• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Account Hacked, Ridiculous Sony Policies

EatMyFace

Banned
one of the reasons i purchase as little digital content as possible, especially from sony. they're incompetent as fuck, always getting hacked and shit.
Actually they dont but hey think what you want. It's your loss. Digital is very convenient for me. I won't go back to retail.

antibolo

Banned
NEVER put your credit card info on your PSN account. If you do, you expose yourself to situations where if your account is stolen, the thief can do a bunch of purchases, and then once you get back your account, Sony will NOT refund you those unwanted purchases and you can't do anything about it. By not having your CC info on your account, you avoid that possibility altogether.

In many countries you can use PayPal to add funds. It's not as convenient as direct credit card payment but it's still quick and easy. USE THAT OPTION. And if it's not, buy prepaid cards. Just never put your CC info on your account, EVER.

- Basically, if you are unlucky enough to have your account hacked, Sony will only refund up to $150 in charges.
Not say $150 is good or you should be grateful for that much or anything along those lines.

There is a guy on here from the UK and Sony UK refuse to refund anything because "protecting your account is your responsibility" so he is stuck with a load of games he doesn't want, has never played or will never play. Last I heard he was pursuing legal action.

It is just an interesting regional difference. There must be some reasoning behind the $150 figure. Maybe something like xx% of hacks are for good worth $z and each hack costs $y to investigate so $150 and revoke games is cheaper.

If your PSN account gets "hacked", it's 99% your fault, because you either use a shitty password, you use the same password for multiple services, or because you did not secure your computer properly.

And please stop with this two-factor stuff. Yes it can increase security. But how likely is it that someone will enable two factor authentication for his account if he is too fucking lazy to choose a strong password?

It is astonishing that they ban people for reversing funds when their network is so susceptible to hacking.

Their network is not "susceptible to hacking". If it was, we would hear countless reports of hacked accounts. But we don't.

Edit: And lmao at the usual over reaction. If you have a strong, unique password and up-to-date software on your computer, while also applying common sense when surfing the internet, you will not get hacked.

Nameless

They were hacked once, there hasn't been any other hacks because ddos isn't hacking neither is someone phishing your account.

It's not a weird policy. pretty much every company has that policy that can get your account banned if you chargeback.

Seriously. Way too much paranoia over PSN. Dozens of millions of users and having your CC info stolen isn't a thing.

Aces&Eights

So I should have to Amazon and purchase prepaid credit cards to get online PSN content? Come on now.

Credit cards should be able to be used for one off purchases instead of auto filing it and Sony shouldn't have this weird policy about charge backs.

Yes, under the current policy with Sony that is exactly what you should be doing. Is it really that much work to protect yourself? Next pay day, go buy 3 or 4 cards from amazon and keep then next to your PS4. When you want to buy something, use one of them. I don't like the feeling condoms give me but I hate STDs more. I deal with it.

EDIT: I'm not saying that this is all perfect. Sony has dropped the ball but let's be real here, losing your rent money to a hacker will ruin your day.

ironcreed

Banned
It's pretty astonishing, really. You are the victim and get your account banned and lose all of your bought content if you try to reverse charges made by some crook. #4theplayers!

khaaan

I should remove my CC info from PSN…but it never seems to work because every time I do it I can still go back onto the SEN webstore and buy something, and it’ll automatically add the funds from the CC I just removed.

But it had no problem messing up renewing my PS+ membership.

bomblord1

Banned
They were hacked once, there hasn't been any other hacks because ddos isn't hacking neither is someone phishing your account.

It's not a weird policy. pretty much every company has that policy that can get your account banned if you chargeback.

Uhh no, my Xbox account was hacked and $80 worth of content bought. I immediately did a charge back before even calling Microsoft and when I did call Microsoft they said I did the right thing by blocking it before it had even completed.

darkwing

wait, if someone other than the user gets his/her password , and uses it buy stuff/change info, it means the PSN has been hacked?

zychi

Banned
Uhh no, my Xbox account was hacked and $80 worth of content bought. I immediately did a charge back before even calling Microsoft and when I did call Microsoft they said I did the right thing by blocking it before it had even completed.

Go ask for a refund or do it again. You'll be banned and never get an actual explanation, they'll send you to a forum that is ran by 15 year olds who never respond to anyone.

Lothars

Your one of the only people i've ever heard that did that because Microsoft has banned accounts for chargebacks.

bomblord1

Banned
Yes, under the current policy with Sony that is exactly what you should be doing. Is it really that much work to protect yourself? Next pay day, go buy 3 or 4 cards from amazon and keep then next to your PS4. When you want to buy something, use one of them. I don't like the feeling condoms give me but I hate STDs more. I deal with it.

EDIT: I'm not saying that this is all perfect. Sony has dropped the ball but let's be real here, losing your rent money to a hacker will ruin your day.

I understand that's what has to be done I'm saying it shouldn't have to be done.

sensui-tomo

Was it FIFA related? That happened to me, got it taken care of in 2 weeks. and ever since then, i've always rotated my passwords around every other week.

Petrae

It's pretty astonishing, really. You are the victim and get your account banned and lose all of your bought content if you try to reverse charges made by some crook. #4theplayers!

Because-- according to participants in this thread-- the crook getting access is your own fault. We hope everyone learns a valuable lesson.

I see a lot of people assuming that if your account gets hacked you are just a victim of phishing, but there's no evidence that this is the case here. The guy even mentioned that he uses a unique password for PSN.

There is no way to tell really whether the account infiltration was the fault of the user or due to a hole in Sony's system. That doesn't mean its okay for Sony's policies on it to be completely one-sided in their favor.

antibolo

Banned
Gemüsepizza;155647312 said:
If your PSN account gets "hacked", it's 99% your fault, because you either use a shitty password, you use the same password for multiple services, or because you did not secure your computer properly.

And please stop with this two-factor stuff. Yes it can increase security. But how likely is it that someone will enable two factor authentication for his account if he is too fucking lazy to choose a strong password?

Nope. Nope. Nope.

If Sony provided two-factor auth, then yes, it would be 100% the fault of the user for getting his account hacked, because he failed to properly secure his account with the tools that are provided to him.

But since Sony does not provide two-factor auth, they actually do share responsibility in this, because they do NOT provide users with the appropriate minimum security measures to properly secure their accounts.

Ubersnug

It still AMAZES me that Sony haven't implemented two-step authentication on their PSN accounts. This should be mandatory on all services like this....

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Gemüsepizza;155647312 said:

Very good point, but sadly rarely stated. Ignorance of the need to use unique, strong passwords for each and every online service with a CC attached is far too commonplace.

EatMyFace

Banned
Victim of your own stupidity. Use strong unique passwords and be smart about what you click on. Have anti virus software on your PC(or better get a mac). Check your bank/credit accounts regularly. If you notice any suspicious activity the first thing you should do is cancel that credit card. Also like others said use PSN cards instead or but digital PS content through Amazon or GameStop.

As for Sony they should probably add 2Step verification by linking to a phone number or something. Until then though, you should take as much precautions as possible.
Seems crazy to me.
That's the last time I use anything other than pre-payed cards on PSN.
I don't think you understood the reply.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Make sure you have a unique password on PSN THAT U DON'T USE ANYWHERE ELSE. Don't click on fishy emails or tweets.

Sony didn't get hacked recently. So if you were "hacked" it's probably your fault.

More often than not it's not the password strength that's the main point of ingress, it's the email address.

You'll be safer with a unique PSN email with a reasonable password than you'll be with a shared email with a strong password.

2 pass authentication or riot

This. A thousands Times this.

I like how if I am buying a game for my Xbox from a pc I have to input a code that is sent to my phone. Makes me feel safer.

It should be basic security nowadays.

Feel sorry for those who get scammed and there is no protection of you or your games

Vagabundo

Hopefully the EU comes in with some sensible laws that allow for full refunds and protection for consumers at some point. Getting your account banned and losing access to the content you've bought should not be an option for these companies.

Aces&Eights

I see a lot of people assuming that if your account gets hacked you are just a victim of phishing, but there's no evidence that this is the case here. The guy even mentioned that he uses a unique password for PSN.

There is no way to tell really whether the account infiltration was the fault of the user or due to a hole in Sony's system. That doesn't mean its okay for Sony's policies on it to be completely one-sided in their favor.

It's completely unacceptable for Sony to do this. I've been a life long lover of the Playstation brand and this is, to me, the biggest thorn in it's side. It's astounding that a customer would have to be put into a position like this just for spending money with them but sadly, I don't see it changing anytime soon. Such is life. When I was a child we could go to the store and leave our house unlocked. Now, I have two deadbolts and a security camera. If the law would allow, I'd have King Cobras hanging around my windows and door frames.

The problem is that credit card disputes and charge backs are so commonly abused by customers to get items for free that they need to have some type of policy to prevent misuse.

But they also should have 2 step verification and make that decision to ban on a case by case basis.

Their policy now is too strict and is going to result in a lawsuit when the wrong person gets banned and loses many thousands in content.

Also using PayPal is a good alternative. That's what I do.

Zomba13

- Basically, if you are unlucky enough to have your account hacked, Sony will only refund up to $150 in charges.

That's a hell of a lot more than the "No we won't do anything" I got when my account was used for a bunch of unauthorised shit.

bomblord1

Banned
Was it FIFA related? That happened to me, got it taken care of in 2 weeks. and ever since then, i've always rotated my passwords around every other week.

I honestly don't remember it's been a few years I had to cancel my card over it and wait on Microsoft to complete a 2 week investigation in which they found out my account had indeed been accessed by an out of country IP.

Trogdor1123

First things first.

Make sure you have a good password

Remove you CC from the damn system, no one should leave their CC attached to anything like this regardless of where it is.

Next, those policies suck. Sony should really rethink them. They should have some kind of system that stops log ins from different regions or something... anything...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've said it before and I'll say it again; to me, and shit like this only compounds the feeling, Sony's services are the most anti-consumer in the industry. They are the market leader ATM, no excuse to not shape up!
I'd argue they're all rather anti-consumer in similar ways.

Mugatu

Your one of the only people i've ever heard that did that because Microsoft has banned accounts for chargebacks.

Because most people who complain about it do chargebacks for non-legitimate reasons. There's a huge difference between what he did and someone not happy about a purchase and doing a chargeback and those are the people you hear about most of the time. It has nothing to do with this issue.

Derpyduck

Banned
So I should have to Amazon and purchase prepaid credit cards to get online PSN content? Come on now.

Credit cards should be able to be used for one off purchases instead of auto filing it and Sony shouldn't have this weird policy about charge backs.

What's so difficult about getting cards from Amazon? Yes, it's an extra step, but as long as Sony doesn't offer two step verification, it's worth the extra step. Especially considering you get the code immediately upon purchase. Then just copy and paste it at the PSN site.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
This. A thousands Times this.

I like how if I am buying a game for my Xbox from a pc I have to input a code that is sent to my phone. Makes me feel safer.

It should be basic security nowadays.

Feel sorry for those who get scammed and there is no protection of you or your games

It's so secure it's almost annoying - accessing the marketplace on a new browser requires me to get an e-mail with a pin. Of course, not nearly as bad as getting a phonecall with a pin from gmail.

But I tell myself everytime it's far less annoying than getting my account hacked.

It's kind of shitty that PSN's policies are so bad while they lack 2-step authentication. Amazon is at least understanding of how stupid their security is.

Heaven help Sony if this ever happens to me.

HmOrk0s.gif

Aces&Eights

Doesn't everyone just use PayPal on steam, psn, etc? Its much more secure than using a card directly.

I'm probably just an old fart but I don't trust PayPal any more than I do Sony. Yes, it's more secure but the smaller digital footprint I have that exposes my CC info the better. Paypal also has your bank account numbers and routing numbers on file. Makes me sick to think that my info is on some server with them.

Hell, I'm so paranoid that on paydays, I go to walgreens and buy two $50 prepaid Visa. These I use for my online shopping for the week, PSN, Amazon, etc. I always pay cash for them. I do the same at Gamestop when buying PSN cards. Pay cash.

bomblord1

Banned
What's so difficult about getting cards from Amazon? Yes, it's an extra step, but as long as Sony doesn't offer two step verification, it's worth the extra step. Especially considering you get the code immediately upon purchase. Then just copy and paste it at the PSN site.

I wouldn't label it difficult I just don't think it should be necessary. The system should be like Nintendo's where it allows 1 off charges without storing your card.

Rocky

Banned
I wouldn't label it difficult I just don't think it should be necessary. The system should be like Nintendo's where it allows 1 off charges without storing your card.

You don't have to store your credit card on PSN. I do one offs all the time with them, mostly using my paypal account. And no system should be like Nintendo's.

I'm probably just an old fart but I don't trust PayPal any more than I do Sony. Yes, it's more secure but the smaller digital footprint I have that exposes my CC info the better. Paypal also has your bank account numbers and routing numbers on file. Makes me sick to think that my info is on some server with them.

This is a good point, and in all likelihood you are using your same primary email account for your Paypal account.

I think at least on consoles, I may switch to all physical. The benefits of digital, which I fully endorse (like not having the clutter of cases) don't outweight the possibility of this shit happening.

ironcreed

Banned
Victim of your own stupidity. Use strong unique passwords and be smart about what you click on. Have anti virus software on your PC(or better get a mac). Check your bank/credit accounts regularly. If you notice any suspicious activity the first thing you should do is cancel that credit card. Also like others said use PSN cards instead or but digital PS content through Amazon or GameStop.

So the victim deserves to have their account banned if they are stolen from? It's their fault? Right.

At any rate, I follow all of the above. No way will ever leave my info on PSN or LIVE.

Top Bottom