS3 and on the Vita isn't so exciting.

The Vita version had some problems, the most noticeable for me was that the game could become a blurry mess in Combat mode. There were times I didn't really know what was happening on screen. The dynamic resolution was probably the reason.

The game was quite enjoyable, but still.

Top Bottom