• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wipeout: Omega Collection | Review Thread |

I would have given my extra kidney for a cockpit VR mode. I'm still waiting for a VR game to turn my stomach and this could have been the one. That said I'm still looking forward to playing it tomorrow.

I answered my own question.

Gamesradar on HDR:

Lucky enough to own a TV that supports HDR? Then good news: I’ve never seen a more compelling use of the format. Up until now, high dynamic range has never really convinced me. Even in Uncharted 4, I thought switching it on merely made scenes a teensy bit brighter. Not Wipeout Omega Collection, though. Turn on HDR here, and everything pops. Colours are more vibrant in an instantly appreciable way, the dappled rays of sunlight that gently thaw Sebenco Climb’s snowy hairpins glisten so hard I can almost feel my corneas tanning, while the contrast between light and shadow as illuminated billboards pierce through the night sky on the likes of 2028’s helter-skelter Metro Park looks sensational. Alongside Horizon: Zero Dawn, this is the best advert for upgrading to a 4K TV and PS4 Pro I’ve seen

Bumhead

Banned
Reviews have never been less relevant for me than the reviews for this game (and maybe also for Crash in a few weeks), but I'm super happy to see it received well.

That a Wipeout game in any form now exists on my PS4 is such a bonus from where I thought this franchise was at after the closure of Studio Liverpool. If this sells well enough to give us another one - either a new game or more remakes (2097 please) - I would be over the moon.

I answered my own question.

Gamesradar on HDR:

"Lucky enough to own a TV that supports HDR? Then good news: I’ve never seen a more compelling use of the format. Up until now, high dynamic range has never really convinced me. Even in Uncharted 4, I thought switching it on merely made scenes a teensy bit brighter. Not Wipeout Omega Collection, though. Turn on HDR here, and everything pops. Colours are more vibrant in an instantly appreciable way, the dappled rays of sunlight that gently thaw Sebenco Climb’s snowy hairpins glisten so hard I can almost feel my corneas tanning, while the contrast between light and shadow as illuminated billboards pierce through the night sky on the likes of 2028’s helter-skelter Metro Park looks sensational. Alongside Horizon: Zero Dawn, this is the best advert for upgrading to a 4K TV and PS4 Pro I’ve seen"

Thanks! Added to OP

Unknown?

Reviews have never been less relevant for me than the reviews for this game (and maybe also for Crash in a few weeks), but I'm super happy to see it received well.

That a Wipeout game in any form now exists on my PS4 is such a bonus from where I thought this franchise was at after the closure of Studio Liverpool. If this sells well enough to give us another one - either a new game or more remakes (2097 please) - I would be over the moon.

Same here! Loved the series since I started on Pure. Plus I played both HD and 2048 so I know they all reviewed well and I liked them.

Thanks for the thread SomewhatGroovy. Can't wait till this unlocks for me! Metascore looking good; shame about the 7 but it's his honest opinion so that's fine. Hope this sells well, I'll be doing my part GAF! Already convinced a few friends to get it too, plus with AUS Target selling for $40 that helps.

dracula_x

metascore is up to 84

gFTx5eF.png

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
That HDR comment gets me all excited. I haven't got a Pro, but I've got a shiny new 55" Sony TV coming on Wednesday. God I can't wait.

Does the game support downsampling for 1080p sets? Or is it either 4K or 1080p without it?

Edit:

Wrong thread again, but maybe someone knows anyway.

my beloved series since ps1, too bad the studio closed .
the ratings are good, which implies the developer worked had on it without killing the franchise furthermore

i'll buy it tho i already own the OG releases, which sometimes makes me sad to pay again for the same game but with improvement, i want NEW OG title, not remake\remaster :(

anddo0

The Push Square video review has me second guessing this at $40... I own HD Fury, played the hell out of 2048. Push Square mentions fatigue. I can definitely see that happening with me.

Unicorn

Why is this getting anything lower than a 10? Seeing 7s is blowing my mind.

I can understand 9's just to be pedantic,

yurinka

I can understand 9's just to be pedantic,
Why? It's a remaster, but still the best in the genre since the original ones were released. But it's basically a 3 in one bundle in "4K" 60fps, with a new ship and OST, and sold at reduced price.

Nurburgring?

But I can kind of understand the desire for new content. Especially if you played the PS3 game a lot.

Ha ha, yeah. Damn auto correct gets me again.

In hindsight it was a terrible example anyway.

How about complaining that the remastered Uncharted games have all the same levels as they do on PS3? It's a remaster.

Anyway, I don't mind the score of the review really. Actually it's reviewing a lot better than I thought it would.

haveheart

Banned
Nurburgring?

But I can kind of understand the desire for new content. Especially if you played the PS3 game a lot.

Ha ha, yeah. Damn auto correct gets me again.

In hindsight it was a terrible example anyway.

How about complaining that the remastered Uncharted games have all the same levels as they do on PS3? It's a remaster.

Anyway, I don't mind the score of the review really. Actually it's reviewing a lot better than I thought it would.

For me, the old remastered content is the main reason why I bought this game. I'm not sure if would buy it if it was a completely new expereince (
probably would
). This is one of my earliest childhood gaming experiences, I get goosebumps just watching gameplay videos of the old tracks as it all comes back.

Not Drake

Glad they didn't fuck it up. I knew the core gameplay and amount of content would be great, but I'm always a little bit cautious when it comes to technical execution. Too many ports have gotten major issues on PS4 in the last few years, so I'm very glad Wipeout is solid all-around.

Sadly my copy won't be dispatched today.

JimiNutz

Banned
I rarely buy games at launch anymore but I wanted to support the franchise and am glad that its being reviewed well.
Hope the game sells well also.

The Push Square video review has me second guessing this at $40... I own HD Fury, played the hell out of 2048. Push Square mentions fatigue. I can definitely see that happening with me.

Im still gonna buy it to hopefully show that there is still life in this series, but this is what I feared the most. I feel dirty supporting the umpteenth rehashing of the same content.

Shiloa

This I think is the first game I've preordered in 2 generations. If there's a chance Wipeout gets revived, then I'm going to support it.

Plus that classic sleeve man...

Top Bottom