• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long live Tango Gameworks! 'Appreciation Thread'

Fuck this.

They didn't deserve this...

cyberpunk-cyberpunk-anime.gif

proandrad

HiFi Rush could have been a major Xbox IP, if they didn't stealth drop it for free on gamepass. Game would have been a major hit if Sony or Nintendo had it as first party.

fart town usa

Gold Member
How's Ghostwire for someone that really despises the Farcry formula when it comes to the open-world design?
Hard to say. Ghostwire is all aout running around and exploring. You can climb most things and the verticality is really clever. Reaching certain places is a puzzle and there's no yellow paint. Great side missions, cool set pieces, etc.

I could go on and on. I'm about to stream it so if you want to pop in just shoot me a DM and I'll send you a link to my only fans. That last part is a joke of course 🤣

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hard to say. Ghostwire is all aout running around and exploring. You can climb most things and the verticality is really clever. Reaching certain places is a puzzle and there's no yellow paint. Great side missions, cool set pieces, etc.

I could go on and on. I'm about to stream it so if you want to pop in just shoot me a DM and I'll send you a link to my only fans. That last part is a joke of course 🤣
Hey, doesn't sound half bad. I'll give it a go, thanks!:messenger_ok::lollipop_content:

The Evil Within 1 is still one of my favorite games of all time, and I'd choose it over a significant number of mainline Resident Evil titles, and every Silent Hill after 3.

I think The Evil Within series is vastly underrated. Especially the first one. Oddly, two of my favorite of the IDTech 5 engine games. Which is saying a lot, given how much I like thw New Order and The Old Blood. As well as Rage.

Robb

Gold Member
Found the scene :

James Franco GIF

The animation work is insane.

On one hand, thank god they were able to get this absolute gem out the door before the closure. On the other hand, I can’t believe MS closed the studio when they’re able to produce a game like this. Bizarro world.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Fell in love with Tango instantly with The Evil Within. It was so good and even if it had familiar survival horror elements, with nods to Resident Evil, it felt like a fresh take on the genre with its focus on stealth and the surreal nature of the story. Ruvik was a great villain and I will never forget the chapter where you are in his mansion and he's chasing you around. All the movie references were great too, particularly to one of my favorite movies "Seven", showing what a horror buff Shinji Mikami was. I even platinumed the game, which if you have done it or attempted to, is really fucking difficult. The hardest challenge I've ever taken on in a video game. That's how much I loved TEW.

The sequel was equally great. I had faith in John Johanas because he actually directed the two DLC episodes for The Evil Within and they were really good. It was with TEW2 that I understood that Johanas was something special and would be a great director in the future. TEW2 had some very cool moments, especially involving the photographer Stefano. It had great boss designs, Obscura is probably the creepiest addition to the franchise and is by far the most memorable creature in the game. I didn't mind the open nature and more exploring, and the story was touching with Sebastian trying to find his daughter. The narrative had a human heart at its core with grounded characters which is rare to see in a horror game.

Ghostwire Tokyo was another gem. The Tokyo setting was a refreshing change from the American suburbia TEW portrayed. I don't know much about japanese culture (I only really like their games) and GT was as much of a history lesson and deep dive into japanese mythology as it was a horror game. I loved reading every bit of information about all the crazy things you found. The combat system was cool as hell, with different abilities and the way you stole the ghost's "cores" from their bodies. It was fast paced and a great traversal system which made zipping around Tokyo very fun. I loved this game, even if they went overboard with the collectables. Dualsense integration was also top notch. One of the best games to utilize the feature.

HiFi Rush was a surprise indeed. I was initially sceptical because I wanted Tango to do horror. But when I played it I immediately fell in love with it. Rhythm games aren't really my jam but HiFi was so much fun and did it so well. The story was hilarious, best part of the game, facing off with the insane executives of the organization you are fighting. It had funny dialogue and Chai and Peppermint were a cute couple with a great chemistry who should've been in more games. The cel shaded graphics are fantastic and very well made, this game will stand the test time and outlive every other game this generation. John Johanas proved he could do both great horror and great rhythm character based action. A real talent.

I can't fucking believe Tango is gone. One of my favorite studios who had so much potential and so much talent. They made so many great games, that unfortunately didn't hit all the way up, but it shouldn't be a reason to kill them. This is the worst studio closure I've ever witnessed in my 35 years as a gamer. Nothing comes close to this. I'm so fucking upset over this I will never forgive Microsoft for this. A trash company run by heartless bastards.

Had to give you gold for succinctly putting into words everything I could've ever said about TGW. Your experiences mirror my own to a T and I couldn't have said it better.

SkylineRKR

Ghostwire is the only Tango game I never played beyond the free trial, not counting their mobile game I see on wiki. I did beat both TEW games and Hi Fi Rush.

TEW 1 is brilliant. Its flawed and janky, but brilliant. Tough game, good length, settings you don't want to visit. It was more a mixture between RE and Silent Hill, Mikami tapped into the psychological horror here. But it still retains some gamey things, such as the nurse that upgrades your skills.

TEW 2 was okay. I did finish it, but to me it has absolutely nothing on 1. The open hub was unoriginal and sterile, and its as if they tried to chase trends. A lot of the time I felt like I was playing a budget version of TLOU with a huge emphasis on very bad and easy stealth and much less responsive gameplay.

Hi Fi Rush I beat last week. Its a masterpiece and very addicting.

Denton

I finished TEW, TEW2 and Ghostwire.

TEW is still my favourite game of theirs, but TEW2 and Ghostwire were fun too. TEW is one of my favourite RE-like games, period.

HiFi Rush did not grab me.

This trailer for TEW2 is a masterpiece:

DavJay

Tango made them two great games in the last 2 years(arguably their BEST two games in the last decades) and MS closed them. Their only Japanese studio, a region they stated they would invest more in.

Top Bottom