• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli will be crossbuy on Wii U/3DS, releases on March 5th (£7.99/$9.99/€9.99)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mmmh, the cross-buy thing made me more interested in the game. A question for those who already played it: how good is it?

Not perfect due to the lack of cross saving, but definitely a step in the right direction for Nintendo. If I didn't already own it and it's sequel on Sony platforms I'd be all over this. Great game.

Ninja Dom

I've never played this game before. I just got Olli Olli 2 as a free download on PS+ for my Vita. Is it worth getting the first game? Or is the sequel vastly superior?

fernoca

Well, not an OlliOlli expert, but played it on PS4 and Vita back then, so...some quick notes:

-Game is on sale until March 19 for $8.49 (in NA at least).

-Unlike Mario vs DK on which you get a code in the receipt for the other version that you can share/gift/sell; cross buy is like other platforms. You buy one version, the other is marked as free so you "buy" the free version to have the other one. So, both units need to share the same NNID of course.

-Wii U version looks like (how I remember) the PS4 version. Clean, colorful. No noticeable problems. Gamepad displays buttons, etc. and a quick reset option.

-Game looks decent on 3DS, though others has said is not 3D. I'm playing on a 2DS anyway. It is literally the same game but at low-res.

Overall, anyone that was aware of this game and hasn't tried it, less than $9 you get 2 versions of a great game.

Any impressions? :)

It's really hard and the controls are confusing. Basically you use the d-pad or stick to do everything: jump, tricks, grind. But you have to press A as you land to not fall over.

Also the 3DS version isn't in 3D, which is really disappointing because it has some nice parallax layers going on, and also because the foreground kinda blends in with the background sometimes and the 3D effect might have helped with that.

I'm not really feeling it, but I guess I can see how some people would enjoy it.

maxcriden

That's exactly how I'd describe it, actually more like Bit.Trip Runner meets skate, as you use the circle pad to do tricks instead of buttons.

Ah, neat. Thank you. I like the BTR games but they tend to be brutal for my eyes/headaches so I should probably steer clear of this. :)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, neat. Thank you. I like the BTR games but they tend to be brutal for my eyes/headaches so I should probably steer clear of this. :)

That's too bad. The game seems easier on the eyes than the Runner games, but I never had a problem with them other than trying out the original on PC.

Picked it up last night on Wii U, and will grab it on my 3DS later. Played an hour or so, and it's a joy - lovely feel to it, easy to pick up but difficult to master, and it's got a fun, sparse look and presentation.

It's a shame we're only getting OlliOlli now, just as OlliOlli 2 hits other platforms, but I'd hope this will be successful enough to justify a speedy port of 2.

Letep

I played OlliOlli on Vita last year. Loved it. Double dipped for the 3DS / Wii U combo, even though I got OlliOlli2 for PS+.

Great game!

Shahed

While cross buy is definitely a step in the right direction, they really need to incorporate cross save as well. It's all well and good giving me the 3DS version when buying it on Wii U, but once I've made any sort of progress on Wii U, I'll never touch the 3DS version and vice versa

shiyrley

Banned
IMO cross-buy is great but doesn't make any sense if there is not cross-save as well.

Anyway, how's the 3DS version? Does it run and look good?

Berg

IIRC, it's available when you press Select. I turned mine on without the TV last night and spent a minute or two trying to see which button switched to Off-TV.
Awesome thanks!

Heres a painting of a bear i saw on miiverse for your help
zlCfzTB2PDQMgPWIUN

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHizXomnIA

dLMN8R

I'm just getting into this game on 3DS. It seems cool, but kind of inscrutable?

I can't get the hang of the inputs they're trying to make you do in very short order. Does it stay like this or is it pretty easy to get used to after a little bit?

Top Bottom