• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gina Carano was going to get her own Star Wars spin-off before the internet mob got her fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Back a D23 Expo several years ago they announced a Star Wars show called Rangers of the New Republic. Most people assumed it'd be a Cara Dune show but when Gina Carano became Voldemort online, those people quickly downplayed the show and pretended it didn't exist. But now it's been CONFIRMED that the show was going to star Gina Carano:

For a while, things had appeared to settle down. Carano even fielded a call from Favreau, who said her “life is about to change” with the launch of her own Mandalorian spinoff, Rangers of the New Republic. Citing the pending lawsuit, Favreau declined to comment for this story.

THAT'S why she's suing Disney with Elon Musk. A beta dickwad who wrote for i09 went crying to Lucasfilm and got her fired (this is what actually happened and I'm sure the discovery in the lawsuit will track it down to that). The guy even bragged on Twitter about being the one who did it. He basically spammed Lucasfilm until they gave up and fired her.

She was. But the news of her termination was not relayed directly to her, she says. Instead, she learned of it online along with the rest of the world. “Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future,” read the statement, attributed to a Lucasfilm spokesperson. “Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.” She was dropped by her agency, UTA, and her Hollywood law firm, Ziffren Brittenham. Carano was canceled.

“You become unhirable,” Carano says of her Hollywood banishment. “And then it becomes OK for other people to disrespect you. And then you’re just carrying around this disrespect, and you’re shouldering all this shame, and it affects your physicality, your mentality. You’re just kind of hopeless. So to be able to fight back — it makes me feel like, ‘OK. That feels good.’ ”

Disney and Lucasfilm watched these controversies unfold with concern. But it was the “boop/bop/beep” incident that launched what she calls a “massive meltdown” behind the scenes. It erupted after Carano, resisting online pressure to announce her pronouns in solidarity with the trans rights movement, put the words “boop/bop/beep” in her Twitter bio. Carano maintains she was never trying to mock the trans community. “I’ve had male publicists with the same size feet as me and we run around in my shoes and try on my dresses,” she says. “I was just fed up. So I was like, ‘Fine, I’ll put something in my bio: ‘boop/bop/beep.’ I thought it was cute, like R2-D2.”
The Lucasfilm and Disney HR department did not find it the least bit cute and subjected Carano to what she describes as a “reeducation camp.” It began with a Zoom meeting with two transgender representatives from GLAAD. “It was a lovely conversation,” Carano says. “They said, ‘Oh, darling, I’m so sorry you stepped on a land mine.’ I listened to them and they listened to me. It was sweet and it was fun, even.” But she says the company also wanted an apology. “You know, one of those statements that almost makes you roll your eyes,” Carano says. HR wanted her publicists to craft it; she offered to write her own. After several days of back-and-forth edits, Lucasfilm ultimately felt the final statement wasn’t contrite enough and abandoned the effort. They then submitted Carano to media training. “She kept her sunglasses on, came into my house and sat all the way across the room,” she recalls of her media trainer. Eventually, Carano coaxed the woman onto the couch “and then we started talking just normally. She said something I found very interesting. She said, ‘It’s not what you say — it’s how it’s interpreted. You’re giving very logical responses to an emotional reaction.’ ”

According to Carano, there were no more media training sessions after that — just, she claims, an order to attend a Zoom meeting along with 45 members of Disney and Lucasfilm’s LGBTQ affinity group, which she says she declined. “I said, ‘Can I take five or six of these trans leaders to dinner? I’ll pay for it,’ ” Carano says. “They denied that. They were very upset. They said the meeting would be a ‘litmus test.’ I’m not even sure what that means.”

Four years later, her career in tatters, Carano can’t believe it all began with something as meaningless as droid sounds. “Boop/bop/beep?” she asks incredulously. “Seriously? This was the start of the end for me? A 20-year career, the blood, sweat and tears of fighting? I never compromised myself for a job. I never ended in a bad situation where I did anything inappropriate. I had a clean and clear climb to where I got to and was going to just keep going. And boop/bop/beep was that harmful?”

Disney has until April 9 to respond to the legal petition. So far, the company has issued only a single word regarding the lawsuit — though that word came from the top. When a CNBC journalist asked CEO Bob Iger if he had any comment on the matter, Iger responded, “None.”

There's enough evidence that this was a one-sided witch hunt to really fuck Disney on this. I hope she wins.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Eh, the first thing that came up when I googled her being let go said that she'd
posted misinformation about the 2020 election, and then subsequently that being a republican was like being Jewish in Nazi Germany and been mocking pandemic mask wearing. I can't imagine that all these things, that apparently led to trending hashtags calling for her dismissal, weren't on Disney's Radar, or that she hadn't been spoken to about this stuff at least by her agent, who surely would understand that people have lost work for this reason.

She definitely didn't have to share the memes or say she was in some sort of holocaust so basically seems like a bit of an idiot. If she'd kept it to herself she'd probably have been able to post something that some people thought was mocking trans people, but I can imagine it being just the final straw.

Trying to make it all about the pronouns in her twitter bio is a bit of a desperate move, as far as I can tell. Unfortunately for her, I imagine that no matter what happens, her career is over.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Eh, the first thing that came up when I googled her being let go said that she'd
posted misinformation about the 2020 election, and then subsequently that being a republican was like being Jewish in Nazi Germany and been mocking pandemic mask wearing. I can't imagine that all these things, that apparently led to trending hashtags calling for her dismissal, weren't on Disney's Radar, or that she hadn't been spoken to about this stuff at least by her agent, who surely would understand that people have lost work for this reason.

She definitely didn't have to share the memes or say she was in some sort of holocaust so basically seems like a bit of an idiot. If she'd kept it to herself she'd probably have been able to post something that some people thought was mocking trans people, but I can imagine it being just the final straw.

Trying to make it all about the pronouns in her twitter bio is a bit of a desperate move, as far as I can tell. Unfortunately for her, I imagine that no matter what happens, her career is over.

Pedro Pascal tweeted worse, but he's a hero. It's in the article linked in the OP.

Last edited:

DKehoe

MMA sensation. What? She retired after Baby Cyborg Vadered the fuck out of her.
She's a pretty key figure in the history of women's MMA. Elite XC and Strikeforce featured women's MMA more prominently because of her. So without her you maybe don't have Strikeforce then giving a platform to Ronda Rousey and you then don't have the women's divisions in UFC.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
She's a pretty key figure in the history of women's MMA. Elite XC and Strikeforce more prominently featured women's MMA because of her. So without her you maybe don't have Strikeforce then giving a platform to Ronda Rousey and you then don't have the women's divisions in UFC.
Nah. Rousey had her bronze at least a year before. Valentina was touring the planet beating the fuck out of everyone. Nunez had gold. Tate. Carriera. Joanna. Fuckin Holly has been going since corn was invented. Nobody ever said, damn I wish Gina was still fighting. That match where Baby Cyborg beat her back to Tatooine sure was something

ahtlas7

I didn’t find her a great actress but, damn-it, she fit the role so freaking well. Great casting of her. And good on her for not bowing to The Bosses telling her to shut-up and sit down woman, while everyone else is allowed to rage on.
Disney should bring her back and make this show. I promise to watch at least one episode and thats more than I watch of any current Disney shite.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Pedro Pascal tweeted worse, but he's a hero. It's in the article linked in the OP.

I can only assume that #FirePedroPascal wasn't trending as often as calls to fire her was. If it had been and he'd continued posting things, that likely would have ended his career too.

I know that people like to assume that other people think the same as they do, but to some people invoking the holocaust is one of the most, if not the most offensive thing that someone can do. To do that, have to apologise and then to continue to upset people would appear to be someone who's either really stupid, really inconsiderate, or really arrogant.

I guess that people don't get the same vibe from the things that Pedro Pascal posts.

Last edited:

DR3AM

She's doing pretty good without Disney

MV5BNTViMjI0ZDktODhjOS00NzFhLWE3NzQtMTE3ZDJiNGRkNzc3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjI2OTgxNzY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
But Pedro did that in an even more offensive and disingenuous way. Yet he didn't lose his career over it.
What did he say? The article doesn’t really work on my phone as the ads make it janky.

But he’s a MUCH bigger star and might have been warned himself.

I make my company about $300k a year above my compensation I can fuck up and not lose my job over someone of lesser stature for the same thing they’d get fired for. Main character tings.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Man she posted some pretty nasty shit overall, let's not try to portray her as a victim because it was more than just the beep beep thing. It's not like someone pulled her name from a hat and was like "ok her, let's ruin her career."

So did James Gunn, but Disney re-hired him. They're using that in the lawsuit as well.

And yes, she was targeted. The guy from i09 admitted to basically harassing Disney via phone calls "for months" until they fired her.

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't like how Disney treated her, but It's also hard to lament the cancellation of another shitty Star Wars show.

DKehoe

Nah. Rousey had her bronze at least a year before. Valentina was touring the planet beating the fuck out of everyone. Nunez had gold. Tate. Carriera. Joanna. Fuckin Holly has been going since corn was invented. Nobody ever said, damn I wish Gina was still fighting. That match where Baby Cyborg beat her back to Tatooine sure was something
I'm not saying women's MMA wasn't a thing. Clearly it was. Just that Gina's potential appeal meant that broadcasters like CBS and Showtime were willing to take a chance on her and therefore women's MMA in general. When Gina fought on CBS the ratings went up, when her fight ended they went back down. It's something that promoters and broadcasters notice and look to build on. That's why Strikeforce main evented with her. That show was a huge breakthrough moment for women's MMA and the promotional appeal came from Carano, not Cyborg. After all, with the EliteXC show on CBS, Gina was on the main card on network TV and Cyborg was on the unaired prelims despite Cyborg's fight being for that division's title.

This isn't about how good a fighter she was or wasn't. It's about the appeal she had and how that grew the women's divisions as a result. She was a huge part of the reason Elite XC and Strikeforce pushed their women's divisions.

Yeh Valentina Shevchenko and Amanda Nunez are clearly better fighters than Gina ever was. But how big were the shows they were fighting on before Gina was a thing? Not exactly on a CBS or Showtime level. were they? In the timeline of women's MMA there's before Gina Carano and after Gina Carano. It took a step up because of her and then took another because of Ronda Rousey.

Bethe Correia, Holly Holm and Joanna Jędrzejczyk hadn't fought in MMA before Gina's fights.

Ronda might not have gotten into MMA if Strikeforce weren't showcasing its women's divisions and therefore creating a path to a decent career rather than just small regional shows. Her having medalled in Judo was no guarantee she would then move to MMA.

Also, people were speculating on Gina returning to MMA for years after her retirement.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't like how Disney treated her, but It's also hard to lament the cancellation of another shitty Star Wars show.
Nah you would've watched a Faverau/Filoni series with Carano as an Alderaanian Shock Trooper flying around the galaxy fucking up Imperials.

She posted dumb fucking shit on social media and fucked her career because of it.

I know that people like to assume that other people think the same as they do, but to some people invoking the holocaust is one of the most, if not the most offensive thing that someone can do.

I have no idea how anyone, OP included, can take her seriously after comparing being a conservative (I'm guessing in the USA), to being a jewish person in Nazi Germany...

This is a lie, or maybe you'd call it "misinformation." She never compared any group to being a conservative, while her co-workers directly DID compare specific groups to Nazis AND Pascal even used an image from the Holocaust to do so. Examples can be seen at this timestamp:

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This is a lie, or maybe you'd call it "misinformation." She never compared any group to being a conservative, while her co-workers directing DID compare specific groups to Nazis AND also used images from the Holocaust to do so. Examples can be seen at this timestamp:

She ought to get Yahoo to take this down then, it's probably hurting her case:

But in arguably her most offensive post yet, Carano reshared to her Instagram story a photo of a Jewish woman in her undergarments screaming as she ran away from men and young boys armed with clubs. The famed image is from 1941 during the Lviv pogroms, where Jewish men and women were massacred by their own neighbors in modern-day Ukraine due to German influence in the area.

“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children,” the post, which originated elsewhere, read. “Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?”

It did not go over well, and Carano was quickly accused of amplifying anti-Semitic messages

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I have no idea how anyone, OP included, can take her seriously after comparing being a conservative (I'm guessing in the USA), to being a jewish person in Nazi Germany...

It wasn't even offensive, just  really fucking pathetic and stupid. Grown ass woman said that.

Anyway, I hope she notices you.

She never did that. That's how the Reeee crowd spun it but this is all she posted...

ted-cruz-carano-75.jpeg

Susan Surrandon posted the same thing a year or so later and no one cared because there's nothing wrong with the Tweet.

Ozriel

M$FT

But Pedro did that in an even more offensive and disingenuous way. Yet he didn't lose his career over it.

The same article points out she had a long history of posting shit that embarrassed Disney. She wasn’t fired just because of that Holocaust meme, and the claim that Pedro did worse comes from her ally Ben Shapiro.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
She never did that. That's how the Reeee crowd spun it but this is all she posted...

ted-cruz-carano-75.jpeg

Susan Surrandon posted the same thing a year or so later and no one cared because there's nothing wrong with the Tweet.
I’m so confused, are you saying that’s not her account or a doctored screenshot?

Cyberpunkd

ted-cruz-carano-75.jpeg

because there's nothing wrong with the Tweet.
Comparing Republicans being "persecuted" by evil Decrats to the situation of Jews during WW2 - this is not a fight you are going to win.

Before you say - "that's not what the tweet says" - yes it does, stop trying to spin it, you will not succeed. Republican snowflakes are as bad as Democrat snowflakes.

She ought to get Yahoo to take this down then, it's probably hurting her case:

But in arguably her most offensive post yet, Carano reshared to her Instagram story a photo of a Jewish woman in her undergarments screaming as she ran away from men and young boys armed with clubs. The famed image is from 1941 during the Lviv pogroms, where Jewish men and women were massacred by their own neighbors in modern-day Ukraine due to German influence in the area.

“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children,” the post, which originated elsewhere, read. “Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?”

It did not go over well, and Carano was quickly accused of amplifying anti-Semitic messages

"accused of amplifying anti-Samitic messages"

Why would she want Yahoo to take that down? It's all true. She was ACCUSED of this by many disingenuous people who used the opportunity to twist what she said into the complete opposite of what she actually was saying. At least Yahoo quoted the complete text of her actual post, which is considerably better than much of the media that just repeated the lie "she compared republicans to Jews during the holocaust." And you could say "Disney only fired her because it hurt their reputation" but that doesn't invalidate the law, and that's the problem for that sort of defense.

There was a backwards and racist time in the US when having a black person on your staff would have hurt your reputation as company. But then laws changed, protections were put into place, and you would be breaking the law if you fired a person because of their race. No matter how many racist customers you had who didn't want a black person working at your company, it was still against the law to fire them. This is a similar situation, because California passed laws, and protections were put into to place, and you would be breaking the law if you fired a person because of their political beliefs. Her male co-workers did the same or worse, and none of them were fired, which means this is either about sex or political view, and both of those are protected classes in the state of California.

Last edited:

LQX

There is some irony with some of the loudest people making Carano a martyr of sorts in that they have been riling against women that look like her in media. Sure she was considered very hot in her MMA days but she was very husky when the Mandalorian came around which is a no-no to those type that think unless you are some skinny, dainty looking model in their movies and video games you're pushing woke femininity on them.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Comparing Republicans being "persecuted" by evil Decrats to the situation of Jews during WW2 - this is not a fight you are going to win.

Before you say - "that's not what the tweet says" - yes it does, stop trying to spin it, you will not succeed. Republican snowflakes are as bad as Democrat snowflakes.
No, it doesn't.

All the Tweet is trying to highlight is the divide and conquer tactic that the powerful have used since the dawn of civilization. You're insane if you think she's equating the holocaust with being a conservative in America. She's not. We all know she's not. She's shining a light on a divisive political tools we should all be aware of.

And again, we live in an era where one side is allowed to use Hitler / Nazi / Genocide comparisons to Republicans and no one beats an eye.

Susan Sarandon can tweet the same exact thing and no one beats an eye.

Stop this nonsense.

Frankly I'm quite pleased Gina got fired. It was entirely her own fault as well because she wouldn't stfu like a lot of people nowadays. When your mouth runs faster than your brain, you tend to run into trouble.

The truth of the matter is that you're free to believe what you want but, if you like your job, keep that shit to yourself. Especially when you work in such a visible role where your work is consumed by the general public.

She represented Disney and as a Disney employee, you have to behave in a way that's proper in public. That means refraining from participating in any disparaging controversy that might paint Disney in a bad light.

As an actress, your work is consumed by the public and if you fall out of grace in the public's eye, they can demand your firing by simply not refusing to purchase Disney's content which affects their bottom line.

A perfect example of this is the Snow White chick who's catching a lot of flack for once again running her mouth. Absolutely unnecessary. I hope the judge tosses out this joke case as it has absolutely no merit.
"Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent." - Proverbs 17:28
A lot of public figures need to make the proverb above their life motto.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Frankly I'm quite pleased Gina got fired. It was entirely her own fault as well because she wouldn't stfu like a lot of people nowadays. When your mouth runs faster than your brain, you tend to run into trouble.

The truth of the matter is that you're free to believe what you want but, if you like your job, keep that shit to yourself. Especially when you work in such a visible role where your work is consumed by the general public.

She represented Disney and as a Disney employee, you have to behave in a way that's proper in public. That means refraining from participating in any disparaging controversy that might paint Disney in a bad light.

As an actress, your work is consumed by the public and if you fall out of grace in the public's eye, they can demand your firing by simply not refusing to purchase Disney's content which affects their bottom line.

A perfect example of this is the Snow White chick who's catching a lot of flack for once again running her mouth. Absolutely unnecessary. I hope the judge tosses out this joke case as it has absolutely no merit.

A lot of public figures need to make the proverb above their life motto.
Easier said then done because people in popularity contest kinds of jobs like celebs, athletes, CEOs, tech workers who have a social media profile on every site out there etc... like to run their mouth on social media thinking because they got followers they are somehow a machine to give everyone advice on ethics and politics.

I'd like to assume most do it for sake of being in the public eye "no publicity is bad publicity" kind of thing. They know it's stupid but they got to do it so people know they exist or else they are forgotten. But I'm thinking most truly believe the stupid shit they say.

Last edited:
Did Disney fire her? No. And they absolutely won't.
They didn't fire her because luckily for her, her biggest offence is being an insufferable brat who acts like a child. She's a 22 year old woman who seems a bit underdeveloped for her age but, that's not uncommon in north america today. Gina Carano is a 41 year old woman who should know better but instead, she was busy spouting clearly offensive comments on social media thinking she was a teenager. Now she wants to cry, "woe is me", unjust firing, blah blah blah. Actions have consequences. You're often free to choose your actions, the same cannot be said about the consequence.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
They didn't fire her because luckily for her, her biggest offence is being an insufferable brat who acts like a child. She's a 22 year old woman who seems a bit underdeveloped for her age but, that's not uncommon in north america today. Gina Carano is a 41 year old woman who should know better but instead, she was busy spouting clearly offensive comments on social media thinking she was a teenager. Then now she wants to cry, "woe is me", unjust firing, blah blah blah. Actions have consequences. You're often free to choose your actions, the same cannot be said about the consequence.

Nah you're missing the context. If Twitter got offended at Rachel Zegler and started spamming #FireRachel hashtags at Disney all day with bloggers calling Disney reps on the phone for months demanding her to be fired, Disney would fire her. But that's not happening because the Twitter mob is on her side. Disney during the Cheapek era was run by the angry social media mob.

Nah you're missing the context. If Twitter got offended at Rachel Zegler and started spamming #FireRachel hashtags at Disney all day with bloggers calling Disney reps on the phone for months demanding her to be fired, Disney would fire her. But that's not happening because the Twitter mob is on her side. Disney during the Cheapek era was run by the angry social media mob.
You're the one missing the context. If Disney feels Carano's involvement would lead to lower profitability, it is perfectly valid to fire her for underperformance. If the fans don't want to see the content because of you and it's affecting Disney's bottom line, they can fire you. In fact, it's not like they fired her out of the blue. She was warned several times but it's like she had Headstrong by Trapt playing in her head constantly. She's not the first person Disney has fired for public controversy and she won't be the last. Social media has given people a false sense of "empowerment" with a false belief that there are no consequence for your actions. As a result, everyone and their mother want to tell you "their truth".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom