• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 GameStop Hands-on Announcement

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Only trying to advertise to the small Wii U install base would be a poor strategy.

Yup. Same as why the E3 demos were at stores, not downloadable (aside from their unfinishedness). They need to sell to people without the system more than anything.

Only trying to advertise to the small Wii U install base would be a poor strategy.

"On July 20th and 21st, Nintendo fans will be able to play Pikmin 3 at participating Gamestop locations in the United States, and EB games in Canada."

Please stop trying to damage control. The E3 demos sure haven't improved Wii U sales. Nintendo should be trying to salvage their fans at this point. Also, why not make it a permanent demo instead of trying to lure people in for two days only? The EB Games in my malll still has the Rayman Legends demo kiosk from launch.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
This is... dumb. Why not make it a downloadable demo?

Because then only the relatively few Wii U owners out there would be able to play it. This way they market to everyone who's going into a Gamestop. Also, if people are playing Wii U in stores, then they are at point of purchase already, and can potentially buy a Wii U if they like the software that they are sampling.

All that said, there should be a demo on the eShop too.

GulAtiCa

Please stop trying to damage control. The E3 demos sure haven't improved Wii U sales. Nintendo should be trying to salvage their fans at this point.

It did however give Nintendo a lot of press at those Best Buy events. My store was completely full with lines at opening of that event.

I don't see how that is damage control..

It did however give Nintendo a lot of press at those Best Buy events. My store was completely full with lines at opening of that event.

I don't see how that is damage control..

Because Nintendo is making a mistake by not releasing an eShop demo as well. What's stopping them from having both?

aquavelva

"On July 20th and 21st, Nintendo fans will be able to play Pikmin 3 at participating Gamestop locations in the United States, and EB games in Canada."

Please stop trying to damage control. The E3 demos sure haven't improved Wii U sales. Nintendo should be trying to salvage their fans at this point. Also, why not make it a permanent demo instead of trying to lure people in for two days only? The EB Games in my malll still has the Rayman Legends demo kiosk from launch.

Wut

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Because Nintendo is making a mistake by not releasing an eShop demo as well. What's stopping them from having both?

From a marketing perspective, it would be dumb to both at the same time.

No one with a Wii U would have any incentive to go to the retail location. The retail location would then probably not be very interested in doing the promotion without some kind of exclusivity.

This is... dumb. Why not make it a downloadable demo?

I think Nintendo, at the moment, are looking to sell consoles more than games.They want people in the store, talking to each other and talking to the salesmen. If the install base for the console was high enough, a demo would have been a way to sell the game. That is not the case for the Wii U.

XenodudeX

I think Nintendo is the only company that doesn't make downloadable demos for first party games. I don't understand why they don't do it.

-Horizon-

I think Nintendo is the only company that doesn't make downloadable demos for first party games. I don't understand why they don't do it.

3DS has downloadable demo for Fire Emblem Awakening...if we're talking about Nintendo as a whole including handhelds of course. For home consoles like Wii U which this particular thread is talking about, I'm not sure they offer first party demos (though some one can correct me if they do).

Haines

Banned
Well, Im not going to bother when I already have the game pre-ordered for 20 off at FutureShop.

Its good that Nintendo is trying to get WiiU stuff in the publics eye though.

Lasdrub

Cause the Best Buy thing worked so well...

When I got there, every time slot was filled. I couldn't even see the screen.

Release a demo for people who spent $350 on your PS3 that only plays Nintendo games.

A day early? Weak.

I was planning on buying Pikmin 3 digitally anyway. But I'll just wait until 9:00 PM PDT on 8/2 purchase it directly from Nintendo.

I don't really think Pikmin is the type of title that would fair well in this type of setting. It would be a bit like showing off Silent Hill at a gamestop. Not that it makes the game look less attractive, but it's kinda hard to show and experience the type of atmosphere those games create in a burst of moments at a kiosk.

And correct me if I am wrong but the majority if first party gam es across all platforms hardly evet get a demo.

Last game I remember getting a demo was Fire Emblem on 3DS. Before that...I have no idea? Wind Waker is the last one I remember lol

morikaze

Banned
I don't really think Pikmin is the type of title that would fair well in this type of setting. It would be a bit like showing off Silent Hill at a gamestop. Not that it makes the game look less attractive, but it's kinda hard to show and experience the type of atmosphere those games create in a burst of moments at a kiosk.

I thought the same. Pikmin is something you have to experience alone in a cozy room. Or if not alone around someone who can appreciate it's aesthetic. I remember back when I first played Pikmin 2 one of my friends was watching and kept saying how stupid the game looked it was like YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND PLEASE GO AWAY AND LEAVE ME IN PEACE.

a day early download in exchange for a digital copy. gross
Why is this gross? It sounds like a great incentive for people to get a game before it's available to others and for Nintendo to sell a copy of a game they won't have to worry about getting traded in. Getting a game a day early is a 1000x better reason to pre-order a game then bullshit alternate skins or content that should have been in the basic game in the first place.

Mariolee

I don't think I'm driving 12 miles to play Pikmin 3 for 5 or less minutes. At least with the E3 demos you got to choose between 4 titles.

cafemomo

Pikmin looks interesting to me.

But it's not drive 11 miles interesting
NYWdt1w.png

Darryl

Banned
Why is this gross? It sounds like a great incentive for people to get a game before it's available to others and for Nintendo to sell a copy of a game they won't have to worry about getting traded in. Getting a game a day early is a 1000x better reason to pre-order a game then bullshit alternate skins or content that should have been in the basic game in the first place.

1. buying at gamestop
2. digital-only bonuses. where's my pikmin plushie
3. they're making us in NA wait extra time as it is, now they're holdin back the release date even further for some exclusivity stuff

sphinx

the piano man
why does Reggie always look like a bored politician?? I really don't dig the way he tries to convey his message.

Top Bottom