• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Account Hacked, Ridiculous Sony Policies

Saw this thread on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2yq8oq/my_psn_account_got_hacked_this_morning_sony/

I know this has happened to several people in the past, and I find Sony's policies surrounding this to be ridiculous.

- Basically, if you are unlucky enough to have your account hacked, Sony will only refund up to $150 in charges.

- If the hacker deactivates your PS4 to activate their own, you are screwed because Sony only allows 1 activation/deactivation every 6 months

- If you decide to dispute the charges with your bank or credit card, your account is banned and you lose all of your current digital games and content

I would think Sony would have a better set of policies in regards to account hacks than this, especially in light of the infamous PSN hack a few years back. It seems like if you are unlucky enough to be targed, you will seriously lose either way. Either eat the fraudulant charges to keep your account, or dispute them and lose your account and all your games.

This makes me rethink my all digital stance for games this gen. What do you all think?

Hack my account if already posted.

Nuknuk

Neo Member
That happened to me but in a different manner. Someone stole my credit card and used it to purchase 250 dollars in psn purchases. I disputed it with the credit card company and they ended up banning the persons account. Sony actually gave me the name of the psn account. I was pretty pissed but I like the no tolerance policy.

dugdug

Banned
Seriously insane. I know someone going through this right now, as well.

He has to chalk up $450 or get banned. How is this even a thing?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but Sony still doesn't have two factor, do they? If Sony folks are listening, getting that implemented would be a great first step...

edit: And given the lack of two factor, my credit card will never be attached to my PSN account. If I want something bad enough, I'll just go get a card. There has already been a couple of times though that I have talked myself out of a purchase. Their loss.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm waiting for someone to sue Sony over losing their legally purchased games because some hacker illegally made a purchase on their account and the person did a credit card chargeback.

Storm360

Seriously insane. I know someone going through this right now, as well.

He has to chalk up $450 or get banned. How is this even a thing?

$450 is probably just a drop in the bucket compared to how many games people buy

I can see why people would fall for it

I removed my credit card and added my Paypal account instead a while back. Its an extra layer, but it still isn't as good as 2 step authentication.

These policies are seriously bullshit and something needs to be done about it.

Aces&Eights

The policies are indeed bad but everyone should know by now NOT to have your damn CC on file with your system. Jesus, we hear all the time about stories like this and why anyone would put their debit/credit card info into the PSN is astonishing. Buying a prepaid or PSN gift card takes 2 seconds and you can even get them on Amazon so you don't have to get out of your chair. Buy cards as you need them. If you are ever hacked you won't lose your rent money.

Two-factor authentication would be appreciated, but keep in mind that there is a difference between getting hacked i.e. something that would happen to Sony, and your account being phished or stolen, usually when someone doesn't protect their account info when entering it on the computer and stuff.

To summarize, the lack of two-factor is annoying and I hope they implement it soon, but if someone steals your account there's only so much Sony can reasonably do and you need to be more careful about your account credentials.

flkraven

- If you decide to dispute the charges with your bank or credit card, your account is banned and you lose all of your current digital games and content

This is the craziest part of all this. Especially if you have to wait a month to deactivate the guys PS4. For people with tons of digital content, this is a really expensive choice.

bomblord1

Banned
Wouldn't that be admitting guilt for theft?

What? If someone hacks your account and tries to buy a game and you (within your legal rights) do a credit card chargeback for the illegally purchased game Sony will ban your account and subsequently all of your legally purchased PSN content is now gone.

The policies are indeed bad but everyone should know by now NOT to have your damn CC on file with your system. Jesus, we hear all the time about stories like this and why anyone would put their debit/credit card info into the PSN is astonishing. Buying a prepaid or PSN gift card takes 2 seconds and you can even get them on Amazon so you don't have to get out of your chair. Buy cards as you need them. If you are ever hacked you won't lose your rent money.

I agree that having your CC on file is not smart, but this doesn't prevent someone from hijacking your account resulting in you losing all of your current digital content. I find that part perhaps more reprehensible.

Boke1879

Link this thread to Playstation people on Twitter. I know this is a Sony Policy but maybe they can get something changed in regards to PSN

Saw this thread on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2yq8oq/my_psn_account_got_hacked_this_morning_sony/

I know this has happened to several people in the past, and I find Sony's policies surrounding this to be ridiculous.

- Basically, if you are unlucky enough to have your account hacked, Sony will only refund up to $150 in charges.

- If the hacker deactivates your PS4 to activate their own, you are screwed because Sony only allows 1 activation/deactivation every 6 months

I would think Sony would have a better set of policies in regards to account hacks than this, especially in light of the infamous PSN hack a few years back. It seems like if you are unlucky enough to be targed, you will seriously lose either way. Either eat the fraudulant charges to keep your account, or dispute them and lose your account and all your games.

This makes me rethink my all digital stance for games this gen. What do you all think?

Hack my account if already posted.

I"m pretty sure Sony allows 1 online deactivation every six months.

Aces&Eights

I agree that having your CC on file is not smart, but this doesn't prevent someone from hijacking your account resulting in you losing all of your current digital content. I find that part perhaps more reprehensible.

Well, that you can work with Sony on. They can get you your account back. The big problem here is when a hacker BUYS content with your credit card on file then you call the bank to cancel. That is when they will ban your account. If you do not have a CC on file the hacker cannot purchase more games and download them. All they have is your current purchased games. So, calling Sony and getting your password changed will result in you getting your account back and all your stuff.

EDIT: I'm not trying to defend Sony and their policies I am just using common sense when it comes to protecting your personal assets. The system is set up a certain way and not changing anytime soon so it is best to do what you can to protect yourself.

Link this thread to Playstation people on Twitter. I know this is a Sony Policy but maybe they can get something changed in regards to PSN

Lots of people are doing just that in the Reddit thread. This really needs to get attention, it has happened several times now. Its a ridiculous set of policies.

Derpyduck

Banned
Never put any credit card info on any Sony service. Especially since it seems they're too inept still to increase security. Just use pre-paid PSN cards.

How would you lose your digital content? Unless you mean you can't get your account back.

Mindwipe

Yeah, this is an insanely bad policy, and sitting on it while it reaches the front page of Reddit is a terrible PR move. Not sure what Sony are thinking here.

EatMyFace

Banned
Make sure you have a unique password on PSN THAT U DON'T USE ANYWHERE ELSE. Don't click on fishy emails or tweets.

Sony didn't get hacked recently. So if you were "hacked" it's probably your fault.

bomblord1

Banned
Well, that you can work with Sony on. They can get you your account back. The big problem here is when a hacker BUYS content with your credit card on file then you call the bank to cancel. That is when they will ban your account. If you do not have a CC on file the hacker cannot purchase more games and download them. All they have is your current purchased games. So, calling Sony and getting your password changed will result in you getting your account back and all your stuff.

Renewing PSN with a credit card or making a purchase of any kind automatically puts it on file. I know because I removed my credit card to prevent stuff like this and bought a game on my PSTV. I was then auto charged for PSN renewal with the credit card I used to buy the game.

v1perz53

One of the suggestions in the reddit thread was to have the bank/credit card company call Sony to negotiate. Apparently pretty much all banks or card companies will do this. A few people had mentioned getting full refunds without being banned that way. Still utterly ridiculous though that this is Sony's policy.

gruenel

Never put any credit card info on any Sony service. Especially since it seems they're too inept still to increase security. Just use pre-paid PSN cards.

I'm pretty sure these "hacks" aren't Sony's fault at all, aside from not offering 2-factor authentication.

HUELEN10

I've said it before and I'll say it again; to me, and shit like this only compounds the feeling, Sony's services are the most anti-consumer in the industry. They are the market leader ATM, no excuse to not shape up!

Yeah, this is an insanely bad policy, and sitting on it while it reaches the front page of Reddit is a terrible PR move. Not sure what Sony are thinking here.

Any company will ban you for using chargebacks. Valve, Sony, Microsoft, etc. When you reach Sony or Microsoft's size, chargeback fees can go up into the thousands. Per customer that adds up.

Aces&Eights

Renewing PSN with a credit card or making a purchase of any kind automatically puts it on file. I know because I removed my credit card to prevent stuff like this and bought a game on my PSTV. I was then auto charged for PSN renewal with the credit card I used to buy the game.

I know. That is why you don't use your credit card to renew your Plus account or buy anything from the store. Delete out your CC info and never put it back in. You can buy PSN cards from amazon and use those. You can buy prepaid CC and just load them with the amount needed for your immediate purchase. You should never, EVER have your personal debit/credit card on file with anything Sony. Ever.

EVER.

Thanks to this thread I decided to delete my CC information from PSN. I am not taking the risk.

You will sleep much better at night, I promise. Also, the next time you see a "Holy Shit! My PSN got hacked and they spent $856! I'm screwed!" you will have a great, warm feeling in your tummy that you know that will never be you.

Nameless

I was hacked twice on XBL. Both times the perp loaded up on XB music and video credit. No such trouble on PSN yet.

one of the reasons i purchase as little digital content as possible, especially from sony. they're incompetent as fuck, always getting hacked and shit.

Thanks to this thread I decided to delete my CC information from PSN. I am not taking the risk.

ever since the psn hack i don't put my debit into psn, always just buy the psn cards

Chargeback fees for vendors are a massive expense and are a signal for fraud. Don't initiate them unilaterally or you will likely face a ban. As others have mentioned, have your financial institution (bank/paypal/etc) work with Sony on it if something like this happens and Sony CS aren't able to help.

zychi

Banned
Not as ridiculous as being banned months after asking for a refund on Halo MCC digitally and AC Unity at release because they were broken products. At least Sony has a policy that makes sense.

bomblord1

Banned
I know. That is why you don't use your credit card to renew your Plus account or buy anything from the store. Delete out your CC info and never put it back in. You can buy PSN cards from amazon and use those. You can buy prepaid CC and just load them with the amount needed for your immediate purchase.

So I should have to Amazon and purchase prepaid credit cards to get online PSN content? Come on now.

Credit cards should be able to be used for one off purchases instead of auto filing it and Sony shouldn't have this weird policy about charge backs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; to me, and shit like this only compounds the feeling, Sony's services are the most anti-consumer in the industry. They are the market leader ATM, no excuse to not shape up!

Steam is probably just as bad. At least Sony feigns giving a fuck about their people

Lothars

one of the reasons i purchase as little digital content as possible, especially from sony. they're incompetent as fuck, always getting hacked and shit.

ever since the psn hack i don't put my debit into psn, always just buy the psn cards
They were hacked once, there hasn't been any other hacks because ddos isn't hacking neither is someone phishing your account.

So I should have to Amazon and purchase prepaid credit cards to get online PSN content? Come on now.

Credit cards should be able to be used for one off purchases instead of auto filing it and Sony shouldn't have this weird policy about charge backs.
It's not a weird policy. pretty much every company has that policy that can get your account banned if you chargeback.

Ginger Whale

Neo Member
Sony's policys regarding this kind of activity are an absolute joke.
My PSN account was hacked last Sunday. Luckily the asshole only ran up £49.99 (The Order: 1886) but he/she also changed my log-in info so I was locked out of my account with no way to unlink my credit card to prevent more purchases and had to go through a help line to regain control. The rep I spoke to informed me the I wouldn't be offered a refund of any sort because, and this is a direct quote " I'm responsible for the security of my own PSN account".
Rediulus. Just glad it was only £50. Sorry to hear about the Reddit guys situation, that sucks man.

Top Bottom