• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth on PS5 - Quality/Performance Modes + More

Dundar

Theres a VRR setting? When I used it for games like Ratchet and Clank, Horizon 2, the FPS was way higher. Will this be the case?
Unfortunately no. It supports it system level but since the range for VRR is 48-60, if it drops a little like it does during certain scenes it remains judder free on performance mode. Not that I would suggest that mode. All texture detail is lost that way.

FUBARx89

It's amazing! Every game that has 60fps mode renders higher frame rate most of the time but they are locked to 60, unlocking it with vrr in 120hz output produces amazing results and lowers input lag. Sony devs are leading here and most games have many display modes for everyone but 90% of developers don't give a fuck.

Sony is also to blame, console should be able to output 120hz automatically just like series x or pc. In the end we (players) are fucked and entirely on developers mercy. In the case of this game we have one bad option to play and another bad option to play it.

Isn't the xbox implementation the proper form of LFC?

Eitherway, it would be nice to have, hell, I'd take a 40hz mode.

Bojji

Isn't the xbox implementation the proper form of LFC?

Eitherway, it would be nice to have, hell, I'd take a 40hz mode.

Yep, it has both Freesync protocol with LFC and standard VRR with LFC. Sony is behind things like that as always.

40fps/120Hz modes are the way forward. Surely it can't be difficult to implement.

GAF told me that SE don't have time to implement non necessary things like that hahaha. Truth is that they were able to run game in 1080-1440p with almost locked 60FPS, 40FPS mode running in 1440-1800p should be trivial to implement.

SenkiDala

It is (like FFVII Remake was) my most anticipated game of all time since FFVII is by far my favorite video game ever.

But yes I'm a bit salty because the demo shows that none of the mode proposed are good... It is playable, of course, but it's sad that this magnificent game is tarnished by an underpowered hardware or weird technical decisions by the developers.

FFVII Remake looks awesome on PS5, great IQ @ 60fps but in this one I've to chose between great IQ and shitty 30fps (I play on OLED, it looks "playable" but it really feels not that great) or an unacceptable 540p/60fps performance version which in my opinion wasn't even shipable, seriously looks like a Wii game on a big modern screen.

I know that in Remake we were in Midgar, and even though the game wasn't that linear, it was clearly not an open world and I was VERY curious to see how they'll manage to bring the open world outside of Midgar. And now I know.

In the end I thought they made the right choice to decide to think about the game world first, level design first, and what should be FFVII in modern gaming era. But just the PS5 isn't great enough to display it, and that's sad.

I'm even considering waiting for the PC version, the problem is I don't have currently a PC so I'd have to get a new one and maybe selling my PS5, this is not the first game of the generation that highly disappoints me on consoles. I couldn't even finish the demo on PS5. I don't understand I'm not a graphic whore, I tolerate 30fps modes when they are well made, I play Switch on my 65" OLED TV very often and that's perfectly fine for me, even Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was absolutely fine for me, because in my head it's clear that "it's a Switch game" and overall I have fun with the game.

I feel that during the PS4 era game devs (or companies in generals) started to feel like "you know what, fuck optimisation, let's dev our game on PC, and after scale it by default on "PS4 settings" and let's ship it". The only games that are still optimized in the modern era are PS 1st party exclusives. It's like it would take too much time and as long as it runs without crashes, the publisher decides to ship it.

I dunno it feels almost insulting to release the game in that state. I'm not mad at the dev they seem to have made an awesome remake and perfectly understand what is the core of FFVII, they are undoubtedly true fans and I am so grateful to them.

So, yeah, still hesitating if I take it now or if I get a PC to get it later... :(

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
GAF told me that SE don't have time to implement non necessary things like that hahaha. Truth is that they were able to run game in 1080-1440p with almost locked 60FPS, 40FPS mode running in 1440-1800p should be trivial to implement.
There's a list of 40fps/120Hz games on reddit and it's mostly Sony 1st-party devs that implement it into their games. I tried R&C RA and HZFW and it worked really good. It lowers the input latency significantly compared to 30fps/60Hz, and offers smoother camera panning. DF tested it and in R&C RA input latency for 40fps/120Hz was extremely close to latency for 60fps/60Hz...
L89mTLT.jpg

So you get image quality similar to Fidelity/Quality mode with smoother camera panning and much better responsiveness.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No comment from them since the demo patch? They listened to the first demo feedback, but made it worse
Customer is always right .. right?
No. Customers suck ass. Let devs do what they think is best.
Gaming customers got too much voice these days. people who don't know shit and are never happy.

Real critique gets lost in the sea of uneducated masses screaming

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No, you really don’t.
God. Anything but FSR.
There is nothing worst than fsr2 on consoles. It's barely ok 4k ultra preset on pc. But it's use on consoles should be banned.
It's not free, they have to run lower internal res to use fsr2... if a game is 1080p fsr2 to 4k, it could probably be close to 1440p without it and just rawdogging taa or something.
pixelated breakup, dithering, terrible in motion. Not a fan

Crayon

15 minutes is all it takes for me to adjust. The trick is to never switch between 60 and 30 fps and you will have no need to adjust.

Ive been gaming on an OLED for the last 3 years and Spiderman Miles, Ratchet, FF16, Horizon FW, and Callisto all looked fine on the OLED. If anything its better because the input lag on the OLEDs is so low, it doesnt feel laggy.

I even disabled motion blur in Horizon FW to fix the intense HDR brightness flickering issues and didnt notice the jitteriness.

Again, the trick is to never switch back and forth. We have been playing 30 fps games for decades. Our eyes have already adjusted.

The reason so many console players suddenly became 60fps snobs because they got the ability to switch back and forth.

That makes 30 look like a slideshow and 60 look flawless. When you adjust, it's less extreme on both ends.

For my part, I'm fine with 30fps. Having said that, I select 60 in almost all games because usually the resolution is still good enough for a game to look great. I usually have to stop camera movement to see the difference. Definitely a sign that I shouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

Pigenator

I couldn't even finish the demo.

Performance mode looked like absolute trash - and it seems like they failed to actually mitigate the issues with their "fix".
Quality mode performs like crap - probably the worst feeling 30FPS I've ever played. They must introduce some basic motion blurring or fix the frame pacing, there's something wrong with it and I played 2+ gens of 30FPS games.

Go_Ly_Dow

40fps/120Hz modes are the way forward. Surely it can't be difficult to implement.
They are but I think adoption rates of the TVs that support them (HDMI 2.1, 120Hz, VRR) are still quote low as usually these TVs cost $1000-2000USD and have only been on the market for a few years?

Luipadre

I couldn't even finish the demo.

Performance mode looked like absolute trash - and it seems like they failed to actually mitigate the issues with their "fix".
Quality mode performs like crap - probably the worst feeling 30FPS I've ever played. They must introduce some basic motion blurring or fix the frame pacing, there's something wrong with it and I played 2+ gens of 30FPS games.
frame pacing is perfect, its the lack of camera motion blur

Go_Ly_Dow

frame pacing is perfect, its the lack of camera motion blur
Seen a few say the quality mode has approved post patch and also by knocking down one of the camera movement sensitivty settings to 2 or something like that it feels better. I haven't played either demo myself to see how it feels though.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
They are but I think adoption rates of the TVs that support them (HDMI 2.1, 120Hz, VRR) are still quote low as usually these TVs cost $1000-2000USD and have only been on the market for a few years?
There’s plenty of affordable gaming monitors available and PS5 can do 1440p/120Hz over HDMI 2.0. I have a $200 32” LG Ultragear and it does 1440p/120fps+VRR/Freesync Premium+HDR from PS5 just fine.

Dundar

Seen a few say the quality mode has approved post patch and also by knocking down one of the camera movement sensitivty settings to 2 or something like that it feels better. I haven't played either demo myself to see how it feels though.
It's true, I felt the same.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
This looks better to you?

TS9PVoZ.jpg
Not as a still image, but fortunately games move while you play them.

60fps instantly make a game “feel” 100 times better than dogshit 30fps. I flat out refuse to play a 30fps game now and nothing will change my mind on that. I’m happy to wait for more powerful hardware or a patch or move to PC if it comes to that eventually.

30fps should be extinct soon, it’s abhorrent.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

60fps instantly make a game “feel” 100 times better than dogshit 30fps. I flat out refuse to play a 30fps game now and nothing will change my mind on that. I’m happy to wait for more powerful hardware or a patch or move to PC if it comes to that eventually.

open your mind or get a pc and suffer there.
You can play at 30. It looks way better unless you maybe sit far away.
30 is not abhorrent. It feels just fine if you let your brain adjust. Of course it will be dogshit if you play at 60 and then switch to 30.
Embrace the ability to enjoy game in any condition and your life will be better

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Enough console gamers have high refresh TVs or monitors to make it worth it to have a 40fps/120Hz.

Sure. I was answering a post saying you don't need to get an expensive 120hz TV because you can just get a PC monitor and play on that. That's not what most people want to do.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Sure. I was answering a post saying you don't need to get an expensive 120hz TV because you can just get a PC monitor and play on that. That's not what most people want to do.
“Most” is irrelevant. “Enough” is the standard. It would take 1 guy maybe 5hrs to implement it in an Unreal game.

As previously mentioned, Sony and their 1st-party devs determined it was “enough”.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Dude watch the video. it looks even worse in motion because of all the pixelated artifacts.

The worst part about not having either a 4k/unlocked 60 fps or a 4k/40 fps mode is that if PS5 Pro does come out, this game will be stuck in 1080o/60 and 4k/30 (which doesnt feel good EVEN compared with FF7 Integrade) hell ...

The 30 fps in this feels much worse than ff7 remake (just tried both back to back).

It's crazy that big AAA games like this, the devs are too short sighted or lazy to be future proofing their games!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finally getting to play the demo and while I haven't reached the open world part of the demo, the Nibelheim portion of the demo looks so visually bland and uneven. The IQ in Performance mode is so-so bad, and I'm playing it *after* the supposed patch which makes it sharper, changed it back to Quality almost instantly.

On top of that, the game is full of a lot of very low resolution textures, something you'd expect to see minimal / not at all, for a current-gen only game.

1qxpJZc.jpeg

This is a huge step down visually from FF16.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The worst part about not having either a 4k/unlocked 60 fps or a 4k/40 fps mode is that if PS5 Pro does come out, this game will be stuck in 1080o/60 and 4k/30 (which doesnt feel good EVEN compared with FF7 Integrade) hell ...

The 30 fps in this feels much worse than ff7 remake (just tried both back to back).

It's crazy that big AAA games like this, the devs are too short sighted or lazy to be future proofing their games!
It amazes me that people here think that the PS5 Pro will magically make games perform to their expectations. When all it will do is likely make the current options slightly better. Like a more stable 4k/30 fps quality mode and 1440p/60 fps performance mode. I just don’t trust the console developers optimization skills at this point. Most are pretty garbage.

Finally getting to play the demo and while I haven't reached the open world part of the demo, the Nibelheim portion of the demo looks so visually bland and uneven. The IQ in Performance mode is so-so bad, and I'm playing it *after* the supposed patch which makes it sharper, changed it back to Quality almost instantly.

On top of that, the game is full of a lot of very low resolution textures, something you'd expect to see minimal / not at all, for a current-gen only game.

1qxpJZc.jpeg

This is a huge step down visually from FF16.

Try the junon demo in quality mode

It looks great

Last edited:

Fbh

Customer is always right .. right?
No. Customers suck ass. Let devs do what they think is best.
Gaming customers got too much voice these days. people who don't know shit and are never happy.

Real critique gets lost in the sea of uneducated masses screaming

And sometimes they are.
Jedi Survivor ran at like 680p with constant drops to 40 fps. People complained, it took months but eventually they fixed it by removing RT and now the performance mode runs at 1080p and mostly 60fps.

Surely they can do something here. The video says the performance mode is running at resolutions above 1080p, it should be possible to get the game to look like that instead of the current version which you could easily mistake for 720p or something like that.

//DEVIL//

Can't wait!

When you are 100% sure you will buy this physical to make sure this doesn't get removed even if the cry purple idiots forced Square Enix to delete the scene.

And then double dip on the PC version for all the possible mods I will get....

I have never been so locked on to double dip on a game more than this 😂

Last edited:

Consumer

I've seen a few people say that Perf Mode looks better when you manually change the PS5's output resolution to 1080p, can anyone confirm? And if so, does it make Perf Mode viable?

saintjules

I've seen a few people say that Perf Mode looks better when you manually change the PS5's output resolution to 1080p, can anyone confirm? And if so, does it make Perf Mode viable?

I'd actually be more interested in what TV source they're using and if OLED has been calibrated or not. I think there's going to be a wide opinion on this.

Quezacolt

Even changing to 1440p helps. You lose the pixelated look that came with the patch, but the game continues to be a blurry mess. In the end, if you do that, you get back to the shit it was before.
And i don't want to have to change my ps5 settings all the time just because Square devs don't know how to properly use unreal engine.

First it was Remake with some textures not loading properly or at all on ps4, to awful jpeg backgrounds, and now this with Rebirth.

Flabagast

Interested to know if you find out.

Currently Even on a 1080p (which I have) screen performance mode looks way worse than Graphic Mode

paolo11

I just don’t know the developers didn’t fix the IQ on performance mode using the first patch . Oh well quality mode I suppose

I think you all are overexaggerating things a bit.

It looks fine to me in perfomance mode. It is indeed a softer image, but overall I don't dislike the picture at all. The graphics are beautiful. Quality mode is amazing but I prefer 60 fps.

As for this and the lower res textures, I think it's the UE4 to blame. They made an open world with such graphics with it, I think it's almost a miracle

Last edited:

Pallaris

Doubt UE4 is to blame for bad textures. it's just inconsistent texel density and or not checking your work. Whoever is suping this stuff just lets its slide.
Thats all there is to it.

mrcroket

I think devs have no one but themselves to blame for this. They embraced cross gen and 60 fps modes instead of pushing graphics fidelity in early gen titles. Now they are finally pushing graphics fidelity, but it comes at a cost like everything in life. Only this time its resolution and level of detail because 10 tlfops can only give you so much.

I say its not too late to shun 60 fps and just drop performance modes altogether. Dont even give people an option and you wont see bitching. no one bitched about lack of 60 fps in uncharted 4, zelda, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, horizon ZD, GOW 2018, RDR2, Death Stranding, Bloodborne, Sekiro, witcher 3. No one cared. People just got on with it.

Just be honest and say hey you cant have everything. Be a man and suck it up. Go to PC if you want high resolutions and high settings at 60 fps. Enjoy the game the way we meant to be played.

It's been super frustrating to see every fucking game get marred by performance talk. RE4's blurry performance mode was the start and since then Star Wars, FF16, Alan Wake 2 and even Avatar have all had their discussion dominated by poor IQ and performance in 60 fps modes. Fuck it. Take the PR hit on not providing a 60 fps mode, and focus on making the 30 fps mode feel smooth instead. I cant believe people were playing games like FF16 and Star Wars at 720p or below. it's shocking. Avatar and ALan wake drop to 864p. No wonder no one thinks those games look amazing because they all played on PS3 era resolutions on giant 4k modern tvs.

Console gamers dont need to be given options. They chose to be console gamers for a reason. If they really want, they would build a PC or buy a Pro for 60 fps.
The thing is that there are more people who prefer 60fps with worse IQ than 30fps, in fact whenever a survey has been done and asked the same result has come out, so why should they do it?

And the "if you want 60fps buy a PC" can also be applied to the resolution mode, if you want more IQ buy a PC.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I probably go with quality. The fidelity difference between the two modes are just too big

Yup quality for me too. These visual showpiece titles I always gotta roll with whatever is gonna be the feast for the eyes and Final Fantasies are generally no exception.

I think devs have no one but themselves to blame for this. They embraced cross gen and 60 fps modes instead of pushing graphics fidelity in early gen titles. Now they are finally pushing graphics fidelity, but it comes at a cost like everything in life. Only this time its resolution and level of detail because 10 tlfops can only give you so much.

I say its not too late to shun 60 fps and just drop performance modes altogether. Dont even give people an option and you wont see bitching. no one bitched about lack of 60 fps in uncharted 4, zelda, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, horizon ZD, GOW 2018, RDR2, Death Stranding, Bloodborne, Sekiro, witcher 3. No one cared. People just got on with it.

Just be honest and say hey you cant have everything. Be a man and suck it up. Go to PC if you want high resolutions and high settings at 60 fps. Enjoy the game the way we meant to be played.

It's been super frustrating to see every fucking game get marred by performance talk. RE4's blurry performance mode was the start and since then Star Wars, FF16, Alan Wake 2 and even Avatar have all had their discussion dominated by poor IQ and performance in 60 fps modes. Fuck it. Take the PR hit on not providing a 60 fps mode, and focus on making the 30 fps mode feel smooth instead. I cant believe people were playing games like FF16 and Star Wars at 720p or below. it's shocking. Avatar and ALan wake drop to 864p. No wonder no one thinks those games look amazing because they all played on PS3 era resolutions on giant 4k modern tvs.

Console gamers dont need to be given options. They chose to be console gamers for a reason. If they really want, they would build a PC or buy a Pro for 60 fps.
it's just so strange to me that back in the day i had a 1080ti water-cooled gpu that was top of the tops and could run the division at 60fps with all the bells and whistles maxed at 4k (i believe. maybe 1440p). and that still looked 1000x better than the 60fps junk that gets pushed out today (not counting the huge budget, 1st party blockbusters). that 1080 had something like 8-9 tflops. so i remember thinking, man, once consoles get above 9 tflops, graphics will be amazing. yet here we are.

Top Bottom