• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mission Start! Metal Slug music appreciation thread

Teknoman

iiR05470hDj8h.gif

When run and gun games are brought up, or even action games in general, the Metal Slug series is always mentioned with the best of the best. Well known for its heavy action, beautiful 2D environments, cartoonish charm, and incredibly detailed animations...but what about the soundtrack?

The music in Metal Slug series, although hardly ever mentioned, really does drive that action packed feeling that we get from playing the games, and its pretty catchy to boot. I'm sure many of us have found ourselves humming or just having the music randomly pop into our heads, long after a session of blasting shotguns or letting loose enemy chasers. Lets get this mission started, and check out some of what the series has to offer!

Metal_slug_logo.png

The one that started it all. Alot of people still view this as the top of the series, since its pretty clean cut and focused. I like how jazzy some of the themes can get, which is really unexpected with the game's subject material.

Main Theme

Can anyone who has played any of the games hear this music and not have "Mission...start!" pop into their heads? And i'm sure no one expected the build up and then transformation the theme takes on at the 1:25 mark. For me, that was when I knew I was playing something that would end up in the top ranks of action gaming history.

Inner Station

Assault

This theme will be heard several times throughout the series. When this kicks in, you know its about to get real.

Ending
Works as more or less a Sonic style midi, and wraps up the game nicely. Fits really well with the environments scrolling by and lets you reflect on a job well done.

pr-2-7-1-logo.png

*Now I know Metal Slug X has some slight additions to themes, but i'm just going to use MS2's for space sake.*
Judgement

Prehistoric Site

This feels like it would belong right at home in some legendary adventure movie. Exuding mystery, I really like everything about this theme and its stage.

Livin on the Deck

The series gets its first fast paced mobile stage, and a great track that really drives that feel to go along with it! I always get fired up and focus when hitting this stage.

Back to the China

Very unique, and almost just as fast paced as Livin on the Deck.

Metal_Slug_3_Logo_1.bmp

The other competitor for series best, Metal Slug 3 pulled out all the stops, with a deeply diverse range of environments and equally so for the music featured.

Blue Water Fangs

Marine Diver

Midnight Wandering
You can just feel those foul flesh munching, slime spewing, zombies creeping around to this. I'm still curious about the story behind this stage's boss.

Shallow Sea

Hard Water

This remind anyone else of Rushing Beat / Ninja Warriors music?

The Desert

The Pyramid

In the Void

I know everyone overuses the word epic these days, but this theme truely embodies the word's meaning. If you haven't played Metal Slug 3 yet, know that everything that takes place from this stage forward, is one of the best series of events to take place in all of action gaming.

Into the Cosmos
Yup.

jb1m5PKf0o3gPz.jpg

The scene of a Hard Battle

Getting a real secret agent vibe.

Lets run through

jbf9BpMqo9HKcY.jpg

Heavy African

Ruins Excavation

Windy Day

Who would've ever thought you'd hear a spaghetti western inspired track in Metal Slug of all things?

Intrigue

Speeder

iPfVEXZIjQc43.gif

Now of course this isnt a full showing of what Metal Slug has to offer, since I havent had the chance to play Metal Slug 6 or 7 in depth, or Advance, 1st or 2nd mission either. But i'll no doubt have to update the thread after seeing what they have to offer, both gameplay and audio wise. Also I wonder what happened to the composer of the games, or the Nazca side of SNK as a whole. You've got Gunforce 2 and Into the Deep as predecessors to the series, but when will we see an actual successor to the series?

SgtCobra

Can't disagree with your post OP, your post pretty much contains all the good tracks.
Living on the Deck and Into the Cosmos are the best though. So so soo gooood.

Cynn

I absolutely adore the series. I own both on Neo Geo Pocket and 1,2 and 3 on MVS. Recently I got 3 for PS4.

I do wish there was a mode where you could overclock out the slowdown on remasters though. I want to play Slug 3 freed from its one single flaw.

Cdammen

Judgement, the first level music in the second game and X is awesome. Especially mixed together with the total mayhem you cause. I loved Metal Slug X that much that I had to build my own joystick from scratch, buy a Neo Geo MVS 1 cart system, invest in a JAMMA supergun, and the game itself :)

randomkid

I somehow totally forgot that the original Metal Slug theme gets so amazing when you leave it past the mark identified in the OP. God I love that game.

Teknoman

Yeah I think most players never hear it since it is possible to blow through the first stage pretty fast, especially if you aren't trying to snag everything.

eXistor

Never really played any of the games, but I have the MS Anthology on the way, so soon I'll be able to join all the Metal Slug talk!

Fandangox

I love Metal Slug, I have the Anthalogy.

I also liked that they put the Ikari team in the games lol, seems so obvious.

PBalfredo

Cool topic. I got Metal Slug on my mind since I just finished playing Metal Slug on PS Now (off topic, but is there any versions of the game aside from the original NeoGeo release that has red blood? I'm tired of guys bleeding "water" everywhere!)

Solid list, OP. In the Void is also one of my favorites. I'd add:

Metal Slug 3 - Hidden Factory

Metal Slug 3 - Escape

Metal Slug 4 - Secret Place (The soundtrack and the tank kamikaze attack being moved to D are sole redeeming features of MS4)

Metal Slug 5 - Final Attack (Dencyu's Arrange Version)

Damn, I need to re-play 3 again one of these days, soon. It's been far too long and the game is just THAT DAMN GOOD. No idea why some people are gaga for X or 2, they just can't measure up.

I gotta say, the music in Metal Slug has never stood out to me, other than the main theme which can be memorable.

A lot of the time it sounds like noodling, melodies that don't really become very strong and just float all over the place.

Maybe it's because too often I'm really focused on the game and can't think about anything other than shooting and dodging, and/or the sound effects drown out the music. I dunno, regardless it's not a series with music that I listen to outside the game.

Tain

XX on XBLA has an ugly filter, you're better off on PSP via a Vita or emulating the PSP game, I think.

Edit: yeah, emulating the PSP game on a full-size display with an arcade stick is the way to play Metal Slug XX.

Teknoman

XX on XBLA has an ugly filter, you're better off on PSP via a Vita or emulating the PSP game, I think.

Edit: yeah, emulating the PSP game on a full-size display with an arcade stick is the way to play Metal Slug XX.

What about PSP + component cables?

Top Bottom