• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Preview Update August 2014 (1408)

Synth

Most of this list the PS4 already has, so what were you saying?

I'm counting 2 out of 8 on that list that the PS4 already has (mobile purchases and low battery notification). People tend to pop in to make this claim each time MS pushes a new update, and it's nearly always bs. It also ignores that MS has matched most of the features the PS4 launched with that the XB1 was missing, whilst Sony has since matched pretty much none of the features the PS4 lacks that the XB1 already has.

Bsigg12

If anybody wants an invite, add me on Live and shoot me a PM saying you're from GAF and I'll invite you into the program. Keep in mind you might not get accepted right away from Microsoft.

GT: Gamefreak2590

El_Chino

If anybody wants an invite, add me on Live and shoot me a PM saying you're from GAF and I'll invite you into the program. Keep in mind you might not get accepted right away from Microsoft.

GT: Gamefreak2590
Added you and sent you a message on Xbox.

Bsigg12

I find it strange the forums haven't bee updated for the 1408 wave yet

They usually go up once the update starts getting pushed out. From what I know, officially the update has not rolled out to preview users yet and isn't starting until at least tomorrow.

Sorry for making this a catch all xbox question thread. Recently had lasik and without glasses the kinect no longer recognizes me. Where do I adjust this? Don't see a place in settings.

SPDIF

Sorry for making this a catch all xbox question thread. Recently had lasik and without glasses the kinect no longer recognizes me. Where do I adjust this? Don't see a place in settings.

If you want to do it without re-running the Kinect setup again then it's:

Settings > Sign in, security & passkey > Reset my Kinect sign-in data.

WHY DID WE HAVE TO ASK FOR IT

I'd say the chance that it was already on their 'to do' list to begin with was pretty high, but obviously with user feedback, it was made an even bigger priority.

Plus, it isn't like they're coding things for the same old 360 CPU architecture anymore. I imagine they needed the extra time to get these things right, and CPU architecture likely isn't the only thing they need to be mindful of. There's a unique operating system setup in the xbox one this time around also, which surely has to change things just a bit. The 360, for example, doesn't operate in the same fashion that the Xbox One does, with the level of multi-tasking that's possible even while gaming, along with the seamless transitions between multiple, still running apps.

And lastly, there's a new controller to think about, which probably has an entirely new set of components that need to be properly addressed in code.

Quite a few people do, apparently. Granted, I'm not one of them, but they're clearly present.

Yea, 3D is one of those things that I see as a nice bonus if you have it, but it's not something that I see as a particularly big draw. I wouldn't ever go out of my way to have access to 3D.

Ape

Banned
I have to admit, one of my favorite things about the Xbox is seeing what they put into the monthly update. There's a lot they can do and I anticipate that this fall they will get some big features out. It really makes my other console OS' feel like they have stagnated, whereas before I as perfectly fine with them. Great job on Microsoft's part for changing my expectations for update cycles. This is absolutely incredible.

I have to admit, one of my favorite things about the Xbox is seeing what they put into the monthly update. There's a lot they can do and I anticipate that this fall they will get some big features out. It really makes my other console OS' feel like they have stagnated, whereas before I as perfectly fine with them. Great job on Microsoft's part for changing my expectations for update cycles. This is absolutely incredible.

Said it before, but one of the more overlooked at yawned at things that Microsoft revealed about the Xbox One when it was first revealed, continues to be one of its most impressive innovations/design decisions. No matter how others choose to view it, I still think it continues to be one of the single most impactful and meaningful decisions for either of the two consoles. It's a major part of what separates the two platforms: People largely associate the differences as being entirely about Kinect, and I too personally still see Kinect as a major part of the overall vision (a few times even missing the larger picture of the role that the OS's - all 3 of them - were playing behind the scenes), and what ultimately brings the whole thing together, but the unsung hero that's been doing a lot of the heavy lifting from the get go (the 3 operating system) is THE thing that is most responsible for the overall feel of the Xbox One experience since launch.

It's exactly why they can maintain this crazy aggressive update schedule without the same risk of messing everything up. it's why we can look forward to all sorts of interesting and exciting universal app possibilities down the line, and why in the short term it seems like such a good idea for app creators to work on some pretty cool stuff for the system. Because there's no longer this need to do one thing or the other, like it was back on the 360, it seems like the genuinely good apps have a much better chance of getting their opportunity to shine on a system that was always going to be more about playing games than anything else. There's all sorts of cool possibilities for where this system could be 2, 3 or even 5 years down the road, and I personally can't wait to see what that's like if Microsoft keeps up this incredible pace of support. Initially learning that they were taking upwards of 3GB for the OS implied some pretty big ambitions on that side of things, and I'm pleased that they seem to be more than making the most of it.

MCD

I once questioned if they will do updates fast considering they did biannual updates last Gen and MS as a whole are so damn slow (see WP) but they went above and beyond my expectations, even with the loss of Marc Whitten.

Good job for real.

theDeeDubs

...(the 3 operating system) is THE thing that is most responsible...

Totally with you there. Ever since they had the follow-up sit-down with the designers and engineers after the reveal, I remember saying, "That's brilliant," when they were explaining their design decisions. Looks like it's paying off for them and will continue to do so.

Alx

Totally with you there. Ever since they had the follow-up sit-down with the designers and engineers after the reveal, I remember saying, "That's brilliant," when they were explaining their design decisions. Looks like it's paying off for them and will continue to do so.

Can that post reveal talk be found somewhere by the way ? I've been looking for it for months...

Ape

Banned
Can that post reveal talk be found somewhere by the way ? I've been looking for it for months...

When the system launched weren't people "in the know" saying that the OS was a mess? I might be remembering things wrong but the OS ended up being excellent. I hate using the 360 and especially the PS3 now. Such bad experiences by comparison.

When the system launched weren't people "in the know" saying that the OS was a mess? I might be remembering things wrong but the OS ended up being excellent. I hate using the 360 and especially the PS3 now. Such bad experiences by comparison.

We were told by supposed insiders that long before launch that it was basically a broken mess (snap, parties, I'm sure there was other stuff)

Im still waiting for the broken OS I was promised. It wasn't perfect and the updates have helped stability a lot but it was a million miles away from what we were told

Ape

Banned
We were told by supposed insiders that long before launch that it was basically a broken mess (snap, parties, I'm sure there was other stuff)

Im still waiting for the broken OS I was promised. It wasn't perfect and the updates have helped stability a lot but it was a million miles away from what we were told

Well, parties didn't default to on and that was really dumb. That was really my only major design complaint for me as far as the OS goes when it launched. I totally forgot about that too. Snap has always been awesome though.

malfcn

Parties were kind of broken at launch. Haven't partied or chatted much such launch though. But overall the os has been nice. At times u wish it were more snappy though.

liquidtmd

Banned
So the odds we're going to see 3D Blu-Ray playback on PS4 within the next four weeks have just shot up considerably.

Good job MS! As a PS4 owner I salute your efforts.

EagleEyes

I'm counting 2 out of 8 on that list that the PS4 already has (mobile purchases and low battery notification). People tend to pop in to make this claim each time MS pushes a new update, and it's nearly always bs. It also ignores that MS has matched most of the features the PS4 launched with that the XB1 was missing, whilst Sony has since matched pretty much none of the features the PS4 lacks that the XB1 already has.
Don't bother quoting AgentP as he is a well known superfan of Sony and doesn't really have a clue what he's talking about concerning the Xbox One. I have both machines and think they are great but there is really is only few things left that the PS4 has implemented that the X1 doesn't have. Meanwhile the list of things the X1 can do compared to the PS4 just keeps growing until Sony can start getting some updates out.

Parties were kind of broken at launch. Haven't partied or chatted much such launch though. But overall the os has been nice. At times u wish it were more snappy though.

Parties not being designed in the same way they were on 360 didn't make the functionality fundamentally broken which is what we were sold. The only time I ever had problems connecting to a party was the day after launch when my NAT has changed to strict and a full reboot of the console fixed it.

Also, party chat not on by default also doesn't make it broken (as stupid as it was)

I can't speak for everyone so apologies if my post comes across that way but my personal experience with it (which is a lot) is that it was nothing more than FUD to capitalise on the resolution issues and other stuff coming out at the time. The events since launch further proceeded to back that up from what I've seen

pieface

I hope they improve the speed when opening messages/friends list.

When playing a game, if I receive a message from someone, sometimes it can take about a minute to actually open it. Should be instant really.

alterno69

Banned
I rented Ryse yesterday, it promted me to a fucking 10gb update(Not MS fault) and i can't play it until it's updated? Wtf is that shit? This is my main problem with the Xbox One OS.
So i went to play Fifa while it was downloading that shit and when i was done it said it was ready, i launch the game and there's a progress bar like halfway done so i decide i'm going to bed, i turn it off thinking it's gonna be ready next morning and it's still fucking there. All these changes they keep doing are minimal and useless until they fix this shit.

Also it takes ages to go in and out of my friends list compared to the PS4. Everything takes too many steps compared to the Ps4 menu system.

m23

It even says only a subset of the preview users will get it.

Probably will roll out to all preview users in the September preview, where it will then be available for all.

Yeah, not everyone in the preview program will get the friends tab. At least not in the beginning.

Top Bottom