• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli will be crossbuy on Wii U/3DS, releases on March 5th (£7.99/$9.99/€9.99)

L~A

Announced via PR:

Curve Digital are delighted to announce that their versions of Roll7’s twitch arcade skater, OlliOlli, will utilize a newly available Buy One, Get One Free scheme across the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems in all regions globally at release on 5th March.

Curve Digital MD, Jason Perkins, commented: “Curve Digital are known for frequently offering titles on PlayStation’s Cross-Buy scheme, whereby gamers who purchase a Curve title on either PS4/PS3 or Vita will receive the other versions for no added cost. We are always keen to offer these gamer-friendly schemes where possible.”

Working closely with Nintendo, Curve is now able to offer a similar-such scheme globally on Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems, where a purchase on either system will unlock the other system’s version, available to the same user absolutely free.

For the £7.99/$9.99/€9.99 retail price, Nintendo gamers will be able to purchase OlliOlli on either system and receive both versions unlocked via their Nintendo ID, for the optimum experience whether at home or on the go.

OlliOlli will be available on the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U eShop on March 5th, followed by Xbox One on March 6th.

Curve’s adoption of such a scheme marks another step in the publisher’s ongoing ambitions to continually innovate and push the boundaries of indie console publishing.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
So both of the first cross-buy titles for Wii U/3DS hit in the next week or two.

For NA at least, Europe has had cross-buy before.

While, while that is cool and I totally promote this going forward, I have less incentive to play my 'free' copy if I'm working on another.

STILL - this is a step in the right direction!

I understand people will be frustrated by that, but people claiming it's pointless without are exaggerating.

Like you say, step in the right direction :)

Sendou

That I don't have to buy the same game twice.

I thought the whole point behind Vita and PS4 cross-buy is that you can continue playing the same game you started on your home console on go. Without cloud saves that won't be possible with Nintendo machines. That's not to say some won't benefit from this but if you don't want to replay OlliOlli this won't be useful to you.

TheMoon

That you have 2 copies of the game?

Plus, if it's the same as DK V Mario, you get a code for the other game you could just give to a friend or even sell.

Read the PR, this is account-based cross-buy. Like what we have had in Europe for months. Now it's available in NA finally. No code shenanigans.

I thought the whole point behind Vita and PS4 cross-buy is that you can continue playing the same game you started on your home console on go. Without cloud saves that won't be possible with Nintendo machines. That's not to say some won't benefit from this but if you don't want to replay OlliOlli this won't be useful to you.

aCZpnML.gif

:D

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Oh that's cool, was just asking about a cross buy feature in the last thread. Good news, hope the trend continues.

If you can't share saves then what's the point?
That first post bitching... Neogaf never change :-D

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Well, this isn't "crossbuy", it's just a similar scheme. Obviously being able to continue from one machine to another would have been great, but Nintendo and Curve are utilizing what they have at their disposal now.

I've personally never played the game, so I won't mind playing it "twice", but there'll be others in a similar and different position.

oti

Banned
So instead of using their own system Nintendo decides to give out codes that can be sold and hence lower the price of their game?

That's so Nintendo.

Berordn

That first post bitching... Neogaf never change :-D

It's a legit question. It's great that it does have cross-buy now, but having to progress through the same game twice is not my idea of a good time.

I'd rather have it than not, but it feels like a bit of an oversight.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
From the PR

OlliOlli, will utilize a newly available Buy One, Get One Free scheme across the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems in all regions globally at release on 5th March.

So...it's a general policy that Curve will adopt first or what? The wording implies it's a brand new opportunity for developers.

Vena

From the PR

So...it's a general policy that Curve will adopt first or what? The wording implies it's a brand new opportunity for developers.

Word implies this is a new system to the systems more than something limited to Curve Digital. So its likely further unification on Nintendo's end for their networking/eshop.

It's a legit question. It's great that it does have cross-buy now, but having to progress through the same game twice is not my idea of a good time.

The Wii U and 3DS savefiles have different codes probably, so it's not possible at the moment I think.

TheMoon

Cross buy on the eShop has existed since last Summer already (Squids Odyssey on 3DS/Wii U was the first eShop cross-buy game). Thing is that it was only available in the PAL region. Now it's also available in North America. This is the bit that is news.

SerTapTap

Great news, hope this becomes more standard for Wii U/3DS. It's one of the best reasons to have multiple PS platforms IMO. Cross Buy is fantastic. Cross save/play too but that's probably a much bigger ask on Nintendo.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Awesome news. People having the option to take advantage of this is great, but now Nintendo needs to streamline the process and make sure to implement cross-saves/cloud saves.

While, while that is cool and I totally promote this going forward, I have less incentive to play my 'free' copy if I'm working on another.

STILL - this is a step in the right direction!

I totally agree on both points. I bought SteamWorld Dig on PS4 over the summer and I was really disappointed that it wasn't cross-save. I loved having it on Vita too, but my progress wasn't there, so it kind of seemed like a waste.

The PR didn't say but similar things in the past have been for a limited time only. I'm guessing this is not which is also a step in the right direction. Shame that having an NNID on a 3DS is still an undesirable prospect.

Still I find cross buy without saves to largely be a free lunch that is rarely eaten but just looked at it but its not exactly doing harm...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

True, i think if Cross saves are possible and easy to implement this could still be patched at a later point. I remember MH3U needed as specific app to transfer saves between devices.

This is good news because Nintendo Indie devs didnt really consider CrossBuy before - now that its an option they might implement some kind of Cross Save feature from the get go.

This should be their next goal and if Mario Makers also get a 3DS release this might be the first big Nintendo title that features cross-save functionality.

TheMoon

The PR didn't say but similar things in the past have been for a limited time only. I'm guessing this is not which is also a step in the right direction. Shame that having an NNID on a 3DS is still an undesirable prospect.

Still I find cross buy without saves to largely be a free lunch that is rarely eaten but just looked at it but its not exactly doing harm...

Similar things were cross-discounts. Not cross-buy. Squids Odyssey is still cross-buy to this day.

Berg

So instead of using their own system Nintendo decides to give out codes that can be sold and hence lower the price of their game?

That's so Nintendo.
Where does it say anything about codes?

Nintendo gamers will be able to purchase OlliOlli on either system and receive both versions unlocked via their Nintendo ID

L~A

I'm talking about Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

Reason there's codes is because the game is also sold at retail, pretty sure that if you buy the game on the eShop, there won't be any code... unless I missed something during the Direct. We'll see soon enough, though.

Madouu

Mh3u had an app on both consoles that lets you transfer saves, it's doable even without cloud saves if a developer feels it's worth the effort.

Great news, I'll probably be grabbing the game.

So if you buy it on one system...

Does that make it OlliOlli oxen free on the other system?

Reason there's codes is because the game is also sold at retail, pretty sure that if you buy the game on the eShop, there won't be any code... unless I missed something during the Direct. We'll see soon enough, though.

It's only "retail" in Japan and that just has codes in the box IIRC for both in each. Only difference I think is just the box, but contents are just two codes.

Phamit

So if you buy it on one system...

Does that make it OlliOlli oxen free on the other system?

It's only "retail" in Japan and that just has codes in the box IIRC for both in each. Only difference I think is just the box, but contents are just two codes.

It is also retail in Europe

Top Bottom