• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My coworker thinks I'm stalking her because I found her home address on a website

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadedm17

A few months ago I started a new job and before I finished training a young woman who knew me for less than a few minutes of small talk asked "Do you have a girlfriend?", something at the time I took for a signal. The next day I said we should grab food and gave her my number.

The next day I found a website that taught me finding information about people doesn't take even the hours or creditcard info I thought it did :

https://floridaresidentdb.com/

Apparently you can find someone's email, phone number, date of birth, which political party they're associated and home address. I was curious who I could find and search myself, my roommate, my cousin in the same apartment complex as me, my mom and even a few coworkers. The only one I couldn't find was my mom curiously, with most having their home address.

Today in free time the same girl asked my birthday, to which I said July, she said hers too, and I said I know since - while her address never even registered in my brain more than a half second - i retained "Oh same birth month".

Sharing how I got that information didn't go well when moments later in the bathroom she goes to a coworker "You wouldn't believe what Jaded just did : Before he asked me out and now he's stalking me."

I don't even think about this girl.
Clearly "Do you have a girlfriend?" was awkward small talk.

GAF, What stories do you have of people totally missing the mark and thinking you're something or someone you're not?

border

How do you know what she said in the bathroom?

Did you plant a listening device on the girl you are definitely not stalking?

Nephtis

You done fucked up.

You did stalk her. Why the hell did you look her up at all, and why did you share that information with her?

Man, you'd better be ready for HR to have a word with you.

Let me get this straight. You looked up all her info online before getting to know her, and you told her about doing it? You screwed up bro.

I don't buy the "I was just google stalking random people and somehow included the girl I was interested in dating" bit for a single second.

Can you really not see how creepy that would appear to your co-workers?

Kyuur

I think that was a signal but you ruined it OP. I don't blame you for telling yourself its small talk though. Slips of the tongue happen.

Ebris

EfCt8KG.gif

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Oh man that was creepy OP.... like it sounds like you were just bored searching but nonetheless yeah I can see why she was creeped out

Sinfamy

People need to get off their high horse and stop pretending like they've never googled someone.
Also stop redefining the definition of stalking.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take your word that you had innocent intentions. You need to learn basic social interaction. It's REALLY weird that you admitted that to her. What else is she going to think?

I'd give some distance over the next couple days to let it blow over.

jadedm17

I'm the only idiot who does weird things, yea, right; Thanks friends.

You done fucked up.

You did stalk her. Why the hell did you look her up at all, and why did you share that information with her?

Man, you'd better be ready for HR to have a word with you.

She was on my mind and has an obscure last name, I was testing the system that even had my apartment number on it.

I don't think about her any more than the several seconds I interact with her at a time each day. The date I gave my number and left at that. No call or texts, friendly at work, that simple.

It's a restaurant so I'm sure I'm fine.

I shared it because I get hyper when I'm bored, it was between lunch and dinner, we were talking and I say dumb things.

How do you know what she said in the bathroom?

Did you plant a listening device on the girl you are definitely not stalking?

The other girl is my friend and we've been hanging out daily for like 2 weeks now.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take your word that you had innocent intentions. You need to learn basic social interaction. It's REALLY weird that you admitted that to her. What else is she going to think?

I'd give some distance over the next couple days to let it blow over.

We talk for several minutes every few days so most days we dont even see each other.

I know how to act socially - I'm a server - I just share too much sometimes. I remembered her birthday was the same month as month, nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom